Angus per pound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus per pound?

How much are y’all seeing prices for a butchered angus go for?
    I’m being quoted $8.50. Is that in the ball park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds high to me. I sell fat cattle to folks to custom slaughter. They pay me for the live steer and pay the butcher themselves. I think it usually comes out closer to $4-5 a pound. But I’m selling the fat cattle at current market price that feedlots get for their fat cattle. I’m not gouging people on live price.

Comment

8.50 is butchered and vacuum sealed. I felt it was high too.

Comment

I am seeing ~$5/pound hanging weight.

Comment

A big % of that is going to be hamburger meat too. Too high in my opinion. I watch the sales and buy only choice cuts from HEB or Kroger and never ever pay full price for meat. 5.98 choice ribeye's last week for example. If it is just for convenience, then that's another thing, but you usually pay more for convenience. I`ve never bought into buying a whole beef anyway. There is a misconception that it cheaper in the long run. I think not.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3Yy6R7aqg"]Buying Bulk Beef? Learn How to Buy Freezer Beef! The Bearded Butchers - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by tpack; 08-13-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I pay 3.60 hanging weight vacuum sealed

Comment

If you want to do it yourself. Come pick one out. I can give you a deal. Grass fed.

Comment

I can give you a super deal on a wild cattle hunt. Crazy ***** Limousine, bad fence. Need them gone. Seriously, THEY BE WILD. Be better in cold weather for processing......

Comment

Dang. Now I need to figure out how to have the conversation with my friend who’s quoting 8.50.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                    Dang. Now I need to figure out how to have the conversation with my friend who’s quoting 8.50.

That’s not a friend.

Comment

We are paying right at $1/lb custom butcher

Comment

8.50 is butchered and vacuum sealed. I felt it was high too.

Yeah that’s what I’m talking about as well. Butchered and vacuum packed around $4-5 a pound. $8.50 is way too high.

So here is the last breakdown on a steer I sold.

Live weight 1400 @ 1.40 = $1960
                        Slaughter fee = $85
                        63% dressing percentage = 882 pound hanging weight
                        Processing @ $0.85 per pound = $749.70

80% yield = 705.6 pounds of take home product.
                        Total cost = 2794.70
                        Final cost = $3.96 per pound.

You cannot buy all that for that cheap at the grocery store. You can’t even buy hamburger meat that cheap at the grocery store. We usually get a third of ours in hamburger. You can get a s little or as much hamburger as you want depending on the way you have the carcass cut. If you are hell bent on paying $8.50 a pound for it, I’ll sell you one, have it butchered, and deliver it to you.

Keep in mind, this isn’t a “money making” part of my operation. I feed out the unmarketable steers that I can’t sell to the feedlots. Something that broke a leg, missing a tail, crooked back, blind, that sort of thing. So I don’t always have a steady supply. But I keep them on feed until they are finished. Generally, the cattle I butcher will grade mid to high choice with a few primes sprinkled in. Now, if I could just figure out how to produce a steer that all rib eyes and t bones…
                        Last edited by BlackdirtCowboy; 08-13-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I would start with the Dave Ramsey question “is that the best price you can do?” Then go into the “did some checking around and the average price ranges from $3-$5 hanging weight” “why would I pay more for this one?”

This ain’t about friends, this is business. I don’t mind someone making money, just don’t try to make it all off of me.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                            We are paying right at $1/lb custom butcher

Comment

Originally posted by BlackdirtCowboy View Post
                              Yeah that’s what I’m talking about as well. Butchered and vacuum packed around $4-5 a pound. $8.50 is way too high.

So here is the last breakdown on a steer I sold.

Live weight 1400 @ 1.40 = $1960
                              Slaughter fee = $85
                              63% dressing percentage = 882 pound hanging weight
                              Processing @ $0.85 per pound = $749.70

80% yield = 705.6 pounds of take home product.
                              Total cost = 2794.70
                              Final cost = $3.96 per pound.

You cannot buy all that for that cheap at the grocery store. You can’t even buy hamburger meat that cheap at the grocery store. We usually get a third of ours in hamburger. You can get a s little or as much hamburger as you want depending on the way you have the carcass cut. If you are hell bent on paying $8.50 a pound for it, I’ll sell you one, have it butchered, and deliver it to you.

Keep in mind, this isn’t a “money making” part of my operation. I feed out the unmarketable steers that I can’t sell to the feedlots. Something that broke a leg, missing a tail, crooked back, blind, that sort of thing. So I don’t always have a steady supply. But I keep them on feed until they are finished. Generally, the cattle I butcher will grade mid to high choice with a few primes sprinkled in. Now, if I could just figure out how to produce a steer that all rib eyes and t bones…
                              Thanks for breakdown ..very Interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X