meat thermometers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meat thermometers ?

at the recommendation of smart and others i picked up the Maverick Et-732 about 5+ years ago. about 2 years ago the probes started reading temps all over so i bought new probes. worked for a bit and now they are back at it. steak i just cooked it said it was 86* after 3min on each side of high flame. pulled it and it was med. moved probe to second steak that read 143*. thinking of buying a whole replacement unit, or a completely different brand? got any input on updated brands and models?

I’ve been happy with Meater

Comment

this will go 2 pages. do your homework, lots of good ones out there. lots of junk ones to.
      Last edited by waterdog; 04-27-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Probes are cheap, look at them as disposable. The probes on a new unit are gon a go bad too.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
          at the recommendation of smart and others i picked up the Maverick Et-732 about 5+ years ago. about 2 years ago the probes started reading temps all over so i bought new probes. worked for a bit and now they are back at it. steak i just cooked it said it was 86* after 3min on each side of high flame. pulled it and it was med. moved probe to second steak that read 143*. thinking of buying a whole replacement unit, or a completely different brand? got any input on updated brands and models?
          I purchased the maverick and it’s horrible! I have a $20 one that works much better! Horrible purchase

Comment

I have a thermapen and really like it.

Comment

I have an inkbird . Works good just wish it have a further Bluetooth range .

Comment

Maverick has worked well for me, but I replaced it with this one about 5 years ago.
                Works great.

I use a thermopop to double check too.
                Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

thermo pro -tp20 for the money is a good one.

Comment

Thermapen for a fancy one or the thermoworks $20.00 units work well too. I have both and like the cheap ones as much or more.

Comment

AccuRite $14.99 at Academy. Keeps up with my Thermapen.

Comment

meat thermometers ?

Been running Mavericks since 2011-2012. The same ET-732 and 733 for all those years. And they have been money for me.

Only lost one probe in that time in all my smoking and cooking with them and I got the one I use for my grate wet. Well my wife did when she thought she’d help out and started running water over it. [emoji15][emoji23]Dunked !!

The key is to not get the area where the probe meets the wire under water. I scrape them off with a butter knife and use a Clorox wipe to clean them up. Works well and keep the probes rolling. They are cheap to replace if you can’t do that one simple thing.

That being said, I have heard good things about the Thermopro brands of monitoring remote thermometers. I already use their insta-reads at home and the deer lease for my probing and checking thermo. They do a great job so the reports on the monitoring thermos don’t surprise me.

I also wanted to try something new and get one that I use an app on my phone with. RobinHood talked me into jumping off the ledge and giving the Inkbird Bluetooth thermo a shot. He’s used it for a year with solid results. I just ordered one this week but will have my tried and true mavericks on backup next cook . I hate to stray from a good thing but it would be nice to carry my phone only instead of my phone and a couple of remotes to the shop or home office while cooking.

I recommend getting both a monitoring thermo and and insta-read thermo. It covers all your bases.
                        Last edited by Smart; 04-27-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Red a lot of the probes are not high heat probes. I use the maverick for low temp, longer cooks. I use a thermapen for high heat cooks like steaks. Using the normal maverick probes on a high heat cook like a steak could be killing the probes. I don't use them but the meater mentioned above has good reviews and is a high heat probe.

Comment

meat thermometers ?

Here is the Insta-read handheld I use the most. Honestly I have 5-6 of them (different brands) between the house and deer lease but I always reach for the Thermopro at each place. BBQing or grilling. Helluva price on them right now too.

Limited-time deal: ThermoPro TP19H Digital Meat Thermometer for Cooking with Ambidextrous Backlit and Motion Sensing Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for BBQ Grill Smoker Oil Fry Candy Instant Read Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXSYLL8...D64WCRNSBCFVMR

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              I have an inkbird . Works good just wish it have a further Bluetooth range .

How far is your range with it? Im prob 50foot from my smoker through a wall in my home office.

Comment

Working...
                              X