No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with your pea patches! If you want to ever get anything up and growing enough to do any good, you'll have to put a hot wire around those pea patches. When they sprout and get about 3-4" high, the deer will wipe you out in one night! Or at least that has been my experience... We used to use that white cloth looking fence tape on fiberglass stakes and trees. After a week or two, you don't even have to have the charger on... The deer won't cross that white tape... Then when you want them to be able to eat there, just remove the tape... We used to remove it when they actually started to make peas... It's really the vegetation that the deer like. Once the plot gets mature enough to bloom/make peas, it can handle a lot of browsing and still grow... just have to keep 'em off of it when they first come up...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Good luck with your pea patches! If you want to ever get anything up and growing enough to do any good, you'll have to put a hot wire around those pea patches. When they sprout and get about 3-4" high, the deer will wipe you out in one night! Or at least that has been my experience... We used to use that white cloth looking fence tape on fiberglass stakes and trees. After a week or two, you don't even have to have the charger on... The deer won't cross that white tape... Then when you want them to be able to eat there, just remove the tape... We used to remove it when they actually started to make peas... It's really the vegetation that the deer like. Once the plot gets mature enough to bloom/make peas, it can handle a lot of browsing and still grow... just have to keep 'em off of it when they first come up...
      I planted about 9 acres of pipeline ROW last year and it did well because of my deer density. It was able to reach 3 leaf stage pretty easily without getting wiped out. I’m on a different property this year with a lower deer population so I’ve planted about 3 acres to see if it will have a chance. If so I’ll plant more next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
        I’m in. Looking forward to it as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Hope you get a big one picked out this year Tony. You sure kept us entertained and tuned in last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Planted Cow Peas Monday and now I’m looking for a good soaking rain. I hope I haven’t started a drought in ET.
          I hope you did, we could use it. Where drowning over here.

Comment

Hope you get a big one picked out this year Tony. You sure kept us entertained and tuned in last year.

Doubt I’ll be that lucky again but here is to hoping

Comment

Doubt I’ll be that lucky again but here is to hoping

You still leasing that same 40-acre piece? I mean I would if I were you. With that other buck gone somethings bound to show up and take his place

Comment

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                You still leasing that same 40-acre piece? I mean I would if I were you. With that other buck gone somethings bound to show up and take his place

Oh yeah. One of my 3 paid spots. Rest are permission. Joined some buddies on a cattle farm I’ve been trying to get on for years as well.

Last edited by Tshelly; 04-08-2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Comment

Looks like a mature buck. Love watching em grow.

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with her head,?

Comment

Did a little ride around this morning to check everything out. Had a section of lease that’s been impenetrable for 15+ years that they finally thinned, it’s primed for a new setup now just more work to add to the list.

Comment

3000# of monster buck protein blend and corn put out. Set up 2 new hog panel pens. It’s that time to start watching them grow.

This one is behind my house. Pretty sure I know who he is. He broke off last season early where he had a nontyp point and a drop tine. Be interesting to see what he does.
                          Also scored 10 more acres in town, backing up to a large wooded swampy area surrounded in sub divisions. Should be a good one hiding in there. Will set a cam on a corn pile and set what’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

One of my girls dropped her fawn this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                              3000# of monster buck protein blend and corn put out. Set up 2 new hog panel pens. It’s that time to start watching them grow.

This one is behind my house. Pretty sure I know who he is. He broke off last season early where he had a nontyp point and a drop tine. Be interesting to see what he does.
                              Also scored 10 more acres in town, backing up to a large wooded swampy area surrounded in sub divisions. Should be a good one hiding in there. Will set a cam on a corn pile and set what’s there.

Those small tracts next to town or subdivisions can sure yield some monsters. A friend of mine owns 15 acres that boarders the city limits of Elkhart. He shot a 182 4 years ago behind his house.

Comment

Those small tracts next to town or subdivisions can sure yield some monsters. A friend of mine owns 15 acres that boarders the city limits of Elkhart. He shot a 182 4 years ago behind his house.

Oh I already know. I’ve been hunting the suburbs for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X