Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns

Has anybody seen a year like this for acorns? I’m not talking about the oak trees in a subdivision but the ones that were really stressed out by the drought. I’ve never seen this many acorns on the ground. I raise exotics and for the last month I can go out there and throw corn and only a handful of deer will come out. Walking under the trees there are still acorns everywhere and I have a high stocking rate of deer. I’ve basically have the protein feeders off right now

This is the most I have ever seen that I can remember.

Comment

Agreed on all accounts. We did some trimming of limbs at my buddies place last year, and the branches are so loaded from acorns now that you can't see a thing, and he has to hunt in a different spot. Supposedly when oaks are stressed by drought, they go into overdrive as far as acorn production to hopefully guarantee a new generation.

Comment

I picked up 100 lbs of acorns from one tree in my front yard. It's a subdivion tree, but I dont water my yard much if any at all.

Comment

2018 was the most by a LONG shot.

Comment

Agreed on all accounts. We did some trimming of limbs at my buddies place last year, and the branches are so loaded from acorns now that you can't see a thing, and he has to hunt in a different spot. Supposedly when oaks are stressed by drought, they go into overdrive as far as acorn production to hopefully guarantee a new generation.
            hog_down is online now Report Post

Well congratulations to them…. They did it!!!

Comment

Around here the small shrub oak trees are freaking loaded for once. Big oak trees not many acorns.

But we also still have persimmon berries which are usually gone by the end of Sept/mid Oct.

Comment

Acorns here are STILL falling! Never seen anything like it!

Comment

There's really not that many at my place in Young county this year.

Comment

Acorns

It is like this everywhere I have seen. I did some research on this phenomenon and it appears we are in a "Masting" year. You can Google Oak Tree Masting and make a determination yourself but it is just crazy how many acorns there are this year.

Comment

Horrible here in Gillespie County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ours produced almost none.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots in Montgomery county. Don’t know if it’s the most I’ve ever seen in the last 20 years but it’s definitely up there

Comment

I'm in Leon county. 3 large oaks on my back hill where I hunt. Never seen as many acorns as this year. A literal carpet.

Comment

There are good years and not-so good years. I guess I've seen most type. This year is good. White oak and red oak acorns all over the place.
                              I will say that this is the best year for foliage that I have seen in many years. East Texas has been beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                              X