No announcement yet.

Hag Segment C 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand not wanting folks all over your place right before you have a hunt. At least he gave them a shot at it if it was a simple recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
      The owner of the property gave the GW and Jason permission to cross onto his place but asked once no more blood was found they stop. He has a hunt planned out there for this week and didn’t want people to just be wandering around.

Jason and the GW found blood on the property but then no more. The GW determined to stop and they left the property.

Is the deer dead-highly likely

If the property owner finds the deer dead hopefully he will get the head to either the GW or Jason.

Jason was my hunting partner for Hag and I promise you no one more than me wanted Jason to be able to recover the deer but it is what it is.

Jason pulled his socks up grabbed his bow and hunted the rest of the day.

There have been plenty of landowners that wouldn’t even let you look, most surrounding owners HATE the Hag hunt because we are killing THIER deer so I think this guy was gracious to even let them try.

Just my $0.02
      Yep, well said. He doesn’t have to let them look at all. I know plenty that wouldn’t. The right thing was done backing out when loosing blood.

Comment

Been following and living vicariously through y’all. Congratulations to the successful and condolences to the ones who couldn’t find their deer. I too do not blame the neighboring landowner for not wanting strangers walking all around on his place, good on him for allowing a search at all. Maybe he’ll find the buck and get it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          Gents, I had to head out @1pm, I got to see Perows deer in my rearview, Antlers- sorry about the loss of a deer, it's sad that the landowner didn't want you spending much time- it's not his deer.

I enjoyed it immensely as I do each time, I'm tired, but thanks for taking me along on your Hagerman weekend. Big ones are still there, as I, and you know they are.

Doug, thanks for volunteering all weekend. It was good to see you and you made the check in/out process efficient as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We didn’t lose blood. It started clotting and rather than 5-10 drops every 2-3 ft it started clotting and being quarter size clots every 10-20 yds. The buck tracks started digging in hard to the ground 175 yds in on the track and spreading out like he was running. I say “death run” type. Reason we backed out is because he turned to a hunting setup direction and GW saw a blind. Landowner didn’t want us tracking through his setups so we called and told him where the last blood was and sent him the pin. Had I walked another 10-20 yds following the tracks I would have found more blood.

Pics of blood. He was dripping like this every 2-3’ for over 100yds. My guess is 1 lung and I believe I clipped heart but very little. 1 lung deer will go 500+ yds and lay up. 4-5 hrs dead. I believe he was making a death run the last spot we were at before we were asked to go no further. Another 200-300 yds I think he is layer up in brush, grass or thicket dead.
            Attached Files

Comment

As a landowner myself, I can’t imagine NOT letting someone come across to search for a deer, ESPECIALLY if a GW is with them. Shows little respect for the deer. And they didn’t lose blood. It was getting more sparse and the LO didn’t want them going any further because he didn’t want them to ruin his upcoming hunt on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                We didn’t lose blood. It started clotting and rather than 5-10 drops every 2-3 ft it started clotting and being quarter size clots every 10-20 yds. The buck tracks started digging in hard to the ground 175 yds in on the track and spreading out like he was running. I say “death run” type. Reason we backed out is because he turned to a hunting setup direction and GW saw a blind. Landowner didn’t want us tracking through his setups so we called and told him where the last blood was and sent him the pin. Had I walked another 10-20 yds following the tracks I would have found more blood.

Pics of blood. He was dripping like this every 2-3’ for over 100yds. My guess is 1 lung and I believe I clipped heart but very little. 1 lung deer will go 500+ yds and lay up. 4-5 hrs dead. I believe he was making a death run the last spot we were at before we were asked to go no further. Another 200-300 yds I think he is layer up in brush, grass or thicket dead.
                I had public land buck exactly like that in 2003, we never found him. Every time I've seen deer buck or doe go that far and blood starts clumping the recovery results were always bad.

Comment

Nice work brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wish y’all could use a tracking dog and go get him. Ricky Loftis up here has a pair of hounds that are as good as they come and recover consistently

Comment

Congrats. I’ve been feeding that deer for a couple years now. Glad you got him.
                      I knew he’d be good once he shed velvet.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                        No way that’s cool

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post

Got any pics of him over the couple years you've been feeding him?

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                            Got any pics of him over the couple years you've been feeding him?
                            I’ve got plenty of him growing this year. I’ll send to Perow. He can post them if he wants.

Comment

The owner of the property gave the GW and Jason permission to cross onto his place but asked once no more blood was found they stop. He has a hunt planned out there for this week and didn’t want people to just be wandering around.

Jason and the GW found blood on the property but then no more. The GW determined to stop and they left the property.

Is the deer dead-highly likely

If the property owner finds the deer dead hopefully he will get the head to either the GW or Jason.

Jason was my hunting partner for Hag and I promise you no one more than me wanted Jason to be able to recover the deer but it is what it is.

Jason pulled his socks up grabbed his bow and hunted the rest of the day.

There have been plenty of landowners that wouldn’t even let you look, most surrounding owners HATE the Hag hunt because we are killing THIER deer so I think this guy was gracious to even let them try.

Just my $0.02

Well put, we hope he’ll find the deer and get it back to the rightful owner!!

Comment

Do we have a final count?

I accomplished something I didn’t think was possible. I hunted all day Friday, all day Saturday and half day Sunday and I didn’t see or hear a single deer or hog the whole time.

I saw:
                                1. A bald eagle
                                2. 6-7 coyotes running together across a pipeline at 40 yards
                                3. A cotton tail
                                4. various tweetie birds and crows

Nevertheless, I’d do the whole thing again next weekend if I could for a shot at a Hag deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X