Gift for my son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift for my son

So my dad passed about 6 years ago and left me with some heirlooms.

My son, who is now 8, has been into hunting since a kid. Always gone with me. He mentioned the other day that he wants to hunt now.

I said great and that he would need to take a Hunter's Safety Course to hunt by himself. Dad is still gonna go with him though.

He turns 9 in June and I'm thinking about giving him my dad's old (1980 model) Ruger M77 in 6 mm Remington. He is a bigger kid 100 lb. and about 5 foot tall so far.

What are your thoughts on this caliber and rifle? We can hand load so ammo availability is not a huge concern.

He mainly wants to hunt WT deer and hogs.

6mm was my first deer gun...get him to the range & start with a 22 to gain confidence / grouping / trigger pull then move to the 6.

Comment

x 2 at what Artos mentioned.

Comment

x3 My first rifle was a 6mm

Comment

Yep. My first was a 6mm Remington model 742. My kids shoot it now.

Comment

I think that is a good choice

Comment

6mm Rem was my first gun. Great choice...light recoil and a hammer on deer. I shot 100gr partitions.

Comment

Excellent choice

Comment

He will love it!

Comment

I killed a lot of deer with a 6mm when I was young. 3 or 4 by the time I was his age, and I was the smallest kid in my class growing up. It's about as perfect a gun you can get for a youngin in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Built my nephew a 6 Creedmoor at 5 and he’s been killing hogs by himself with it since then. Never had any help holding or shooting the rifle from me or dad. He shoots off a tripod all by himself, and he’s easily the smallest kid in his class and has been.

Comment

Get sum.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that caliber. One thing I think worked well with my kids is I never let them shoot anything bigger than a 22 until they shot their first deer. They never got a chance to get nervous of the kick or the noise and didn't notice either when they were pumped up shooting their first deer.

Comment

Perfect choice. Great gun and round.
                            Good advice above
                            I’ll only add to make sure the scope is far enough back for him to be comfortable and quick with it. And it is a good scope he will use it many years

Started mine with lighter loads.

Comment

If I remember right 6mm is essentially a .243.

Great gun to start a hunting career with.

Comment

Working...
                              X