Congratulations to your son!!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
        My son got a nice one this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
        Beautiful buck! Congrats to your son

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          Right there with you in Houston County. Usually the last weekend of bow season to around the opening of the general season is the most active year to year on our place but this year has been a dud. Usually we have less acorns. With a bumper crop, the does don't have to move far from their bedding area to eat and can lay back down in cover. Does staying in cover and not having to come to feed areas being hunted translates to bucks not having to come far out of cover. I think this is the issue on our place. I have NEVER seen this many acorns on the ground in the woods. The timing of the last couple of big fronts dropped a ton of acorns right at the time of peak rut activity.
          Hunt near Grapeland in Houston County as well and this is 100% accurate for us. Time to break out the hang and hunt setup and go into the thick cover.

Comment

Houston county busted loose this weekend. Bucks running doe all day long. Every buck I saw was a buck I had never seen. Never saw a regular. Heck I had a young 8 point chasing my truck down the side of a road.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
              Houston county busted loose this weekend. Bucks running doe all day long. Every buck I saw was a buck I had never seen. Never saw a regular. Heck I had a young 8 point chasing my truck down the side of a road.
              Polar opposite for us. Dad and I hunted daylight to 10-11 and back out at 230 till dark. Wife sat 12 hours or so between sat and sun. I never saw a buck, she saw a forky and my dad saw the same 8 twice. Meanwhile does sat in food plots un molested.

From 5a-9a cell camera sending pics of does on food plots. One buck cruised by and he didnt seem entertained. Same buck passes that came 3x a day

Comment

Yesterday evening sat in Henderson County. 6 doe, 1 spike (literally only had 1), small 7 point not legal, and had a buck come in right at dark and too late to do anything, couldn't tell how big but my mind was telling me he was a bruiser lol. The spike and the 7 were harassing 3 doe and the last buck came in with 2 doe. Can't get in the stand again until probably Wednesday evening. Hoping it's still active.

Comment

Yesterday morning was the most fun I've had in the woods and not pulled the trigger. From daylight to 11 I saw no less than 10 bucks, all running wide open. One buck was probably the biggest overall buck I've ever seen in east TX, including 12" brow tines. He would've been 20"+ wide and going on the wall buuuuut...he'd broken his left main beam off just past the brow tine, so I let him walk.

My dad killed a stud of a 9-point yesterday evening though, and even being 2 weeks into the prime part of the rut still went 185 lbs. on the hoof.

Comment

I hunted Friday-Sunday AM and had a great time in the woods, I used to be a last weekend of October guy but it seems the Veterans day time frame has been better and better for us the last couple of years.
                    Friday prior to the front I saw two full on step for step chases by mature bucks, one I am familiar with and have passed a couple of times now split brow 9pt. The second one I didn't recognize from any TC pics and didn't have enough time to get the camera on him and shoot but he was a good one.
                    Saturday morning and afternoon had the resident young bucks harrassing the does then a pretty good 4-5 year old 8 walked right past them to eat corn in the pen. He was broken off right past his left G3, back legs were soaked and black all the way down so he may have just been worn out and recouping.
                    Then Sunday morning started off slow with a couple of single does and small bucks. One of the does had a buck probably 4 with real long bladed brows follow her exact tracks about 20 mins behind her. Good mass and charcheter with those brows, looking forward to see what he might turn into. Then about 8 o'clock my number 1 came out alone feeding on hand corn, by the time I got the ear muffs on my daughter and camera moved to that window he was feeding away from me, waited until he turned but still hard quartering away. Watching the video he took a step back and turned his body right as I squeezed off. Pretty disgusted with myself for taking the shot angle I did and missing at that. Only silver lining is it was a clean miss and as I set on the couch yesterday afternoon he walked in front of a cell camera 10 yards from where he stood yesterday morning so maybe I will get another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                      Beautiful buck! Congrats to your son
                      Awesome buck! Congrats for him and you.

Comment

Congratulations to all successful hunters so far. I hunted 7 sits on my place in Harrison county this past weekend and did not see 1 deer. I don't know what the problem is. I run 2 corn feeders year round on a pipeline. I cannot get off the pipeline because all my neighbors hunt plus a big deer lease to my South. I always hope to catch one crossing.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          wow......i likey.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                            My son got a nice one this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Nice deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                              Congratulations to all successful hunters so far. I hunted 7 sits on my place in Harrison county this past weekend and did not see 1 deer. I don't know what the problem is. I run 2 corn feeders year round on a pipeline. I cannot get off the pipeline because all my neighbors hunt plus a big deer lease to my South. I always hope to catch one crossing.
                              I don't know about your place, but on mine they are not hitting any corn or protein. They are hitting food plots and cleaning up the tons of acorns that are currently on the ground. My guess is there are some good oaks around and that's where they are at, maybe they will spoil soon and come back. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
                                I don't know about your place, but on mine they are not hitting any corn or protein. They are hitting food plots and cleaning up the tons of acorns that are currently on the ground. My guess is there are some good oaks around and that's where they are at, maybe they will spoil soon and come back. Good luck!
                                This.

I went from 500lbs per month per protein feeder to 25lbs per month per feeder since season started. And they prefer protein over corn.

Comment

Working...
                                X