Throckmorton Area: Hunting Report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone up that way let me know how the hunting is looking up there this year after the drought? Are you seeing a decline in your bucks?

I'm also curious how the rut is looking right now. We were up there last year around the 12th and it was pretty active. We are headed up next week on the 17-19th and the weather looks pretty good. I'm hoping the hunting is good. Last year I was blessed to knock down two good bucks in the first two hunts. I'm sure I'll never see that happen again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221110_071058.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	25297191

Name:	Screenshot_20211111-210842_Gallery.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	25297192

Name:	Screenshot_20211112-113609_Gallery.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1,004.5 KB
ID:	25297193

We aren’t seeing nearly the bucks we were last year. I think the rut is probably in full swing right now. Maybe you’ll catch the tail end of the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      We aren’t seeing nearly the bucks we were last year. I think the rut is probably in full swing right now. Maybe you’ll catch the tail end of the good stuff.

Yah I was afraid of that. Less numbers and overall activity or just less of the bigger more mature bucks?

Comment

Same as Moser here. No real quality bucks seen. Seeing plenty of deer, but nothing on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          Yah I was afraid of that. Less numbers and overall activity or just less of the bigger more mature bucks?

Overall numbers are fine, but the older bucks I recognize from last year look just like they did last year, and not seeing very many mature bucks. I was optimistic that we got enough timely, localized, rain to avoid a down year… But that does not seem to be the case.

If I remember right, that place you go doesn’t get fed or hunted very much… I think you guys will have a great hunt.

Bring your rattling horns for mid day, and find some BIG oaks to watch.

Comment

I’m on the county line. In the stand right now. It’s a pig hunting year. Actually shot one 10 minutes ago.

Horns are weak this year. Summer was too dang dry. We did get our best rain in two years a couple weeks ago. I planted 100 acres of plots and it’s has come up really well. Too little too late for horns though.

Bucks are chasing now. North wind and cooler temps tomorrow has me hoping some buck I haven’t seen cruises through. All the resident bucks are nothing to get excited about this year

Comment

Working...
            X