Replacing interior doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing interior doors

So I was asked to replace some interior doors with slab doors. I am no carpenter and have never done this before. I watched some YouTube videos and it looks like you need to shave off a little on the interior edge on the hinge side so that it will close properly. I measured a couple around the house and they are 1/8 to 1/4" shaved off.

Can someone talk me through a door replacement with a slab door? What skill level is required for this job?

Tagged as I need to do this soon.

Comment

You can take the old door off and get the measurements on where place the hinges to match the old door. If you screw up, it ain’t fun. Cutting out the places where the hinges go can be done with a router. I have done it a few times but hated doing it. Too easy to screw up.

Comment

Make sure you measure from the top of door to top of each hinge for hinge placement. If they are all the same you can sometimes order them pre-prepped for those hinge location. Lead time is longer but sometimes worth the wait.

Comment

You can buy a template

Comment

You don’t need to shave anything off the hinge side. As long as the doors are the same thickness and width all you have to do is install the hinges and hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              You don’t need to shave anything off the hinge side. As long as the doors are the same thickness and width all you have to do is install the hinges and hardware.

That is what I am hoping. I need to check the measurements.

Comment

Since I need to do the same but with more hollow cores, I like reading this.

Ive been told its easier to just replace the door, case and all. I dont like the sound of that. Assuming its the same process

Comment

I did this in my old house a few years ago. No need to shave anything, I believe they are already beveled slightly on both sides on the latch side of the door.

Take 1 door down, measure hinges, router hinges, install door. Then repeat for each door. Don't take them all down at once and try to do it, you will be surprised how much variance there will be in the measurements. Much easier than replacing door frame and trim.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                    I did this in my old house a few years ago. No need to shave anything, I believe they are already beveled slightly on both sides on the latch side of the door.

Take 1 door down, measure hinges, router hinges, install door. Then repeat for each door. Don't take them all down at once and try to do it, you will be surprised how much variance there will be in the measurements. Much easier than replacing door frame and trim.
                    Is a slab door marked which side is the latch side?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                      Is a slab door marked which side is the latch side?
                      No. They can be used for either left or right swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Since I need to do the same but with more hollow cores, I like reading this.

Ive been told its easier to just replace the door, case and all. I dont like the sound of that. Assuming its the same process
                        Easier to just do the doors. Unless you are repainting everything. Pulling trim off tends to cause other problems. If you do pull the trim off take a razor knife and go around the edge of the trim. Otherwise you may rip a good sized layer of sheetrock off with the trim. If a door were to bind on the hinge side you can just move the hinges away from the jamb just a tad.

Comment

You'll need to either order the replacement doors with your OEM hinge & bore placements, or just buy the slabs and bore/mortise them yourself. Our primary door plant charges just about as much for custom bore/mortise labor as the door itself costs. That being said, it's probably money well spent for most folks. As previously said, you need to take all measurements from the top of the door; to the top of each hinge (AND measure hinge width as well...and whether it has square, 1/4" radius, or 5/8" radius corners). Measure from the top of the door to the center of the bore for that placement.

Demoing and installing a new door unit requires a certain skill level above just replacing the door. If it's not square and plumb, it'll never close & latch correctly.

Comment

Easier to just do the doors. Unless you are repainting everything. Pulling trim off tends to cause other problems. If you do pull the trim off take a razor knife and go around the edge of the trim. Otherwise you may rip a good sized layer of sheetrock off with the trim. If a door were to bind on the hinge side you can just move the hinges away from the jamb just a tad.
                            Thanks

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post

Demoing and installing a new door unit requires a certain skill level above just replacing the door. If it's not square and plumb, it'll never close & latch correctly.
                            That's what I've been told

Comment

I just replaced about 10 old doors in a house I renovated. Replaced with two panel hollow core doors. I had to shave a hair off almost each one to get them to fit right. I bought the hinge template and used my router to cut the hinges in the doors. It was a pain. Lots of other good advice above

Comment

Working...
                              X