Improved Gulf Oysters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    I think the only modification is how they grow em. Could be wrong. Maybe they crossbred em haha. They would stand side by side with most cold water oysters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eastern oysters (Gulf) oysters “tricked” to be sterile which results in a Triploid oyster, that’s what I’ll be growing in East Matagorda Bay. I’ll be sending brood stock from here to the hatchery to get my seed

Comment

Funny story about Alabama oysters. Last time I was in Maui, my wife and MIL would buy the oysters at little shops that would open them revealing a pearl. Then the shop would mount them in a piece of jewelry. Pure luck as to what color pearl would be in there.
      I asked where the oysters were from. “Farmed in Alabama”.

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

This sounds great and I am very interested in the fact that this will limit or eliminate wild oyster harvesting that ruins oyster reefs over and over. My question is how is this done in relation to public waterways? Are bays or parts of bays going to be leased to the highest bidder and public access not allowed? I want these questions answered before I get too excited.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            This sounds great and I am very interested in the fact that this will limit or eliminate wild oyster harvesting that ruins oyster reefs over and over. My question is how is this done in relation to public waterways? Are bays or parts of bays going to be leased to the highest bidder and public access not allowed? I want these questions answered before I get too excited.
            All of your questions will be answered when the state figures out how they can capitalize and regulate and charge the buyer a consumer fee.

Comment

I’m gonna make a point to try these out asap! Just for a second opinion and all.

Comment

Ask leemo. He just got permitted for acreage to do something like this in Matagorda bay I think. Some Texas bay.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Man, I love me some oysters.

Like nothing else....
                  I used to get'em at least once a month...

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    The raw oysters thread the other day had me hungry. Went to a place that had a good variety to try. Tried the Point aux Pins oysters and they were out of this world. Figured they were cold water NE shellfish. Nope. Alabama. Below is a write up. Looking forward to a lot more of this taking place in the Gulf of Mexico bays.

Long Island Sound, maybe? Cape Cod Bay? Duxbury Harbor? Would you believe Alabama? They’ve got the look of a classic Northeast oyster, but they are Gulf oysters through and through. (Native to Cedar Point, in fact, before the Auburn Shellfish Laboratory gets a hold of them.) The difference is, they are farmed, and, apparently, that is enough to turn a Gulf oyster into a Northeast oyster. Instead of the superthick shell, these get a nice cup and an urbane black-and-white polish to the shell. This happens because these oysters are raised in cylindrical mesh containers that roll with the tides and tumble the oysters, ensuring that deep cup. The plump meats and healthy ivory color come from the algae-rich waters of Grand Bay, Alabama, where they are grown.

I went to a presentation by Auburn University researchers........don't right amazing!!!! My daughter was there for undergrad and it was always some amazing things going on. Oysters are definitely a favorite of mine but not good for my pseudo keto lifestyle. I did cheat 2 weeks ago and had a poboy in Lafayette.....lol.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to the Fish Camp for lunch today, and I can confirm they are great!

Comment

I wish all of these places to eat weren’t so far from me. Been wanting to try LaBlanc’s badly but I never seem to be in that part of the world. One eat I guess.

Comment

Whatever you do, no matter where you go, always request Wellfleet oysters. I'm a self described oyster fanatic and just had some of those recently and they were unbelievable....
                          Bobby

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are leasing areas on several bays. The way I read it, public access won't be effected, but I doubt any of these folks would want you running through their spreads.

If you want to know what off bottom oyster harvest looks like, check out Murder Point Oysters (from Alabama) website. I don't know that I have had a better oyster.

Comment

I have always been told eating gulf oysters in hot months was a big no no. What makes these different?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                                I have always been told eating gulf oysters in hot months was a big no no. What makes these different?
                                I wouldn’t say it’s a no no in the hot months but the oyster is fatter in the colder months which to me delivers a better taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X