No announcement yet.

Top 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was one of the guys in the back room before graduation scanning the sheets on the walls for my name. My grades were ok, my SAT score was 1100, or 1110, or somesuch. But there were a few other issues to be settled as to whether or not I’d be allowed to graduate. As it turns out my girlfriends dad thought highly enough of me to put in a good word with his buddy, the principal, about a few “extracurricular” activities that could have been an issue.

I think our class was about 550, but the town was still small enough that my name and reputation mattered.

Keller was a different place back then…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Top 10

I was 7th……out of 34.

I never studied or put much an effort into school as my life was all about sports and my social life. I crushed the ACT and was admitted and graduated from the only college I applied to - The University of Texas at Austin. I put the same effort into my studies at Texas as I did in high school as my job with the football team and partying took precedent, but I was able to skate through and graduate.
      Last edited by Heath; 07-24-2022, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Top 10%. No idea how many in my class, etc. National Honor Society, school newspaper, football team, and some other stuff. HS was easy.

Comment

It’s probably all relative and I’m sure some of us went to some rough high schools with some real superstars. Haha

Comment

No but my two daughters were both valedictorians and my son just graduated salutatorian.

Comment

I was 25th out of 112 and rarely brought a book home. I was in the DECA work program and got out at 12:10 every day my jr/sr years to go work. I viewed HS as a social engagement. After HS I went to college on a rodeo scholarship and barely got by on the schoolwork. I just thought college was pointless. Today I make a good living doing what I enjoy and have no regrets, but if I could go back I would've gone to trade school to be an HVAC tech, or maybe an electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                Dropped out of of high school and went and got my GED the next week. Enrolled in Houston Community college and started working. 17 years later I graduated with my bachelors degree that I paid for as I went from Sam Houston. During that time got married paid off the house, paid cash for vehicles and have my daughters college funded if she chooses to go that route. Not bad for a drop out turned police officer and a teacher.
                Absolutely & well done sir

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                  I like people who graduated top of their class with multiple degrees. They make great employees[emoji6]

I rarely made it to class in college. “C”s get degrees and keep you eligible for the archery team.

Sold my company the month before I turned 40 and bought my first ranch. I now sit on the senior leadership team for the company I sold to. I strive to be the dumbest person on the team in any situation where money is at stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  They don’t all make great employees. Piece of paper doesn’t = work ethic & trustworthy

However I like your story & you have done well

I know a guy who graduated HS & started a small light construction business doing odds & ends like culverts, driveways, gate installs. Drive a beat up dump truck.
                  Few years later he trailered his business prepping oil well sites at the start of the oil boom in the 70s/80s
                  Fifteen years later oil boom started fizzling & he liquidated his assets & was very well off by age 40

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfellah View Post
                    No but my two daughters were both valedictorians and my son just graduated salutatorian.

Nice 👍

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                      I was 25th out of 112 and rarely brought a book home. I was in the DECA work program and got out at 12:10 every day my jr/sr years to go work. I viewed HS as a social engagement. After HS I went to college on a rodeo scholarship and barely got by on the schoolwork. I just thought college was pointless. Today I make a good living doing what I enjoy and have no regrets, but if I could go back I would've gone to trade school to be an HVAC tech, or maybe an electrician.
                      Yep college is not for everyone & doing what you love is certainly worthy
                      My next door neighbor is a Farrier

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        #2 out of 42 students.
                        Explains the grammar & punctuation standards

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                          Explains the grammar & punctuation standards
                          Nope. They teach you that stuff in elementary school.

The guy ahead of me became a medical doctor.

Comment

I’m surprised Chew isn’t the grammar police guy being a Professional Writer & Technical Communicator

Comment

Undiagnosed dyslexia, I believe, kept me out of the top of the class. I was 114/170, not from lack of trying just struggled. Went to ACU having to take about 12 hrs of remedial classes but graduated with a 3.4 and went in in to get a Masters and finished with a 3.9. Still struggle with dyslexia but I’m definitely a better person because of it.

Comment

Around 400 or so in my class. I finished dead last.

Comment

Working...
                                X