Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default I hate wasps

Any anything else that stings

Took a hit to the eyelid by a red wasp this afternoon, demons were hiding down in a 6" pipe that the gate is chained to

Didn't swell completely shut but it hurt BAD

I got even though. After the Ibuprofen kicked in I killed them and 3 more nests I happened to find
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Trevor73402
Ten Point

I’ve always taken the “don’t bother me and I won’t bother you” stance on wasps......until this year. I was starting to have a full blown wasp farm around my place. They decided to build a nest in a large cedar box that sits on my front porch. When I’d walk up to go in the house, they’d hit me. Plus they were getting my dogs too when they were on the porch. I’d decided it was time to rain down death on them. I took out one nest in my shop that was the size of a paper plate. Got the ones on the porch. 3 more nests along the eves of the house. That foaming spray is the only way to go. They can’t come after you once you spray them with.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
ChickenWilly
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Ouch! Cant imagine getting hit on the eye lid! I got hammered by 6 or 8 of them the other day. But luckily because of my ninja like reflexes only 3 of them actually connected. Their nest didnt survive the attack either

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
Twist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Got popped on my left bicep by a yella jacket Friday evening myself not long after the daughter and I climbed into the blind.

Only things I killed the rest of the weekend was time, wasps in various other blinds and a case or so of beer.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Had a U of H professor across the street and he told me he had never been stung by anything.
How do you get 30 years old and not get hit. I hate Red Wasps.
Honey bees a bit more than a mosquito bite. Had hives for 5 years.........
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Trapper76
Six Point

Thank goodness it didn’t actually hit your eye! It’s funny how some wasp nests aren’t too aggressive, others will tag you without provocation.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #7
ArcherAG 93
Ten Point

I got popped on the shoulder by one yesterday. I hate those suckers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArcherAG 93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper76 View Post
Thank goodness it didnt actually hit your eye! Its funny how some wasp nests arent too aggressive, others will tag you without provocation.

My grandad had horrible glaucoma in one of his eyes. Then one day, while mowing the grass, red wasp stung him right in his GOOD eye. Spent the last 5 years of his life **** near blind. That wasp completely took out that eye. It was dead. Nothing to mess around with.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Never had a red wasp to the eyelid but did have yellow jacket to the eye lid while dove hunting. Sat against an old fence post and out of the ground and post they care. Swole my eye almost shut and face a bit, but still managed to hit a limit. Now I kill them all, as I noticed I have a slight reaction and little more to red wasps.

bmac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #10
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I approach everything with the attitude that it has a wasp nest in it. I watch it for a minute then decide if I really need to pick it up. Hornets are the worst. I go through 3-6 bottles of wasp killer every year. I hate them!
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 04:02 AM   #11
Kossetx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Ive always taken the dont bother me and I wont bother you stance on wasps......until this year. I was starting to have a full blown wasp farm around my place. They decided to build a nest in a large cedar box that sits on my front porch. When Id walk up to go in the house, theyd hit me. Plus they were getting my dogs too when they were on the porch. Id decided it was time to rain down death on them. I took out one nest in my shop that was the size of a paper plate. Got the ones on the porch. 3 more nests along the eves of the house. That foaming spray is the only way to go. They cant come after you once you spray them with.

This has always been my stance too but I got tired of getting stung. I figure they were the ones to break the deal.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=wasp

The problem with wasp sprays is they do nothing to deter re-infestation. I've had good luck now with a demon/bifen mix. It helps deter them from returning but kills a lot of other things too. Dead bugs everywhere. I mean LOTS of dead bugs.
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #12
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

#MeToo
I turn into a baby back bee-otch around those little demons. For some reason they love to sting me
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I approach everything with the attitude that it has a wasp nest in it. I watch it for a minute then decide if I really need to pick it up. Hornets are the worst. I go through 3-6 bottles of wasp killer every year. I hate them!
I'm allergic--------So, if it's ok with you....
I'll just follow you around.....
Got hit, on the knee last year, trimming hedges...
Made me sick for two days.....
I didn't use my epi-pen, cause my throat didn't close up....
hate'em..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

Took a hit to the eyelid by a red wasp this afternoon, demons were hiding down in a 6" pipe that the gate is chained to

I got even though. After the Ibuprofen kicked in I killed them and 3 more nests I happened to find
When I was in high school or early college, I remember leaving the ranch in Fisher Co. one day...I slammed the gate closed and when locking it, got bit on the neck. The next day, the same thing happened.

The third day, I figured out they were coming out of the angle pipe support on the gate, so I took my 12gu shotgun and blasted a shell up in there (STUPID kid) and a burnt shredded nest came rolling out. hahaha.

Not very wise, but I lived and learned without injury.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #15
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

WD40 acts like a nerve agent on them and the nests. Ya never have wasp spray around when ya need it, but ya always have WD40
I try to leave pollinators alone, but there is a line that they cross there is no coming back from.
Hope you feel better soon BT.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #16
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Diesel in a garden spray works pretty good.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #17
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
WD40 acts like a nerve agent on them and the nests. Ya never have wasp spray around when ya need it, but ya always have WD40
I try to leave pollinators alone, but there is a line that they cross there is no coming back from.
Hope you feel better soon BT.
Soapy water will kill them just as fast and a whole lot cheaper. I killed some bushes in front of my house with wasp spray. Although there is some level of satisfaction from using wasp spray , soapy water won’t kill your plants like the chemicals will.
AlaskaFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #18
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
I'm the same way I won't get on the tractor or hook up to a trailer without banging on it with something.. nothing worse than bending down to raise the foot on a trailer and hitting your head on the goose neck because the wasp get after you..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #19
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Eye looks like I have been in a fight. I can see fine but if you touch it the whole upper half of my eye socket hurts

Luckily it did not get my eyeball

Going to keep a can on the 4 wheeler for now
Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 AM   #20
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
#MeToo
I turn into a baby back bee-otch around those little demons. For some reason they love to sting me

I hate it when they poundmetoo but that I just turn around and pound them with spray and then a heavy boot

bmac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #21
DRettele
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

It is really satisfying hitting them with the wasp spray. I do know that a buck of soapy water works really well too and gives you plenty of targets on the ground to stop into the dirt! Also satisfying!
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #22
CEO
Pope & Young

Same thing happened to me the day before school started one year. I'll assure you no one gave me any grief in Junior High over that.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #23
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Anybody know what those tiny little wasps are called? I have a bunch of them around the house this year. They are colored similar to a yellow jacket but they are smaller than a honey bee and have a surprisingly painful sting for being so small. I've been popped by them several times recently while working on gutters
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #24
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I'm going on 30 years of not being stung.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
DRettele
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Anybody know what those tiny little wasps are called? I have a bunch of them around the house this year. They are colored similar to a yellow jacket but they are smaller than a honey bee and have a surprisingly painful sting for being so small. I've been popped by them several times recently while working on gutters
yeah - they are called @#%(^#&@#(@#&% ***** Heads!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

The red ones hurt! I was talking with my aunt Saturday evening. She was standing in the doorway and one dropped from the sky and stung here on her lip for no stinkin' reason! We got even and killed several after that.
Outback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #27
Bullfrog90
Eight Point

I had gone for at least twenty five years without being stung. Them good for nothing suckers have gotten me six times in the last couple of weeks.
Bullfrog90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #28
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Sorry Brian!
I felt your pain when I got stung inside my nose. I hunt those buggers every day! Hate red wasps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
hunt247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Saint Jo

Dawn soap and water
hunt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #30
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Got to see them before they see you!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #31
Wits_End
Ten Point

You guys are missing the most fun you can have outside dove season. Wing shooting mud daubers and wasp is incredible fun and addicting. Get you a super soaker and fill with water, add a tablespoon or two of dawn soap, start nailing those suckers mid air. Take out an entire nest at once or if you are more sporty, pick them off one by one as they come and go. Nothing better than hanging out in the pool with a cold beer and blasting these things.

Helpful hints:
Get a super soaker that doesnt hold pressure in a tank, it leaks over time and you have to repump up, get the one that sprays with every pump of the handle
I found a water gun that has a good 1ft pattern at about 15ft, good soap soaking at that distance, any closer and it basically knocks them out cold
Create a little muddy area nearby, it's like baiting them in, works great
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #32
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Ive always taken the dont bother me and I wont bother you stance
That's a family joke with us. My dad used to always tell my brother and me that. We'd be doing the whole flailing arms, jumping, and dancing around when they'd fly around us and Dad would always say, "Don't bother them and they won't bother you."
Then one day we were all standing out in the middle of the yard talking about something and one of those huge, fuzzy bees flew down out of nowhere and stung my dad right on his ear.
He hasn't lived down that saying yet.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #33
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
John, I think you are talking about Guinea wasps. Mean little devils and were what we called yellow jackets before I became edumacated. Yellow Jackets are ground dwelling while Guineas are just like Reds, making a paper nest errrywhere!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #34
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
John, I think you are talking about Guinea wasps. Mean little devils and were what we called yellow jackets before I became edumacated. Yellow Jackets are ground dwelling while Guineas are just like Reds, making a paper nest errrywhere!
I Googled pics of Guinea Wasps and I think you are right. They are only about 1/2" long but very aggressive - you don't even have to disturb their nest - just get anywhere close and here they come!
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #35
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
Been calling these suckers out here in West Texas yellow jackets for years but I think they are actually Guineas. Thanks for the tid bit.
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #36
DRettele
Ten Point

A few years ago I was on the very top of a 6 ft ladder (super safe I know) and I was topping my wife's Will Fleming trees with an set of hedge trimmers held above my head (again super safe) and I all of a sudden started getting lit up hard! Basically I tossed the hedge trimmers one way I jumped off the ladder the other way, shed my shirt while running to the other side of the house. Found something like 14 stings I received in a matter of seconds.
Yellow Jackets or Guinea Wasps - As far as I am concerned they are called @#%(^#&@#(@#&% ***** Heads!

I did get payback by mixing up a bucket of dish soap and water and took out the whole nest later that evening when they all returned close to dark.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
C-dubyah
Four Point

Last fall I opened up a pasture gate and the suckers came after me and stung my coat but couldn't get me. I got lucky. I killed them all with vengeance!
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #38
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

I feel your pain. Was mowing on a zeroturn 2 weeks ago and hit ground hornets. Got me on the right temple, right ear, left eyelid, above left ear, and on the arm. I felt sick for 2 full days.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #39
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Was mowing in my backyard and came to the corner where my pool equipment is sitting. I turned the mower and brushed my rear end against the filter and ZAP! I didnt know what happened, thought I got an electric shock till I saw them swarming. They had a hive behind the metal fence post in the corner. Right on my arse cheek it got me.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #40
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

This is the best wasp killer made and its cheap.. And it has a decent range..

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../4600011?pos=0
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #41
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Had a red one hit my bottom lip. Full on Bubba Gump swelling.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #42
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I got nailed right below the eye. That SUCKED! Worst one Ive ever had. Raised up a big old welp and hurt big time
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #43
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Remember those Brush Popper shirts Wrangler made? Those work great at stopping stings. I still have a couple of those shirts.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #44
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Remember those Brush Popper shirts Wrangler made? Those work great at stopping stings. I still have a couple of those shirts.
Wish my head had been wrapped in one.

Face is not as sore as yesterday but eye still has swelling

Should start itching today, that will be fun I am sure

Curious what wasp Jerp mentioned. What I know as guinea wasp is smaller than red wasp but not 1/2" long. They have yellow and brown bands on them and about as ill tempered as a red wasp
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #45
Czechfish
Six Point

Dawn dish soap and water. Thrown from a cup or sprayed from a pump sprayer ends them instantly.
Czechfish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #46
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I keep a can of spectracide pro in the truck. 47,000 dielectric volts kills them dead with extreme prejudice.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #47
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Back when I was a kid in the 80's. We were stripping cotton and I was riding the trailer, my Uncle was driving. We hit a nest of bumble bee's in the cotton field and they went thru the cotton stripper. Needless to say they were ****** after going thru a cotton stripper at about 100 mph and they shot out into the trailer with me about three of them hit me in the upper leg near the crotch. I dropped my pants because a couple of them stuck to my blue jeans and I could not get them off. I got my Uncles attention to stop by using the pitch fork to bang on the stripper. He gave me his Beechnut chew to put on it. The stings never swelled up all the did was itch a few days, but let me tell you the initial sting hurt like hell.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #48
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: My backyard!

I'll offer this to those that want it. Early each Spring, I mix up a solution of Permethrin SFR in a pump sprayer and go around the house, garage, and shed spraying this in all the normal nesting places. I also spray inside the garage and a tractor shed as they love these too. I don't have any nests being built, other than mud daubers, and even those are greatly reduced.

Living in the woods and with neighbors, I still get a few red scouts flying in every now and then, but I go after those with a spray bottle of lemon flavored dish soap in water mix (heavy with the soap). Love seeing those sumbucks die. It gives an old man some fun things to do too!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #49
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

Try one on at 75 mph and it goes under your sunglasses. This was in 75 in the desert on a motorcycle. Never did find the glasses.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #50
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
I keep a can of spectracide pro in the truck. 47,000 dielectric volts kills them dead with extreme prejudice.
You serious?
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top