Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #52
Rcole1310
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
They donít respond anymore. ďGo to the ERĒ is a bit extreme. Donít get me wrong. Itís not fun. But not something Iíd say is worthy of an ER trip. They literally gave zero info on how to help any symptoms.

Not much can be done unless you are bad enough to be hospitalized. I keep hearing the tonic water with as much quinine as you can get and the zinc. Also, donít take ibuprofen, so on the thread where some guy said he took it and was fine. Donít. Oh, ask your doc if taking steroids would be an option. Heíll probably say no unless you start going down hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rcole1310 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #53
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory.Shumate View Post

You are correct. Maybe 12.7???

Jtrage is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #54
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Prayers up for you bud. Lots of people at my work getting It
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #55
Johnny44
Ten Point

A 3 liter of the tonic supposedly has a day’s equivalent of the quinine and take massive amounts of zicam with it. Use the sugarfree version.

Also, buy some Tagamet and double the daily dosage for a few days
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #56
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Ya know, I'm trying to remember as I take melatonin regularly, but think I quit back when I think I had covid because I was in a constant state of exhaustion. I never caught a fever like the girls did, but mine lasted longer with the body aches, dry cough & labored breathing. Worst was waking up days on end feeling like it was time to hit the sack.

Good ole hindsight...hope the zinc & tonic help matt. I've seen other reports to take D-3 as well.

I'm taking el guapu tonic on occasion...the stuff isn't bad in certain toddies.

Last edited by Artos; 06-21-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #57
Goodfellah
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co, Newton Co, Crystal City

Quote:

Am I misunderstanding these ph values? When I was in school the ph scale only went up to 14.
Yeah that chart is off, lol
Goodfellah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #58
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
If the docs don’t give us some answers pretty dang quick I’m gonna get real unfriendly. The place I took my test at gave me a Z pack. My wife went to Baylor Scott and white and had a ton of calls about them wanting to track stuff and all that. She wanted everything private and they ignored her ever since. Makes my blood boil.

They want us to stay home. But we can’t get help or info. Info on the internet is pretty contradicting. Most is about how to not get it. Not how to help with symptoms once you do get it.
Sir, if you tell them you plan to spread it everywhere and kill the doctors responsible unless they give your wife the meds, they’ll write the prescription.

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Take massive d3 for a few days too to get your levels up
Old 06-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #59
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Ya know, I'm trying to remember as I take melatonin regularly, but think I quit back when I think I had covid because I was in a constant state of exhaustion. I never caught a fever like the girls did, but mine lasted longer with the body aches, dry cough & labored breathing. Worst was waking up days on end feeling like it was time to hit the sack.

Good ole hindsight...hope the zinc & tonic help matt. I've seen other reports to take D-3 as well.

I'm taking el guapu tonic on occasion...the stuff isn't bad in certain toddies.

How much of that el guapo should we take day if we do come down with it..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #60
Johnny44
Ten Point

I have bottles of that too. Picked it up in Gretna, its a family friend. Folk down yonder are mixing a tablespoon in a glass of water and sipping on it and sucking on a zicam seems like all day to some degree. They have El Guapo British tonic, and zicam and it has helped many of them. Had one family member refuse all that stuff and she was on oxygen for five weeks.

Oh yeah, if you want to go the alkaline route, baking soda in water is the fastest

Last edited by Johnny44; 06-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #61
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
lmao
Dude, get the heck out of here! Why don't you go suck an egg. No one wants to hear you crap.
Rakkasan2187 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #62
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
Take massive d3 for a few days too to get your levels up

That's gonna be bad for me if I have to do this. D3 supplements were the cause of my year long bout with kidney stones.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #63
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

I used zinc scheweeps tonic water and vitamin d. I also bought this drink called hydrant that really helped me stay hydrated. I never went and got tested I work from home so no need for all that for me.
Rakkasan2187 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #64
Johnny44
Ten Point

SMART, I get it and there is a reason why if you are a white guy of irish decent.They get much of this d3 from nightshade vegetables which for some of us metabolize into soft tissue calcium deposits.

You really only need to blow up the d3 and A at the onset.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #65
trophy8
Pope & Young

Zinc and tonic is RANK! Lol. But I hammered it down
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #66
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
SMART, I get it and there is a reason why if you are a white guy of irish decent.They get much of this d3 from nightshade vegetables which for some of us metabolize into soft tissue calcium deposits.

You really only need to blow up the d3 and A at the onset.

Scott-Irish... Thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #67
Rcole1310
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellah View Post
Yeah that chart is off, lol

That chart is bogus, ignore all of that stuff about pH.

Rcole1310 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #68
ktex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Cty, North TX

Trophy8 I wish you and your wife the best of luck in finding a solution to get you through this and will add you guys to my prayers tonight.

I know I'm going to get crap for this ( I was stubborn initially about some of these things) but I think us Texans need to step up our game on this: wear more masks in public places (its weird at first), up your sanitizer usage, if you are at risk stay at home....."big isn't beautiful" and is part of this problem along with many more issues in our healthcare system - start eating healthier, salads etc and exercising. This s/b a wake up call for a lot of over weight folks.
ktex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #69
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
How much of that el guapo should we take day if we do come down with it..

https://www.elguapobitters.com

The recipes I saw all called for mixing adult beverages so I've just been pouring like a 1/2oz into unsweet tea & such just to keep some in the system & taking 1 50mg zinc as a preventive / precaution.

Me J?? I would 2x-3x both the zinc & guapo intake if I was ill w/ known covid but that's just my comfort level wag to sleep better. It's not like you are going to OD on the stuff doubling up normal recommended doses.

I got ostracized weeks ago for even mentioning / linking the 411 but has since shown to help those w/ the minor cases & reducing the symptoms & timeline.

Hope it works for T8...I'd be chugging the tonic water as my go to fluid till guapo came if that means anything.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #70
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

4 of my 30 employees have tested positive, the worst symptoms of the bunch was tight chest and
fever for a week, all others were over symptoms before test results came back.

Pretty sure wife had it, she had bad fever for a few hours, body aches etc for 2 days and lost sense of smell foe weeks but has not been tested. While she had all that I felt like a cold or allergy attack but we were staying in the camper at the time so itís hard to imagine one had it and the other didnít.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #71
NYBowman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buda

Just found out that a good friend, hunting buddy and coworker and he's a TBHer as well, just tested positive today. Prayers for all impacted by this.
NYBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #72
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
https://www.elguapobitters.com

The recipes I saw all called for mixing adult beverages so I've just been pouring like a 1/2oz into unsweet tea & such just to keep some in the system & taking 1 50mg zinc as a preventive / precaution.

Me J?? I would 2x-3x both the zinc & guapo intake if I was ill w/ known covid but that's just my comfort level wag to sleep better. It's not like you are going to OD on the stuff doubling up normal recommended doses.

I got ostracized weeks ago for even mentioning / linking the 411 but has since shown to help those w/ the minor cases & reducing the symptoms & timeline.

Hope it works for T8...I'd be chugging the tonic water as my go to fluid till guapo came if that means anything.

Thanks Artos! I like tonic water as a mixer but haven't had any in a couple of years. Looks like I might need to order some supplies to start back..
Old 06-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #73
Artos
Pope & Young

I think schweps (spelling) has quinine, but be sure to look on the label to confirm what brands indeed have it...guapo is really sweet so if you want to add it to anything take that into account. 1/2 - 1oz will turn a glass of unsweet tea to sweet.

Their website is totally different when a saw it about 6 weeks ago I guess...there was no mention of covid but guess the word is out.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #74
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Zinc and tonic is RANK! Lol. But I hammered it down
I would really try to cut my sugar intake though.

My Prayers for y’all

Take the melatonin. this started from a retired Air Force flight surgeon with special experience with this kinda thing.

Take the Tagamet too

Last edited by Johnny44; 06-21-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #75
Slaunch
Four Point

Prayers for you and your wife!
Slaunch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #76
3ChordTruth
Six Point

I am so sorry to read this about you trophy8, and for your wife and your 4 year old. You are all in my prayers. It is a bummer to read how many of the TBH family have been or are now suffering from covid. I wish I had better treatment info for you and family, but as others have posted, it sounds like unless you need hospitalization you just got to let your immune system fight the dang covid virus itself. I went to the CDC website, and this is all the treatment I could find, sorry: Get rest and stay hydrated. Take over-the-counter medicines, such as acetaminophen, to help you feel better. Not a lot of help there, wish there was more but I couldn’t locate anything else on CDC website. Let us know how you are doing, rest easy now. Take care of that 4 year old, breaks my heart to hear a little one has it.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #77
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
I had it. Get tonic water and zinc. Take 50mg of zinc with tonic water morning and night. It helped me immensely.
I keep hearing this and passing it on. Hopefully it's just as effective for them too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #78
Johnny44
Ten Point

Its the only illness in the history of mankind where an early treatment is not the protocol.

From my understanding the quinine allows the zinc to do something with the cells and thats the ONLY reason the combo works.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #79
Wence
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co

Matt
Hate to here you and your family has covid. My wife tested positive early this week due to being exposed by a coworker that came to work with symptoms. I was tested Wednesday and have received results yet. We had or seven year old son tested Friday because he had a low grade fever.
It hasn’t been bad for any of us yet, just lack of energy and headache for me. Wife had similar symptoms. My son had the fever but hasn’t slowed down much.
God bless you and your family Matt and all affected by this virus. Seems like we will have to let it run it’s course.
Wence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #80
Trophy7
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over

I havenít had it thankfully, but I know a guy that had it and got through it. He took ibuprofen throughout the day and drank Theraflu in the morning and again at night. He said it took about 5 days for the fever to break and another 5 days afterwards to feel really better again.
Trophy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #81
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Man hope you get better soon.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #82
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wence View Post
Matt
Hate to here you and your family has covid. My wife tested positive early this week due to being exposed by a coworker that came to work with symptoms. I was tested Wednesday and have received results yet. We had or seven year old son tested Friday because he had a low grade fever.
It hasnít been bad for any of us yet, just lack of energy and headache for me. Wife had similar symptoms. My son had the fever but hasnít slowed down much.
God bless you and your family Matt and all affected by this virus. Seems like we will have to let it run itís course.
Thank you Mark!

FYI the place I got tested had a rapid test. Barely stuck the thing in my nose and results were there in 25 minutes.

My wife had a normal test. Said it hurt like heck. They went deep in her nose. Said 3-5 days for a result but had it back in 24 hours.

Do the rapid test if you can. Iíve got BCBS insurance. It cost me $50. Guy I work with on shift was free. Idk why. Same coverage of insurance. He tested positive as well. No symptoms at all. Heís 21-22 years old. Healthy. Iím fairly healthy. Just overweight and drink lots of beer LOL
Old 06-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #83
Johnny44
Ten Point

Sounds like everyone will get it and most will get past it by the elections, a liberal left nightmare.

My doctor on Lackland AFB said the more it spreads the weaker it seems to become based on things he has seen.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #84
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

A shot of whiskey and a tablespoon of H4350 usually does the trick for me... All BS aside amigo, glad youíre improving. I wouldnít discount the ER if itís hurting you or the Mrs. as much as you donít wanna go. However, the zinc, from what I gather, is a good route and I sounds like youíre on the way to it. Wife and I are gonna get the test as we were kinda flu-ish back in January with no flu when tested but who knows. La Grange ainít far if you need anything.
kck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #85
Austin62
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Hope you and family get better soon.
Austin62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #86
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Lots of great info shared. This is the first I've heard of Tonic water helping.hope you and the family get through it quickly. Sorry to hear.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #87
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Matt hope you and yours get well soon. Yíall have youth on your side. My wife works in the covid unit weekly and has been alarmed by the increase. Not sounding an alarm fellas. Never was my intent. Just be safe. I do not want this stuff at 64 with high blood pressure.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #88
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
A shot of whiskey and a tablespoon of H4350 usually does the trick for me... All BS aside amigo, glad youíre improving. I wouldnít discount the ER if itís hurting you or the Mrs. as much as you donít wanna go. However, the zinc, from what I gather, is a good route and I sounds like youíre on the way to it. Wife and I are gonna get the test as we were kinda flu-ish back in January with no flu when tested but who knows. La Grange ainít far if you need anything.
Thank you brother!
Old 06-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #89
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Whatever you do avoid a respirator unless itís a literal last resort!
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #90
slomo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor and Nolan county

Prayers for y’all
slomo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #91
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Whatever you do avoid a respirator unless itís a literal last resort!
Right there for sure but dexamethasone reports are supposedly showing good results in that respect. The Melatonin can help prevent the cytokines from getting out of control too.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #92
Johnny44
Ten Point

Things that cause me to do my own research and go my own way:

I spent 20 years in the military, anyone that has been warming a government seat for thirty plus years is not an expert on anything other than where to eat at lunch and how he/she is going to maximize their vacation times by taking it in conjunction with federal holidays. This goes for the WHO, CDC, and Fauci & Co...Period !

Hypocrisy

Playing politics

Only illness where no early treatment recommend and treatment politicized

Last edited by Johnny44; 06-21-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #93
Riceguy
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Best of luck, hope you guys feel better soon. Alot of good advice, would recommend looking at types of cough syrup you take - remember reading something about a certain one making people respond worse to COVID-19.
Riceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #94
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

My son has it. Dr pretty much told him to go home, self medicate, and tough it out. No prescriptions. Not even a Z Pak. Basically hydrate, take zinc, and fever reducers. If things worsen he was told to call the Dr. If not.... retest in 10-12 days to make sure he is Covid free. That seems to be pretty standard now.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #95
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Huntsville

I got it and I canít smell or taste anything
LMiz is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #96
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
My son has it. Dr pretty much told him to go home, self medicate, and tough it out. No prescriptions. Not even a Z Pak. Basically hydrate, take zinc, and fever reducers. If things worsen he was told to call the Dr. If not.... retest in 10-12 days to make sure he is Covid free. That seems to be pretty standard now.
My biggest frustration is just no info. No expectations. No ďdonít take this but you should try thisĒ. Literally nothing. I get it. ER if it gets bad. But what do we expect?

Iím extremely thankful HEB delivers and has stuff in stock.

Iím fairly tough and usually donít go to the doc when sick. This stuff is no joke. Hope your boy heals up fast!
I seem to be feeling a bit better after taking that zinc and stuff. Body doesnít hurt. Idk if itís a coincidence or not. Still have a headache but the body ache has subsided.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #97
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

Quote:

Am I misunderstanding these ph values? When I was in school the ph scale only went up to 14.
Itís false. Type ďavocado phĒ into google and youíll get tons of links on how the whole coronavirus pH treatment is malarkey
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #98
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

One of my kiddos had it. Wiped out all three of his roomates and a GF there second week back to summer school. His complaint with lack of taste and smell and being tired. Back well now as it lasted about 4-5 days for him in not feeling well

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #99
Johnny44
Ten Point

Trophy8, don’t get discouraged by that guy man.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #100
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Sorry to hear this Matt, hope you and your family start feeling better.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top