Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
docmay
Pope & Young

Default New kayak purchaseóneed help!

I have the fishing bug in a bad way. I am wanting to buy a kayak but live in Amarillo. Will have to travel to get one so demo opportunities will be limited. I have some money to spend so budget isnít an issue. Will mainly fish lakes in north Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. I know wind will be an issue and I really want a pedal drive. I am a plus sized guy at 6í2Ē and about 275lbs. I do think I might get a wild hair and drag it to the coast once in a while. I donít mind if it gets super shallow. If that shallow Iíll get out and wade. I have limited experience on a kayak and have fished around port Mansfield in one. I am currently torn between a Hobie pro angler 14 and a Jackson big rig. Welcome to other ideas. Years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a Jackson Cuda but didnít do it. Looking forward to some guidance!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Research and then buy from austin canoe & kayak (www.ack.com). They deliver. Lots of top brands and accessories.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I have bought a couple from ACK, and they shipped them to me (freight, not UPS). I didn't get to demo before I bought either. I just researched and watched YouTube videos. I was not at all disappointed in my choice after that, in spite of not being able to demo.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

We’ve had a couple shipped to us from ACK here in Lubbock. No issues.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Just a suggestion, but road trip to Austin.

Call ACK and let them know the two you're looking at and you're serious about making the purchase.

They will set you up to demo both. I think they have a deal worked out with the Hyde Park Quarry.

Both yaks are top notch. For me, I'd look into the Jackson
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
Solocam84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever i can

Since your budget isnt an issue go with the hobie pro angler.
Solocam84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solocam84 View Post
Since your budget isnt an issue go with the hobie pro angler.
I've got an older one and it is a fishing machine! Used it in lakes, rivers, the bay, and even 5 miles offshore and no complaints!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath & Tom Green Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post

Call ACK and let them know the two you're looking at and you're serious about making the purchase.

They will set you up to demo both. I think they have a deal worked out with the Hyde Park Quarry.

Do ^^^^ this. We went several times for fun. They do it once in fall and once in spring. Also ack has one in Wilber.ey, Conroe and woodlands.

If you want lakes not rivers with pedal. Look at Hobie pro angler. It's a single man boat. And a native Titan peddle. Those are the two top of the line imo. I'd be torn but the drive system is different between the two. I have a Diablo adios. Not a peddle but flat and wide offereing stability to stand and floats in skinny water.
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post

Thanks! For some reason I really like the Jackson but the more reviews and videos I watch the more I get confused. Iím taking the stepson to lake Travis in July. May go see AKC but they donít sell Jackson. Seems like Hobie is the Cadillac but Iím new to the game.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
buxNdux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lubbock, Mason, Goldthwaite

I have a 17 hobie pa 14 if you are passing through and want to give her a try, I’d gladly meet you and let you take it for a little stroll
buxNdux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxNdux View Post
I have a 17 hobie pa 14 if you are passing through and want to give her a try, Iíd gladly meet you and let you take it for a little stroll
Thank you! I feel like I need to decide and jump in. I always thought the jacksons looked cool but sounds like Hobie is the best of the best!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #12
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

If you are set on Jackson, go for the Coosa FD. It should work for you just fine. Old Town top water PDL is another non hobie offering that is high quality. And the best of the best is Blue Sky Boatworks angler model. The seat alone on that rig is nicer than the seats in my truck!
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
Mary
Administrator

Definitely recommend AKC. VERY knowledgeable and will point you in the direction you are looking to go after talking to you.

Take a look at the Wilderness Radar 115 as well. The guys at AKC helped us choose this one. It has the option for pedals and rudder. We're pleased with ours.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
If you are set on Jackson, go for the Coosa FD. It should work for you just fine. Old Town top water PDL is another non hobie offering that is high quality. And the best of the best is Blue Sky Boatworks angler model. The seat alone on that rig is nicer than the seats in my truck!
I have watched videos and read reviews until my head spins. I have looked at **** near all of the big kayaks. Need to make a decision and go fish!!!!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #15
DedDucks
Six Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney_ag View Post
Do ^^^^ this. We went several times for fun. They do it once in fall and once in spring. Also ack has one in Wilber.ey, Conroe and woodlands.

If you want lakes not rivers with pedal. Look at Hobie pro angler. It's a single man boat. And a native Titan peddle. Those are the two top of the line imo. I'd be torn but the drive system is different between the two. I have a Diablo adios. Not a peddle but flat and wide offereing stability to stand and floats in skinny water.

Have you had any issues with your Adios? I am really leaning towards one as my next kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DedDucks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #16
thebowhunters
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho Co.

Hey Doc all I know is when you get your kayak of choice you will fall in love with fly fishing out of it. I fly fish out of mind daily and love it. Enjoy
thebowhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #17
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

I was wanting the Wilderness Radar
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #18
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Just my opinion, but depends on what you want to get out of it. From a pure kayak POV I love the paddling aspect. I just enjoy it, a lot of times more than the fishing. From a pure fishing POV the pedal drive wins hands down for several reasons, especially on open water. Having fished side by side in my Jackson Cuda 14 next to a Hobie pedal drive on a small (125 acre) lake and seeing how much more time I spend picking up a paddle to make even small adjustments VS what he did with a peddle here or there was crazy.
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #19
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Doc, you are eight about Hobie being the best. Hands down best for stability and maneuvering with the new 360 fins. Can fish and paddle in all directions now. I want one of those for myself but I won’t drop the money bc I have a kayak just sitting. Old town Predator 13. It’s a great kayak for stability and tracking. I had a Jackson Coosa HD before it and didn’t like it bc it tracked horribly. Was very stable but slow. Like all have said, ACK is the place to go. There is a location here in San Antonio too off DeZavala.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #20
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Can't speak for pedal drive yaks but Wilderness System makes a great product. I had a Tarpon 140 and fished all over the Lower Laguna Madre area and never had any issues. I even fished windy days and the 140 cut through the wind fairly well. Whatever you do get a rudder.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #21
BigValley
Four Point

Hunt In: Freestone County, Kimble County

[mention]ultralite09 [/mention]any ideas?

BigValley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 11:35 PM   #22
brandonsbird02
Six Point

Hunt In: Henderson county

Hobie. You will love them. I can't wait to get one of the new ones! They are fast, stable and you don't ever have to sit the rod down. On the coast, I could point it into the wind and with small flutter kicks of the pedals hold in place while i kept fishing. I loved mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by brandonsbird02; 06-10-2020 at 11:39 PM.
brandonsbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #23
Draco
Pope & Young

I have two Native pedal drives if you want to borrow them to try out on lake Travis. Their main advantage is they are much lighter than the Hobies and you have instant reverse when you need it.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 12:18 AM   #24
docmay
Pope & Young

So, I have always been a Jackson fan based on research. The biggest thing for me with their pedal drive was reverse. Seems like you could instantly reverse and hold position to fish. The original Hobie seemed to struggle with this, the new Hobie 360 seems to have all the bases covered. The only issue is the $2000 upgrade in price. I do like the idea of the Jackson or other prop drives with instant reverse. However, the new Hobie 360 seems to do it all. I can afford that if it is truly the best.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #25
killerbee
Pope & Young

Hobie has My vote.
killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #26
gander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Beaumont

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
So, I have always been a Jackson fan based on research. The biggest thing for me with their pedal drive was reverse. Seems like you could instantly reverse and hold position to fish. The original Hobie seemed to struggle with this, the new Hobie 360 seems to have all the bases covered. The only issue is the $2000 upgrade in price. I do like the idea of the Jackson or other prop drives with instant reverse. However, the new Hobie 360 seems to do it all. I can afford that if it is truly the best.
I have a buddy who write's for Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine in their kayak portion. He is on Jackson's Pro staff. I could give you his contact info if you'd like to pick his brain. I know that he absolutely loves the Jackson's.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #27
Big Ace
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

The reason that the Hobies are heavier is that they have a much thicker Hull. I’ve compared them all side by side. I’ve fished most of the competitors. I am a big Hobie fan. The Hobie accessories are expensive but make your rigging much easier. I currently run a PA14. If you really want the best get a Hobie and put a Bixpy on it.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I would buy the kayak that has the ipilot trolling motor in it.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #29
docmay
Pope & Young

Sounding more like Hobie will be the answer. I wasn’t in love with the mirage 180 drive with pulling levers for reverse. I guess if I go all in with Hobie and a 360 it will do it all.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #30
guru27
Four Point

ACK just opened a new store in new braunfels at Tx ski ranch, I think they are doing demos on their lake. Might want to check that out if your looking for a demo. I just Upgraded from a paddle (vibe sea ghost) to a peddle drive(hobie outback), and I wouldn't want to go back. one thing about the PA is it is a big boat, not something that I would want to paddle and real distance. I haven’t had my outback long, but i think it is small enough that I could paddle it if I wanted to take it down a river or into shallow water for a day.
guru27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
Roy
Ten Point

I had both of those kayaks and have to say you can't go wrong with either of them! I have not tried the peddle version of the Big Rig (the FD model), but it has some good reviews. And being almost $1300 cheaper than a new PA14, that can fund some serious upgrades! Even better, get the Big Rig HD and throw on a trolling motor on the back. As for the Hobie, the new PA 360 Mirage drive is unprecedented, the Vantage seat is probably the best in the market, and the cockpit layout of the PA 14 is phenomenal for fishing and tweaking for your needs.

Both are HEAVY, so you might add the cost of a trailer in your budget, especially if you are planning on buying another kayak or two for the family.

And I would suggest also throwing the Native Titan Propel 13.5 into your hat for consideration. That thing is a BEAST!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #32
recar
Ten Point

I am a big guy.. 6'2 305. I have a Native Titan 12 with the pedal drive. I got it a month ago. This thing is a beast. super stable and glides through the water. The pedal drive is smooth and can go forward and backwards.
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Just bought my wife a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 105 and she really likes it so far. I think it will be a great kayak for her and what she likes to do.

I am looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar 115 for me as a fishing kayak but also one I can recreational paddle when I want to as well with her.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #34
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Doc, glad to See you on the GS again.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #35
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Doc, glad to See you on the GS again.
Oh, I have been lurking just not posting as much. Hell, I havenít been able to do anything! I have been posting lots of food pics on Instagram. I had to cancel my archery desert bighorn sheep hunt in March which really sucked!!!!!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #36
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Oh, I have been lurking just not posting as much. Hell, I havenít been able to do anything! I have been posting lots of food pics on Instagram. I had to cancel my archery desert bighorn sheep hunt in March which really sucked!!!!!
I bet that did suck! Hopeful will see you in some fishing or hunting stories soon.. Hope all is well with you, Little Doc May and the youngster!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #37
Tall Tex
Six Point

Hunt In: Weimar,TX

Get you a peddle kayak so you can be hands free when casting or can stay in one spot. I have a pro angler 12 and love it over bass fishing in my tarpon 120. Paddling is not so bad but you can cove more ground with a peddle drive and fish when itís still windy
Attached Images

Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #38
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

Look at the Native Titan 12 Propel. I have the 10.5 and love it. Great pedal drive
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #39
docmay
Pope & Young

I’m really thinking about driving to the kayak shop in okc tomorrow. Knowing me I’ll buy one then won’t be able to use it for a month or more.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #40
PlanoDano
Six Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

I came out of a Hobie last year because I wanted something lighter to carry on racks above the truck since I now tow an RV. I liked the Hobie drive a lot. I fished with folks with Jacksons and was impress how easy they were able to clear prop of grass. I think if I was in the market for a peddle yak and cost was not object I would take a serious look at the Blue Sky Boatworks rigs. I would at least talk to someone who owns or has owned one.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #41
Big H
Six Point

I have a 19 Hobie PA 14 and love it. But it would be terrible if I had to paddle it very much. The 360 looks like a game changer but I haven't been in one. I am full grown at 6'4" 340#. The Hobie seat and stability are still awesome. I also researched Jackson but found a deal on the Hobie first.

I think either is great but both are heavy. I highly recommend getting boondox landing gear for either. I have it on mine and it is a game changer.
Big H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #42
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Have you looked at native watercraft titans, pedal drive and very stable. They make them in three different sizes. I am torn between them and the Jackson. But I think titan is the way I may go. I tested a Hobie and did not care for the “ pedal” drive in them at all. And yea as said above, I have been researching the blue sky boat works now, but no where to see one, and not sure how it would do on very windy days.

Last edited by critter69; 06-13-2020 at 07:32 AM.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2020, 07:33 AM   #43
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Iím really thinking about driving to the kayak shop in okc tomorrow. Knowing me Iíll buy one then wonít be able to use it for a month or more.
Put it in the swimming pool and practice
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #44
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

well thought I'd check in and see what you're doing.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #45
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

If it were me, I'd call down to Mariner Sails in Dallas and setup a demo day with them. I also would look at the old town PDL models. They have a handful of different models with the PDL drive and it is the best prop style drive hands down. Hobie is great and if looking at those I would look at the pro angler 14 with the 360 drive.

I currently have the Old Town Predator PDL. I have added a micro power pole and a humminbird helix 7 G3N. It is a beast of a kayak and does everything I could ever imagine doing on big lakes.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #46
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

I would go Hobie and then you can add the trolling motor in the hole the pedal drive goes in.....it is the ticket!

I think you can even buy the motor now to fit or it is an easy DIY project to make.

My Outback is super stable and does well in Fresh and Saltwater.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #47
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Did y'all skip the kayaks?

Pic floating around FB of a woman that resembles your wife holding a red.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #48
Loftin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your backyard

Mariner sales in Dallas is amazing, I am working with them now to pick up a old town 106 minn Kota. Great people over there
Loftin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #49
jck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

My buddy and I bought some kayaks about 2 months ago. He boughts the Pro Angler 14, and I bought the Native Titan 13.5. I'm a big guy, so I liked the extra width on the titan 13.5, but **** is it heavy.

In retrospect, I wish I would have bought the Hobie PA14. It's much more crisp, engineered better, and just a great fishing platform. thought I was going to save $800 and be better off, but I regret not getting the Hobie.
jck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #50
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land

I got a lightning strike hd on order. Gonna swap out regular fins with st or st turbo. Half the price as Hobie Outbacks.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top