Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #201
RTM
Four Point

Hunt In: Colmesneil Tx.

Tomatoes are already starting to bloom.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
RTM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #202
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I understand row planting in typical farming when you irrigate in-between the rows to get water to the roots, but in a veggie garden are rows necessary when you are watering in a different fashion (or maybe you are irrigating in the valleys)?
I like the rows because i have a bedder and sweeps on tractor. I can do most of hard work including weeding just driving down the row.

I also use the hill to put my drip tape in. Water only the plants i want not the weeds.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #203
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

My grandparents were staunch row gardeners and tillers. I did not have the same success that they did when I spent several years doing it. Then I remembered my grandpa out there with his ghostbuster backpack on nuking the gardens with all kinds of supplements and chemicals or using his tractor sprayer. .....then it clicked the difference. They both suffered from many health issues before passing. I will stick to the no till organic methods.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #204
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

A couple questions for the pros here. First, is there a halfway decent drip system that Amazon or anyone else offers that is good for a small garden on 15-20 plants? Second, what are y'alls favorite plants for spring/summer that produce good yield and is something that people actually eat for sustenance (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, greens, squash, etc.)
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #205
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
A couple questions for the pros here. First, is there a halfway decent drip system that Amazon or anyone else offers that is good for a small garden on 15-20 plants? Second, what are y'alls favorite plants for spring/summer that produce good yield and is something that people actually eat for sustenance (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, greens, squash, etc.)
Hoss Tools has a kit. It will last you many many years with the amount of drip tape you will use. Maybe over kill but proven.

Check out their youtube channel. Lots of good info especially wanting to learn specific plants
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #206
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
My grandparents were staunch row gardeners and tillers. I did not have the same success that they did when I spent several years doing it. Then I remembered my grandpa out there with his ghostbuster backpack on nuking the gardens with all kinds of supplements and chemicals or using his tractor sprayer. .....then it clicked the difference. They both suffered from many health issues before passing. I will stick to the no till organic methods.
Yes sir. Agree. I might choose to add a bit of miracle grow to re boost later in season for a second round. I build my soils, use compost and fish guts, organic manure every other year, Epsom salt on tomatoes sometimes, Never any chemical insect killer. My soil smells good, worms love it. It does need rest on occasion. My beds are raised slightly with Red Cedar boundaries. Not 100% Organic as almost impossible but close. And 90% of years it produces healthy quantities. Non caged chicken poo is Very good but hot so be careful and hard to get enough. I no longer raise em so oh well. No poo
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #207
dpg481
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rains/Hunt county

Have any of you guys ever seen Leon Sloan on youtube? I met him last year at his huge greenhouse/gardening center in Kingston Ok. He got me into using syrup tubs for my plants. The tubs are made up so they hold a reservoir of water. He also got me into using 55 gallon food grade barrels to grow using the hydroponic method. This man is a wealth of gardening knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSD..._BlLuWSiEr7TJQ
dpg481 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #208
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg481 View Post
Have any of you guys ever seen Leon Sloan on youtube? I met him last year at his huge greenhouse/gardening center in Kingston Ok. He got me into using syrup tubs for my plants. The tubs are made up so they hold a reservoir of water. He also got me into using 55 gallon food grade barrels to grow using the hydroponic method. This man is a wealth of gardening knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSD..._BlLuWSiEr7TJQ
Watched several of his video's very interesting concept. I am going to try a couple of containers this year off to the side of the house. Honestly the only thing that has kept me from doing container gardening is the appearance. Not the most prettiest thing to have my beautiful backyard full of orange, white , blue five gallon buckets.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #209
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Watched several of his video's very interesting concept. I am going to try a couple of containers this year off to the side of the house. Honestly the only thing that has kept me from doing container gardening is the appearance. Not the most prettiest thing to have my beautiful backyard full of orange, white , blue five gallon buckets.
Yes I understand that they aren't very pretty. I need to get some paint on the drums before my cucumbers get planted in them. Hopefully that will help with the appearance, plus keep the wife happy.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #210
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

I compost hay along with my kitchen scraps. Add a few yards of turkey litter. You can get a lot of good material from looney litter outside of gonzales. Been using them for years. yes it is hot but that helps get the compost cooking. For the area i am gardening i need a lot of it so cant buy it by the bag or local landscape company.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #211
doublearrow
Ten Point

Got the garden planted and have a few things coming up, but now the temp is supposed to drop monday night. Ive watched the weather app today and its called anywhere from 36 to 45. Dad lives in Denver City, hes always gone by the Good Friday planting rule and this year hes already planted and at one point weather app called for snow in Denver City on Monday night lol. Iv got straw hay and plastic i guess if forecast holds true or gets worse.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #212
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

for the raised bed guys....how deep do they need to be? I have a lot of 2x6's...guess I could stack 2 together...thoughts?
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #213
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by chehunt View Post
for the raised bed guys....how deep do they need to be? I have a lot of 2x6's...guess I could stack 2 together...thoughts?
That would definitely work. I might do three 2x6's to give you some room to add mulch or compost yearly.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #214
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chehunt View Post
My raised beds are only one cinder block high....but I pulled out the 'ol shovel and dug out about 1'-1.5' down of clay before filling. So its a little deceiving.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #215
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Thanks
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #216
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

The wife’s herb bed.

Cherry tomatoes doing good

Hinged raised beds with bird netting.

Waiting on the rain to push the 13-13-13 down before bedding and planting the in ground stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #217
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

How do y’all keep the coons out of your compost when you add fish heads?
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #218
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Got the garden planted and have a few things coming up, but now the temp is supposed to drop monday night. Ive watched the weather app today and its called anywhere from 36 to 45. Dad lives in Denver City, hes always gone by the Good Friday planting rule and this year hes already planted and at one point weather app called for snow in Denver City on Monday night lol. Iv got straw hay and plastic i guess if forecast holds true or gets worse.
I'm in Odessa and planted everything but okra this week. I certainly hope it stays above freezing
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #219
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Most of my raised beds are 2 cinder blocks deep. I also cemented 1" pvc in the blocks every 6 ft so i can but up a hoop house over the beds if needed. my biggest delay in my direct sow plants is usually soil temp.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #220
dpg481
Ten Point

I started my hydroponic grow barrels today after work. I found a couple black barrels that have screw on tops that i cut a hole in. Its a one time fertilizer blend that will keep the cucumber and squash plants growing all season and no soil needed other than what little bit i used in the planter cup to start the seeds.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #221
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

What's everyone's plans for this Easter snap this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s Saturday night thru Tuesday.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #222
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
What's everyone's plans for this Easter snap this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s Saturday night thru Tuesday.
Been kinda dry down here in my neck o the woods so I'm hopin to get a little rain outta it. But sittin here @ work, watchin the radar and looks like most of it will will be on the north side of Houston and I'm to the south on the coast. Oh well, break out the sprinkler again!
locolobo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #223
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
As long as it's in the upper 30's I'm not too worried. I'll put out more hay around each plant to keep frost off is about it.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 01:17 AM   #224
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootLow View Post
How do y’all keep the coons out of your compost when you add fish heads?
You don't. I just chop and shove and spread and some remnants still feed the dirt. I covered with logs, bigger rocks etc . They moved em. A dog might work but my dog who passed recently was inside at night. I let her out some at night and had less trouble.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #225
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Yep. He's a master. Go to the Gardening playlist on my youtube channel and you will recognize some of his self-wicking totes and barrel cucumbers/watermelons:

https://www.youtube.com/KCARanch&Homestead
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #226
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Don't take much to grow 3 of the 4 only veggies you need in Texas, tomatoes, jalapenos and onions. Taters are cheaper to buy at the store but do well in 55 gal barrels with drain holes at bottom and manure on top.

Taters in a barrel are easy to harvest. Just turn the barrel upside down.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #227
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Yep. He's a master. Go to the Gardening playlist on my youtube channel and you will recognize some of his self-wicking totes and barrel cucumbers/watermelons:

https://www.youtube.com/KCARanch&Homestead
I just subed your channel. When i get time later today i will take a look at the videos. I really want to start a channel, alls i need is time.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #228
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Don't take much to grow 3 of the 4 only veggies you need in Texas, tomatoes, jalapenos and onions.
No Jalapenos for me this year. I grew enough last year to feed a Mexican army daily and my wife still just continued to buy them from Kroger's instead of walking 30 feet out of the back door and picking them.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #229
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

I wish i had a garden.

I live in Boerne and would be happy to come by and pick up your veggies that dont make it, or get sick, or bugs get em, etc. I love to add them to my compost pile. Thanks
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #230
No-Tox
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsills View Post
I wish i had a garden.

I live in Boerne and would be happy to come by and pick up your veggies that dont make it, or get sick, or bugs get em, etc. I love to add them to my compost pile. Thanks
Why don't you have a garden?
Old 04-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #231
Hooverfb
Ten Point

My grapes are doing amazing this year... if my son doesnt eat them all, I foresee jam n wine lol
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #232
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
My grapes are doing amazing this year... if my son doesnt eat them all, I foresee jam n wine lol
What kind of grapes do you grow? Also how are you doing it, fence or arbor? Growing grapes interests me.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #233
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
No Jalapenos for me this year. I grew enough last year to feed a Mexican army daily and my wife still just continued to buy them from Kroger's instead of walking 30 feet out of the back door and picking them.
Frustrating isn't it!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #234
BangBang
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co., Atascosa Co., Aransas Bay

Quote:
I started my hydroponic grow barrels today after work. I found a couple black barrels that have screw on tops that i cut a hole in. Its a one time fertilizer blend that will keep the cucumber and squash plants growing all season and no soil needed other than what little bit i used in the planter cup to start the seeds.

Can I get more info on this? Looks like something I need to do.
BangBang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #235
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Got a lot growing well in the backyard. Very happy with the 55 gallon cucumber barrel. It's taking off.

Lots of other stuff including bok choy, sugar cane, black berries, romaine, watermelons, corn, mint, carrots, kale, potatoes, onions
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #236
No-Tox
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
Check this guy out.
https://youtu.be/6xRjgGFUibY
Old 04-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #237
No-Tox
Eight Point

And here is the update on the 55 gallon barrels, then how to do the same for a 5 gallon bucket.
https://youtu.be/k62dWxAoCYE
Old 04-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #238
dpg481
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
check out gardening with leon on YouTube. basically fill the barrels with water and a fertilizer solution called master blend. the mix ratios are easily found with a internet search. You only need about an eigth inch of water to touch the bottom of the container the plant grows in. the roots will grow out of the bottom of the pot and get fed in the water. basically maintenance free.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #239
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

The tomatoes are doing good and the peppers are kind of struggling along but might have turned the corner and appear to be improving...
Attached Images

Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #240
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
The tomatoes are doing good and the peppers are kind of struggling along but might have turned the corner and appear to be improving...

How did you plant your plants? They appear to be in a container in the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #241
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Running behind....

Me & the kids just planted 5 rows black eye peas 75 yds long (1 single row, 4 rows broadcast width of tiller - 4'), 3 rows okra 25 yds long, 2 rows squash 25 yds long, and a 10 x10 yd patch of watermelon/cantaloupe.

Finished right as the rain started falling.

Seed rate varies. Ethan spaced a pk down entire row.
Bella ran out every five yds, lol.

Not a serious garden by any means. I'm just hoping to get a little okra and squash out of it.

The deer can have the rest.

Name:  20200411_141535.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  156.1 KB
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #242
No-Tox
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ring View Post
Me & the kids just planted 5 rows black eye peas 75 yds long (1 single row, 4 rows broadcast width of tiller - 4'), 3 rows okra 25 yds long, 2 rows squash 25 yds long, and a 10 x10 yd patch of watermelon/cantaloupe.

Finished right as the rain started falling.

Seed rate varies. Ethan spaced a pk down entire row.

Bella ran out every five yds, lol.

Not a serious garden by any means. I'm just hoping to get a little okra and squash out of it.

The deer can have the rest.

Attachment 999288
I would hate to see what you consider a serious garden.
Don't the deer mess with your veggies?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #243
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
I would hate to see what you consider a serious garden.
Don't the deer mess with your veggies?
That's the plan.
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #244
dpg481
Ten Point

What kind of fertilizer are you guys using. I just got this masterblend in this week. Its supposed to be great for the plants. Im also using Natures Source 10-4-3.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #245
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
How did you plant your plants? They appear to be in a container in the ground

Yes they are in the decomposable type containers... The ring you see is plastic that I will cut out once the planets are completely established... At least I assumed it was decomposable...
Old 04-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #246
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes they are in the decomposable type containers... The ring you see is plastic that I will cut out once the planets are completely established... At least I assumed it was decomposable...

Not sure I’ve heard of this?? Do you have pics of the plants before you planted them? Seems interesting......

Old 04-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #247
eradicator
Pope & Young

Peaches on the tree. Tomatoes on the vine. Mid 30's Monday night
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #248
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Not sure I’ve heard of this?? Do you have pics of the plants before you planted them? Seems interesting......

Here is the only pic I have...perhaps biodegradable is a better term for the pot... These are sold under Bonnie Plants brand... Some of the roots had already broken through the material. I pinched of bits of the bottom to help that along.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pedernal; 04-11-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #249
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here is the only pic I have...perhaps biodegradable is a better term for the pot... These are sold under Bonnie Plants brand... Some of the roots had already broken through the material. I pinched of bits of the bottom to help that along.

That looks pretty nifty!

Old 04-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #250
No-Tox
Eight Point

Those are biodegradable but they instruct to tear it off and put in into the hole with the plant. Then throw the plastic away.