Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #51
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

In
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #52
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

Is it too late to plant onions in the Houston area?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #53
Aggie Dad
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bee County

Following
Aggie Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #54
Joe H
Ten Point

Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joe H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #55
Aggie Dad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

I see youíre in Victoria, where did you get the mushroom compost?
Old 02-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #56
Joe H
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie Dad View Post
I see youíre in Victoria, where did you get the mushroom compost?
Gonzales mushrooms farm. Kitchen pride mushrooms is the name

Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #57
Aggie Dad
Eight Point

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #58
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Is it too late to plant onions in the Houston area?
No....if you have a couple that show signs of bolting later on just pickem. Good thing about onions is you can plant them on one day....and pick them the next.
(as in they are always edible)
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #59
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Plowed for the spring garden yesterday. Kids finished planting our oaks. So far 1300 oaks .

They were proud of their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #60
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Ya'll been workin hard...Got mine tilled up few days ago after a couple seasons nothing ..Due to both Knee replacements...and then tiller motor expired..on my Ancient Troy Horse..Few weeks ago Harbor freight had sale on 6.5 Predator motors..99bucks was easy swap and runs like a champ...

Oh Yea thx for WOW garden pic. Scotty
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #61
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Splendora, TX

Iíve got a big pile of hay and cow manure. I turned it over yesterday with the tractor and itís steaming/breaking down fairly good. Would yíall recommend using that to build some soil?
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #62
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth89 View Post
Iíve got a big pile of hay and cow manure. I turned it over yesterday with the tractor and itís steaming/breaking down fairly good. Would yíall recommend using that to build some soil?

Not this year, depending on how old it is... Also, hay is grass... how does grass propagate itself? SEEDS!! Be careful using hay as mulch, cover or anything else... I did that, and it took me 2 years to get the Bermuda grass and Johnson grass under control again... OBVIOUSLY, I didn't let my compost break down enough!! You can also burn the hay, then mix it with the barnyard stuff and it works pretty good... speeds up the process and kills those pesky seeds...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #63
Silvey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
Ya'll been workin hard...Got mine tilled up few days ago after a couple seasons nothing ..Due to both Knee replacements...and then tiller motor expired..on my Ancient Troy Horse..Few weeks ago Harbor freight had sale on 6.5 Predator motors..99bucks was easy swap and runs like a champ...

Oh Yea thx for WOW garden pic. Scotty
I had the same thing happen to my Craftsman tiller motor and got the same deal from hf. Just added the pully from the old one and bolt on. Good deal on a good engine.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #64
Man
Pope & Young

Well I got duped majorly. I have been busting my butt the past couple months with the carrots I had return from letting some go to seed last season. Got them all aligned in rows, watered and maintained etc .. only to find out Saterday when I went to harvest that I have been growing wild carrots aka Queen Anne's lace. That was a lot of garden space that could have gone to something beneficial. Little peice of crap democrat carrots.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #65
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Well I got duped majorly. I have been busting my butt the past couple months with the carrots I had return from letting some go to seed last season. Got them all aligned in rows, watered and maintained etc .. only to find out Saterday when I went to harvest that I have been growing wild carrots aka Queen Anne's lace. That was a lot of garden space that could have gone to something beneficial. Little peice of crap democrat carrots.
Dang, thats no bueno. I've been pulling carrots for a couple of weeks now. First time I've grown them in a long time. Forgot how dang good they were. A lot sweeter and more flavor than from the store. You can also use the tops to make vegetable stock, etc
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #66
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Not this year, depending on how old it is... Also, hay is grass... how does grass propagate itself? SEEDS!! Be careful using hay as mulch, cover or anything else... I did that, and it took me 2 years to get the Bermuda grass and Johnson grass under control again... OBVIOUSLY, I didn't let my compost break down enough!! You can also burn the hay, then mix it with the barnyard stuff and it works pretty good... speeds up the process and kills those pesky seeds...
You have to know where the hay is coming from and it's not fresh from a grass field. If so, let it sit and rot for a season.
I use hay for my mulch (Ruth Stout Garden style) with no problems once I understood this. First year I used hay, I too had grass growing amongst it once i put it on the garden.
I use a lot of hay that has been used for friend's goats (already fertilized) and let it sit for a bit. I've got a pile about 20 ft. long x 4 feet wide and 4 ft. high ready to go on the garden once I get the soil prepped.
I started a YouTube channel to keep up with my progress of my garden and deer food plots. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ2...zS6v1kvJwE180A
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #67
No-Tox
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post

That's some nice inground soil. Mine is all black clay so I have to use raised beds.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #68
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

Picked the last of the broccoli this morning, pulled them up, weeded, and added compost. Beds are ready for spring planting.
Tomato seedlings are growing like crazy. Iím surprised that all the reapers germinated.
Anyone close that wants to pick a couple up, Iíll share, because I sure donít need that many!

scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #69
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

weather. whether or not. Weather. Man tired of HEB who offers some good stuff. Tired of moving plants in and out. Anyone wants to contribute labor and material and property and everything involved, I'm in. Meanwhile carefully planning my next disaster. All Jokes. If near me in Georgetown once my expert idiotic ability kicks in, I will share what God gives as he would have it. All fun. Tips ?
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #70
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Need to get my tomato seeds out.
Last year I had no trouble with grape tomatoes, but my beef steaks would not fruit. Just flower. Partially from lack of pollinators that I've seen. Any varieties yall recommend for houston heat and black gumbo soil lol
Hooverfb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #71
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I just built my boxes today for asparagus. I bought some crowns that are 2 yrs old. and hope to have asparagus in a couple yrs. ready for spring.
bownut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #72
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Pulled the last of the Collard greens, Red Russian and Toscana Kale. Bagged it up and amended beds with compost in preparation for spring and summer garden. Dont want to plant anything quite yet in event of the last minute freeze.
Attached Images

LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #73
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Tomato and pepper seedlings are coming along

slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #74
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Planted potatoes, onions and leeks this weekend on some new ground in Burleson county. Weeds will be a problem but itís expected on new garden ground

Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 AM   #75
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Anyone grow cilantro?
Leemo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #76
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Reading through this thread everyone seems to be targeting mid-March to put the spring garden in the ground.

Wanting to put in some tomatoes and peppers this year. Would the 14th or 21st of March be better?
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #77
Joe H
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
Reading through this thread everyone seems to be targeting mid-March to put the spring garden in the ground.

Wanting to put in some tomatoes and peppers this year. Would the 14th or 21st of March be better?
Remember Texas is a big state. I am close to the coast and always shoot for March 1st depending on weather patterns.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #78
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post

Look up when the average low temps are above freezing, I think here in DFW area it is late March.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #79
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Looking at finishing up a garden this weekend. Getting the bed done at least. Curious if any of you add earth worms to your garden beds to help with the soil nutrition.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #80
Man
Pope & Young

Lost about 8 tomato plants and quite a few potato plants when it dipped into 32 degrees Tuesday night Always a gamble.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #81
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Anyone grow cilantro?
Yep. Bought one cilantro plant years ago. It's all over the garden now.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #82
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Testing this little guy out this year, mostly herbs with a few heirloom veggies on top.
Attached Images

Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #83
toomuchsun
Eight Point

I hope it warms early. My starter tomato plant is now a foot tall and wide in a small pot wanting to be let out of jail. I grow Only Early Girl. Tried em all. One plant goes for months and taste great. Wife can no longer eat tomatoes so me and my neighbors can not eat what the one plant gives. I also love Sun Gold, sweetest little guy I ever grew. Goes crazy in Williamson County area (east black clay's) and gets stupid big. But one ugly bug gets em later in the year. Got fish guts still decaying in soils so need a few more weeks to turn the dirt. Can hardly wait but no choice. and it will freeze at least once more so be patient folks. (and I always start squash too soon. Wisely Have not even started seedlings yet. I try to learn but too hard headed most the time)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #84
slabnabbin
Eight Point

I stepped up a bunch of seedlings into 4Ē pots this week. Tomatoes and peppers are doing good. I plan to put them in the ground at the end of March due to spring break and the farmers almanac.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #85
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Old 02-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #86
lnester
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Anyone grow cilantro?
Yes, it's great until it gets too hot then it shrivel and dies. Best to plant in a pot then move it inside during summer.

Tomato plants. Everyone give some recommendations, please. I can grow cherry tomatoes but I have zero luck with big tomatoes. I've tried a bunch and every year they flower but don't yield fruit. Beefsteak, zero luck. Heirloom, no luck.
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #87
scotty
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnester View Post
Yes, it's great until it gets too hot then it shrivel and dies. Best to plant in a pot then move it inside during summer.

Tomato plants. Everyone give some recommendations, please. I can grow cherry tomatoes but I have zero luck with big tomatoes. I've tried a bunch and every year they flower but don't yield fruit. Beefsteak, zero luck. Heirloom, no luck.

I spray my tomatoes with a solution of Epsom salts. Seems to help them put fruit on.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #88
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Quote:

Fertilize with calcium nitrate at the first bloom set the every 3 to 4 weeks after that.
Do you have plenty of pollinators?

Old 02-28-2020, 11:18 PM   #89
No-Tox
Eight Point

Starting the project of joining my two gardens into one. One has been established for years. It is a raised bed. The other one I got going 2 years ago as an in-ground bed. Unfortunately with the clay soil here, it puddles too much rain water and drowns or stunts the plants. So I started with a trailer load (1 1/2 yards because that's all it will hold) of garden soil to build up that second bed. Didn't out much of a dent in it. Going to get after it tomorrow morning to see how many loads I can do before the soil yard closes at noon.
I'm a month away from planting around here, but if I don't get on this project now I'll run put of time.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #90
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Quote:

I use Epsom as well with ok results. I tried many recommended variety of tomato and now will plant one and one only for a medium size delicious fruit. Early Girl by Bonnie. That is why I have one waiting inside for planting time. They are sold everywhere but sell out often so grabbed one early. Not sure if seeds can be obtained for those needing lots of plants. I am Georgetown, black clay, great home built soil slightly raised beds. Almost organic methods.
And I am typical Still loaded with maturing fruit in the fall so end up with plenty of fried green ones when that first freeze is on us.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #91
No-Tox
Eight Point

Quote:

If you are like me here in North Texas, we don't have a long enough growing season when planting a transplant from the store to the garden. It gets too hot for them to go to fruit. I think when temps overnight get to a certain temp (I forget what that exact temperature is), the plant won't produce as it is saving all its energy for the plant. I've tried for many years to get those palm full size tomatoes and get disappointed each year.
Now, having up a shade cloth can help as I did that one year with some success.
So if you can get one started indoors so it is pretty mature when you take it to the garden, that may help.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #92
toomuchsun
Eight Point

from memory which is a dangerous thing, the flowers are dudded unless the temps fall I think is roughly 72 degrees for just a little while to keep the process going which in Texas rules out several months. Heat impacts turning a flower to a fruit and we are Hot but variations exist. Heat of summer full sun it stops for lack of better word. But keep the plant healthy and a good variety will kick back in. I get tomatoes all summer but later July and all of August stinks. Tried moving container grown and little success so happy to get what I can out of the open garden. It never goes to zero with some quality watering etc.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #93
scotty
Pope & Young

Garden is in except for the peppers.
Iíll get those planted when the seedlings get a little bigger.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #94
slabnabbin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Garden is in except for the peppers.
Iíll get those planted when the seedlings get a little bigger.

Nice

Old 03-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #95
eradicator
Pope & Young

I'll be planting mine Spring Break(middle of march) as always. Usually have to cover a time or three but its when my free time is to get it done. Didn't do any seedlings this year so it will be all transplants for tomatoes and peppers. I would expect a late freeze this year for all you farmers out there.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #96
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I'll be planting mine Spring Break(middle of march) as always. Usually have to cover a time or three but its when my free time is to get it done. Didn't do any seedlings this year so it will be all transplants for tomatoes and peppers. I would expect a late freeze this year for all you farmers out there.
I feel like kapernick is trying to discuss and give gardening advise in this thread. You obviously lost a bet...how much longer do we have to stare at that crap?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #97
lnester
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
I use Epsom as well with ok results. I tried many recommended variety of tomato and now will plant one and one only for a medium size delicious fruit. Early Girl by Bonnie. That is why I have one waiting inside for planting time. They are sold everywhere but sell out often so grabbed one early. Not sure if seeds can be obtained for those needing lots of plants. I am Georgetown, black clay, great home built soil slightly raised beds. Almost organic methods.

And I am typical Still loaded with maturing fruit in the fall so end up with plenty of fried green ones when that first freeze is on us.
I loaded up with Early Girls this year, we will see how they do.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #98
lnester
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
from memory which is a dangerous thing, the flowers are dudded unless the temps fall I think is roughly 72 degrees for just a little while to keep the process going which in Texas rules out several months. Heat impacts turning a flower to a fruit and we are Hot but variations exist. Heat of summer full sun it stops for lack of better word. But keep the plant healthy and a good variety will kick back in. I get tomatoes all summer but later July and all of August stinks. Tried moving container grown and little success so happy to get what I can out of the open garden. It never goes to zero with some quality watering etc.
I've heard that too, but here's where the theory falls flat. Why do cherry tomatoes continue to produce in the heat?

Also, in East Texas where it's just as hot, people tend to get great results all summer. Is it the shade from the pine curtain?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #99
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I feel like kapernick is trying to discuss and give gardening advise in this thread. You obviously lost a bet...how much longer do we have to stare at that crap?
Beginning of May unfortunately

Pulling carrots daily. Lettuce, spinach, bunching onions all doing well. Strawberries starting to put on blooms. Cilantro and the rest of the herbs are going nuts. Some sort of fresh veggie with every meal right now!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #100
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well, had hopes of turning over the garden plot this weekend, but this morning it was RAINING AGAIN!!! ...and supposed to rain off and on all day. Ain't lookin' good again this year for much of a garden... Got some molasses tubs I may try to start some peppers n 'maters in... wife and I sure do enjoy the "therapy" of working in the garden, but it ain't lookin' good...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top