Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #2751
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
And that is total BS. If you are gonna keep em, keep em. If you are going to let em go, let em go. Don't carry them around in your purse for a couple hours, dump them in the floor of your boat and then let them go. And video it so you can throw trout destined to be crab bait back as you say something like "Oh, she kicked off strong!". Yall know what I am talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
That too. But keeping 8 or 10 in the bag and then culling them out to get the biggest for your 5 is a bit unethical IMO too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #2752
chase15
Eight Point

Default 2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Ran out of Seadrift Friday and Saturday. Friday we found a mess of trout in the first Wade and a couple of us caught limits in 45 mins or so on dark soft plastics, a lot of nice fish 19-20 inches and turned loose 3 that were around 23Ē. Reds were a little tougher and we only caught one keeper. Saturday was a circus. We beat everyone to our first stop but while getting out of the boat I bet 40 boats burned passed us. The fish had moved on and we only strung 5 in the first couple of hours in the same spot as Friday. After that it was hard to find a spot and we ended up doing some exploring until the shorelines opened back up. Ended up with a dozen or so trout and a flounder. Magic grass and purple chart dsl got the most love this weekend.

chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #2753
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I've been pretty impressed so far, she takes the chop well. In a 2' - 3' chop, I can run about 23 pretty comfortably. Mine is rigged with an Etec 200 and my top end is around 38 so it's definitely not a speed demon. I've read online where people are getting closer to 50 though out of a Yamaha SHO.
You might need to change props.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #2754
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Why would you need that big olí sack for 5 17Ē trout anyways?
The totes are great, I won't go back to using a stringer. I keep all my gear in a waterproof tackle box that I throw in the tote so I dont have to carry it on me while fishing. I don't know why, but they seem to do much better around sharks. I don't know of anyone who has had a shark make a run at the tote like they will with a stringer. The bag is big enough that when I am done fishing I can throw all my wade gear in it and put it in my truck and never worry about something blowing out and are big enough to put a limit of upper slot reds in and not have to cram them down.

I have never had a fish die in my tote. I don't know where people are coming from when they say its hard on the fish. In fact my experience has been the exact opposite. I have caught some larger trout that were really struggling to get their lungs back after a tough fight. I didn't want to just release them and see them floating 10 minutes later, so I put them in the tote and kept fishing. After some time (maybe 45 minutes) they were released and swam off much stronger. My tote does a good job of holding its shape in the water so it gives the fish quite a bit of room and they aren't knocking into each other and there seems to have good water flow through it. I don't have a problem at all with someone culling from a tote while fishing. Bass guys cull from their livewell all the time. It seems to me giving a fish some time in a safe environment to get their wits back is better than just tossing them back right after the catch anyhow. I don't think anyone should have more than their legal limit in one though.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #2755
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
The totes are great, I won't go back to using a stringer. I keep all my gear in a waterproof tackle box that I throw in the tote so I dont have to carry it on me while fishing. I don't know why, but they seem to do much better around sharks. I don't know of anyone who has had a shark make a run at the tote like they will with a stringer. The bag is big enough that when I am done fishing I can throw all my wade gear in it and put it in my truck and never worry about something blowing out and are big enough to put a limit of upper slot reds in and not have to cram them down.

I have never had a fish die in my tote. I don't know where people are coming from when they say its hard on the fish. In fact my experience has been the exact opposite. I have caught some larger trout that were really struggling to get their lungs back after a tough fight. I didn't want to just release them and see them floating 10 minutes later, so I put them in the tote and kept fishing. After some time (maybe 45 minutes) they were released and swam off much stronger. My tote does a good job of holding its shape in the water so it gives the fish quite a bit of room and they aren't knocking into each other and there seems to have good water flow through it. I don't have a problem at all with someone culling from a tote while fishing. Bass guys cull from their livewell all the time. It seems to me giving a fish some time in a safe environment to get their wits back is better than just tossing them back right after the catch anyhow. I don't think anyone should have more than their legal limit in one though.

Whatever you like keep on using it. I would hate having to drag that thing around. Iím a minimalist when wading. I use a little over the shoulder set up with a box, net and stringer clipped to it and a rod holder up high if you need to go hands free. I like a stringer. I set mine up with dual floats, keeps the fish up off the bottom and out of your feet. Iíve had sharks get a stringer a time of two, but itís pretty rare, enough that I donít worry about it.

panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #2756
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I like the double float.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #2757
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #2758
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Whatever you like keep on using it. I would hate having to drag that thing around. Iím a minimalist when wading. I use a little over the shoulder set up with a box, net and stringer clipped to it and a rod holder up high if you need to go hands free. I like a stringer. I set mine up with dual floats, keeps the fish up off the bottom and out of your feet. Iíve had sharks get a stringer a time of two, but itís pretty rare, enough that I donít worry about it.

We fish poc mainly and out of all the places on the coast I think itís about the ďsharkiestĒ. If the sharks donít jack with ya, the daggum dolphins will! I have been looking at an over the shoulder rig like yours but itís so easy to toss everything the the tote and only have a wade belt and net next to me. The tote I keep on a pretty long list e so itís not in the way.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #2759
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
We fish poc mainly and out of all the places on the coast I think it’s about the “sharkiest”. If the sharks don’t jack with ya, the daggum dolphins will! I have been looking at an over the shoulder rig like yours but it’s so easy to toss everything the the tote and only have a wade belt and net next to me. The tote I keep on a pretty long list e so it’s not in the way.
About as far as I get down there is greens and cottons, but that’s only 3-4 trips a year. I see sharks every time I go but haven’t had any get my fish. I hate seeing those stupid things. lol. The only times I’ve been sharked is in the surf.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #2760
justletmein
Pope & Young

The closer you get to Pass Cavallo and big jetty area are of coarse loaded up with them pretty good.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #2761
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
The closer you get to Pass Cavallo and big jetty area are of coarse loaded up with them pretty good.

No doubt. Hence, the fish tote. We wade the shoreline between the jetties and the pass all the time as well as the hump and city slicker. We actually waded there this weekend fishing the Short Stick Shootout (everyone has to use Disney kids rod and reel combos). I pulled 2nd place big red off the shoreline there and got about a thousand odd stares working a topwater with a Paw Patrol rod!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #2762
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

I have buckets set up to keep sharks from getting my fish when I fish sharky areas. I have had sharks work on my 5 gallon buckets trying to get fish. Back when Do Nets were a thing I had several of them ruined by sharks. You may not have had one tear up your fish bag deal yet, but give it time. If they can smell them they will eventually get after it. And it's not going to stand up to a decent sized shark. They can chew on and pull on my shark buckets but they don't tear them up. If a shark is big enough to crush a 5 gallon bucket he can have my fish.
Coastal Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #2763
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
No doubt. Hence, the fish tote. We wade the shoreline between the jetties and the pass all the time as well as the hump and city slicker. We actually waded there this weekend fishing the Short Stick Shootout (everyone has to use Disney kids rod and reel combos). I pulled 2nd place big red off the shoreline there and got about a thousand odd stares working a topwater with a Paw Patrol rod!

City Slicker? Not familiar.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #2764
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post
City Slicker? Not familiar.

It would be the shoreline as you come out of the little jetties heading towards the pass on your right. Between the Little Maryís and the little jetties.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #2765
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
It would be the shoreline as you come out of the little jetties heading towards the pass on your right. Between the Little Maryís and the little jetties.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #2766
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:

There good wading on the south side of Little Mary's between it and Saluria as well. Some people lump that in as City Slicker as well. We call it the bucket because there is a PVC pole sticking out of the sandbar with a white bucket on it and it has been there for years. There is a guy that runs close to the shoreline then a big sand flat followed by another gut (they run parallel to the shoreline). There is a little mixed shell in some areas on around the middle. We typically wad from the small island on just off the shoreline towards little Mary's.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #2767
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
I have buckets set up to keep sharks from getting my fish when I fish sharky areas. I have had sharks work on my 5 gallon buckets trying to get fish. Back when Do Nets were a thing I had several of them ruined by sharks. You may not have had one tear up your fish bag deal yet, but give it time. If they can smell them they will eventually get after it. And it's not going to stand up to a decent sized shark. They can chew on and pull on my shark buckets but they don't tear them up. If a shark is big enough to crush a 5 gallon bucket he can have my fish.
If i can see the sharks, I get my butt outta their water. I'm not man enough to wait for them to crush a five gallon bucket!

I have never had a shark get to crazy with my but I have had a dolphin swim between my legs and that hurt and it scared the heck out of me....I'm sure there's a dolphin talking to his dolphin buddies about getting crapped on by some dude and thats why he doesn't go up to Indianola any more haha.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #2768
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Only problem I ever had with sharks at POC was once wading near the old coral pens (between them and the "cedar trees"... This pesky little sandy kept running up into the shallow water where I was wading and chasing my fish on the stringer... I was fishing with a mirror lure and he'd follow that in then switch over to my strung fish... well after about the third time of doing that, I wound up the lure to the rod tip and whacked that sucker on the back when he swam by... Yep, you know it... I stuck him right in the back with all three hooks of that mirro lure!! The fight was on!!! All's I can say is that it didn't end well for him that day...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #2769
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I'll take 5 sharks for every ray I wade past
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #2770
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post

Me too!!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #2771
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I've been hit by a ray, and sharks worry me more. I know that you are way more likely to get hit by a ray

Sharks just look sinister cruising around the water.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #2772
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Only problem I ever had with sharks at POC was once wading near the old coral pens (between them and the "cedar trees"... This pesky little sandy kept running up into the shallow water where I was wading and chasing my fish on the stringer... I was fishing with a mirror lure and he'd follow that in then switch over to my strung fish... well after about the third time of doing that, I wound up the lure to the rod tip and whacked that sucker on the back when he swam by... Yep, you know it... I stuck him right in the back with all three hooks of that mirro lure!! The fight was on!!! All's I can say is that it didn't end well for him that day...
Haha I bet not! My buddy has a house on the island further east of there and we woke up early one morning and waded the flat in front of the house. My friend had a dolphin NAIL his top water and it was on. He got spooled after a just few minutes of fighting it but that is the only time i have heard of a dolphin hitting someones lure. I wouldnt have believed it but I was standing right next to him when it happened.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #2773
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
We had rays all over us at greens this weekend. I stopped counting at 10.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #2774
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I had rather tangle with a shark I think. At least they for the most part let you know they are there. You donít know a Ray is there until itís too late.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #2775
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
We had rays all over us at greens this weekend. I stopped counting at 10.
Every time I've been over in Green's it's always loaded with rays.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #2776
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Every time I've been over in Green's it's always loaded with rays.

Correct. There are more stingrays there than any other part of West Matagorda Bay, Espiritu Santo, or the San Antonio Bay complex in my opinion.

Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #2777
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Correct. There are more stingrays there than any other part of West Matagorda Bay, Espiritu Santo, or the San Antonio Bay complex in my opinion.

I don't know if it has the most but if it doesn't I haven't been to the place that has more.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #2778
Coastal Ducks
Ten Point

Couple pics of some TBH celebrities from the last few days. The wind has been terrible but with patience and persistence we keep putting decent boxes of fish together.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #2779
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

Quote:
Couple pics of some TBH celebrities from the last few days. The wind has been terrible but with patience and persistence we keep putting decent boxes of fish together.

Thanks, CD! Had a great day on the water with you today. That wind tried to get the best of us, but we gave it what for by still boxing some fish.
Fargus is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #2780
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:

****. I know them dudes. Well I used to know one till he got spotted drinking the claw....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #2781
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
****. I know them dudes. Well I used to know one till he got spotted drinking the claw....

Bud I been on them claws for about 3 years now. Lol. I was on em before they were cool.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #2782
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

That short one in the blue shirt is Bad Medicine! Better watch out for him. Lol! Congrats to everybody on a good couple days of fishing!
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #2783
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Bud I been on them claws for about 3 years now. Lol. I was on em before they were cool.
Dood, I don't remember you drinking them back when you were stealing other folks steaks.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #2784
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Solid trout guys!
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #2785
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Dood, I don't remember you drinking them back when you were stealing other folks steaks.

Dennis was the steak thief. Lol
Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #2786
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
That short one in the blue shirt is Bad Medicine! Better watch out for him. Lol! Congrats to everybody on a good couple days of fishing!

Who you calling short? Lol
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #2787
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was thinking pot meet kettle. Lol

Old 07-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #2788
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Nice guys!!!

If you don't like Sharks stay out of West Matty, counted 4 my last trip. Seems worse every year. At they seem docile for the most part.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #2789
Punkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Planning to take my son out Friday to West Galveston Bay for his first saltwater fishing trip. This will only be my second trip out there. I'm planning to launch at the public ramp behind Tiki Island. If anyone has some suggestions or tips I'd appreciate it. Really hoping he can hook into a red fish, it'll be fun to watch him fight it. I'll be throwing plastics but may try to get some live bait for him if I can find some without having to wait in a long line. I've been waiting for some good weather and I really want his first experience to be a good one.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #2790
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
We Ain't short, Just vertically challenged!!LOL!
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #2791
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Dennis was the steak thief. Lol
That right, man, getting older sucks.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #2792
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Nice guys!!!

If you don't like Sharks stay out of West Matty, counted 4 my last trip. Seems worse every year. At they seem docile for the most part.

That ain't nuthin'!! If you don't like sharks, NEVER I repeat NEVER go to the Chandeleur's!! You wanna see some sharks, go fishin' out there in a float plane...
Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #2793
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Pretty dang gusty this morning!

Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #2794
JACK750
Four Point

Good luck!!
JACK750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #2795
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Pretty slow morning only got 2 fish so far but I did run into the famous hogboy! Nice seeing you Gary. Name:  IMG_2430.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  60.0 KB

Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #2796
justletmein
Pope & Young

It's always a good day when the trout are bigger than the reds but still pale in comparison to the size of the big toe.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #2797
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Pretty slow morning only got 2 fish so far but I did run into the famous hogboy! Nice seeing you Gary. Attachment 1009273 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to visit with you Chris. Nothing but dink trout for the Hogboy and Syl, but at least we were on the water. Get Kirsten feeling better and we'll get together with you guys the next chance.
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #2798
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
It's always a good day when the trout are bigger than the reds but still pale in comparison to the size of the big toe.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #2799
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Pretty slow morning only got 2 fish so far but I did run into the famous hogboy! Nice seeing you Gary. Attachment 1009273

Beats being at work. You and the Mrs. have a nice dinner now. Good luck on the rest of your trip.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #2800
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Ended up with a pretty good box for a solo trip 22Ē trout 18Ē flat boy and my limit of reds plus about 8-10 released reds.