Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #6551
Clabdor
Nubbin' Buck

New Mexico draw is so stacked against non-residents, it is like hitting the lottery if you do get it.
Clabdor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #6552
Clabdor
Nubbin' Buck

In accordance with state law, the drawing attempts to distribute a minimum of 84% of the licenses/permits for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10% to residents and nonresidents who have contracted with an outfitter and 6% to nonresidents who haven't contracted with an outfitter
Clabdor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #6553
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clabdor View Post
In accordance with state law, the drawing attempts to distribute a minimum of 84% of the licenses/permits for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10% to residents and nonresidents who have contracted with an outfitter and 6% to nonresidents who haven't contracted with an outfitter
I have hunted there 14 years and have only drew one tag. Horrible odds for non residents.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #6554
Pernell
Ten Point

The guy I buy my LO tags from called me yesterday and said, The state has cut the LO tags in half. They are now wanting $8500 for a tag. I am done with elk hunting in NM.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #6555
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
In for info on these two units. I hunted 78 a couple years back and was there too late (hunting pressure pushed most elk onto private) or that's what it seemed like to me. Lots of sign everywhere but no sight of elk other than on the other side of the fence. Sucks that Colorado made the changes.

You got plenty of time to get after it and get fit.

What's the deal with Wyoming? I assume there aren't any OTC tags up there. I might need to find another state.
I drew 78 third choice this year, really the biggest pain point is it isnít an either sex tag anymore. Iíve never not gotten into elk in 78. Best way to find elk in 78 is not go to a trail head
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #6556
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell View Post
The guy I buy my LO tags from called me yesterday and said, The state has cut the LO tags in half. They are now wanting $8500 for a tag. I am done with elk hunting in NM.
Man I saw that coming. A lot of whining about the unit wide tag, which suxs because it opens up a lot of public ranches for hunting.

Makes you feel any better Iím on a 13 year dry elk draw in NM also. I draw Mulie every year, but elk tag is a purple squirrel
Old 06-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #6557
Pernell
Ten Point

Looks like i'm still elk hunting in NM. I found me a unit 15 tag. It might be my last year, unless I get lucky and draw a tag.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #6558
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Iíve got Elk on the brain big time today!! Montana is calling.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #6559
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Wondering what this little one will turn out to be?
They use the meadows til early fall.
Attached Images

wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #6560
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Cute little thing! Momma looks healthy too.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #6561
bowhuntercoach
Six Point

A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?
bowhuntercoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #6562
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

I got invited to go hunt with my buddy and the Born and Raised guys for a few days early September.. It will all depend on how my job hunt is going after school. If I dont have a job yet I will be spending a lot of time in Colorado this year. If I do I probably wont be able to make it
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #6563
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?
No doubt it's hard to narrow down, this is why people don't easily give up location information. It takes hard work and countless hours finding a spot. It often ends up being a few years of trial and error. But you have to start somewhere.

Since you plan to go OTC, a Gohunt membership is a little less valuable. If you were working draw odds, gohunt is very nice. If you have the money to spare, it still has tons of information and filtering to help you narrow down.

As for units, they all have elk. Don't waste to much time deciding between units right now, you want to spend the majority of your time narrowing down to a specific area in a unit.

Driving distance - some units are a days drive, some two. Start narrowing by max distance you want to drive. Getting further away can help.

% public land available to hunt - find a few with good numbers, 50% or more

Then get inside a unit. Randy Newberg has good videos on this.
Use the Colorado atlas to find elk summer and winter concentration areas. They will travel between these areas. This gets you roughly in the area of elk.
Find roads and trails to get you close to these areas. Pick a few of these trailheads and create plans for each one.
The plan will use all the information you learn from reading, videos, and boots on the ground to find the highest chance areas to be in the area of elk.

Without experience it is hard to understand the realities of the terrain. What looks easy on a map can be impossible on the ground. Keep in mind elk are killed hundreds of yards to several miles from the truck.
I would stay away from wilderness areas, they are typically thick and steep. You can definitely find elk there, but may not be fun for the first trip.

If you have specific questions, PM me. I'm no expert, but know how difficult it is and i am willing to help.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #6564
Wits_End
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
I got invited to go hunt with my buddy and the Born and Raised guys for a few days early September.. It will all depend on how my job hunt is going after school. If I dont have a job yet I will be spending a lot of time in Colorado this year. If I do I probably wont be able to make it
What a cool opportunity. How does that even happen?
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #6565
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:

Since you arent trying to figure draw points and only currently look at one state, I wouldnít buy the go hunt membership this year. You can find unit ratios on CO website. I would just pick an OTC unit and go.

Elk are where you find them, sometimes going high isnít the best answer.
If you havenít found them in 2-3 days bail to a new spot
Old 06-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #6566
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Man I'd have to put off a job search if I had the chance to hunt with those guys.. i hope you get to go and also find a the job you want..

I'll be hunting alone this year . My buddy didn't put in for the same unit I drew..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #6567
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Quote:
Make it happen man. Take your cameras LFG and B&R should be able to help you blow up your channel and then you dont have to keep looking for a new boss. I keep hearing that the most common thing folks say on their deathbed isn't "I wish I focused more on work." Colorado is truly God's country and I take every excuse I can to spend time there. I'll be up in SW co Sept 8-16 chasing bulls myself.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #6568
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
Make it happen man. Take your cameras LFG and B&R should be able to help you blow up your channel and then you dont have to keep looking for a new boss. I keep hearing that the most common thing folks say on their deathbed isn't "I wish I focused more on work." Colorado is truly God's country and I take every excuse I can to spend time there. I'll be up in SW co Sept 8-16 chasing bulls myself.

It will definitely be awesome if I can pull it off. Graduate lineman school August 14. Would be amazing if I could do interviews and all that good stuff between then and September and get hired on with a start date of like September 15-20 or even October 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #6569
bowhuntercoach
Six Point

Thanks for the help to those that responded. PM sent Wits End.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #6570
txmuleyman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alpine,Ft.Davis,Nebraska

This will be my first year back to bow hunting elk. My hunting buddies and I got into the long range game 4 years ago. It’s been good to us. This year we changed gears. I’ve got 2 1/2 weeks in Montana. Tags are in. We have permission to hunt a private ranch in Dillon from Friday through Sunday of both weeks I’m there. During the week we will hunt public land in their hometown. All 3 of us are in the big bull or nothing boat this year. We all killed 290-310 bulls over the last few years. With their knowledge on public land we’ve never been skunked. I’m counting my blessings and busting my butt to get in better shape this year. Hope everyone has a great year on the mountain.
txmuleyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #6571
7sdad
Ten Point

My girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday afternoon headed to the backcountry to set out Trail cameras and enjoy some cooler weather.

7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #6572
wytex
Ten Point

The mountains have hordes of folks up in them right now, campers everywhere.
Place your cams carefully and hide them well.
Sure hope school gets going late summer or we'll have tons of company in the forest for fall.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #6573
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
The mountains have hordes of folks up in them right now, campers everywhere.
Place your cams carefully and hide them well.
Sure hope school gets going late summer or we'll have tons of company in the forest for fall.

If someone climbs into area where these will be then they deserve to have them.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #6574
chevota
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Private land... Where ever I can

Quote:
I've been happy with onx maps. Also google earth has lots of resources to utilize for game ranges. I liked the tracking function of onx. Plus it worked where I didn't have service. I will say this the spot I went last year had tons of fresh sign and rubs (more than the other hunters we talked to). However it did not show under the elk range filters on the maps. Also pay close attention to the topo maps as my "idea" of a plan was way unrealistic in person. We hiked an insane number of miles over the course of a week long trip followed up by a hail Mary trip at the end of the month. Both my units I tried were nice crowding wasn't an issue but I did come back without an elk. Both units 75 and 77 are now draw only as well.

X2 on Randy Neuburg as far as the terrain you are looking for.

Biggest tip is enjoy the trip successful or not I'd take a week in CO mountains with no elk over shooting a big whitetail from my TX stands. Headed to unit 81 this year we'll see how it goes! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
chevota is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #6575
chevota
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
In for info on these two units. I hunted 78 a couple years back and was there too late (hunting pressure pushed most elk onto private) or that's what it seemed like to me. Lots of sign everywhere but no sight of elk other than on the other side of the fence. Sucks that Colorado made the changes.

You got plenty of time to get after it and get fit.

What's the deal with Wyoming? I assume there aren't any OTC tags up there. I might need to find another state.
I'm planning 81 mid september. Last year was 75 1st week lots of sign but I never saw one. 77 the last weekend I spooked one at 20yrds never had a chance. We kind of surprised each other. Headed up for a weekend to scope out a spot in 81 maybe set cams at the end of the month. On the drive up there elk were everywhere on the drive between Carson national forest to Chama NM. Turned back into muleys from that point on for the drive. Wish I could score a tag there haha yeah right.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #6576
Buck Down
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales county

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Iíve got Elk on the brain big time today!! Montana is calling.
Where at In Montana you hunting? I drew north of Billings. Itís my first time hunting Montana, Iím usually in New Mexico or Colorado. Out of 6 states this yr I drew Montana. Looks like a great area with tons of farm land. I should be there the first week of September. I like the second week but outfitter said first is the best chance shooting a bigger bull. Horns are looking really good so far.
Buck Down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #6577
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Down View Post
Where at In Montana you hunting? I drew north of Billings. Itís my first time hunting Montana, Iím usually in New Mexico or Colorado. Out of 6 states this yr I drew Montana. Looks like a great area with tons of farm land. I should be there the first week of September. I like the second week but outfitter said first is the best chance shooting a bigger bull. Horns are looking really good so far.

Iíll be in SW Montana opening 10 days. Opening week has historically been good for shot opportunity on big bulls.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #6578
Hockley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
If someone climbs into area where these will be then they deserve to have them.

I bet I know where they are going!!!! Iím afraid itís going to be crowded up there this year.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #6579
7sdad
Ten Point

I doubt it itís not a well known place.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #6580
bowhuntercoach
Six Point

What recommendations do you all have for a cow call? Also looking for the best pair of boots in the $200 price range. I cannot pay more than that. My workouts are gearing up and I have lost more than ten pounds! Colorado here we come!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #6581
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
What recommendations do you all have for a cow call? Also looking for the best pair of boots in the $200 price range. I cannot pay more than that. My workouts are gearing up and I have lost more than ten pounds! Colorado here we come!
Check out the Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite GTX, I believe you can get them for $199 and they make a great boot with a blister free guarantee.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #6582
txmuleyman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alpine,Ft.Davis,Nebraska

Quote:
Phelps Grey or White are my go to for diaphragm calls.
txmuleyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #6583
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmuleyman View Post
Phelps Grey or White are my go to for diaphragm calls.

I like the grey too

Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #6584
wytex
Ten Point

New Pronghorns are out from Danner. Those boots have made lots of hunts out west.
I would get a few cow calls, a couple of bite and blows and some diaphragms. You want to vary your calls.
Sceery, Carlton and Primos make good sounding bite and blows.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #6585
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Been testing heads for this years elk hunt and have found my final pick. Very very impressed with this head

Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #6586
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
Been testing heads for this years elk hunt and have found my final pick. Very very impressed with this head
It looks angry. What is it?
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #6587
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Shooting dead on out to 70yards with my field points and out penetrated another 2 blade I was testing. Stupid sharp and the toughest mechanical I have ever seen
Old 07-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #6588
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Quote:

Phelps amp in grey or the maverick which I believe is red. Iíve got like 5 of each in my pack
Old 07-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #6589
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:

Looks "cool", but that's too many moving parts for me to use on a big-boned elk. I'm sure it will perform well if you slip it between the ribs.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #6590
Bbostick25
Spike

Magnus broadheads are 22$ online through gander mtn
Bbostick25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #6591
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Looks "cool", but that's too many moving parts for me to use on a big-boned elk. I'm sure it will perform well if you slip it between the ribs.
Head is very simple and strong. I Have no problem with putting one through a rib bone. Shoulders are a problem for any head given angles regardless if fixed or mechical. My goal is to never test a head out on a shoulder through accuracy
Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #6592
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbostick25 View Post
Magnus broadheads are 22$ online through gander mtn
My son folded a stinger like a J a couple weeks ago .. 40 lb bow . He hit the femer of a 100 lb sow.. i killed a cow Elk with one last year and it did the same thing on the off side leg..
I'll be shooting Iron will and Exodus heads this year..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #6593
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Phelps amp in grey or the maverick which I believe is red. Iíve got like 5 of each in my pack

Maverick is my go to as well. Good cow sounds and great for bugle. Wonít wear out like a lot of other calls
huntingfanatic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #6594
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Head is very simple and strong. I Have no problem with putting one through a rib bone. Shoulders are a problem for any head given angles regardless if fixed or mechical. My goal is to never test a head out on a shoulder through accuracy
I hear ya. Most of the guys in our elk group shoot Rage's. Just be careful on the quartering shots. With 2 moving planes, I could see some deflected shots, especially if hitting ribs. I would bet on perfect broadside shots, that head should do well.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #6595
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfanatic View Post
Maverick is my go to as well. Good cow sounds and great for bugle. Wonít wear out like a lot of other calls
Maverick here also, itís a very tight stretch, takes a 30+ hard bugles your break it in though. IMO
Old 07-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #6596
chevota
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I decided to use my fixed broad heads over mechanical last for that reason. Not to say it wouldn't work or one is better than the other I like em both. My Mech rage heads have a ridiculous cut on them.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #6597
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

It cracks me up every time someone post the same o fixed blade statements every time a mechanical is posted. You would almost think a elk has never been lost with a fixed blade broadhead. LoL

Was just posting a positive report on a head . Shoot what makes you feel confident Boys.
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #6598
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

For anybody who has hunted the Gravelies Range in SW Montana near the Idaho border, hereís Black Butte in July.

And snow still on the mountains at 9k feet.

We had a search and rescue training mission yesterday. Last season there were 4 griz attacks in this area. We did not see any. Be bear aware- UDAP spray position where you can access it immediately. I added a 45 with buffalo bore bear loads and had a 12 gauge slug gun on my side by side.

Be safe- Iíd like to meet ya- but not up there at 2 am. Itís 3+ hours from when we would leave our building until weíre there. Carry a Spot or InReach in case.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:03 AM   #6599
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
It cracks me up every time someone post the same o fixed blade statements every time a mechanical is posted. You would almost think a elk has never been lost with a fixed blade broadhead. LoL

Was just posting a positive report on a head . Shoot what makes you feel confident Boys.
Those elk lost on fixed blade heads are probably result of a bad shot not a malfunction.
I would say talk with a few elk outfitters and guides and see what they have to say about mechanicals on elk. Most have been in on hundreds of elk hunts not one a year. They would have the best advice .
I always wondered if they can deploy if you hit a twig or branch, perhaps shoot through grass ?

I bet if you make a good shot they will work fine, but as stated that one has lots of moving parts to go wrong.
Good luck on your hunt though, hope you get into some bugling.
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #6600
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:

Iíve killed elk with mechanicals(ulmer) but have also seen some crazy deflections because of blades bending or breaking via other types of mechanicals, grant it all elk but one was recovered but some of those deflections made some horrific tracking jobs. No doubt a fixed wouldnít of deflected inside and probably been a clean passtru.

Same time Iíve also seen a 550 grain 25% FOC arrow with a single bevel fixed out Of a 72lbs bow hit shoulder at 20yards, and make it just a few inches, only to watch the bull three days later pushing cows 2 miles away, with a limp and gash in his shoulder.

There is No magic bullet but Iíd recommend a happy medium between cutting diameter and durable construction instead of drawing a line in the sand either way from experience.

Wont recommend a fixed with tip curling issues like stringers nor one with a small cutting diameter like kudu, as I also wouldnít recommend a long thin bladed mechanical like rage non +pís either. Just my opinion formed from a lot of Mine and buddies archery hunting elk screw ups and mishaps.