Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #151
Tommyh
Pope & Young
 
Tommyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy
Default

yup, this one has about run its course
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #152
tgil
Pope & Young
 
tgil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burleson, Tx
Default

My sticker is in the center, will that mean I'm on the fence?
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #153
Dru
Ten Point
 
Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Leggy, mine is on the driver's side now and that is where it will remain.

Again, a warning (s) would have served the better good in this situation. Not only would it have caused the same out come with Steve and Michael as far as knowing and following the law; it would also have endeared the two game wardens to those two as well as the majority of this site. They (game wardens) have a thankless job and are definately under appreciated. A benfit of doubt and a reprimand could have gone a long way in this particular situation.

My offer to donate to the Legdog processing course still stands.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #154
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Maybe those that think Leggy got what was coming to him and would have written the tickets themselves should put their TBH stickers on the right side of the back windshield to alert statewide GWs that the hunter in this vehicle supports them.

Those that think Leggy should have gotten a warning can put their stickers on the left side of the back windshield and take their chances when they are pulled over by a GW.


Dang it Shane....mine is already on the left. You trying to set me up


Some of these replies are quite comical...I think if Leggy had indeed gotten a warning, some would be calling for the GW's heads for NOT doing their job.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #155
Todd-ty729
Pope & Young
 
Todd-ty729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Double Oak(Flower Mound), Denton County
Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico
Default

Good grief!

Had the local GW visit our camp this weekend and had one doe properly tagged and one buck that the hunter failed to fill out the back of the license.

He was given a warning for not filling out the back of the license.

Otherwise we stood around and tried to think of game warden jokes and BS'd with him for about 30 minutes before he left.

I like my game warden and I liked the one who worked our county the previous 8 years we have been on this lease.

I would not like my game warden if he gave out tickets for processing a deer beyond quartering. That is a piddly thing and generally will not endear someone to being cooperative in the future but then it the GW's in question may not really care.



Any one know any good game warden jokes? Made a bet with our GW that I could come up with a GW joke he hasn't heard yet via my TBH brothers. (he saw my TBH sticker on the truck as well)
Todd-ty729 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #156
Codie
Pope & Young
 
Codie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham Texas
Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties
Default

some interesting opinions on this thread. I am one of the bad/mean/intolerant guys I guess, one of the folks that feels like a rule is a rule and it should be inforced, (whether it was done intentionally or not). Your story does not leave a sour taste in my mouth for game wardens at all, BUT it does make me want to go read my hunters handbook and make sure I know ALL the rules before I go hunting again. So thank you for this post for that reason and I am sorry that my lack of knowledge of hunting rules and regs had to be realized by reading of your mis-fortune.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #157
Xspot
Ten Point
 
Xspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Waxahachie
Hunt In: Quanah
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Dang it Shane....mine is already on the left. You trying to set me up
so is mine....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Some of these replies are quite comical...I think if Leggy had indeed gotten a warning, some would be calling for the GW's heads for NOT doing their job.
Xspot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #158
Tommyh
Pope & Young
 
Tommyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Katy
Default

I got one on each since just for instances like this. can't catch me in the wrong!
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #159
Double L
Pope & Young
 
Double L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belton
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #160
Joshua Flournoy
Ten Point
 
Joshua Flournoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Default

Well, I originally had intended to read this entire thread....but didn't. Too long, sorry.

My feelings on the matter....

1) You broke the law, intentionally or not (obviously NOT in your case), makes you liable to pay a fine and the GW is justified in giving one if he chooses to do so. Ignorance of the law (even a new one) is no excuse.

2) The above being said, this should have been one of those situations where the LEO realizes you are one of the "good guys" and simply made a boneheaded mistake, not intentionally broke the law. Warnings, not citations, should have been issued, in my opinion.

3) Given the situation, those GW's gave up some quality field time to cite you for a very minor infraction, when they might instead have happened on a serious game violation wherever they were when the DPS officer called them to come check you out. I believe a proper analogy would be the cops taking the time to cite someone for jaywalking when a bank robbery might have been in progress around the corner.

4) It is situations like these where the LEO fraternity really shoot themselves in the foot. It is situations like these that really make the public at large wonder exactly whether LEO are here to put criminals in jail, uphold justice and keep the general peace, or whether they are more interested in harassing good citizens who are law-abiding 99% of the time until they make a boneheaded mistake, an accident. LEO only make their REAL job that much harder by spending valuable time harassing the "good guys" instead of using that time to try and find the "bad guys".

My advice is to pay the fine, chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned, and on future trips hide your ice chests very deep under all your other luggage in a very inaccessible spot, even if you tagged everything properly and are completely within the law.
Joshua Flournoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #161
kramer
Eight Point
 
kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flower Mound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Leggy, mine is on the driver's side now and that is where it will remain.

Again, a warning (s) would have served the better good in this situation. Not only would it have caused the same out come with Steve and Michael as far as knowing and following the law; it would also have endeared the two game wardens to those two as well as the majority of this site. They (game wardens) have a thankless job and are definately under appreciated. A benfit of doubt and a reprimand could have gone a long way in this particular situation.

My offer to donate to the Legdog processing course still stands.

Why do people continue to say the GW was doing his job BUT......

Where does this feeling of entitlement and discretion come from. If he had given a warning it would have endeared him to the TBH crew???? So basically he was doing his job, but people on this forum can bash that because they feel he should have handled it a different way??? So now we have a thread with the GW's pictures posted, several people outright saying they dont like GW's for this specific reason and yet it continues to go on.

We have some simple rules at my house and my 3 and 6 year old seem to handle those better than most hunters seem to be taking this--

1--Treat others as you would have them treat you
2--you get what you get and you dont pitch a fit
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #162
RedRaiderInAustin
Six Point
 
RedRaiderInAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Milam County
Default

I don't think it was the TBH sticker that influenced their decision to cite. It was the Aggie sticker!
RedRaiderInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #163
Jethro
Ten Point
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Collingsworth County
Hunt In: Loco, Quail, Lutie, Needwood.
Default

Hey ty729-

A very good friend of mine was the warden for Irion county prior to the one you have now. He is a good man. I would trust the lives of my family to him, without question.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #164
kramer
Eight Point
 
kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flower Mound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.
Permanent marker or sharpie.

Ziplock baggie with the tag inside, kept with the meat.

Upon shooting a deer I fill out tag and log with sharpie, fully cut out the day and month, attach the tag to a leg of the deer with electrical tape (keep small knife, sharpie and electrical tape in your backpack).

There is even a company out there that sells small sealable pouches to put your tag in, with a hole to wire it to the head/body.

Be aware too if you use wire or string and attach to the antlers, your tag can rip and blow away.

Last edited by kramer; 10-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #165
aironeout
Pope & Young
 
aironeout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Victoria,Tx
Hunt In: McMullen,and DeWitt Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Maybe those that think Leggy got what was coming to him and would have written the tickets themselves should put their TBH stickers on the right side of the back windshield to alert statewide GWs that the hunter in this vehicle supports them.

Those that think Leggy should have gotten a warning can put their stickers on the left side of the back windshield and take their chances when they are pulled over by a GW.

You asked for it you got it. Guess you could say I'm a "Right-Winged" kind of individual.

Name:  DSC04342 [640x480].JPG
Views: 653
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  DSC04343 [640x480].JPG
Views: 649
Size:  79.4 KB

>E
aironeout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #166
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Charlie's post about the tag staying with the carcass has me thinking. If a deer is skinned and quartered at camp and put in an ice chest and covered with ice, how would you protect the tag so the ink would not run or smear and be illegible when and if checked by a game warden? I, like Steven, have always tagged the head and kept it with the ice chest for proof of sex until final disposition. Seems like putting the tag in a wet environment is asking for trouble.
That's a good point Larry. It might not be good for the tag, but it is the law... It's never been a problem for any of my deer. I put my meat in plastic bags and keep all water possible off of it. I dump the ice in the chest and on the bag covered meat. The tags don't get wet pretty much.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #167
Ducksmith
Six Point
 
Ducksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tyler
Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
The doe's head was in the truck "tagged".
It is my hope that the judge who reviews this case will be able to see that bad intentions had absolutely no part to play in any of this.
I think the law changes in the last legislative session took the judge out of the equation on the fines. I know for a fact, from being in the insurance business, that judge may no longer reduce or waive a fine for "failure to provide proof of financial responsibility and or expired inspection/registration regardless of circumstance".

The new laws makes it against the law for the Judge to change the fine amount. Ya'll may want to check into it
Ducksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #168
Ducksmith
Six Point
 
Ducksmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tyler
Default hmmm

And as someone said earlier, I would ask for deferred adjudication

Last edited by Ducksmith; 10-05-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: duplicate
Ducksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #169
Dru
Ten Point
 
Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Where does this feeling of entitlement and discretion come from.
Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.

As far as bashing the GW, I've not really seen that as much as wondering if the punishment fit this particular crime.

You could go as far as saying the GW's in question violated your number 1 rule. A timeout may be in order
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #170
kramer
Eight Point
 
kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flower Mound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.

As far as bashing the GW, I've not really seen that as much as wondering if the punishment fit this particular crime.

You could go as far as saying the GW's in question violated your number 1 rule. A timeout may be in order
And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.

As far as the treat people as you want to be treated, many have stated here they will now cold shoulder the game warden and keep it businesslike. No worries, thats your choice, but expect the same businesslike demeanor in return, but dont come back on here and say the GW in such-and-such county is rude and unfriendly. Its just like the swine flu scares. The people who screamed about school being let out and having to spend the week with their kids would be the first ones in line to hire an attorney if the school district DIDNT shut down.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #171
Dru
Ten Point
 
Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.
.
Not who, WHAT. I would hope the body of one's life would count more than one honest mistake. Oh well call me naive.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #172
Cameron
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Name:  tugowar.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  95.1 KB

Wow! Some serious tug o' war going on here...

In the end he got the tickets, however it might have made a stronger, and more positive impression on both the hunter and the hunters he came in contact with (in this case, thousands!) had he have given him a warning rather than a citation.

I look at it like we are both in this game together, we should spend more time working with and learning from Game Wardens rather than fearing them and being placed in a position of subordinance.

As far as the tag ticket goes, he was out of regulation and did need to log it on his tags, however I think it is a little rough to slam him with a ticket over it when he could be shown the right way and given the guidance needed to comply in the future.

What really gets me here is the ticket for the deboning, when he was only passing on technique to a woman wanting to learn how to better process her own game. I feel like being ticketed for that is the exact opposite of what should have been done. He didn't know it was illegal and did it for educational purpose. If that is how our system works I think it is a little backwards.

Either way, my sticker is on the left and will remain there...sorry this had to happen to one of the good guys.

Also as a side note, Legdog, did you happen to steal one of Kramer's girlfriends at some point in your life?

Last edited by Cameron; 10-05-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #173
big_smith
Ten Point
 
big_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wharton
Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico
Default

Sorry you got a ticket-as a LE Officer myself, handing out tickets was not the best part of my job. Yes I would rather be out catching "real" bad guys (bank robbers, rapists, child molesters) but I had a requirement that I issue citations for class C violations. I did it because it was my job-same as these GW's. I think Leg has taken responsibility and said he was in the wrong, and I respect him for that. Saying that he should have gotten a break because he is a good guy does not hold water. I have been in the wrong before-got tickets-paid a fine and moved on. We should learn from our mistakes, which I think has occurred here.

There was an article in Bowhunter Magazine several months back written by Curt Wells. He shot a moose that was undersized according to the regs. No one knew about it, yet he did the right thing and took the illegal moose to the check station and turned himself in. The GW apologized for having to write a citation, but did so because it was the law. Wrote a ticket even though Wells is a good guy, and could have just left the animal in the field and no one would have known about it. I think we can draw some parallels here.

Allthough I personally don't know the "boss" Michael, or Leg, they seem like great guys from what I have seen them post, and write. I understand being upset as no one likes getting a ticket. I have a little problem with the GW's being bashed by some of us for doing their job (Not Mike or Leg-others). There are bad cops out there no doubt. There are cops that get off to writing tickets like they are major crimes. GW's have a tough job as do all LE's. I don't think from what I have read that these two GW's were being malicious, just doing thier jobs. I'm not sure I would have given 2 citations under the circumstances, but I was not there.

Leg-as stated above, plead no contest, ask for deferred so this won't ultimately go on any record, and beg for leniency from the court.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #174
kramer
Eight Point
 
kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flower Mound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Wow! Some serious tug o' war going on here...

In the end he got the tickets, however it might have made a stronger, and more positive impression on both the hunter and the hunters he came in contact with (in this case, thousands!) had he have given him a warning rather than a citation.

I look at it like we are both in this game together, we should spend more time working with and learning from Game Wardens rather than fearing them and being placed in a position of subordinance.

As far as the tag ticket goes, he was out of regulation and did need to log it on his tags, however I think it is a little rough to slam him with a ticket over it when he could be shown the right way and given the guidance needed to comply in the future.

What really gets me here is the ticket for the deboning, when he was only passing on technique to a woman wanting to learn how to better process her own game. I feel like being ticketed for that is the exact opposite of what should have been done. He didn't know it was illegal and did it for educational purpose. If that is how our system works I think it is a little backwards.

Either way, my sticker is on the left and will remain there...sorry this had to happen to one of the good guys.

Also as a side note, Legdog, did you happen to steal one of Kramer's girlfriends at some point in your life?
I have never once personally attacked Legdog. I am respoding to the people who have come after that say the GW's have a hard job and are there to protect us, BUT. I am also saying if you break a law, expect a ticket, people, its really pretty simple.

In your thread you argue that the proper way to handle the non-filling of the log would be to give a warning and show him how to do it. Well thats just not right, not to Legdog or to the thousands of others who have been issued a citation for that. When you purchase a hunting license, you say to the state, I know the game laws and agree to abide by them.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #175
Cameron
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
In your thread you argue that the proper way to handle the non-filling of the log would be to give a warning and show him how to do it. Well thats just not right, not to Legdog or to the thousands of others who have been issued a citation for that. When you purchase a hunting license, you say to the state, I know the game laws and agree to abide by them.
People forget, I can personally remember when a log wasn't even required, it's a fairly new thing and it's easy to forget to do that in the heat of the moment. Let's fine him a hundred dollars and make an example out of him because he forgot. Bottome line, he wasn't trying to decieve the State. I think we are letting them in our back pocket too much. I understand him giving him the ticket, and I can't disagree with it because it's the law, but I do think it would have been more beneficial for both the hunter and the officer had he taken the time to educate him, rather than write him a ticket. In these economic times you have to ask yourself is it really worth it?

It would have put the game wardens in a whole different light had they have been more educationally determined rather than driven by quotas. Just my opinion though.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #176
Stupid
Ten Point
 
Stupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #177
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys.

Yes they are and as such they are held in high regard. We as bowhunters claim to be the most ethical and law abiding sportsmen on the planet. As such, we ALL need to live up to such a claim.

I haven't lost respect for Michael or Steven because of this thread and I certainly haven't lost respect for our Texas State Game Wardens. They were doing their job. It's just that simple.

If Mary had asked me to show her how to de-bone a deer I would have in a heartbeat. If Mary had asked me to chew up a rock, I would have in a hearbeat. Honest mistake!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #178
Birddogss
Pope & Young
 
Birddogss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Hunt In: TX, Diamond C, CA, AR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!
Well said and so very true!! It's time to lock or whack this thread!!!!
Birddogss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #179
Howard
Pope & Young
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Carta Valley
Default

Screw the tbh sticker. You have to get one of these- cost me a few hundred bucks for an add in the annual gw magazine! Maybe it will save me one day. Jk
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #180
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

I disagree with locking the thread. I think there's a valuable lesson here. The banter has been level headed, respectful and educational. I wish all TBH threads had content like this one does. JMO!!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #181
ShockValue
Pope & Young
 
ShockValue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flower Mound, Tx
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Yes they are and as such they are held in high regard. We as bowhunters claim to be the most ethical and law abiding sportsmen on the planet. As such, we ALL need to live up to such a claim.

I haven't lost respect for Michael or Steven because of this thread and I certainly haven't lost respect for our Texas State Game Wardens. They were doing their job. It's just that simple.

If Mary had asked me to show her how to de-bone a deer I would have in a heartbeat. If Mary had asked me to chew up a rock, I would have in a hearbeat. Honest mistake!


It sucks but it happened. I hated paying the City of Irving $250 for "going with the flow of traffic" on I-635. So what if the flow was 77 mph.

It was an innocent mistake that will hurt the wallet for a while but it is what it is. The bright side is you just potentially saved 10,000 others from making the same mistakes somewhere in the future.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #182
Ron
Pope & Young
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kings Creek Golf Club, Kemp TX
Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado
Default

What a bummer! Hate to hear this about good folks making an honest mistake and getting hammered. There sure are a lot of thieves and dirtbags out there that could better utilize the time these folks spent with yall.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #183
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

I just hope I don't get pulled over on the way TO the deer lease this weekend, cuz I'm takin some bacon wrapped backstrap fillets with me!


So far, this week feels like it's going to be just as long as last week....
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #184
Tferg51
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Waverly/Pineywoods
Hunt In: Votaw
Default

I learned the hard way about the log on the back of the license. I had shot a fat doe with my bow and had tagged her. The game warden was at the road coming out of our lease and asked if I had any luck. I was proud of my bow kill and said yes sir. I showed him the doe and gave him my hunting license. He asked me why I didn't fill out the log. It was the first year for it and I didn't have a clue it was on the back. As he was writing out the ticket I told him that I had never had a ticket and he said it wasn't a big deal it was the cheapest citation there was. So I thought maybe 50.00 or 75.00 bucks no big deal. When I called Polk county to see what my fine would be I was shocked that it was 350.00. I told the lady that it was a mistake the game warden said it was the cheapest fine there was she said that is the cheapest fine there is. I fill out the back of the license NOW!
Tferg51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #185
Farmdog
Ten Point
 
Farmdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mercedes
Default

hunt Mex...where you always get a fair deal
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #186
Stupid
Ten Point
 
Stupid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdog View Post
hunt Mex...where you always get a fair deal
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #187
nando
Ten Point
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Legdog
I don't know the fine but ask for a deferal. This will only go on record with TP&W.Everytime a GW stops you it will come up and they'll probably look even harder. If they look hard enough they can get you on something.
(Example) How many of ya’ll have a written consent from the owner of your lease. How many of ya’ll carry this with you when your in the field.
Good point.
nando is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #188
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young
 
Bowtech Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties
Default

After spending the last hour reading this thread, it is a great reminder that we should take the time to read the hunting regs before the start of every hunting season. Happy Hunting
Bowtech Lefty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #189
Skeetman
Eight Point
 
Skeetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

This post reminds me of one of my favorite hunting pictures…. With my very little experience with Game Wardens there are NO warnings. I am glad they do what they do, but the tickets given to LegDog were VERY unnecessary!!
Attached Images
 
Skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #190
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

I'm kinda shocked that so many didn't know about the quartering/processing part of the book...

Sorry it happened but many here have learned a valuable lesson.

My little menial story. I was at an in service meeting of Bow Ed instructors w/TPWD and the area instructors. Our own Dale Moses was there in full GW uniform. We were talking about something with the license and I pulled mine out. Dale saw that I had 3 tags missing/used and asked how I did that year. I told him I took 2 does and 1 buck. He asked to see my license and first thing he did (several months after season) was to check the log. It was filled out but I know he would have written me up right there if it wasn't. And it would have been his job to do so.

Moral: Read the book and ask for clarification on anything you don't understand...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #191
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironeout View Post
Sorry for not giving a better analogy and voicing my opinion which I too think is not wrong. This is like having an argument with my brother, one that neither side ever wins and creates bad feelings all the way around.
Trust me, there is no animosity whatsoever on this end. I realize that anytime I voice an opinion on any topic that I open myself up to criticism, and fully understood when I posted last night that there would be plenty who disagreed with me. That's perfectly OK. If I'm going to be critical of a GW (respectfully, I hope), I should also be prepared to accept criticism (equally respectful, I hope) back in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
And there you have it...........

People should have gotten a warning because of WHO they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Maybe because Steven and Michael have been such strong advocates of ethical hunting, been huge promoters of this sport, as evidenced by this site and well just all around good guys. Shut up Rudey, I'm not kissing up.
Some have contended that citations were issued BECAUSE of who we are (making an example of us) and some have suggested that perhaps we shouldn't have been cited BECAUSE of who we are. I thought on this last night, and I don't think that would have (or should have) swayed the officers' decisions in either direction. I think the decision to cite Steven had been made before the GW's had arrived, and I think the decision by the DPS trooper to give me a warning was also made independent of a site presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
most threads with this sort of "tug o war" or "banter" would have been deleted or locked. Hmmm!!! Ticket or warning? Ticket or warning? I guess everyone has a difference of opinion, but when we pick up that bow next weekend we are ALL one in the same!!!!! Good Hunting!!!!!!!!
Not all "tug o war" threads are created equal. First, as several have attested, although there has been plenty of debate, for the most part I think it's remained exceptionally respectful, and hasn't deteriorated as generally those that get deleted do.

Secondly, I'm probably a little prone to give a thread to which I post a little additional leeway, if for no other reason than because I can. However, I also have to consider the ramifications of deleting a thread to which I offer a an opinion, because undoubtedly the same people that are critical of me for not closing the thread would be equally critical of me FOR closing the thread because I was too thin skinned to accept the return criticism from those who disagree with me. Kinda the ol' Catch 22, if you will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
Sorry you got a ticket-as a LE Officer myself, handing out tickets was not the best part of my job. Yes I would rather be out catching "real" bad guys (bank robbers, rapists, child molesters) but I had a requirement that I issue citations for class C violations. I did it because it was my job-same as these GW's. I think Leg has taken responsibility and said he was in the wrong, and I respect him for that. Saying that he should have gotten a break because he is a good guy does not hold water. I have been in the wrong before-got tickets-paid a fine and moved on. We should learn from our mistakes, which I think has occurred here.

There was an article in Bowhunter Magazine several months back written by Curt Wells. He shot a moose that was undersized according to the regs. No one knew about it, yet he did the right thing and took the illegal moose to the check station and turned himself in. The GW apologized for having to write a citation, but did so because it was the law. Wrote a ticket even though Wells is a good guy, and could have just left the animal in the field and no one would have known about it. I think we can draw some parallels here.

Allthough I personally don't know the "boss" Michael, or Leg, they seem like great guys from what I have seen them post, and write. I understand being upset as no one likes getting a ticket. I have a little problem with the GW's being bashed by some of us for doing their job (Not Mike or Leg-others). There are bad cops out there no doubt. There are cops that get off to writing tickets like they are major crimes. GW's have a tough job as do all LE's. I don't think from what I have read that these two GW's were being malicious, just doing thier jobs. I'm not sure I would have given 2 citations under the circumstances, but I was not there.

Leg-as stated above, plead no contest, ask for deferred so this won't ultimately go on any record, and beg for leniency from the court.
Good post, and I appreciate the insight (from all LEO's on this site, as well). Part of the reason for taking the photos and posting the thread is because it's part of the story. It's also good discussion fodder, as evidenced by the variety of opinions expressed.

Hopefully the opinions expressed aren't confused with "bashing", a word that has been thrown around several times. Keep in mind, I'm not the one that received the citation. I got a warning, fortunately. I could have just as easily received a citation, and I would have accepted responsibility for it, just as Steven has for his violations.

Getting back to AirOneOut's analogy to the site (can I do that after I called it a bad analogy?), I've always said "You don't have to agree with the forum guidelines, but if you want to hang out here, you have to follow them." Similarly, I don't have to agree with the laws (or the enforcement thereof), but if I want to continue to hunt, we must accept (responsibility for breaking) them.

I'm going to email the link to this thread to both officers. I'm not sure they can or will comment, but it'd be interesting to get their feedback.

Michael
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #192
bmac
Ten Point
 
bmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD
Default

Good info in this thread time tear the Outdoor Annual apart to prevent nit picky tickets in the future. I have talked with dozens of GW but they will take every opportunity to check to see if you are legal. Sorry again to hear about your misfortune, but remember guys/gals this can happen to anybody if we don't pay attention to the minor laws that we overlook everyday.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #193
AgHntr10
Pope & Young
 
AgHntr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam
Default

Law is the law, the log thing has been around for at least 4 or 5 years now and they gave warnings when it started. No excuse for it now.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #194
smokeless
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minerva
Hunt In: Searching
Default

I have to agree with the others, in keeping this thread open. This has been some very good and entertaining reading. Glad you had success in the field last weekend. Sorry for the citations. We all play by the rules or get spanked. One last note. Make sure you put the tag on the animal immediately, in the field. Fill everything out to the letter. I had a hunting buddy who would always wait to tag at camp. I had warned him that he was in the wrong, to no avail. One year the GW came by camp. My friend had a deer hanging in the tree, no tag. I cost him dearly.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #195
zztex
Pope & Young
 
zztex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LaPorte
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
This really has no bearing on anything but I have a Concealed Handgun License. Although I rarely ever carry, in my view this means I'm "one of the good guys"... a guy who has had a background check and gave up the time and cash to learn the laws to have the privilege to carry. (for the record, I was not carrying today).

Since I spend a lot more time bowhunting than carrying a pistol, I guess I need to try a little harder to dot my i's and cross my t's in the hunting universe.

Funny thing, not one person in our camp of what I consider to be pretty seasoned hunters made a comment about me "over processing" this deer. While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.

When the game warden informed me he was giving me the double citation I was stunned and said "Wow! How much does that cost?" He replied, "I don't know, but its not in my budget". I agreed with that statement. I didn't budget for this either.

Again, nothing against officers who are doing what they are paid to do. I just wish I had a more positive experience to report on.

I shot her from this stand high up in a native pecan. It really is a great set up that provided me a doe last year as well.

My main lesson outside of the obvious one? I will be a lot less chatty next time.

Attachment 124557
Sorry for your trouble Steven. I can personally vouch for the fact that you are truly "one of the good guys". Good luck with this.
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #196
Raleigh
Ten Point
 
Raleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pearland TX
Default

Congrats on the doe!

Bummer on the tickets but the law is the law.

Good luck on the rest of the season.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #197
Heath
Pope & Young
 
Heath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people
Default

I hunted with a girl on Sunday night who's dad is a game warden. After hearing of Steven's ticket we called him to get some clarification on the "over processed" rule since we travel with deer in the ice chest home from our hunting locations to our local processors. He sounded shocked that the ticket was given.

At Steven's expense, I learned a law that I have never heard of before.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #198
flyby
Ten Point
 
flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Hamilton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
What a bummer! Hate to hear this about good folks making an honest mistake and getting hammered. There sure are a lot of thieves and dirtbags out there that could better utilize the time these folks spent with yall.
Very true, however, in addition to dealing with "dirtbags" we have to deal with domestic violence, accidents, DWI's, people with mental problems, help the fire department, etc. If everyone obeyed traffic laws and drove safely we could quit writing tickets and accident reports and have more time to deal with "dirtbags". Problem is, the biggest citizen complaint where I work is traffic. The same people who complain about it also complain on us when they get the ticket for us doing the job they want us to do.

I'm sure the GW is the same way. If the "upstanding" and "ethical" hunters would abide by all the laws the GW's would have more time to deal with the more serious violations. Not saying anyone on here is unethical, we are all ignorant on some laws, I'm sure. Just saying if the GW wasn't finding as many minor violations as he does he would probably be able to spend more time looking for the major violations.

Good thread. Thanks for your input as to why you left it open Michael.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #199
RedRaiderInAustin
Six Point
 
RedRaiderInAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Milam County
Default

From my summer of lurking and few weeks signed on here, I have come to believe that a well-intentioned, disciplined hunter made a mistake and got two tickets. I'm sorry to hear that it happened but I would expect a ticket in that situation. I'm certain it won't happen to him again.

As for discretion on the GW's part, how about this totally hypothetical scenario? I hunt in an AR county. If I shoot a 12 1/2" inside spread buck, do I deserve a warning because it didn't meet the criteria even though I truly believed it was 13"? I've heard you can get a warning for it but I would expect repercussions. I would be sad but I would know it was my own mistake and I have to take ownership of that. What if I didn't know about the restriction?

I think the tug-of-war (I prefer to think of it as discussion or debate) is healthy in this thread.
RedRaiderInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #200
erikm1981
Ten Point
 
erikm1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aledo, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Its just like the swine flu scares. The people who screamed about school being let out and having to spend the week with their kids would be the first ones in line to hire an attorney if the school district DIDNT shut down.
REALLY? The Swine Flu...You've got about ten post on this one thread and haven't really said anything.
erikm1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com