Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #51
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Wow....sorry to hear this. Congrats on the doe even though now you probably wish you had never shot her!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Raw venison

Here's a quote from the TPWD website on processing game in camp.

Processing Carcass in Camp

"You are allowed to prepare for immediate consumption and eat all or a part of a properly tagged wildlife resource while in camp; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts."

You should have politely taken the bag and started eating it raw. That would have qualified for "immediate consumption". Tell them you sleep in your truck which is also your camp.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #53
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Legdog
I don't know the fine but ask for a deferal. This will only go on record with TP&W.Everytime a GW stops you it will come up and they'll probably look even harder. If they look hard enough they can get you on something.
(Example) How many of ya’ll have a written consent from the owner of your lease. How many of ya’ll carry this with you when your in the field.
Got our neigbhors for that last year. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WRITTEN DOCUMENT ON HAND EVEN IF YOU HAVE A LEASE OR PERMISSION TO HUNT A PROPERTY!
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #54
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post

"You are allowed to prepare for immediate consumption and eat all or a part of a properly tagged wildlife resource while in camp; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts."

You should have politely taken the bag and started eating it raw. That would have qualified for "immediate consumption". Tell them you sleep in your truck which is also your camp.
Your on to something.I eat part of a quarter in camp.What do I do with the rest Due to the fact there is also a law on wasting game.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #55
Legdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Wow....sorry to hear this. Congrats on the doe even though now you probably wish you had never shot her!
Exactly!

I'm not the kind of guy to dwell on stuff like this so this will be my only day to get the "whine" out of my system.

Another look at my stand... I consider a good tree stand that provides me and my kids with some table fare to be a near religious experience. Hunting is a past time that is meaningful to me on many levels from fellowship to adventure. Oh well...

Name:  my stand 2.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  92.1 KB

I really should be working on reporting the events of the rest of the weekend.
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #56
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Valid point guys. I did call warden about deer, but had he come out to investigate and then write me a ticket for not having written consent I would say, " I should have never"
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #57
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post

Yeah I saw that but it still doesn't say can't cut it beyond quartering.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #58
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

I could be wrong but I think you only need a Landowner Consent document if hunting in Harris County.

From TPWD website.

It is against the law to:

hunt wild animals or wild birds or target shoot on land in HARRIS County owned by another without having in immediate possession written consent of the landowner of that land. The written consent must contain the hunter's name, identify the land on which hunting or target shooting is permitted, be signed by the landowner or legal agent for the owner, and must show the address and phone number of the person signing consent. The owner or agent and any person hunting or target shooting with the owner or agent on public or private shooting ranges are exempt from this special regulation.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #59
Roamer
Ten Point

Well technically you are guilty and you will learn from this and not make the same mistake twice. Also make sure you get the complete date punched out on the tag. Because some of them are really picky about that.

You only process what you are going to eat in camp. Everything else you just quarter and keep proof of sex.

Sounds like a bummer end to a good weekend. I hope the rest of your season is better.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #60
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Legdog you got a raw deal......Not cool GW's!

A little "educational talk" would have accomplished the same thing.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #61
elkhunter4035
Spike

Peyton, how is getting tickets for breaking laws a "raw deal?" There were two violations of game laws and two tickets were given. You are confusing unpleasant to the person receiving the tickets with unfair and unjustified. Think about someone showing up at your job with excuses, and telling you how to do your job when they have never been in your shoes. How "COOL" would that be, Peyton?

I just wish someone would say " I messed up and got a ticket" instead of "I didn't know" and "ticky tacky" and I should have got a warning. The "bad guys" have the same stories. How is the GW supposed to read your mind to know if was really an accident. I'm not implying that it wasn't an accident or that there was any bad intentions there, but did the GW's know you or your character? They just did their job, and tickets are not a good part of their jobs. Bottom line is that it is your responsibility to know the law.
elkhunter4035 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #62
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter4035 View Post
Peyton, how is getting tickets for breaking laws a "raw deal?" There were two violations of game laws and two tickets were given. You are confusing unpleasant to the person receiving the tickets with unfair and unjustified. Think about someone showing up at your job with excuses, and telling you how to do your job when they have never been in your shoes. How "COOL" would that be, Peyton?

I just wish someone would say " I messed up and got a ticket" instead of "I didn't know" and "ticky tacky" and I should have got a warning. The "bad guys" have the same stories. How is the GW supposed to read your mind to know if was really an accident. I'm not implying that it wasn't an accident or that there was any bad intentions there, but did the GW's know you or your character? They just did their job, and tickets are not a good part of their jobs. Bottom line is that it is your responsibility to know the law.
The doe's head was in the truck "tagged".

It would have been VERY easy to just stick the meat in an ice chest, not tag the head (as well as make sure it was in the truck with the meat), driven home... never freely mentioning it was there to the officer when they got stopped for a license plate issue. But that is what you do when there are bad intentions.

Yes, I agree it is our responsibility to know the law, but out of everyone in that camp....so far I have only heard one that knew that law.....and I'm not sure he saw what we were doing at the time.

Bottom line.... the tagged head was in the truck. To me.... that doesn't look like someone who is intentionally breaking the law. To me (again this is just me), that would be someone you would see is clearly not a threat to the law.

Maybe you missed this part

Quote:
While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.
Nothing was hidden here. It was all out in the open...seriously, does this appear to be a case of something that wasn't an accident?

I do feel partly to blame on the processing. For once, I wanted to learn how to skin and do some processing. I had never wanted to....or maybe I should say never had to do this stuff for myself before. I felt it was time to learn how to handle deer for instances when I didn't have my boys with me. Steven was nice enough to hand me a knife, knowing I was going to be slow and ask a bazillion questions.

Do "I" feel it was a "raw deal"....I have to say yes. If circumstances were different, he lied, didn't have the tagged head, and didn't full on disclose he had the meat at the very beginning of all this....then yes....accident would seriously be questioned.

Just don't how that could be in question with this circumstance

It is my hope that the judge who reviews this case will be able to see that bad intentions had absolutely no part to play in any of this.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #63
Fireman13
Six Point

WOW..

Sorry it happened to you. The DPS Officer and THe GW's are doing their jobs. Like stated here before "It shinks but you did break the law." If they saw the TBH sticker and knew of the website then how would it look for that to be plastered on here " got away with 3 warnings and they are not doing their job" . Investigate the quartering issue and when go to court explain it to the judge. It could have been alot worse on you... Take it on the chin and call it a learning experience. You might even make the Game Warden Field notes!!!!
Fireman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #64
txbowhunter6
Eight Point

Hunt In: where ever

man i thought i smelled bocon . there is always going to be a law or something that your not going toing to know about that they will get you on every time.
txbowhunter6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #65
aironeout
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen,and DeWitt Co.

Sorry to hear about ya'lls misfortunes but laws are laws and we pay to have them enforced. I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws. If you are not going to play by the laws then be prepared to pay the piper. Sorry again but it does sound a bit hypocritical.

>E
aironeout is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #66
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Took me awhile to find it, but here it is. I'll admit I didn't know this either.

Sec. 42.018. TAG TO BE ATTACHED TO DEER. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (d) or commission rule, no person may possess the carcass of a deer before the carcass has been finally processed at a final destination unless there is attached to the carcass a properly executed deer tag from a hunting license provided by the department and issued to the person who killed the deer.

(b) A tag is properly executed only when the month and the date of the kill are cut out and the tag is filled out to show the place the deer to which the tag is attached was killed and to show other information required on the tag by the commission.

(c) If the deer's head is severed from the carcass, the properly executed tag must remain with the carcass.

(d) A wildlife resource document completed by the person who killed the deer must accompany the head or other part of the deer not accompanied by a tag if at any time before the carcass is finally processed the head or other part of the deer no longer accompanies the carcass. If a portion of the carcass is divided among persons and separated and the person who killed the deer retains a portion of the carcass, that person shall retain the tag with the portion of the carcass retained by that person. A wildlife resource document shall be retained with the head of a deer that is not kept with the carcass until the head is delivered to the owner after taxidermy or, if not treated by a taxidermist, until delivered to a final destination.

(e) Final processing for a deer carcass may occur only at a final destination.

(f) This section does not prohibit a person before delivering a deer carcass to a final destination from removing and preparing a part of the deer if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #67
Legdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironeout View Post
Sorry to hear about ya'lls misfortunes but laws are laws and we pay to have them enforced. I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws. If you are not going to play by the laws then be prepared to pay the piper. Sorry again but it does sound a bit hypocritical.

>E
Let me be clear.

Rules\laws are important and I'm thankful for the game warden doing his job.

Did I break the law? Yes!

Did Mary Bone or Ben Stovall break the law? No!

Did I have malicious intent? No!

Do I think I did anything even remotely worth a fine of $500? (or more) No!

Do I have a right to talk about it and share my misfortune? Yes!

Should I be glad I got cited? No!

Could the officers have given me a warning and earned a measure of respect? Yes!

Am I surprised? No... season just opened... these guys understand the woods are full of hunters again and they are prepared to do their job (as they should be).

Will I look at game wardens differently going forward? Ugh. This is the one that gets me. I'm sure these are nice guys but I also think that once the DPS officer called them, one ticket was already ready to be written. The fact that the second officer (the one who was not writing me up) was worried about how this would look on the internet let me know they are concerned about their image. They could have easily got the message across with a warning and saved the citations for the "bad guys". It was completely obvious to all there was not more than one deer in that baggie.

I'm sure many are thinking "dumb ace got what he deserved" and you have a right to feel that way. I made a mistake. No question or excuses. Hopefully the judge will see that there was no malicious intent and that my deer was being treated with the utmost respect... properly tagged in the ear and the meat painstakenly cared for.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #68
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I don't want to get into the heads of the particular GW's, but having one of my best friends as one, I've kinda gotten to understand a little about the different mindsets....Lots of war stories and amazing how similar situations get handled differently. Those that actually hunt and been around the block before they got the title seem to be a bit more understanding. Sorry, but some are just by the book and will hand them out at will.

Here you have two obvious good natured and polite guys, who's intentions clearly were not done w/ malice to gain an extra tag, etc. Personally, I think a single GW would have handled it differently and I do see a shift in how GW's act when more than one are present. If one was senior, it kinda puts both on the spot if that makes any sense or reasoning behind why I think the fines were issued. Would pics of them going up on this site help move it along due to exposure of being lenient...maybe. I have a wing hunt planned tomorrow w/ amigo gw and will pass this along to get his $0.02.

Leggy, I'm good for $10 to go towards this good story & (sorry) funny thread. I do think some will get an education due to your misfortune.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #69
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
Let me be clear.

Rules\laws are important and I'm thankful for the game warden doing his job.

Did I break the law? Yes!

Did Mary Bone or Ben Stovall break the law? No!

Did I have malicious intent? No!

Do I think I did anything even remotely worth a fine of $500? (or more) No!

Do I have a right to talk about it and share my misfortune? Yes!

Should I be glad I got cited? No!

Could the officers have given me a warning and earned a measure of respect? Yes!

Am I surprised? No... season just opened... these guys understand the woods are full of hunters again and they are prepared to do their job (as they should be).

Will I look at game wardens differently going forward? Ugh. This is the one that gets me. I'm sure these are nice guys but I also think that once the DPS officer called them, one ticket was already ready to be written. The fact that the second officer (the one who was not writing me up) was worried about how this would look on the internet let me know they are concerned about their image. They could have easily got the message across with a warning and saved the citations for the "bad guys". It was completely obvious to all there was not more than one deer in that baggie.

I'm sure many are thinking "dumb ace got what he deserved" and you have a right to feel that way. I made a mistake. No question or excuses. Hopefully the judge will see that there was no malicious intent and that my deer was being treated with the utmost respect... properly tagged in the ear and the meat painstakenly cared for.
First of all I never mentioned Mary or Ben in my comments and second we will have to agree to disagree.

As far as the Game Wardens not writing a ticked because the DPS officer was going to give one means nothing they are two totally differend divisions of enforcement. They each had a job to do and they did it.

I didn't know that citations should be only given to "bad guys" even if "good guys" break the same law. How is a Game Warden supposed to differentiate between the two.

Once again I'm sorry that you got cited and good luck with the judge.

>E
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #70
Legdog
Pope & Young

Quote:

I didn't know that citations should be only given to "bad guys" even if "good guys" break the same law. How is a Game Warden supposed to differentiate between the two.

>E
Because it was obvious there were not multiple deer in the baggie. And it was obvious that the deer was proplerly tagged. I have no use for a doe's head in Dallas. I could of easily left it behind if I intended to break the law. Instead I had it with me to prove the sex of my deer. If you asked that warden today if he thought I was maliciously breaking our game laws I'm confident he'd say "no".

Yes, its that simple.

As for being hypocritical, I don't think Michael has ever fined anyone $500 for unintentionally breaking a forum rule.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #71
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

Sorry this happened, but the good side of this is now all of us on the green screen know to double check all paper work and reread all the rules so it does not happen to us...
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #72
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:

As for being hypocritical, I don't think Michael has ever fined anyone $500 for unintentionally breaking a forum rule.
You are exactly right with this comment because there are no fines just infractions.

But.........

The point of my hypocritical comment has no bearing on a "fine". It is the perception that the rules or laws should have been "bent" in this case when it is pretty cut and dried that the game laws of the state were clearly broken.

Once again. Have a great day Steve.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #73
Legdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are exactly right with this comment because there are no fines just infractions.

But.........

The point of my hypocritical comment has no bearing on a "fine". It is the perception that the rules or laws should have been "bent" in this case when it is pretty cut and dried that the game laws of the state were clearly broken.

Once again. Have a great day Steve.
So the trooper "bent" the law by giving Michael a warning for no plate on his trailer? Do you also feel the trooper acted improperly in doing so?

I hope you have a great day as well. I'm trying!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #74
Stupid
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Why all the hype? Law was broken, got a ticket , pay the fine, suck it up, move on!!!!! There's more hunting to be done. Sure they could have handled it differenty but let's don't forget yall decided to make it a cinamark moment so that is what you got --- plenty of pics!!!!!
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #75
Devin
Administrator

Dangit, I was all ready to dogpile on and laugh at the outlaws, but.... dang, that stinks, Steven.

While I understand letter of the law, officer's are allowed to use their individual discretion as it should be. The officer's choice to give 2 citations in this instance was not only in my opinion poor judgment, but would also raise my concern over their ability to use discretion in the future. For example, now if I saw a lease member intentionally violating a game law, I would be concerned that I might be cited for something I'm not aware of, nor intended to violate if I were to summon a game warden.

Instead of taking this opportunity to point out the mistake Steven made while bolstering support for their duties with more guys on "their side" and more eyes in the field to help with their efforts, they chose the "letter of the law" and probably lost two... and with this thread many more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #76
Hillary
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria & Bandera County

Steven, I'm not laughing at your story anymore.

This really has me split too, It is just hard for me to believe the story played out like it did. When you were telling me the story, I was shocked that it ended with you getting 2 tickets...

I hate for Law Enforcement Officers to get a bad wrap, but this was pretty ridiculous. And yes, I am going to stick with ridiculous, I know they were doing their job, and blah blah about the character of the person, doesn't matter. What about the character of the GW??! Kinda BS they took that route.... they brought on the bad wrap themselves.

I have respect for ALL law enforcement officers (even the idiot that pulled me over on SUNDAY for TEXTING in a SCHOOL ZONE... ugh, don't get me started)

But, in short, it sucks. They threw the book at you, and hit you right in the face.

I never knew about the processing law; unfortunately I do now.

Sorry Bud. I'll buy you a beer/case of Vodka soon/6 lunch shots in Mexico soon.
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #77
wyliescrib
Ten Point

Hunt In: medina, uvalde, edwards counties

i cant figure out what law has been broken... i mean are you not allowed to "condence" the ribs and backbone in order for it to fit in an ice chest.. there has got to be a little COMMON SENCE here.. if i bone out the back bone and ribs before taking it home does that mean i broke the law? or do i not get it?
wyliescrib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #78
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Man Steve, this sucks! I'd be leary of shooting another deer wondering if i would miss something, not fill out a piece of paper properly, misspell a word to change meaning on permission slip, etc. if i were you. What started out as a decent traffic stop turned into a PR nightmare on this website. GW have more power than just about any other LEO in the state, and they don't play around. Good luck with your hearing
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #79
Farmdog
Ten Point

God bless Game Wardens for the work they do I am glad I wasnt there..yall would have had to wire my jaw shut to keep me from mouthing off, but I also agree waving a camera at them is probably not something to do. I think we all need to start a "Pay Legdogs ticket for him" and send 1 dollar each to Mary and then make T Shirts and caps and just take it as a lesson learned. I didnt know about a logbook thing either. I understand Agdog is an outlaw too. Welcome to the jungle Guys!
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #80
Ben
Eight Point

Hate to hear it.

I thought I wanted to be a GW for many years. But... I'd probably wouldn't write enough tickets.

I think you are right on the money with the way you'll probably handle these situations in the future. Keeping deer parts out of sight and keeping my mouth shut is how I will handle any run ins with a LEO after reading this thread.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #81
aironeout
Pope & Young

Quote:
So the trooper "bent" the law by giving Michael a warning for no plate on his trailer? Do you also feel the trooper acted improperly in doing so?

I hope you have a great day as well. I'm trying!
Maybe he did, but it is strictly his interpretation. Did he act improperly? That is for his superior to decide. Not me.

The fact is that according to the "story" 3 laws were broken. 1 pertaining to the traffic/motor vehicle laws involving one individual and 2 pertaining to game laws involving another individual. Each dealing with different types of law enforcement. One branch of enforcement chose to deal with it one way and the other branch chose to deal with it in another. Was one right and the other wrong? No way!!! But some think they are. Sorry, If you don't like the results don't break the law and then there is no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid View Post
Why all the hype? Law was broken, got a ticket , pay the fine, suck it up, move on!!!!! There's more hunting to be done. Sure they could have handled it differenty but let's don't forget yall decided to make it a cinamark moment so that is what you got --- plenty of pics!!!!!
Sometimes it's best to leave the camera in it's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Instead of taking this opportunity to point out the mistake Steven made while bolstering support for their duties with more guys on "their side" and more eyes in the field to help with their efforts, they chose the "letter of the law" and probably lost two... and with this thread many more.
Guess I'm in the minority because I'm still on "Their side".
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #82
CP75
Four Point

Regarding the "$500" fine. Y'all need to realize that most class c offenses in TX are punishable by a fine of $25-$500; including traffic, game, penal, and all other violations. 500 is the max. Most JPs are not going to assess a $500 fine. You're probably looking at approx. $150. Realize that this can change from precinct to precinct in the same county.
CP75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #83
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

This reminds my of my brothers mishap a few years ago. He shot a turkey at his lease, loaded it up and took it to the cabin(which is on the lease, that sits several miles from any main road/highway). While he's sitting by the fire drinking some coffee and waiting for his father in-law, the GW drives up. does the small talk with my brother for awhile, then asks about his turkey. After he gets the story of how the hunt went and what not the GW pulls out his ticket book, and writes my brother 2 tickets. First one for not tagging the animal, and the second for not filling out the backside of the license. My brother told the GW he had no intention of not tagging the animal, or trying to sneak it out of the lease. He even filled out the tag, the license, and tagged the bird while the GW was standing there.Whenhe talked to the Judge, the judge still made him pay the fine, but told him to just make the monthly payment. My brother sent I think $5 a month till the ticket was payed. The judge said doesn't matter how much you pay each month, just don't miss a payment. Might be the to do it Leggy!
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #84
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdog View Post
I think we all need to start a "Pay Legdogs ticket for him" and send 1 dollar each to Mary and then make T Shirts and caps and just take it as a lesson learned.

I'm in and will PM Mary...We certainly need a clever t-shirt & cap design for this one!! Got you covered Steven!!

GW amigo called me just now and I gave this tbh scenario. He said he personally would not have issued citations under the circumstances as I explained them w/ the tagged head and pleasant demeanor.

We both agreed the final destination and having to be in quarters is not very hunter friendly.....especially for those who hunt far from home and do not get go that often. Can you imagine if you have tagged out on does?? Would need a 2nd trailer for ice chests.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #85
glassjeg6
Eight Point

Quote:

>E
I would totally agree.First the filling out of the back of the license has been in effect for quite some time,so if you didn't do it then pay the fine and move along.If the trooper that wrote the warning ticket was so cool then why did he call the game wardens? He apparently thought something was going on.Anyone can stand out and shoot the bull and be cool and they have seen it all and may have thrown up a red flag.My cousin is a game warden and if you knew half of what they go through and the pay they receive you might think a little differently.I find it somewhat funny that what i consider the TBH click (like the popular people in school) are the majority of the ones defending someone breaking game laws whether intentional or not.All law enforcement officers are different just like you and i and some will give you a warning and some will write a ticket for everything.It doesn't matter if someone was trying to learn to clean a deer or not.Laws were broken and you got tickets for it and now you say you look at game wardens in a different light when they are just doing a job . If you looked at all law enforcement that stopped you and didn't give you a warning in a different way you must not care for any of them. My .02
glassjeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #86
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I can see the ticket for not filling out the log on the back, that's almost 5 years old now and they issued A LOT of warnings the 1st couple years. The other one I really don't get, given that all the meat was still there and you guys were up front with them.

It happens.

That trooper appears to be the one that worked the wreck me and some buddies were in right there 3 years ago. Nice guy.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #87
Pablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shaws Bend and Fayette Co

Sorry you dudes got busted. No ill will was there but yup they got you.

My definition of quarter is front shoulders, rear hind quarters then backstrap and miscellaneous rib and neck trimmings.

I do fill out the back of the license for place of kill and so on but . . . .

For me anyway this thread brought up a great point..... while the $$$ was paid, I do not have a written document that indicates that I and my affilliates do have permission to be on that property and hunt. Great point. That also would go for the family land as I personally do not own that land.

Last edited by Pablo; 10-05-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #88
glassjeg6
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
This reminds my of my brothers mishap a few years ago. He shot a turkey at his lease, loaded it up and took it to the cabin(which is on the lease, that sits several miles from any main road/highway). While he's sitting by the fire drinking some coffee and waiting for his father in-law, the GW drives up. does the small talk with my brother for awhile, then asks about his turkey. After he gets the story of how the hunt went and what not the GW pulls out his ticket book, and writes my brother 2 tickets. First one for not tagging the animal, and the second for not filling out the backside of the license. My brother told the GW he had no intention of not tagging the animal, or trying to sneak it out of the lease. He even filled out the tag, the license, and tagged the bird while the GW was standing there.Whenhe talked to the Judge, the judge still made him pay the fine, but told him to just make the monthly payment. My brother sent I think $5 a month till the ticket was payed. The judge said doesn't matter how much you pay each month, just don't miss a payment. Might be the to do it Leggy!
So if someone gets caught with a game animal not tagged when the game warden shows up it is okay to fill out the license then? Everyone knows you are supposed to tag the animal in the field.If you don"t you deserve what you get.
glassjeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #89
DDP
Eight Point

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. As far as the GW giving a citation or not it is not for the GW to decide whether a persons intention were to break the law or not. The GW's only job is to inforce the game laws and clearly 2 laws were brpken whether intentional or not. It is the judges job to determine intent and assess a fine accordingly. If the GW had not issued a citation then he would not be doing his job. I think the reason the game logs are viewed by the GW's sp seriously is that if they are not filled out poperly that a person could take more Bucks than they are allowed later on if they do not fill it out immidiately.
DDP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #90
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Leggy, I'm good for $10 to go towards this good story & (sorry) funny thread. I do think some will get an education due to your misfortune.
I'm also good for $10. Legdog provided a lesson for others and should not have to pay for it all.

Can someone set up a fund?

Sorry for being late, my PC is dragging this morning.

Last edited by Dru; 10-05-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #91
Chipper
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle county

I always have a difficult time understanding why people find it so hard to take responsibilty in situations like this. Laws were broken, you were caught, accept it and move on. Doesn't matter if you knew you were breaking a law or not, it is our responsibility to know the law, not the LEO's responsibility to interpret if we knew it or not.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #92
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I have several GW buddies with whom I am able to spend a good deal of time talking about their "war stories" and lives as a GW. Through them, I have learned that the practice of working with other LE such as DPS is extremely common. Obviously, DPS has much more opportunity to call their TPWD counterparts to the scene of a possible infraction. Being that it was opening weekend of bow season and I-20 being a major artery for returning hunters, this was going to happen to someone at least once and possibly multiple times.

The License log hasn't been around long but is now the most common citation issued by a GW. The quartering/final destination law has been around for a long time.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #93
Stupid
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
I'm also good for $10. Legdog provided a lesson for others and should not have to pay for it all.

Can someone set up a fund?

Sorry for being late, my PC is dragging this morning.

I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 in a 55. You're lesson today is don't speed when there is a posted speed limit. I hope my lesson has helped others.

Can someone set up a fund for me?
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #94
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I can see the ticket for not filling out the log on the back, that's almost 5 years old now and they issued A LOT of warnings the 1st couple years. The other one I really don't get, given that all the meat was still there and you guys were up front with them.

It happens.

That trooper appears to be the one that worked the wreck me and some buddies were in right there 3 years ago. Nice guy.
x10 but I can say I had no idea about the quartering issue either. We always debone our mule deer before coming back from west texas to save on room. Had we ever been checked we would have been ticketed too I am sure.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. The game violations were rules that have been on the book for many years and as Dale pointed out on the log issue at first they did issue many warnings.

I can see the reason the tropper gave Michael a warning over being given a ticket. He had no idea the plate was gone until the trooper stopped him. Had it been Michael's registration or his inspection sticker been out for several months he would have gotten a ticket and not just a warning. I have gotten warning for my trailer lights before that were not working yet solely because of the ground. Have even had trooper follow me some distance to verify story once they started to work.

What I think sucks about the whole issue is that everyone is loosing trust in the guys hired to enforce our game laws and here everyone is loosing faith in them for doing their job. I have had several bad run ins with one GW who is now retied. I have made no secret of that and even though he was an *** it never made me less appreciative of the job they do or make me less inclined to go to one for assistance.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #95
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post

Sec. 42.018. TAG TO BE ATTACHED TO DEER.

(e) Final processing for a deer carcass may occur only at a final destination.

(f) This section does not prohibit a person before delivering a deer carcass to a final destination from removing and preparing a part of the deer if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed.
Quote:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat.../hunt/carcass/
You are allowed to prepare for immediate consumption and eat all or a part of a properly tagged wildlife resource while in camp; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts.

Line of defense for the processing!
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #96
Legdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I always have a difficult time understanding why people find it so hard to take responsibilty in situations like this. Laws were broken, you were caught, accept it and move on. Doesn't matter if you knew you were breaking a law or not, it is our responsibility to know the law, not the LEO's responsibility to interpret if we knew it or not.
I accept that I made an error and broke not one but two laws.

I take complete responsibility for my oversight.

I hoped I made that clear already.

Obviously the game warden had a choice to cite me or issue a warning. Its no big deal.

Thanks for the offers to help pay the fine. The sentiment is appreciated but will not be necessary.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #97
Xspot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quanah

Quote:
I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 in a 55. You're lesson today is don't speed when there is a posted speed limit. I hope my lesson has helped others.

I hear a dog whining!
Xspot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #98
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:

When the posted speed limit went from 80 to 55 were you uncertain of your responsibility slow down and stop endangering the lives of your fellow motorist?

Put me down for $20, I’ll cover Stupid’s part.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #99
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws.

>E
It's apples and oranges, but since you drew the (bad) analogy...

For every infraction that's doled out, there are many, many more threads or posts that are simply deleted. In many cases, warnings are given instead of infractions. In most cases, there is some judgement of intent or past history in determining whether an infraction is given, or the level of the infraction. I'm certain I've exercised poor judgement a time or two, however.

As I stated before, the officers certainly weren't wrong. I think they could have used better judgement, perhaps by only giving one infraction, or possibly none, but that's just my opinion, and I don't think I'm wrong for voicing it here. That said, I don't think they're bad guys or mean spirited at all for issuing the citations.

Michael

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #100
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws.

>E
It's apples and oranges, but since you drew the (bad) analogy...

For every infraction that's doled out, there are many, many more threads or posts that are simply deleted. In many cases, warnings are given instead of infractions. In most cases, there is some judgement of intent or past history in determining whether an infraction is given, or the level of the infraction. I'm certain I've exercised poor judgement a time or two, however.

As I stated before, the officers certainly weren't wrong. I think they could have used better judgement, perhaps by only giving one infraction, or possibly none, but that's just my opinion, and I don't think I'm wrong for voicing it here. That said, I don't think they're bad guys or mean spirited at all for issuing the citations.

Michael

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top