Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #401
gmj
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills county

What a difference 24hrs can make. I feel like I was never sick today. Strange virus that had me a little worried.
gmj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #402
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Sooooo many more tests, soooooo many more positives, death #s continue to fall...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exact conversation wife and I had at dinner. No problem finding how many more tests were given and how many new cases but you have to dig a little to find the current death count.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #403
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Nice! That seems fast, how much time passed between symptoms and all clear?
18 days since I got sick. Got rough about halfway through.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #404
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Congrats man and anytime you want to have a cold beer let me know! Glad your able to get back to me.

Maybe we can talk about any openings yall have on that bad *** lease
I dont have the slightest clue what youre talking about.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #405
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
18 days since I got sick. Got rough about halfway through.
Glad you are feeling better.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #406
JMKro
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

I have a feeling I'm a member of the Covid Club, I just haven't gotten confirmation yet. One of my coworkers texted me Saturday morning and said he woke up with a fever, a headache, body aches, & a cough. We went to lunch together on Friday (in his truck), so I was kind of like, "Yeah, that's probably not good." Fast forward to yesterday evening, and I had a fever of 102. My temperature was around 99 this morning, but I checked it again this afternoon and it was 100. He got tested on Saturday, but hasn't gotten the results back yet. I would have to assume that if he tests positive, then I have it. I'm getting tested tomorrow morning, but I'm assuming it will probably be next week before I know for sure. I'm acting as if I have it though, so pretty much stuck in the bedroom with a full spread of vitamins, medicines, & hydration.

And just as a heads up, my Dad said he read a few years ago where someone had been recommended these medicines by a nurse to help shorten the duration of flu-like symptoms. At least from what the nurse said, these medicines worked better than what was typically prescribed for the flu. Not sure if that's true, but worth a shot.
Attached Images

JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #407
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
And just as a heads up, my Dad said he read a few years ago where someone had been recommended these medicines by a nurse to help shorten the duration of flu-like symptoms. At least from what the nurse said, these medicines worked better than what was typically prescribed for the flu. Not sure if that's true, but worth a shot.
I take that Boiron product on a regular basis every Flu season & have yet to catch it...little expensive but got a good track record here.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #408
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I take that Boiron product on a regular basis every Flu season & have yet to catch it...little expensive but got a good track record here.
Good to know. Hey, if something helps, it's worth the money.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #409
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

I had very mild symptoms (below/less than the recommended minimums) a little over a week ago. Went to the local test site to get tested near Cypress. They said it would be 3-5 calendar days for results and now we are well over a week and nothing. I made about 12 calls between yesterday and today, all I got was they will call you. One lady at Harris County Health admitted it took over two weeks for her mother to get her results.

Now I sit here with absolutely no symptoms, trying to do the responsible thing and self isolate, but this is getting ridiculous.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #410
roysmoke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
I have a feeling I'm a member of the Covid Club, I just haven't gotten confirmation yet. One of my coworkers texted me Saturday morning and said he woke up with a fever, a headache, body aches, & a cough. We went to lunch together on Friday (in his truck), so I was kind of like, "Yeah, that's probably not good." Fast forward to yesterday evening, and I had a fever of 102. My temperature was around 99 this morning, but I checked it again this afternoon and it was 100. He got tested on Saturday, but hasn't gotten the results back yet. I would have to assume that if he tests positive, then I have it. I'm getting tested tomorrow morning, but I'm assuming it will probably be next week before I know for sure. I'm acting as if I have it though, so pretty much stuck in the bedroom with a full spread of vitamins, medicines, & hydration.

Oscillococcinum is great stuff. However, my wife is a nurse and I heard her talking to her best friend (another nurse practitioner) and they were saying Elderberry supplements can make things worse with COVID. I am not the expert here but my wife is pretty sharp and she was warning against it.
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #411
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
I had very mild symptoms (below/less than the recommended minimums) a little over a week ago. Went to the local test site to get tested near Cypress. They said it would be 3-5 calendar days for results and now we are well over a week and nothing. I made about 12 calls between yesterday and today, all I got was they will call you. One lady at Harris County Health admitted it took over two weeks for her mother to get her results.

Now I sit here with absolutely no symptoms, trying to do the responsible thing and self isolate, but this is getting ridiculous.
Hence me saying our health care system is terrible at handling this. And why I did the rapid tests. Drove a little over an hour each way to get to the place just to not have to wait. Worth it.

Hope everybody heals up quickly!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #412
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post

Interesting you say this.

Did you pay to get tested?? Wife just read me an article on fraudulent testing so not sure if it's only those who pay and/or those scamming govt funds??
Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #413
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmoke View Post
Oscillococcinum is great stuff. However, my wife is a nurse and I heard her talking to her best friend (another nurse practitioner) and they were saying Elderberry supplements can make things worse with COVID. I am not the expert here but my wife is pretty sharp and she was warning against it.
Interesting.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #414
JMKro
Six Point

My coworker tested positive, so I'm sure I'm not too far behind. I'm getting tested this morning, so we'll see what happens.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #415
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Second test was negative as well. Clear for duty with zero restrictions!
Did your employer require a negative test to go back to work? The reason I'm asking is the virus can stay in your body for several days after you are no longer contagious. All the medical people I have talked to say they only require 10 to 14 days with the last 3 with no signs or fever while not taking medicine.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #416
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Deerplanter is correct, I had o e guy still testing pos after 3 rounds of quarantine, he was out 10 weeks before he got a neg and clear to work
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #417
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

One of my kids test came back today . She is negative. Still waiting on 3 more tests.
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #418
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:

Everything I've read and been told by a doc is do NOT take elderberry for COVID. The cytokine storm that COVID causes is basically like an auto-immune response. Elderberry makes it worse.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #419
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Everything I've read and been told by a doc is do NOT take elderberry for COVID. The cytokine storm that COVID causes is basically like an auto-immune response. Elderberry makes it worse.
Well that answers that. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #420
Randy M
Eight Point

I have symptoms and had a virtual appt this morning. Doc said it sounds like covid so I'm getting tested tomorrow.
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #421
clayree
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
I havent had it because I wash my hands
You're not serious, are you?
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #422
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Well that answers that. Thanks for the information.
From my understanding too on Elderberry. The retired flight surgeon in Medina county says the high dose melatonin divided into 4 dosages (like 20mg x4) helps with the inflammation response. Supposedly 10mg x 4 helps.

Hey, who knows.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #423
jakemoorman
Nubbin' Buck

I work in EMS and we were told not to give fluid boluses. I transported a guy who was sick as a dog. Hope yall are doing ok
jakemoorman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #424
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Rough stuff for sure. Im on day 11.
21st I felt a bit off after morning coffee, fever throughout the day
22nd to 24th, high fever, vomiting, bad body aches, diarrhea non stop every 20 to 30 minutes around the clock.
25th fever went away and was dealing with a really bad headache and badly dehydrated, diarrhea has slowed down.
26th til today and I still have diarrhea.

Doc said the gastric distress has become a pretty common denominator,
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #425
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemoorman View Post
I work in EMS and we were told not to give fluid boluses. I transported a guy who was sick as a dog. Hope yall are doing ok

What is the reason for not giving fluids? Im a medic and am very curious about that one.

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #426
Tbar
Ten Point

I have had an odd cough on and off for the last 7-10 days. No other symptoms other than being a little tired.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #427
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt, Tx

I tested negative but still don't feel great and my stomach has been jacked up for 5 days. Non stop issues. Great weight loss program though!
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #428
JMKro
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
I have had an odd cough on and off for the last 7-10 days. No other symptoms other than being a little tired.
Pretty much the same for me. I had a pretty high fever Monday evening, but since then my temperature has either been normal, or just slightly elevated (99-100). Sounds like that's not much compared to what some people have dealt with.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #429
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
Rough stuff for sure. Im on day 11.
21st I felt a bit off after morning coffee, fever throughout the day
22nd to 24th, high fever, vomiting, bad body aches, diarrhea non stop every 20 to 30 minutes around the clock.
25th fever went away and was dealing with a really bad headache and badly dehydrated, diarrhea has slowed down.
26th til today and I still have diarrhea.

Doc said the gastric distress has become a pretty common denominator,

Interesting

We had a pretty good stomach bug back in early March
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #430
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Sounds like the hoarding of toilet paper wasnt as goofy as we thought! Hope yall are back to 100% soon.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #431
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I just read thru this whole thread... Hadn't opened the thread because up to now had not been directly affected... Wife tested positive yesterday... I'm waiting on my test results (24 hour test)... She has mild symptoms and is an OR nurse and best she can recall exposure was late last week...

I've ordered the magic elixir ingredients for delivery tomorrow. Will start my wife on them immediately upon arrival, and me too if my test is positive...

The thing I got from this thread is that this stuff has a very broad spectrum of symptoms and vary from asymptomatic to very severe... Pretty squirrelly bug!

Hope everyone recovers just fine!

Matt, haven't seen where you posted how your wife is doing yet? She negative yet? Sure hope so.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #432
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

My brother was in direct contact with someone apparently on Monday who had it, he has down syndrome and is immuno-compromised so my mom is a little worried..... I didn't read through this entire thread, but can someone list the over the counter medication that seems to be the best at helping with the symptoms (just in case it's needed)
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #433
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
My brother was in direct contact with someone apparently on Monday who had it, he has down syndrome and is immuno-compromised so my mom is a little worried..... I didn't read through this entire thread, but can someone list the over the counter medication that seems to be the best at helping with the symptoms (just in case it's needed)

It sounds like Zinc 25mg at a time, and tonic syrup, or tonic water containing quinine...have been yielded the quickest and best results.

Hope all of you guys get over it quickly.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #434
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

Quote:
It sounds like Zinc 25mg at a time, and tonic syrup, or tonic water containing quinine...have been yielded the quickest and best results.

Hope all of you guys get over it quickly.

thanks
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #435
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Will start my wife on them immediately upon arrival, and me too if my test is positive...
Don't wait Charlie...I'm taking them daily (in low doses) as a preventative. The one thing I learned about this cootie is that there is no real real way to hide from it unless you want to live in a bubble.

The one thing the dr's noticed early on about the zinc / quinine is that while you may likely catch C19, this & the other suggested items help keep it from taking hold of the host if currently taking as a preventative. No reason to wait IMO.

I would suggest any & everyone take this easy step simply to avoid going through what is almost surely to be a mild case, but it still sucks & sure wish I knew about it back in March.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #436
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Don't wait Charlie...I'm taking them daily (in low doses) as a preventative. The one thing I learned about this cootie is that there is no real real way to hide from it unless you want to live in a bubble.

The one thing the dr's noticed early on about the zinc / quinine is that while you may likely catch C19, this & the other suggested items help keep it from taking hold of the host if currently taking as a preventative. No reason to wait IMO.

I would suggest any & everyone take this easy step simply to avoid going through what is almost surely to be a mild case, but it still sucks & sure wish I knew about it back in March.
What dosage are you taking zinc and that guapo stuff in? How do you take the guapo?
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #437
stryker93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe & Frio Cty

What about taking quinine pills? Is that sufficient?
stryker93 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #438
Ginja Ninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

I feel like Houston is trending towards herd immunity. It's crazy here.
Ginja Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #439
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Oh I will. I ordered enough ingredients to cover both of us for about 6 weeks... all off Amazon and 1 day delivery via Prime...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #440
STGS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The doctor is in.... this stuff is pretty tasty. I should note, I like Gin and Tonics a lot.

Name:  AC111DE3-7DAD-444A-A096-B8BE5EAF76AC.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  E33FCBBC-D761-4709-A9BB-36C1BE0C5625.jpeg
Views: 464
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  723C478E-A5F9-446F-B801-1B2E6C914114.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  94.7 KB
STGS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #441
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGS View Post
The doctor is in.... this stuff is pretty tasty. I should note, I like Gin and Tonics a lot.
lol your liver's in trouble now, probably should double your supply so you don't use it all up.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #442
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
What dosage are you taking zinc and that guapo stuff in? How do you take the guapo?
25mg of zinc daily which I have been taking for as long as I can remember...now the quinine is a bit of a mystery & maybe others can shed some light, but if you do a quick search it references malaria treatments. Guapo gets it's quinine from cinchona bark & it's recipe is 1/2oz but I have zero clue how many MG is in that or in a glass of tonic water for that matter.

I originally ran across the Guapo alternative when I posted there was no tonic water to be found months ago & have both now. Lately, I've just been taking my 25mg with a glass of tonic water & have been saving the Guapo, but have more coming next week sometime. It's really sweet so you can take it anyway you want including adding it as a sweetener to coffee or unsweet tea which I was doing. However, I think STGS has it right & am going to have to use it properly & have a trip to the hooch store in my future.

If I got sick, then likely 2x-3x what's currently being consumed.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:30 PM   #443
MAP
Eight Point

Hunt In: Live Oak, Jim Wells, Dimmit Counties

are ya'll coughing up mucus or just a hard dry cough? Also are you sleeping a lot from having no energy or motivation?
MAP is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #444
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
What is the reason for not giving fluids? Im a medic and am very curious about that one.

Covid patients are extremely sensitive to fluid overload. Dont want to make their lungs or kidneys work any harder than they already are.
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #445
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Covid patients are extremely sensitive to fluid overload. Dont want to make their lungs or kidneys work any harder than they already are.

What about in a sepsis situation?

We basically ceased all non essential aerosol generating procedures, nebs, CPAP etc and no intubation only King airways. We just got video laryngoscopy on the truck so now we can intubating again. But we have made no changes to fluid administration protocols.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #446
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Default Whos had Covid?

Quote:
What about in a sepsis situation?

We basically ceased all non essential aerosol generating procedures, nebs, CPAP etc and no intubation only King airways. We just got video laryngoscopy on the truck so now we can intubating again. But we have made no changes to fluid administration protocols.

Well for in hospital providers, they actually recommend pressors. Im not EMS (Im ER Trauma) so I dont know what theyre recommending for yall instead... It likely varies from one medical director to another but if I had to guess, maybe rate controlled fluids until you can get to the hospital? I just know that is at least partial reasoning. Prehospital care is much more difficult. Gotta do what ya gotta do to get them to is alive!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #447
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
are ya'll coughing up mucus or just a hard dry cough? Also are you sleeping a lot from having no energy or motivation?
I never had a productive cough, but a constant dry cough that got much worse when my fever spiked. I was sleeping 20 hours a day with absolutely no energy at all.
ACCURACYINC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #448
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
Well for in hospital providers, they actually recommend pressors. Im not EMS (Im ER Trauma) so I dont know what theyre recommending for yall instead... It likely varies from one medical director to another but if I had to guess, maybe rate controlled fluids until you can get to the hospital? I just know that is at least partial reasoning. Prehospital care is much more difficult. Gotta do what ya gotta do to get them to is alive!

Yah, Ill just treat as any other septic / hypotensive etc. I just didnt know if there was something special yall knew about fluid admin for suspected Covid. We typically rank someone up prior to pressor use at my agency. Stay safe out there!

Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #449
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Stay safe out there!

You too!
Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #450
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGS View Post

Attachment 1009176

Attachment 1009177

Attachment 1009178
Youve never been quite right anyway

Hope yall stay healthy