Outfitter Questions - Bear Specific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outfitter Questions - Bear Specific

I'm in the early stages of planning a bear hunt. I just spoke with an outfitter, long story but I didn't feel completely prepared for the conversation (my fault not his). I know we will speak again and I will more than likely do a hunt with him if he can get me a tag (again long story), so my question is what are good questions to ask outfitters to know as much as you can? I asked the basics of cost and what that includes, hunt conditions (stand, times, etc.) and shot opportunity percentage. The outfitter was great and I think he was thorough but what else should I ask?

Experience of the guides....might not be as big a deal for bear but my last guided elk hunt; the cook who was 21 and grew up in Virginia told me that he was going to guide on the next trip. He definitely did not look the part. He told me that he had never rode a horse prior to that fall and had never taken an elk. I understand that you have to start somewhere but when spending a small fortune for a hunt.... I want someone who knows their stuff and isn't learning alongside me. My guide on the hunt was extremely knowledgeable and was great company. He told me he was a forest service horse packer before becoming a guide. We were hunting in the same area where he had worked. (Scapegoat Wilderness). He knew stuff about the country that was truly impressive.

Comment

So here are the main questions:
      • Experience of guide
      • Cost and what that includes
      • Hunt conditions
      • Shot opportunity

Anything else from your experiences?

Comment

Tell them to walk you through how a typical hunt goes, from showing up there, to the day you get your meat back. If they can't give you detailed explanation, or if their "typical" story takes less than a minute to get through, or if you ask about something specific, and they can't give you a specific answer, that is concerning.

Ask for references. Call those references, ask them how their hunt went. If anything they say doesn't match what the outfitter said, ask the outfitter. Ask who your guide will be, specifically. Find out typical shot distance. And read everything you sign. You may waive your right to get your money back if something (Like a forest fire), should happen.

Comment

What state are you hunting in? What type of bear?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Tell them to walk you through how a typical hunt goes, from showing up there, to the day you get your meat back. If they can't give you detailed explanation, or if their "typical" story takes less than a minute to get through, or if you ask about something specific, and they can't give you a specific answer, that is concerning.

Ask for references. Call those references, ask them how their hunt went. If anything they say doesn't match what the outfitter said, ask the outfitter. Ask who your guide will be, specifically. Find out typical shot distance. And read everything you sign. You may waive your right to get your money back if something (Like a forest fire), should happen.
            Thanks, those are all good points and what I wanted to make sure I didn't miss. The outfitter brought most of that up yesterday when I talked with him and he was very up front. He talked about number of blinds he sets up to make sure all winds are covered, how he walks you in, how the timing of hunts will depend on tc pics, etc., shots should all be under 25 yds, how the tracking would work and how late it could be with daylight until ~10, size of bears (avg is 200 lbs and can go above 400) and more.

A little more background, my college roommates and their family have been using this guy/outfitter for their annual fishing trip forever and love him. I will be tagging along on their fishing trip with a focus on bear hunting as opposed to fishing. They don't have any specifics on hunting other than seeing other successful hunters in camp but they rave about how great of a guy he is in general. That is part of the long story from the first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas1980 View Post
              What state are you hunting in? What type of bear?
              This will be in Ontario for black bear. I have considered and still may do other black bear hunts as well. I have been considering Idaho but haven't gotten too far in to the research. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Comment

keep had a thread/post about questions to ask outfitters, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

One thing I remember was on his list would be to ask if they will have any special guests or celebrity hunters in camp? (You don't want this.)

I would also ask about their baiting system. What are they feeding the bears? Personally unless the outfitter has a stellar reputation, I wouldn't go unless they are actually putting out large amounts of bait (corn with grease/oil in a 55 gallon drum.) If they are just popping up some popcorn and putting out a few other things I don't think you will have as many bears.

Is this a fall hunt? Fall hunts from what I understand can be tough (lots more food available than a spring hunt.)

Comment

Also, are you after just any bear or do you want to kill a big bear?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                    keep had a thread/post about questions to ask outfitters, but for the life of me I cannot find it.

One thing I remember was on his list would be to ask if they will have any special guests or celebrity hunters in camp? (You don't want this.)

I would also ask about their baiting system. What are they feeding the bears? Personally unless the outfitter has a stellar reputation, I wouldn't go unless they are actually putting out large amounts of bait (corn with grease/oil in a 55 gallon drum.) If they are just popping up some popcorn and putting out a few other things I don't think you will have as many bears.

Is this a fall hunt? Fall hunts from what I understand can be tough (lots more food available than a spring hunt.)
                    This will be a spring hunt. The outfitter discussed baiting and how/when they come to bait due to coming out of hibernation (he said they have to clear their system after hibernation before coming to bait), vegetation, rut, etc. He didn't mention what he baits with but while we were on the phone he did a quick look at how long he would be able to bait prior to the hunt (based on hibernation, accessibility with ice, etc.) and he was optimistic. He also discussed how the timing would be right for the best coat. My timing is dependent on when the group is going for their fishing trip but it looks like it lines up pretty good.

Obviously I want the biggest bear I can get but not being a "bear hunter", at least not yet, I probably won't be looking at a monster. The outfitter said if I just want a bear I'll get one the first couple of days. If I want a big bear (350-400 lb) it will obviously be tougher. He said his bears average about 200 lbs but they shoot some 400 lbers. I'm not sure how that would rank on the scale. Until I see some bears I won't even know how to judge their size. The only thing I have ever heard is that if there is a barrel you want them to be bigger than the barrel.
                    Last edited by cehorn; 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

If I were picking a new outfitter I would look at his success rate. How many hunters does he run through his camp, how many baits he runs, will you be hunting a fresh bait, and how many bears he kills and what size heads. Ask if he runs trail cameras. I always pick the first week in June for Spring Bear just because the rut will be underway and this is the best chance to see a big boar. Bottom line you want to go somewhere where you have lots of encounters and have plenty action.

Comment

Based on the info he gave you and the history with your friends I’d just book it and start watching videos. It sounds like he has a good operation. I would certainly inquire about food and lodging and come up with a plan for getting meat and hide and skull back home. You will see lots of bears and judging is tough, even with all the advise gleaned from guides, vids and TBH. Take you Thermacell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
                          Based on the info he gave you and the history with your friends I’d just book it and start watching videos. It sounds like he has a good operation. I would certainly inquire about food and lodging and come up with a plan for getting meat and hide and skull back home. You will see lots of bears and judging is tough, even with all the advise gleaned from guides, vids and TBH. Take you Thermacell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          This is pretty much where I'm at. At a minimum I'll spend some great time with old college roommates that I haven't seen too much over the last 10 years. I'll also get to fish some really cool country when I'm not hunting. I'm not sure on the regs but he said he had to get a tag for me. If he does that, I'm in.

He did say he didn't do a lot of spring bear hunting because it interferes with his fishing which is his big money maker in the spring. He does a lot of fall hunts so he is experienced. My spring bear hunt will be an exception since I'm going with a fishing group that goes a lot. Hopefully this will be a good thing in that I'll have access to all of his sites. It could be a negative in that he may not be fully prepared but from talking to him I don't think that will be the case.

Lodging will be cabins by the lake and food is bring your own. From what I understand, they group up into groups of 2-3 and everyone cooks one night. I think a lot of it is fish. I'm not too worried about that as they are regulars on this trip.

In the past, they have driven so that is what I'm planning on for this trip. would a 65 qt cooler and a 110 qt cooler be enough to get meat and hide back? He did mention a fee to get the hide back across the border but he said half the time they don't charge it and it is very minimal if they do.

With the trip being over a year away, I'm sure I will start other threads on what to take but Thermacell(s) will be on the list.

Comment

One thing I like to know is by chance if you tag out early what else is there to do. On my bear hunt we hunted coyotes and wolves to kill the extra time. Good luck on what you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by giorgini View Post
                              One thing I like to know is by chance if you tag out early what else is there to do. On my bear hunt we hunted coyotes and wolves to kill the extra time. Good luck on what you choose.
                              I would fish some since that is what the trip is about for everyone else,,, and drink...and it is legal there now lol...

But I will ask if there is anything else to hunt. His website doesn't discuss anything but bear and moose but you never know. Good question to add.
                              Last edited by cehorn; 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X