Alaskan Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan Recommendations

Ron and I are doing some research for our honeymoon in Alaska. We would be leaving July 19th. We are looking at resorts that offer several different adventures including salmon, trout, halibut, bear sighting, whale watching, etc. We plan on a week at the resort and a few days on our own in Anchorage.

Does anyone have experience with this? A resort you would recommend? Things we must do while there? Restaurants or must see in Anchorage? Tips you wish you knew before going?

All input is appreciated.

No help on the resort but you'll kick yourself if you don't make the trip to Denali.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Do a search on Alaska Threads on TBH

When my family went we rented a SUV and drove about 1,300 miles. Anchorage - Denali - Seward- Homer and back to Anchorage. No need IMO to use a resort unless you want to relax. No need for much of anything as you can sight see and hike nearly every place you go with no help from anyone.

I wouldn't stay in Anchorage JMO. And book your Denali bus tickets ASAP Do the full day trip.
      Last edited by RiverRat1; 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Do a search on Alaska Threads on TBH

When my family went we rented a SUV and drove about 1,300 miles. Anchorage - Denali - Seward- Homer and back to Anchorage. No need IMO to use a resort unless you want to relax. No need for much of anything as you can sight see and hike nearly every place you go with no help from anyone.

I wouldn't stay in Anchorage JMO. And book your Denali bus tickets ASAP Do the full day trip.
        I certainly understand that. I think after 6 months of wedding planning, we are looking to relax and leave the planning up to someone else. Just tell us when to show up. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
          No help on the resort but you'll kick yourself if you don't make the trip to Denali.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
          This. We did 2 weeks via RV and got to see most of south central Alaska. The biggest highlights of the trip for me were Denali and flying down to Lake Clarke. An overlooked gem that we discovered was exploring the valley leading into Whittier.

Comment

I hear you. It's really not hard to plan though. Hotel or B&B reservations are the hardest. Everything else is just there on side of the main road. We only planned Denali bus tour and everything else was on the drive. Nothings hidden and they have plenty of places to get info while your there.

I'd go elsewhere to just stay in a resort. It would be a huge waste doing that in Alaska.

Comment

We went with YMT tours and it was a blast. You can book excursions like Denali which was a blast. We went to homer and Juno also scagway but it was not the best. Ketchacan had lots of fishing and Sewart has some great glacier viewing and we saw lots of whales and wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We did a cruise there last year and then spent 3 days in Anchorage, drove up to Denali. Anchorage is ok but I would not stay there very long, most people we talked to said go to Fairbanks. Denali is a must see but go for a few days. schedule one of the early bus rides into Denali you can drive your car but only so far, buses take you in deep and you can see all kinds of animals. I think a cruise is the way to go we went one way from Vancouver to Seward and stopped at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and then Seward. Inside Passage so some times we where 100 yards from shore.

We saw a lot of wildlife from the ship, whales, killer whales, seals, sea otters, grizzly bears, big horn sheep, deer, it was wild.

Comment

I recommend eating at Gwennie's in Anchorage. Great food and cool history hanging on the walls!

Comment

Originally posted by dezigirl78 View Post
                    Ron and I are doing some research for our honeymoon in Alaska. We would be leaving July 19th. We are looking at resorts that offer several different adventures including salmon, trout, halibut, bear sighting, whale watching, etc. We plan on a week at the resort and a few days on our own in Anchorage.

Does anyone have experience with this? A resort you would recommend? Things we must do while there? Restaurants or must see in Anchorage? Tips you wish you knew before going?

All input is appreciated.
                    Alyeska resort is really nice and then drive down the Kenai peinsula for sight seeing.

Comment

congratulations on your wedding. I live in Palmer, just north of Anchorage. Alaska is HUGE, so anything you want to do is possible, but depends on your budget. As I usually recommend, get an RV and head out. But if you want to charter for halibut/salmon and not have to fly all over. Your best bet is to come to Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Homer and get a charter out of there for fishing. Salmon will be starting then on the inland streams as well.

Comment

This guy will treat you right and is a Texan.

Comment

Working...
                        X