Wildlife Exempt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    since 2014, I bought it in july of 2017. It was just an old rundown property some sons inherited but lived out of state so it sat vacant for a long time. Nobody paid attention to it so it slipped out of ag, now the tax office says it will be a 4 yr application process and on the 5th yr it can get approved. seems flat crazy red tape to me.

Hate to say it, but they are right. I’m the ag appraiser for our county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It just seems to be rediculous way of money grabbing to me. Either your eligible for ag exemption or not, what does 4 yrs of applying prove? Bad thing is I didn’t get it done last yr so just prolonged it further

Comment

It just seems to be rediculous way of money grabbing to me. Either your eligible for ag exemption or not, what does 4 yrs of applying prove? Bad thing is I didn’t get it done last yr so just prolonged it further

It proves that your actually working agriculturally on the land and not just seeking an immediate exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by phibob808 View Post
          It proves that your actually working agriculturally on the land and not just seeking an immediate exemption.

Not to totally derail the thread but the problem with that is if you are needing to replace fence, purchase cattle etc but still spending 2-3k on taxes it kind of is a catch 22 is the way I’m looking at it. Budgets only allow for so much expenditures and I’ll waste 10k plus in taxes by the time I’m actually considered ag exempt again. Just stinks, I knew it was out when I purchased it but did not know it would take 5 yrs to get it back. My fault

Comment

For the guys with the smaller acreage.

How do you come up with new forms of management? As in, you put bird houses up one year to check the shelter box, what do you do the next year? Keep putting up more bird and bat houses (I get that you can clean them out yearly) ?

Comment

Originally posted by phibob808 View Post
              How long has the land been out of AG?

It is still in Ag designation. Has been for decades.
              It is cattle grazing, and not crops though, so I don’t think CRP applies in this situation.

Comment

file:///C:/Users/cunderwood/Downloads/96-354%20(1).pdf

This is a link to a PDF but it has some good info for the Guidelines for Wildlife Management. Working on submitting my report for 2018 now.

Comment

At least they didn't back charge you for the previous 5 years. They can say since your didn't use it for ag production for 2 of the previous 5 years, you owe the difference between ag valuation and non-ag valuation for the most recent 5 years.

I helped my landowner get the 1-D-1. The hang up for her was the county required at least 12 acres but each of her 10 lots was only 11.11 acres. The biologist told her to form a "trust" combining all of the lots under one name. Forming the trust was literally putting on the 1-D-1 application that all of the lots were working together and since they were all touching each other it was easily approved.

Yes Plateau will help with all of the paper work and provide advice, but if you can do the paper work, the TPWD biologist does everything for free. Why wouldn't you want to contact a biologist for wildlife management suggestions?

We developed a 2 acre food plot and fenced it to keep the hogs out. The fence is a 10 year activity so I don't need to do anything for 10 years in that category. Water quality improvement (building a stock tank, creating water ways, ect.) are also 10-20 year activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    At least they didn't back charge you for the previous 5 years. They can say since your didn't use it for ag production for 2 of the previous 5 years, you owe the difference between ag valuation and non-ag valuation for the most recent 5 years.

I helped my landowner get the 1-D-1. The hang up for her was the county required at least 12 acres but each of her 10 lots was only 11.11 acres. The biologist told her to form a "trust" combining all of the lots under one name. Forming the trust was literally putting on the 1-D-1 application that all of the lots were working together and since they were all touching each other it was easily approved.

Yes Plateau will help with all of the paper work and provide advice, but if you can do the paper work, the TPWD biologist does everything for free. Why wouldn't you want to contact a biologist for wildlife management suggestions?

We developed a 2 acre food plot and fenced it to keep the hogs out. The fence is a 10 year activity so I don't need to do anything for 10 years in that category. Water quality improvement (building a stock tank, creating water ways, ect.) are also 10-20 year activities.
                    Thats only when they change the use of the property, such as subdividing the acreage into lots and putting in a subdivision.

Comment

Working...
                    X