Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Deertropolis243
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF
Default Squirrel Hunting 2018-19

This year I plan on spending a lot of time in the Pineywoods and will be squirrel hunting this year. Looking forward to it and hope everybody is as well.

I have not seen any squirrel Forums so I decided to start one.

It dont matter where you shoot em post em up.
Or you can say where it dont matter.
This year its raining squirrels.
Deertropolis243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
locolobo
Six Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertropolis243 View Post
This year I plan on spending a lot of time in the Pineywoods and will be squirrel hunting this year. Looking forward to it and hope everybody is as well.

I have not seen any squirrel Forums so I decided to start one.

It dont matter where you shoot em post em up.
Or you can say where it dont matter.
This year its raining squirrels.
Have been shooting them all year. If I don't keep 'em thinned out I don't get any fruit from my trees. Bagged about 50 so far but the real fun will begin as soon as the leaves get thinned out some. Don't eat the little flea/tick infested rascals in the summer though.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I'll be taking them in Irving. It's about the only hunting I've done as of late.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

I promised my son we would get after them this fall around the house on some land that I have access to for dove and squirrel hunting. We have a season up here (Hunt county) so we can't shoot them until October.

At our deer lease we have a few squirrels and there's no season there so he has been after them around the camphouse when we go down there.

Next time we go squirrel hunting I'll post up our results on this thread.
BradBryant1000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Me and my granddaughter will be after them at Lavon when it cools down some.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Used to love it but havent been in probably 30 years! I recently retired so i plan to this year. My lease doesn't have any so i'll being trying the public land. Should be fun and im really looking forward to it!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
big papa
Ten Point

Love this thread!
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

I need a new place to hunt them this year! I've been going to the SHNF, but the area I have been going to the past few years hasn't been producing like years before.
mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I will be hunting them in Nacogdoches when the season opens this year. I haven't specifically hunted for squirrels before so am excited to do a squirrel only trip for the first time.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

With the hog bounty and heat I've been focused on the night-time hog hunting and haven't been after the tree rats. My CZ 452 and Remington 513S are whining all the time. "When do I get to go?" is all I hear when I walk by the safe.

Here is some stimulus to get the blood pumping--Used a Remington Model 33 NRA model with peep sights--a single shot. True nostalgia for me.

Last edited by dustoffer; 09-14-2018 at 10:53 AM.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
huntandfishguy6
Four Point

I do love to squirrel hunt. I haven't had time to shoot my bow, so October will be spent looking up in the tree tops. San Augustine county.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF and Centerville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev002 View Post
I need a new place to hunt them this year! I've been going to the SHNF, but the area I have been going to the past few years hasn't been producing like years before.
I was covered up with them in the two spots i hunted at SHNF
Italianxbowuser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianxbowuser View Post

Care to share where you were??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev002 View Post
Care to share where you were??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM Sent
Old 09-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Were you just squirrel hunting or bowhunting? I'm anxious to get out there and chase them but at the same time dont want to mess anybodys deer hunt up. Is that generally a problem out there? Are small game hunters "frowned" upon? I guess i shouldnt worry about it to much but i've always had a deer lease and pretty specific spots to hunt. I recently retired so now have the time to spend enjoying the woods. Killing some bushytails will just be a bonus! Thanks for any thoughts
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Were you just squirrel hunting or bowhunting? I'm anxious to get out there and chase them but at the same time dont want to mess anybodys deer hunt up. Is that generally a problem out there? Are small game hunters "frowned" upon? I guess i shouldnt worry about it to much but i've always had a deer lease and pretty specific spots to hunt. I recently retired so now have the time to spend enjoying the woods. Killing some bushytails will just be a bonus! Thanks for any thoughts
They have ruined many of my deer and hogs hunts out there back when I used to hunt it...but I understand that is part of hunting in the National Forest. I am the minority and I'm sure most others you come across will let you know there thoughts verbally if you go stomping through their hunt looking for tree rats. Its sucks unfortunately.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Great thread idea. Thank you!
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #18
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
All hunters pay the same APH price to hunt there. The forest belongs to everyone, including non hunters. I once had a group of scouts pass by at 80yds during gun season. If you stay away from the main roads(like 1375) ,aren't afraid to outwalk the parking area hunters, and avoid the first two weeks of deer season you can usually have the place somewhat to yourself. A lot of guys bike in to get away from the crowds...it's a big place.

I had good success sticking to certain areas, and never needed to walk all around. Sit. Stay quiet. shoot the squirrel. repeat. I usually got enough in a 75yd radius. There was a lot, and clearly they were underhunted.
Obvioulsy, be respectful of others. If you see someone else hunting/in a tree Blaze Orange is required even for bowhunting, back away and go somewhere else.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #19
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
All hunters pay the same APH price to hunt there. The forest belongs to everyone, including non hunters. I once had a group of scouts pass by at 80yds during gun season. If you stay away from the main roads(like 1375) ,aren't afraid to outwalk the parking area hunters, and avoid the first two weeks of deer season you can usually have the place somewhat to yourself. A lot of guys bike in to get away from the crowds...it's a big place.

I had good success sticking to certain areas, and never needed to walk all around. Sit. Stay quiet. shoot the squirrel. repeat. I usually got enough in a 75yd radius. There was a lot, and clearly they were underhunted.
Obvioulsy, be respectful of others. If you see someone else hunting/in a tree Blaze Orange is required even for bowhunting, back away and go somewhere else.
I will probably stick to weekdays and see what happens. I definately dont mind getting off the beaten path. A bike might be a good idea! A little exercise and a hunt wouldnt be a bad day at all. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #20
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:

Mind if I ask where you are doing this in the SHNF? I have not had such luck in my dozen or so times out there. I will trade you information on where they aren't!
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #21
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I had a couple of squirrel dogs (border collies) when I was a kid. Trained them by playing tug-of-war with a squirrel skin, and dragging it around for them to find. They always got excited to see me wearing camo or holding a gun. Was nothing to bag a limit of squirrels in a short time and more fun than sitting and waiting. Good times!!
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Mind if I ask where you are doing this in the SHNF? I have not had such luck in my dozen or so times out there. I will trade you information on where they aren't!
Took me about 3 years to figure out the forest and kill deer consistently. I found the squirrel spots during that process. There is a SHNF thread every year on here in public hunting section which was also very helpful

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #23
TXbowman
Six Point

I've got some at my lease and have wanted to shoot a few but don't know anything about cooking them.
TXbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #24
LouietheLurker
Six Point

I grew up squirrel hunting. I was raised by folks from the “Great Depression” they said if it weren’t for squirrel, rabbit and greens they would have staved. Show me a good squirrel hunter... I’ll show you a great hunter and woodsman.
LouietheLurker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #25
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Believe I'll be doing some this year as well. The rancher cleared a chunk of creek bottom leaving the oaks and pecans and allowing me to move through what was impassable.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #26
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Last year. First hunt with the new Reign 6.
Attached Images

BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top