Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leggett
Default Private Pilots License

Really toying with the idea of becoming a private pilot, my dad was always pretty big in planes and I've always loved to fly. I'm sure there are several pilots on here, I don't know if I am better off trying to find an independent instructor or go with a typical flight school. I've heard from several people in the past that lots of flight instructors will help you get licensed for the cost of their fuel simply because it gives them someone to fly with and builds their hours as well. Of course I don't know anyone like this personally.

After the storm in the gulf settles down I think I may take a discovery flight out of the airport here in Conroe and see what I think.

Any input from someone who has finished their license or is currently working towards it would be appreciated.

Ken
Luckyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

It's on my short to do list!
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
johnpaul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Beaumont, La Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyhunter View Post
Really toying with the idea of becoming a private pilot, my dad was always pretty big in planes and I've always loved to fly. I'm sure there are several pilots on here, I don't know if I am better off trying to find an independent instructor or go with a typical flight school. I've heard from several people in the past that lots of flight instructors will help you get licensed for the cost of their fuel simply because it gives them someone to fly with and builds their hours as well. Of course I don't know anyone like this personally.

After the storm in the gulf settles down I think I may take a discovery flight out of the airport here in Conroe and see what I think.

Any input from someone who has finished their license or is currently working towards it would be appreciated.

Ken
My Fiancee just started hers in Beaumont. She is using a private instructor and is really starting to enjoy it. She was a little nervous at first but she has only flown for about 8 hours and said it easier and easier each time she goes. I'm not sure how much fuel they burn but the flying instruction is $55/hour and plane rental is $150/hour.
johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
johnpaul
Ten Point

As soon as she is licensed and we muster up the money to buy a plane I plan on getting mine as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
My Fiancee just started hers in Beaumont. She is using a private instructor and is really starting to enjoy it. She was a little nervous at first but she has only flown for about 8 hours and said it easier and easier each time she goes. I'm not sure how much fuel they burn but the flying instruction is $55/hour and plane rental is $150/hour.
Can you give us some details.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
LROSE
Ten Point

A Buddy in Katy area just finished his pilot license and is now working on the next level of license. He ended up finding an instructor at the local airport there in Katy and got it all done there. He joined the local pilot club there and they had a fleet of planes they could sign up and take out. He ended up buying a plane with a couple of the pilots in the club and they have it in the hangar at the airport. He loves it and now flies to clients all over the state.
LROSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
johnpaul
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolfj View Post
Can you give us some details.
Details on? The instructors name?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
keestan31
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Tx

Quote:

Ken
One thing I always tell people is to make sure you have the time to dedicate to it. It is time consuming and can get a little costly but if you only fly 1-2 hours a week it can really drag out especially when weather starts getting involved.
keestan31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
keestan31
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
Details on? The instructors name?
I didn't know anyone was still doing training out of the Beaumont airport if you don't mind sharing the information on the instructor. I use KUSA at Jack Brooks
keestan31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
johnpaul
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by keestan31 View Post
I didn't know anyone was still doing training out of the Beaumont airport if you don't mind sharing the information on the instructor. I use KUSA at Jack Brooks
Cory Hays is the instructors name
Old 09-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

this TBH'er was a member for only a short time and hasn't posted since 2011

2006 Columbia 400, they are made by Cessna now called Corvalis tt
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by keestan31 View Post
One thing I always tell people is to make sure you have the time to dedicate to it. It is time consuming and can get a little costly but if you only fly 1-2 hours a week it can really drag out especially when weather starts getting involved.

I will be doing my last half ironman (for a while) next month so that will free up lots of time for me. Hopefully I can log 4-6 hours a week, I currently train 16-20 so I'll still come out ahead.

I have thought a lot about purchasing a Cessna 150 or 172 if I can find one at the right price to save the money of renting, I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
I will be doing my last half ironman (for a while) next month so that will free up lots of time for me. Hopefully I can log 4-6 hours a week, I currently train 16-20 so I'll still come out ahead.

I have thought a lot about purchasing a Cessna 150 or 172 if I can find one at the right price to save the money of renting, I just haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
We have a lot in common. I've done several 'halves' plus a bunch of shorter distance tri's and I've been passionate about aviation for a long time. The link to all the private pilot threads above is good and educational reading. Take a look. I'll repeat what I say every time I see one of these threads and that is do not stop till you get an instrument rating!!! Beyond that I can elaborate ad nauseam.

I fly into KCXO all the time. Maybe our paths will cross.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
this TBH'er was a member for only a short time and hasn't posted since 2011

2006 Columbia 400, they are made by Cessna now called Corvalis tt
Looks like a guy I know, is his first name Rob ?
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
ptlmg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dolores, Colorado and New Braunfels, Texas

Started flying in 1978 and have never looked back. Its addictive. You'll love it.
ptlmg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
waterdog
Pope & Young

Airline Transport Pilot
Type Ratings: B737, BE400, CE500, DA10, DA20, LR-Jet, MU300
Single Engine Seaplane & Certified Flight Instructor
Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic with Inspection Authorization
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
Yes, Rob lives in South Lake and drives Ferrari race cars
Old 09-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #19
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Yes, Rob lives in South Lake and drives Ferrari race cars
He has lots of hobbies. Did he quit fishing?
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #20
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

My dad used to fly a lot. I remember him flying the family to Possum Kingdom lake to seee my grandparents. I’m not sure what kind of plane he had then, but I do remember his 172 and flying to New Mexico to elk hunt in his Cessna 210. He moved to Kerr county and got in on. Mooney for awhile before losing his license due to medical reasons.

I’m not much on flying, even commercial. The super cub flight in the NWT in 1995 was a little scary too. But, I survived.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #21
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
He has lots of hobbies. Did he quit fishing?
I have no clue ... Rob posted for about 6 months in 2012 ?? and never posted again
Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #22
lawdawg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cheapside/ Gonzales County

I finished my private pilot certificate in 2011. I started with a flight school but ended up buying my own plane (65 piper Cherokee) to train in once my instructor quit the flight school. Once you find a good instructor that you like, stick with them. Now I own a 64 Cessna 210. If you ever make it down to Port Lavaca, give me a ring and I’ll take you up for a quick flight. My good friend took me flying once and I was hooked. Pm me for my number. Good luck.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #23
fulldraw_529
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson Co.

I'm right up the road from you in edna. I've always been interested in flying and getting my pilots license. If you ever feel like taking someone up I might take you up on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
fulldraw_529 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #24
rbsears
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan Co

Got my private ticket in 2008. As others have said, get an instructor you like and feel comfortable with (and needs hours). Do it!
rbsears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #25
tvc184
Pope & Young

I got my private license from a local instructor. I liked it because I could go when I wanted... which was quite often.

It seemed to me that I had an easier time and less instruction needed because I flew several days a week. I probably averaged 4-6 lessons a week. Some people that used the same instructor maybe did 3-4 days a month. It seemed like the extra time between lessons didnít help them. I believe that it helped me to not have to catch back up after laying off several days. I did my solo about two and a half weeks after I started. After that I did my cross countries and night flights within about three more werks and I was ready for my check ride.

I know that everyone has a different financial situation and other obligations. If at all possible, my main recommendation would be to have the money needed ready to go and the time to get on it. I was working straight night shift back then and could literally go 7 days a week. I think it requires less training if a person doesnít drag it out over a long time and that saves money in the long run.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
We have a lot in common. I've done several 'halves' plus a bunch of shorter distance tri's and I've been passionate about aviation for a long time. The link to all the private pilot threads above is good and educational reading. Take a look. I'll repeat what I say every time I see one of these threads and that is do not stop till you get an instrument rating!!! Beyond that I can elaborate ad nauseam.

I fly into KCXO all the time. Maybe our paths will cross.
That's awesome!! I love the halves(Waco will be my 5th), I've done sprints, oly's, halves and a couple Full's and just feel its time to take a break and do something different for a while. I guess my passion for flying/airplanes came from my dad, he built the radio's for **** Rutan and Jeana Yeager's Voyager and was the one who took me up for the first time in a Champ. I've wanted to get my license ever since but with kids, bills, life etc just haven't brought it into reality yet.

Would love to sit and visit sometime when you come through, stay safe, Ken
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #27
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
According to the registration his name is not Rob.

Edit - looks like Blake knows him. Registration may be in another name!

Last edited by -HIC-; 09-14-2018 at 09:42 AM.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #28
-HIC-
Eight Point

Definitely continue on to get your instrument rating once you get your PP license. For those of you looking at planes, the 150/172's will be limited on your range/alternate airport flying IFR because they do not hold enough fuel. Just something to keep in mind. For example most 172's hold about 38 usable compared to 55ish in the 182.

Last edited by -HIC-; 09-14-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #29
Luckyhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
Definitely continue on to get your instrument rating once you get your PP license. For those of you looking at planes, the 150/172's will be limited on your range/alternate airport flying IFR because they do not hold enough fuel. Just something to keep in mind. For example most 172's hold about 38 usable compared to 55ish in the 182.
That's good info for sure, do you think the cost of a 150 vs 182 would be worth it though to get my IFR or would I be better off just renting a larger plane to get my rating?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #30
-HIC-
Eight Point

Quote:
That's good info for sure, do you think the cost of a 150 vs 182 would be worth it though to get my IFR or would I be better off just renting a larger plane to get my rating?
If we are strictly talking training the 172 is probably the most popular. The 150 has about half the range of the 172 and the 182 will add almost 300 miles depending on conditions, load, etc.

I think the decision would need to be made based on intended use after training. Just throwing out three models and something to consider when flying VFR.

I guess it all comes down to funds, like most things in life! That 400 pictured above will get you close to 270 mph over ground with around 1200 mile range on 100 gallons!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #31
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

My dad had lis license when i was younger. We crashed a plane on landing and scared us away from flying. I wish it hadn't and i might have worked towards a career in aviation. I still think about it a lot now and wish i was in the financial position to work towards a commercial license now that i have a degree. Doesn't look too possible with having a family to support and barely about to do that right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #32
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
According to the registration his name is not Rob.

Edit - looks like Blake knows him. Registration may be in another name!
According to FlightAware, Rob took ownership of that plane on 7-17-2010. The picture above is from around the same time frame. Plane was sold to a new owner on 9-16-2016.

I don’t know Rob personally, just PM’d him a few times when he was active on TBH. Since he was new to bowhunting (2011-2012) many of us reached out to support him and answer his questions.