Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #701
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Glad to hear of the progress, thank you Lord for the blessings. We are still united in prayer for Emmett and both of you, along with all the caretakers. Praying for continued progress and strength for you all. All this through our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #702
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Day 32 update. Every day we awake, there is a calendar in our room that we go to and scratch a day off. 76 more days till our little man gets to come home! Still seems like such a long ways away, but we're getting closer with each passing day. They tend to go by quicker when Emmett is doing well. Oh, speaking of which, guess who had another great day? That's right, Emmett! Emmett achieved a big milestone today, as he's officially off his TPN (extra nutrition), and his hydrocortisone! All that is remaining is his medication for the blood infection, which they have to continue for another 2 weeks for precautionary reasons. When his treatment is done, he'll be ready to have the picc line removed! Emmett's blood pressure and heart rate look great still, and he's now up to 18 ml of fortified milk. His oxygen needs are hanging around the mid 30%. We would like to see that number continue downwards over the next week, but it's not too concerning at this point.

For the bad news. I literally just got this news before posting, and had to add this paragraph. The leg that has the picc line in is starting to show some red streaking. They are going to monitor it closely, but hopefully they don't have to pull that line. Doesn't seem like a good situation, but we'll see. Praying they don't have to do this procedure on our boy for the 4th time.

A huge thank you to a very special family member of ours, Missy McCall, who designed a shirt for us to wear to show our support for Emmett! This was such an awesome gesture, and the shirts looks great. She's made them available to everyone for purchase, should you be so inclined. We forewarned her though, Emmett has A LOT of supporters!

I finally created a page for Emmett to hopefully make it easier for people to follow him. It's still in its infancy stage, and I'll continue to work on it. I didn't realize what a pain in the butt those were. The shop now button on the page will take you to Missy's post where you can get an Emmett Strong T shirt! Emmett has some of the best folks around supporting and praying for him. Krystal and I thank you all so much!

https://www.facebook.com/resilientemmett/

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #703
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Continued prayers for Emmett.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #704
Lefty5
Eight Point

Down on both knees sending prayers to to you and the wife and the little guy
Lefty5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #705
Killer Miller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sulphur Springs & Georgetown

More Prayers Sent!
Killer Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #706
uncle jesse
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette Co

Continued thoughts and prayers for Emmett!
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #707
fbchunter
Ten Point

Y’all are still in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all is well
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #708
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

I got behind again guys. Doubling up on updates. Thank you all for the continued prayers.

Day 33 update. Our day started as I imagine most every Americans did. A thought back 17 years ago to that awful day, reliving where you were and what your reaction was. Glad Emmett didn't have to see the pain and destruction mankind can cause that day. But if he had, he would have also seen a nation come together in prayer, and show just how great mankind can also be.

Emmett's streak of good health did not faulter with today. He continues to tolerate his full feeds well. Milk goes in, poop comes out. Doesn't get any better than that. The infectious control doctor finally came back with results of the sensitivity test of Emmett's fungal infection. They were able to take him off of the more harsh medication, and continue treatment with the more friendly medication. With Emmett's CPAP, they rotate between a full mask and prongs to make sure he doesn't have any skin break downs around his nose. Almost every time they switch to the prongs, Emmett sneezes! If you've never seen a 29 week old baby sneeze, you would be hard pressed to find something more cute than that.

There is still concern with the picc line. The vein housing the picc is still red and inflamed. The vein didn't seem to get worse today, so they are going to continue to monitor it. Emmett's oxygen requirements are still a little high for comfort, sitting around 40%. We really need to see that number come down.

As always, we want to thank you all for your support and prayers. T shirt sales have been through the roof. This is so awesome of you all. God has blessed with great friends and family to help see us through this tough time. He has also blessed us with a thriving baby boy!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #709
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Day 34 update. Pretty sure Emmett is telling God "thanks for the help, but I'll take it from here." Our little man continues to impress. Emmett put on 30 grams of weight today, jumping him up to 2 lbs 10 oz. He is getting noticeably bigger now, especially seen when holding him! The picc line is still in the same state. As long as it doesn't get worse, they will leave it be. As mentioned before, as soon as his treatment for the infection is over, we can remove the picc line for good.

The cardiologist came in today to discuss Emmett's echo that he had done this morning. Results were basically the same as before. Slight hypertrophy to go with a moderate - large open PDA. They are going to continue the course for now, allowing Emmett to keep gaining weight before trying to close the PDA again. Prayers helped close that PDA the first time, so I'll be queuing you all up when it comes time to close that PDA valve again!

We can't say it enough, so here goes again; thank you all for everything you've done, and for the continued thoughts and prayers! Krystal and I were talking today about the power of prayer, and how our prayers were continually answered for Emmett. God is great!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #710
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

We’ll keep sending em up for ya
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #711
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Great news! Knee mails sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #712
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

God bless you guys. I am praying for y'all.

#EmmettStrong
Neck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #713
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ozona

Thanks for the update. Praise God & Bless Lil Emmett
careybirdwell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #714
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Prayers continue for Emmett! LORD continue to Bless his parents, with patience and the strength and faith they need now.

Strengthen Emmett on a daily basis and give him going home strength with no need for help from the doctors. LORD, clear up all possibility of infections and let the good reports roll in.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #715
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Day 34 update. Pretty sure Emmett is telling God "thanks for the help, but I'll take it from here." Our little man continues to impress. Emmett put on 30 grams of weight today, jumping him up to 2 lbs 10 oz. He is getting noticeably bigger now, especially seen when holding him! The picc line is still in the same state. As long as it doesn't get worse, they will leave it be. As mentioned before, as soon as his treatment for the infection is over, we can remove the picc line for good.

The cardiologist came in today to discuss Emmett's echo that he had done this morning. Results were basically the same as before. Slight hypertrophy to go with a moderate - large open PDA. They are going to continue the course for now, allowing Emmett to keep gaining weight before trying to close the PDA again. Prayers helped close that PDA the first time, so I'll be queuing you all up when it comes time to close that PDA valve again!

We can't say it enough, so here goes again; thank you all for everything you've done, and for the continued thoughts and prayers! Krystal and I were talking today about the power of prayer, and how our prayers were continually answered for Emmett. God is great!

Outstanding news!!!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #716
Bisch
Pope & Young

I'll keep on praying for y'all!!!!

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #717
Wence
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co

Continued prayers for Emmett
Wence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #718
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

More prayers sent
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #719
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Continued prayers for Emmett and your family
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #720
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Up!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #721
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Great news and Prayers continuing.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #722
rvd
Ten Point

Evening prayers sent
Old 09-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #723
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Continued prayers.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #724
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Praying for your son.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #725
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Day 35 update. Our day started off with some disappointing news. Emmett's leg began swelling and turning red, so the decision was made to remove the picc line and replace it. Any time you have to sign a consent form acknowledging the risk associated with a procedure, it's concerning as parents. We've had to sign this form 4 times now. After a worry filled 2 hours, we finally got a call informing us the procedure was a success. We need 13 days out of this picc line, as he'll then be done with his medication and can have the picc line removed for good! With premature babies, you always have to add "barring no setbacks." In addition to the leg, Emmett's face also had a little fluid retention. This was really tough to see, and said to be likely caused from the CPAP mask. As the day went on, the swelling did go down in his face. Emmett is struggling still with his oxygen requirements, as he's stayed in the 40% range all day. Hopefully tomorrow is better!

Krystal and I wanted to mention again how great Emmett's healthcare team is here. Every nurse, RT, neonatal doctor, and other staff has made us feel completely comfortable with them caring for our little guy. When you're stressed about the health of your baby, having a top notch healthcare team gives you a peace of mind.

So we had encouragement from many folks to enter a photo of Emmett to a contest hosted by Texas A&M. Submit a photo of your future aggie, and the picture with the most votes wins! We figured this would be fun, and considering how many people are following and praying for Emmett, we may have a chance of winning! We're coming in the game a little late, but we might be able to make up the difference before it's over. If you have a second, vote for our little guy in the link below. We would appreciate it! ADMIN APPROVED.

https://wyng.io/NA8H2j

Thank you all for the continued thoughts, prayers and support.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #726
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Day 36 update. Another tally in the 'Good Day' column for us! Emmett looks so healthy. We feel like we can see his growth every day. Speaking of which, we are at 2 lbs 12 oz currently. 3 pounds is within arms reach now. Emmett's oxygen settings still remain a little higher than we would like to see, but it's keeping his O2 saturation in range so we'll tolerate it. Feeds are still going great, as Emmett was bumped up to 19 ml now and being fortified to 28 calories. Being a Friday, this means our little man is 5 weeks old now. Hard to believe we've been blessed as parents for that long.

So Emmett was able to "trick" his ride out today through a special gift from an extra special family member. Blankets are placed over the isolettes of babies to keep the inside dark and comfortable for them. I've mentioned in a previous post that the hospital provided a butterfly blanket for a cover, which I quickly axed and utilized an ATM blanket I had in lieu of the butterflies. The blanket was still too big and cumbersome, and all it took was for Doris Frits to hear this, and she went to work. I'll let the picture do the speaking here, but Krystal and I were so excited and thankful for this gift today! Best looking blanket on the floor.

Krystal and I are in shock over this photo contest I alluded to last night! Even with a two day head start, it only took two hours for you folks to boost Emmett all the way to first place! This is simply amazing you all, and put a smile on our face that showed bright all day. It just reaffirmed that Emmett has the best support cast that can be found. We can't thank you all enough!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #727
Crookhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

Keep up the fight Emmett!!! God bless you all, and may the Lord bestow his blessings on you all.

JR
Crookhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #728
rvd
Ten Point

Progress! Prayers continue
Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #729
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Now this is the way to start a day and a week! Praise God for this miracle unfolding right before our eyes on the Green Screen!! You go Emmett!!

Thank You Lord Jesus for this miracle! Thank You for putting all this together and we lift up Emmett and his mom and dad to You for comfort and strength that is beyond limits, strength that is only possible through You Lord. We ask You Lord, strengthen those tiny lungs that Emmett will be able to grow strong and take away the infection in his body. We look forward to seeing this young one grow up as a powerful testimony to You Lord. We love You and we give You all the honor, power and glory, in Your powerful name Lord Jesus we ask and pray, Amen.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #730
Killer Miller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sulphur Springs & Georgetown

More prayers!
Killer Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #731
Bisch
Pope & Young

More prayers up for Emmet!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #732
PecanBayouRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County & Schleicher County, TX & Kansas

Prayers continue up! Keep going Emmett!
PecanBayouRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #733
fbchunter
Ten Point

Amen!
Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #734
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Prayers up for more and more "Good Days"!
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #735
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Continued prayer
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #736
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Continued prayers! He's got my vote.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #737
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Praying
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #738
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Just got caught up. Great news. Still Praying
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #739
redneckmarine75
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

prayers up
redneckmarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #740
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Day 37 update. At 8:00 am the phone rang. I answered and heard Emmett's doctors' voice. These calls never bring good news, and caused for instant fear in me. Last time we recieved a call from the doctor, we were informed that Emmett had a serious blood infection. The doctor made sure to quickly inform me that Emmett was ok. Now I can breath. But what he said next left me stunned. The picc line was starting to turn red and inflamed, forcing them to pull it. Some of the longest tenured nurses there have never heard of a baby needing 4 picc lines, especially one his age.

As the medical team arrived at Emmett's door for rounds, the situation looked bleak. He still had 12 days remaining on his infection treatment, so the thought was to try a peripheral line first to see if it holds up a little better, or try the picc line yet again. The doctor said he would have a conversation with infectious disease to see about any alternatives, but it was unlikely. As the day went on, Krystal and I headed from Emmett's room to grab some things from the Ronald McDonald house. Someone called out to us as we were walking down the hall. It was Emmett's doctor, and judging from the smile on his face, we wanted to hear what he had to say. He excitedly informed us that the infectious control doctor approved the use of an oral treatment for his medication!! Krystal and I high fived (not sure where that came from, just spontaneously seemed like the thing to do), as this was the absolute best news we could have received from this!

We were also able to wean his oxygen requirements some today, dipping down to the mid 30% at several points. Emmett continues to grow impressively, adding a couple oz to a whopping 2 lb 14 oz. We expect to eclipse the 3 lb mark by Monday!

Overall, the day was about as good as it gets. No more IV or picc lines is a huge accomplishment. Your continued prayers and support of Emmett has brought him a long ways thus far. We're blessed parents, there is no other way to describe it. Thank you all.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #741
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Day 38 update. With today, we've hit our milestone of 30 weeks gestational age. This of course doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives us hope that we're behind the premature issues we've been combating. Mr Emmett had a great day again today. That never gets old saying! His milk feeds were bumped up to 20 ml. He continues to tolerate his feeds well, which is evident in his weight gains. Emmett is maintaining his O2 requirements in the mid 30% range still.

We had a discussion with the neonatologist today about Emmett's heart. There is still some uncertainty about what would be best to do regarding the PDA valve. This is a tough one to explain, but I'll try my best. There are thoughts that the hypertrophy may be related to a slightly narrowed pulmonary valve. One way to help this is to lower the heart rate so more blood flows into the left ventricle, thus pumping more volume through the pulmonary to help open it. As you know, Emmett's heart rate is already low due to the heart block. However, with the PDA valve being open, its allowing more blood to flow into the left ventricle, thus achieving the same desired effect. On the flip side, the open PDA is allowing oxygen rich blood to fall back in with oxygen poor blood. Emmett continued to tolerate the open PDA for now, so the plan is to leave it be.

Thank you all for the continued prayers and support. Its been so amazing to read all the posts of prayer and support from friends, family, and complete strangers on each update. Your support has helped us along immensely.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #742
rvd
Ten Point

Praise God! Prayer continues
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #743
bmiller
Six Point

Bless you and your family. Praying for you all.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #744
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Praise God for this report!! Go Emmett Go!!

Lord Jesus, THANK YOU for this MIGHTY WORK!! Thank You for allowing us to share in this little one's life! Colton, you sir are a super-hero yourself! What great write-ups whether good or bad news, they are delivered with such feeling and yet grace. Thank You Lord for giving the gift to Colton. Thank You Lord for this family. We ask Lord that You heal his heart next. Close this deformity and give his heart strength to continue to grow strong. Increase his lung capacity to the perfect condition. Thank You Jesus for all You are doing in this family. To our Father we pray through Your name Jesus, Amen.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #745
Bisch
Pope & Young

I keep praying every day!!!!! Iím glad to hear the latest reports, and pray things keep improving!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-19-2018, 12:47 AM   #746
Olympic Recurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County, Tx & Mason County, IL

More prayers up
Olympic Recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #747
fbchunter
Ten Point

Greatness. Thank you Lord for your supernatural ways. Amen
Old 09-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #748
sling shot
Eight Point

More prayers for Emmett.
sling shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #749
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Prayers Continuing!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #750
BowhunterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Glad that Emmett is progressing and growing well and that there have been many more good days lately. Continued prayers for Emmett and your family. He is a fighter for sure, he's gonna be the toughest, scrappiest kid around!
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top