Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #151
Pablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shaws Bend and Fayette Co

Age 20 while riding Honda 90 Scrambler on portion of my grandad's ranch where a turkey farm had been but was now deserted, I discovered in an instant that the top wire of a barbed wire fence had been left on a partially demo'd fence. Saw it too late. My neck went smack dab in the middle of 2 barbs spaced 8 " apart. Didn't break my neck or bleed out with a ripped jugular. Back then, Ed Simonini was a big necked linebacker for A&M. I had a neck that swelled up like him. Also had one heck of a triangular bruise from under the jaw to the chin, LOL. Good thing I was still muscled up from HS football.

My younger brother was on the back of that little motorcycle at the time and he said I had one crazee look on my face once we fell down to the ground.

No alcohol or drugs were involved . . .

Still trying to figure out why I'm still here on earth.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #152
deerplanter
Ten Point

Fractured skull in bar fight, I got three plates in my head now.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #153
Zeeter
Ten Point

Hunt In: ....down at the Neon Promise Land

Playing baseball in college I thought I was bullet proof and tough! Well me and some guys were drinking at a bowling alley that was on the wrong side of town but they had cheap drinks. Got in a little scuffle inside but thought it had calmed down.

When we left the four of us walked out to the truck to find about 17 mexican gangsters busting out the windows in my roommates truck then they surrounded us and the fight was on. All 4 of us were stabbed and one buddy was run over by a car. I was stabbed 3 times in the side and back and spent a couple days in the hospital. Nobody died thankfully but it was serious at the time.
Zeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #154
Spener54
Eight Point

Hunt In: Childress, Bristow OK

Fallujah 2004. If you have heard the stories or know anyone who was there you vaguely understand. Afghanistan 2008 stuck in a mountain pass for 3 days.
Spener54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #155
eltacs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where few men have gone, or are willing to go.

Had my rifle shot out of my hands while in the Marines.
I had the armorat take the front sight post off of it.

I keep it to remind me of what is important in life.
eltacs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #156
bowenarra
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipehunter View Post
Afghanistan, 2004. It is still difficult to put words to it.
Thanks for everything you've done for all of us!
bowenarra is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #157
eltacs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where few men have gone, or are willing to go.

Thank the Lord above every day for each breath we take.

Remember - Our experience make us who we are.
eltacs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #158
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

WOW! I'm going to have to come back and read all these post. Glad ya'll are all okay.

I've had a lot of close calls but nothing very threatning. Knock on wood. An incident that makes my knees weak every time I think about occured in high school. My dad was off hunting in Mexico for a week so I decided to have a field party at the house. First indication I was up to no good.. The horses had been left out to graze the pasture so I needed to put them up in the runs so they woudln't escape if someone left the gate open. My buddy comes over and I tell him to hop on the tractor fender and he can ride along while I get two round bales to put in the run.
Thank GOD for power steering on tractors. As I enter the first run I have a bale on the front and back. There's a slight slope and I'm operating the tractor too fast. As I turn the tractor around I feel the tractor start leaning A LOT. The inside tires where about a foot of the ground, my buddy is hanging on for his life. I quickly spin the steering wheel back to the opposite direction and we got all fours back on the ground.
Could have been a real sad day for two families. Couldn't even imagine how I'd felt if I killed my buddy and I survived.

Last edited by Vantage Point; 07-18-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #159
gpena
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywere invited

Been stabbed on two separate occasions, shot, beaten up by 4 or 5 punks in three major vehicle accidents doctors say I should of been dead in all of them. But the one time I thought I'm done for was I was kayak fishing in a tandem kayak with my brother and we were almost 2 miles out in the gulf, the kayak flipped and I dropped my rig on impact. I tried to going under right when we hit but it was gone, I felt like I was kickin for ever trying to get to the surface I finally swallowed a big gulp of water and remember my bro picking me up. Once I hit air I start regurgitating instantly to the point were I'm sinking I can't do anything but vomit my brother is trying to hold on to the kayak and me from slipping back under at the same time. After about ten minutes of this I finally come to with no strength to swim back to shore. A surfer saw us an got me on his board and helped us back in, all the stuff I have been thru this was the only time I thought I'm done this is it. My wife and mother say I'm invincible but I reassure them that the lord still has plans for me here, then he will call me home, and I will gladly go to be with him. Cherish everyday with your loved ones and thank the lord for your blessings.

Last edited by gpena; 07-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.
gpena is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #160
five-08808
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson and Harris Counties

I obviously am grateful for praying parents and Gods grace. I have had many close calls.
At 13 I was the spotter in the bow of the boat watching as my dad was towing my nephew on a tube. The boat was overpowered and it went airborne tossing me out. My dad was very quick thinking and killed the engine mid air. The boat landed transom first just a few feet from me and slowly began to sink.

As a 6month rookie I had a cracked out maniac try to kill me and I ended up having to use deadly force to stop him and save my own life.

I had two head on crashes as a motor officer ( haven't ridden a scooter since 07).

Many other close calls while on duty, shot at, run over attempts, etc...

You may recall a couple of years ago seeing me on the news nearly getting killed on the Fred Hartman bridge by a runaway 18 wheeler wheel and tire. It hit my holster and I only suffered bruising from mid thigh to underarm. Three inches over and I would be dead. MSNBC did a story on it, caught on camera-narrow escapes.
I must have a purpose on earth because the man up stairs has been busy protecting me and obviously, a lot of other TBHers as well.
five-08808 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #161
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

05 triple bypass--vn 120mm rocket between my legs--a dud.
old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #162
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
I think the message here is that life is fragile and fleeting.

It can be over in the blink of the eye.

Please be careful so you can live a long life and died old and happy.

The creator only promises you this moment.
I guess it's time to x2 myself for our young and fearless members.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #163
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-08808 View Post
I obviously am grateful for praying parents and Gods grace. I have had many close calls.
At 13 I was the spotter in the bow of the boat watching as my dad was towing my nephew on a tube. The boat was overpowered and it went airborne tossing me out. My dad was very quick thinking and killed the engine mid air. The boat landed transom first just a few feet from me and slowly began to sink.

As a 6month rookie I had a cracked out maniac try to kill me and I ended up having to use deadly force to stop him and save my own life.

I had two head on crashes as a motor officer ( haven't ridden a scooter since 07).

You may recall a couple of years ago seeing me on the news nearly getting killed on the Fred Hartman bridge by a runaway 18 wheeler wheel and tire. It hit my holster and I only suffered bruising from mid thigh to underarm. Three inches over and I would be dead. MSNBC did a story on it, caught on camera-narrow escapes.
I must have a purpose on earth because the man up stairs has been busy protecting me and obviously, a lot of other TBHers as well.
In regards to the 18 wheeler tire...I do remember that! Crazy that is you and yes you are extremely lucky. I went back on youtube and watched it and that thing was MOVING!!
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #164
Gonzo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-08808 View Post

That was you???? I seen the video on TV several times
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #165
10-96inTexas
Eight Point

looking for a burglary suspect. walked between two parked cars. he jumped up and fired before I could react. shot me in the fat cheek of my face. could have been a lot worse but I lived and so did he. He wears a colostomy bag from the bullets in his belly and we pay for his upkeep in the fine criminal justice system system that we have. life goes on.
10-96inTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #166
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Rolled Subaru on I-70 at Greenfield IN exit, laid on side of the road bleeding out all busted up. until EMT's were able to get me on a stretcher, took three of them and two police men to hold me down, woke in a hospital 13 days later and went home three days after that. Skull and eye socket where fractured and all healed without medical assisstance. Docotors could not explain why I was not paralyzed, crippled and blind. That was 33 years ago and have not tried it again since.

Last edited by Wudstix; 07-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #167
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Summer of 85.

A friend and I had gone varmint hunting one night, he brought his then girlfriend along and the seat was way too small for 3. So with him driving with me riding in the back of his 78 Chevy LUV with the spotlight. We finished that and decided to head back to the house.

I got the gate, hopped back into the bed of the truck and off we went, in my brilliant, 19 yr old wisdom I though it would be cool to toss beer bottles at the road signs. I was standing in the bed "holding on" to the cab, beer in one hand, empty in the other...sign comes up, blam!!

Now we're on a 2 lane FM, signs on both side right? That's where this went south.

I remember leaning over a little to grab another bottle for the sign coming up in our lane, didn't even consider the back of the sign in the opposite lane.... but my buddy, the drive did. Seems he made a bit of a swerve in that direction, to get us closer to it...while I was still leaned over after the next bottle.

Now, it's summer so I'm wearing nothing but a pair of Nike Legends, warm up pants and a tank top...

The next bit happened in about 1/10th of a second. As he swerved left, of course I go right, stumbling over a spare tire in the bed of this tiny little pick up, I remember thinking "OH ****!" about the time I was going head first over the bed side.

Best he could remember, we were doing about 50ish(thankfully a stock, beater Chevy LUV didn't go much faster than that), my right hand was the first thing to make contact with the pavement, but only for a split second, followed immediately by the right side of my face. I remember seeing a quick flash of red/white, hearing the thud of my skull, and actually have all the events I had planned, and how ****** my boss was going to be from me missing work, flash before my eyes.

After the face plant, I started rolling, tumbling, bouncing and skidding...I recall hearing his girlfriend scream and thought to myself... you're dead now buddy...way to go.

About that time, I could smell tire rubber and hear the sound of skidding, and caught a brief flash of brake lights right about the time I came to a complete stop... it seems a Chvey LUV comes to a complete stop much faster than a rolling idiot. I slammed into the back bumper, coming up on both knees, within a few seconds, my friend was standing in front of me in a sheer panic, ripping his shirt off to wrap it around what was left of my face, lead me to the seat, get back in and haul butt to Burnet...16 miles away.

I fought passing out all the way there, we get to the ER, and now the adrenaline has started wearing off, the pain from a full body rasberry is kicking in, along with the fact that I am now looking through my right eyebrow. Within 10 minutes or so I had then Dr Shepard stitching me up, while the nurse picked gravel and who knows what else out of about every high spot on my body. Later had to have the patellar tendon in my knee reattached. Stitched up, xrayed etc, Doc told me I was lucky to be alive.
Hair still matted with dried blood, my bud took me home, poured me in to bed... I woke up 3 days later staring at the dresser mirror.

Last edited by JFISHER; 07-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #168
smb250
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wharton County, and Where ever I go

I guess the closest for me would be this
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342667980.911346.jpg
Views: 10661
Size:  42.9 KB
Yes, that's an arrow
smb250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #169
TXZiggy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb250 View Post
I guess the closest for me would be this
Attachment 365218
Yes, that's an arrow
WOW!!!! What's the story behind that....if you're willing to share.
TXZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #170
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

Which time? Was hit by a pickup while riding a snowmachine, hit by a car while riding a snowmachine a year later. Landed on my head on that one and cracked my helmet right down the middle. Landing in Anchorage during a snowstorm, the pilot failed to call for strobes and aimed for the wrong end of the runway, almost landed in Cook Inlet. I was sitting just in front of the wing and got an up-close and personal view of the water and ice from about 40 feet. Yeah, we were in a 737.

The worst however was falling through the ice at Prudhoe Bay while on field trip when I was a Junior in high school. Barely caught myself but was in the water up to my chest with my arms spread and I could feel the current pulling me under. A couple of others tried to get to me to pull me out bu the ice started breaking under them. Was finally able to pull myself out by grabbing a chunk of ice and had to belly crawl about 100 yards in ten below. It was only October, so not cold yet. Apparently, nobody had told the tour guide/bus driver that ARCO had been testing a new ice breaker in that area earlier in the week. Had I gone all the way through, my body never would have been found.

By the grace of God, I am still here and His plan for me must not be completed yet.

Last edited by str8shooter; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 PM.
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #171
smb250
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXZiggy View Post
You will find thread on here titled
Bow Accident Wharton County
Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #172
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXZiggy View Post
Please share if you feel up to it. Can't believe your eyes are open. I would have been passed out!
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #173
westguy76
Ten Point

Hunt In: central TX

Wow some good and bad tales here that kept me up to late reading all of them. I have some crazy stories about stupid reckless things I've done but I'm not proud of them and they were not near death that I know of by the grace of God. I will say falling asleep while driving on a highway and waking up in the ditch taking out road signs is sobering.

I'm glad for those that have survived some harrowing stories here I'm sorry for yalls pain and for those that lost others tragically, and thanks to those that serve military and Leo alike.
Good night all and may God watch everyone and their families
Dan
westguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #174
smb250
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Please share if you feel up to it. Can't believe your eyes are open. I would have been passed out!
Since some are new here. So you don't have to search for thread. I am gunsmith at R&M Firearms in El Campo. I was helping a customer with a bow because our bow tech, Dean, was busy with another customer. The guy wanted to try out a Mathews Z7 Extreme. I checked his draw length and handed him demo bow. I was standing to his right and about 4 feet behind him. He drew bow and for some reason decided to let it down. The bow torqued out of his left had and slingshot around and right at me. I blocked with forearm and arrow went under my arm and stuck in right side of face. I grabbed the arrow and stepped backwards to pull it out of bow. Rest is ambulance rides and surgeries. All healed up now.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342669773.011414.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342669796.755702.jpg
Views: 7939
Size:  86.0 KB
Old 07-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #175
BuckTag
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Island hopping in Greece and we were on Santorini. I drank a little too much and wondered from the hotel (wife was sleeping) and walked out onto a rocky finger on this cliff and barely caught myself. The next morning I went out to where I remember walking and the same spot I almost fell was over a 100 foot straight drop of the cliff to the rocky bottom.... Yes, I know stupid...
BuckTag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #176
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Gratefully I havent had many close calls besides getting into a couple fights in college and later finding out if the guys got back to their vehicles, they had way more ammo than we did...
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #177
TXZiggy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb250 View Post
You will find thread on here titled
Bow Accident Wharton County
Found it...scary stuff. Glad you're ok!
TXZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #178
pazthru
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever gracious invitations allow, South Africa and 160 ac. Huntsville, Tx.

Motorcycle accident.................forced off road by cell phone talker in Chevy Suburban......50 mph on an uphill curve...............in the gravel and off pavement.........group of mail boxes and light pole coming at me....left side down....me airborne.....life flight to Herman Hospital.........7-broken ribs,2-broken vertebrae...major road rash on left arm.
Helment with full face visor saved my life.
Took one short ride on buddies bike after recovery........sold what lwas left of mine for parts.
Moving on to other things.
pazthru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #179
smb250
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazthru View Post
Motorcycle accident.................forced off road by cell phone talker in Chevy Suburban......50 mph on an uphill curve...............in the gravel and off pavement.........group of mail boxes and light pole coming at me....left side down....me airborne.....life flight to Herman Hospital.........7-broken ribs,2-broken vertebrae...major road rash on left arm.
Helment with full face visor saved my life.
Took one short ride on buddies bike after recovery........sold what lwas left of mine for parts.
Moving on to other things.
Glad you made it and are all right
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #180
pazthru
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever gracious invitations allow, South Africa and 160 ac. Huntsville, Tx.

Thanks. It just was not my time to go.
pazthru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #181
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Saw him (death) in an airport once. Woulda stopped to get his autograph but I was already late for my flight.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #182
berettadave
Ten Point

Hunt In: In vain

Dated a psycho gal for a few years in the mid 90's. We broke up in '96. Good thing cause I would have had to commit suicide had I hung around any longer!!!....Does that count????

Dave
berettadave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #183
bsimm78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tioga and Canton

Iraq 2003-2004
bsimm78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #184
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Closest for me was bringing my girlfriend home one night and her shirt was on inside out. Her dad wanted to know how that happened. He told me the first time I took her out he would kill me if I touched her. It was a tense moment but I'm still here.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #185
smb250
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimm78 View Post
Iraq 2003-2004
Thank you for serving our country SIR!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #186
12 point
Ten Point

Just thought of another close call with death that's worth mentioning. This incident occurred when I was in the 8th grade. My dad picked me up from school that day and on the way home I could see that a storm was approaching with a dark low hanging wall cloud. We almost always had a vegetable garden and since it was during the spring we had several tomato plants left in containers that still needed to be transplanted.
As soon as we got home we hurredly starting putting the plants up and also there were some bicyle parts I needed to put up as well before the expected rain and wind arrived.

After all the plants were safely placed in one of the storage buildings, I made one last trip to pick up two expensive bicycle rims that I had left out the day before. Before I reached to grab them, I looked up into the sky where there was a paper bag being tossed around with some other items. It was very obvious that there was a lot of turbulence in the area with the approaching storm. Suddenly, a roaring noise was heard to my left. It was a twister and appeared over the tree tops directly above the creek. Without any doubt, I knew what it was even without turning to face it. I saw it from the corner of my left eye. There was no time to turn around to look directly at it. All I could do was try to run.
As I tried to run, the suction from the twister pulled me backwards. Thankfully it was probably only an F1, otherwise, I wouldn't be typing this post. My dad was yelling for me to run to the house where he was clinging to doorway, but it was useless for me to do anything else except drop to the ground. At that point, it was hard to see much with all the dust blowing around and plenty of it went in my eyes. I could barely even hear my dad yelling with the roaring tornado behind me. There was a tree nearby that I was able to drop to base of and hold on tightly to the trunk as hard as I could. Things happened so fast and I do remember having a feeling that my life may be about to end. God was most definitely watching over me that day. The tornado turned and as it did, I heard a boom as one of the storage buildings was picked up and dropped. I got up and ran as hard as I could towards the house. As I made it to the back porch, there was a whirring noise that passed directly to the left of my head and something slammed into one of the gates. I dove through the back door way where my dad was still clinging to.

My mind was almost numb, trying to make sense of everything that had just occurred. My mom and sister were inside and had no idea that I was out there trying to stay alive. We all heard a loud bang and later found out it was the larger shop building exploding from the vacuum, since the door and windows were all shut. After the twister had passed, we all went outside to inspect the damage. The roof and siding on the shop was all gone. We knew that it was about to rain hard and could see many of the tiwsted pieces of metal roofing laying out in the field. There were a lot of expensive tools in that shop and we were hoping that we could get the roof covered before the contents got wet. We got most of the roof covered in time before the rain hit.

I later found out what it was that had nearly hit me in the head as I was running away from the twister. It was one of those bicycle rims that I was in the process of putting up when the twister hit. The tornado had picked it up and it became airborn. Stories like this may seem hard to believe, unless you've been through a tornado before. My mom, dad, and sister will confirm everything I've said here. I'm very forntunate to be alive and I thank the Lord for his protection.

Last edited by 12 point; 07-19-2012 at 10:00 AM.
12 point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #187
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Actually the wise guy answer to this question is "right now"
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #188
bsimm78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tioga and Canton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Actually the wise guy answer to this question is "right now"
....and now. and now
bsimm78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #189
Poppy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown,Clay&Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
flipped a 1/4 mile drag boat over in Waco back in 96. running around 130mph hit a small gust of wind and it stood up and took off like a rocket about 60 foot up in the air. when the boat hit the water I was thrown thru the side of it. almost cut a leg off on the dash.
Crow was your boat named Quicksilver was it
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #190
Bleu
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County - Montague County

97' the day seniors got out of school. We were at a party and my best friend and I were gonna go grab a pizza (far enough out where you had to drive about 12 miles and meet the pizza guy at a convenient store). Well the two of us quickly turned into 5, and his old ford 3/4 ton quickly turned into one of our other buddies jaguar. I got out when the backseat got a little too full for my liking. They all four were killed in a high speed, single car accident shortly after. That was the first and only time since childhood he or I ever asked the other to go somewhere, and one of us turned it down. Without giving the hole biograghy, that day changed the course of my life. Still wonder why and think about him/that everyday.

These stories are all great testimony in their own way. All of them happen just like everything else...cause and effect...action and reaction, and those circumstances have left many of us better peolple. You men and women that are military, police officers, fire fighters, coast gaurd and maybe some that I failed to list; you guys strap it on everyday knowing all hell could break loose at any moment. I could only imagine the situations you find yourself in due to your service. Thank you for what you do to keep this country safe.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #191
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

I've nearly drowned 4 or 5 times now. Surfing huge waves in Northern California.....20-30ft + faces.....during my 20s. Wipe outs on waves that measure vertically 2 or 3 telephone poles in height.....scars and stitches in my face and skull from 2 of them.

Slipped on a icy, wooden mooring dock in Kodiak Alaska and slipped over the side of the dock...falling vertically 30+ ft before cracking my skull against a rock at the waters edge....knocking me completely out and my body sank down the nearly veritcal wall to the bottom...literally 35ft + below the dock in super cold water. I came too staring face up..bubbles and blood marking my decent to the bottom below. I barely made the surface before I gulped air.....cracked skull.....cracked left knee cap.....stiches in the head and knee with a concussion. All alone......him and I......he was all I had - thank you ..........Thank you Lord! I stumbled up and out onto the near by highway...blood streaming down my face and eyes....all over the ground...soaking wet and staggering from the crack...a Kodiak local fisherman picked me up and hauled me to the Coast Guard hospital emergency room in Kodiak.

Riding a 15 speed bike down Telegraph Avenue from the Berkley campus.....downhill 4 lane street hauling butt with a friend following on his bike, a VW bug pulls out in front of me...I snag brakes and the front brake locks up..flipping me over and onto the VW's windshield and hood crushing the cars front hood in like a pancake..as the VW is still rolling....my body flips down in front of the car and right before the woman runs me over....the brakes engage and I'm laying flat on my back staring up at the VW's front bumper covers my head and stops! The entire time...time stands absolutely still....kinda goes into slow motion.....and I still remember her scream..blood curdling scream of pain...she thought she killed me and ran me over...couldn't even get out of the car. I was saved from major injury due to a back pack stuffed full of pull-over baja jackets that padded my impact onto the VW's hood. The entire windshield was crushed and in pieces everywhere...hood smashed flat....some of the roof of the car crushed down from my body as well. Walked away without a scratch but...those that witnessed it from the street and stopped cars stated it was an absolute freak show...couldn't believe I didn't get hurt much less killed.

I rolled my truck in Austin.....burned up...totaled loss....went around a wet corner..back end popped out and off a cliff I roll...at around 40 mph. Truck caught fire as I sat there upside down in my seat belt. Popped the back door open...pulled my two bows out and saved them as the truck burned up. The cliff and drop was roughly 30 - 50ft down good old Texas hill country caliche rocks.

I saved a bridge jumper from jumping to his death from the Oakland - San Francisco Bay Bridge. He was standing on the span between Yerba Buena Island and Oakland behind one of the bridge support spans...6 lanes of freeway traffic headed west bound to San Francisco - dual deck bridge - top deck. I'm driving west bound....in the far left lane when something makes me stare immediately left as I pass one of the bridge's huge towers...he's standing behind the tower...out of view of all the cars zipping by. No shoulder on this bridge...just a steel wall and curb....with the lane up against that wall...6 lanes wide. I come up to the Yerba Buena Island exit...my Coast Guard Station is down below on the Island...headed to work and I spot my jumpers car, parked neatly off the exit with his flashers on for safety? I pull my truck in behind his car and start my run up the bridge and 6 lanes of Sunday afternoon traffic...running on the deck to the jumper.....roughly 400 - 500 yards away....away from safety and anything sane. As I run...cars nearly hitting me...horns blaring...brakes locked up...swerving and skidding...I run dodging cars to the jumper. A California Highway Patrolman spots me on the freeway and see's all the cars going nuts nearly having major wrecks...well over the San Francisco Bay......he gets on his PA as he rolls by yelling at me like I'm a nut....on a suicide highway jog against traffic. He pulls in behind my truck....well down the freeway and starts running at me absolutely bent on taking me down. He's scared....he's yelling at me....I'm there trying to wave cars off the Policeman so he doesn't get nailed and right as he's about to take me down...I start yelling at him "Jumper up ahead....he's on the rail...I'm US Coast Guard...I'm going to save this man....are you coming to cover and cuff?!?!?!? The cop blinks and freaks out realizing we are both now committed to saving this jumpers life in a very bad place and we have about 150 yards to go before we get to him. I got to the jumper, nearly had him in my hand talking to him about not jumping, family and friends care for him....I'm here to help you please take my hand.....the jumper reaches for my hand for a moment..spots the cop and turns to jump leaping as I grabbed his pants..the cop grabs his pants and between the pair of us we somehow counter his body's weight as he tries to leap...we pull him back and over the rail onto the pavement in the far left lane....nothing blocking traffic for us...cars swerving at last minute before blowing over us...we make the cuff! This dude is now POd and he's not moving..forcing us to drag his body down the freeway in the left lane...the 400 yards back to our neatly parked cars. I still remember the last image of this scene....CHIP and I both stare at each other and at the same time we simply say THANKS! I don't know his name...he doesn't know mine but we saved a man from himself that afternoon....on the top deck of the Oakland Bay bridge......between Yerba Beuna and Oakland California....130ft above the San Francicso Bay. I later watched this same man jump to his death a few weeks later.....further out in the same spot....we found his body about 2 weeks later.

Dutch Harbor Alaska...we get a mayday call notification from Coast Guard Rescue Kodiak. An 800 ft Japanese Factory ship is 180 nautical miles NW of Dutch Harbor Alaska.....caught in a major arctic storm in the Bering Sea - we are directed to assist. We sail out of Dutch Harbor at 35kts - gas turbine engines - 378 ft Coast Guard cutter....150 man crew. Into the teeth of the storm in the Bering Sea we go......the seas go to 60 - 80ft with winds over 120kts in gusts. Freak waves over 100 ft high hit us every 4 - 6 hours....for 5 days we are now caught into the nastiest storm any of us have ever endured. The ship we were called out to rescue snapped in half....26 men die......800ft ship now in pieces at the bottom of the Bering. We are running 3kts forward engine speed and for 5 days we were pushed backward, 1 nautical mile every hour....freak waves blasting into our ship...buring the bridge under water.....70ft above the water's edge. The entire ship would get airborn jumping over these huge freak waves..burying the entire stern.....underwater. Over the mountain we would go....looking out of the bridge forward...all you see is sky and this huge gray wall growing higher and higher above the front of the ship before we go underwater....staring at bubbles and our windshield wipers as the ship is now underwater and trying to plane up and out the back of the monster wave. We lost one gas turbine jet engine - 30,000 shaft horsepower per engine, we had two, the port side is ripped out of her engine mount. The crew chained, blocked and pressure jacked it into a spot to keep the jet engine from flying around tearing a hole in our ship. The starboard side main diesel engine super charger detonates and we explode that engine due to oil loss. Two engines gone from a total of 4.....we can't turn the ship around...if we try to...she's only 40ft wide and she will roll tossing us all into 28 degree arctic water. We finally had our chance to turn the ship around in our 6th day. With huge heavy ground swells now on our stern we limp southward to the lee of an island and chill for another day before limping back to Kodiak...800 miles away. We trashed the ship.....her keel bent 2ft and the only reason why we didn't snap in half....like the lost souls we tried to save was....our ship had an expansion plate designed to relieve hull stress...in super heavy seas. The walls were floors and the floors were walls....for literally a week. Many men stopped functioning...we had several hospitalized in Kodiak...dehydrated, broken bones...lacerations.....it all went with a lot of broken equipment and gear.

I still remember us sailing back into Kodiak.......the entire town was out...the Mayor.....the Admiral.....families of watermen and Coasties......all there to welcome us back to shore knowing....we escaped death ourselves.....unable to save those we were tasked to save. Many tears were shed.........I still water up to this day thinking of this one case...... I wouldn't wish this week on anyone......we shouldn't be here but we survived.

I have several more but I'm stopping here.....i
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #192
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Hog hunting at Granger WMA with a buddy 10 years ago. We had split up and I decided to cross a recently dried up creek. It was about 10' across, and the bottom has a dried top crust on it that looked firm enough. The first step was fine, but the second step I sank over my knees. The more I struggled to get out, the deeper I sank. I was up to my waist in less than a minute, and could no longer move. The creek was a wet weather creek that drained a lot of farmland, and the silt it washed down was like being stuck in thick glue. He found me that evening, after I didn't show back up at the truck at the pre-determined time. I heard him yelling my name, and he heard me. This was a good two miles from the truck at a very seldom used part of the WMA. I've often thought about how it would have ended if I'd been alone. No way was I getting out of that mess by myself. I usually went by myself, and never told anyone my plans or when I would be back. Now I always make sure someone knows where I'm going just in case. I don't want to end up a hog's dinner.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #193
stan
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Mexico and Texas

Having been shot twice, and shot at a few more times, stabbed once, and involved in 3 major car wrecks, its hard to pinpoint the "closest" I ever came. Perhaps the most dramatic was a response to an officer needs help call, and my driver/partner was hitting about 120 with full emergency equipment engaged when a drunk pulled out in front of us. We knocked his car about a block into the grand opening sign at a new Pizza Hut, my partner was scalped, and I was pinned in. None of us had on seat belts (not required at that time). My partner and the drunk were both admitted to the hospital. Once the car was pried away from me by emergency services I walked away with nothing but some bruises on my shins. Talk about not my time. God has watched out for me in spite of stupid things I've done throughout my life.
stan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #194
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Several near misses, too many really... but a few notable ones... been shot twice (22 in the leg, 25 auto in the neck) stabbed twice (once in the back and once in the arm) been shot at a few more times, rolled a couple of cars at high speed (one on my wedding night) and been pronounced dead in a head-on at 70+ mph... (that one was in my CJ-5) only to have them figure out I wasn't dead … woke up 11 days later in traction... in 2010 the doc misdiagnosed a gallbladder as pancreatic cancer and it almost cost me my life.. surgeon said my liver and kidneys had shut down and I was on my way to checking out when they finally decided it wasn't cancer and started looking for something else...
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #195
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

my back had been giv'n me fitt's "putting up a tower blind by hand" and was heading back out to hunt, took one "1" aleve tab to help with the pain. on I20 between arlington and fr. worth i found out i was allergic to the stuf. "very allergic". tryed to tear the skin off my arms. throat and eye's swelling shut, i got pulled over in the middle and was hangin out. my god send was a guy going east bound he saw me and came around to see if something was wrong. he saved my life.... when the medics showed up i was blacked out, couldn't breath thay hit me with a eppi pen.
not only did he do all this he stayed with my truck till my wife showed up , I was going for a week hunt and was loaded to the hilt..
i can remember lay'n there think'n lord who's gona take care of neetz and the kids.
and all the crap i'v been through a stupid little pill is gona do it...
car/ bike wreck's navy days, head crushed in. that was all easy.

yes sir there are angel's. god send's ya one when ya REALLY NEED IT.
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #196
Racer 808
Six Point

Hunt In: Wise, Montague, Bosque County

I almost had my head hit by another motorcycle on the track a few weeks ago while teaching students.
A guy on a all black ducati 848evo hit the brakes hard because he got spooked or something and i ended up touching his back tire with my front and that's all it took.
Was going about 80 or so when i hit the ground and slid a long ways then a other rider on the orange CRB600rr nearly hit me.

Racer 808 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #197
wassaw
Pope & Young

I'll just say "thank you" that they were only close....
this is what goes through my head when i recall any of my "moments"

just boils down to 3 "If's" i hope and pray i get to do

if i make it to Heaven
If there are Guardian Angels
If i can ask 1 favor from God
I would like to meet my Guardian Angel and the ones for my family members. Give each a bear Hug and say a most sincere thank you.
in between each closest time i have been granted so much more... the birth of my two daughters, watching them grow, re-marring and gaining two more children, now grandchildren and too much more to type about

sorry, didn't follow the thread and post stories of each But I thank God they were only "close"
wassaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #198
firemanjj82
Ten Point

AtTheWall, I'm not sure how to respond to all of that, or any of this for that matter.

I can't think of any times where I was close to death. I guess I'm just waiting for that "one" time. In my profession, I see a lot of people dead from doing the same stuff I did as a kid and not giving an extra thought about it. I've bailed out of fast moving boats, climbed trees too high, fallen asleep while driving, had a shotgun pointed at me by a drunk hunter, given too must trust to people that I didn't really know, etc. I know there have been too many times where I have played with fire and have not been burned. I'll try to keep it that way too.
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #199
Gsxrmike

I have been very, very fortunate to have a number of close calls yet still be here today.

Twice, while flying planes, I have had other aircraft that were flying where they should not have been flying pass less than 100 feet from my plane. One was a colossal idiot who had decided to depart Dallas in a Cessna 421 through a solid cloud layer without bothering to file an instrument flight plan or even talk with air traffic control. I was cleared for an approach when he pops up from the cloud layer directly in front of me. Scary moment.

I have had numerous very close calls while doing stupid things on fast bikes and sports cars but luckily survived long enough to grow up.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #200
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Push county OK

I have never been closer to death than I am at this very moment. Just saying!
Okiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top