Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #51
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress

Marriage!!! As close to dying as one can get. J/K

Been very fortunate, numerous times had a few close calls but nothing like most of yours. One reason I have quit drinking.
junkmanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #52
Keith
Administrator

WOW! Some amazing stories in this thread!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #53
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post

I am truly blessed and I like to think that my experience led me to my career in EMS. I met the FFs that responded to help me.. Joined the department. My chief talked me into EMT school and here I am today!
You're a very brave person and I admire you greatly for what you've been through and what you've done since then.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #54
Langston32
Eight Point

Hunt In: Camouflage

I was street racing in my truck right before my daughter was born, the last time i looked down at the speed-o I was going 118 and i lost it in a slight curve in the road. My truck slid sideways off the road and rolled 15 times. I did not have my seat belt on and was ejected out of the vehicle and flew through the air 75 feet to the wood line where I landed up in some trees, I tried to hold on to the tree limbs but couldn't and fell another 20 to the ground where I dislocated my hip, broke ribs and punctured my lung. My truck made it all the way to the wood line as well and we weren't 10' apart when it was all over!
Langston32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #55
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I would bog down the server with all mine.

Here's one if you've got an hour....
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=206192

3 bouts with colon cancer....

Numerous close calls in the Marines and law enforcement.

Almost fell through a rusty well cover in Many, Louisiana when I was about 8 or 9. I was jumping up and down on it when it starting breaking through. Somebody knocked the hell out of me (grandma or mom/dad)
BOBBY, YOU HAVE 9 LIFES.
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #56
PlastikBulletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
30 years as a cop i had more than 1 close call.... car pusuit from beaumont to orange county then back into vidor, crossed s main and 105 on a light, only had time to say "o' God" because the light changed and two 18 wheelers were crossing from both sides and there was no way to stop at 122,, by some miracle both trucks stopped and nothing else tried to cross or turn... got back into beaumont and headed west on the service road,, with a big ridge in the middle,, the suspect went airborn came done on right side blowing both tires,, i was able to keep my car level and the officer behind me later told me he could see the roof of the suspects car under mine when i went airborne at about 80.... twice on one chase.....
another officer while flagging traffic was hit by an old woman on major drive,, he was barely able to call for help,, i started to him west on highway 90 ( college st) 7 lanes east and west,,at lindbergh it was 4 north and south,,, i was the closest car at about 5 miles,,, light changed again,, another "o' God" and the light changed green for me, blew through the intersection at 105mph.... that light change was not a lucky thing because every other car on the road was already in motion and all of the stopped, because of the way the light changed out of sequence and real quick
disturbance with a gun call, had a danged yankee rookie with me.... found the house and suspect, super drunk... he let us in to look for the gun,, this was a very very narrow shotgun shack, doorways were about 20" wide, narrowest doors i ever saw... rookie let the suspect enter the bedroom first, and then let him reach into a dresser drawer were he pulled the gun ( rg 22 revolver) pointed it straight at my chest and pulled the trigger, @#$%&^*( rookie never tried to stop him) and i was just tring to get into the room behind them, no time even for an "o' God" heard the hammer click as i am trying to reach through the doorway and grab the gun, didnt even have room to draw,,, drunk pulls the trigger the second time say "see i told you it quit working" stupid drunk thankfully had loaded the bullets in backwards, fireing pin was hitting the nose of the bullet!!!!!
rookie was taken into the station and given to the sgt,, he started looking for a new line of work two days later....
I hate Beaumont, and try to avoid it at all costs! Graduated from Ozen HS when it was re-opened. I remember something about the cop that got hit on Major. When was that?
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #57
jpbruni
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb, Jim Hogg and Proud Member of Team Gizzard

My buddy and I were driving to Mason from Dallas to hunt. We left way too late and he was driving. I fell asleep in the passenger seat. I woke up to see him totally asleep and us going 75mph. I yelled at him while grabbing the wheel. We had to pull over for a while and he almost got sick to his stomach. No telling what would have happened. I have no doubt God tapped me on my shoulder because I was sound asleep.

Other time I was in my band van heading into downtown Dallas. I was on the East side of town and it was morning rush hour. Very confusing intersections and highway on and off ramps there. I roll through an intersection that I thought had a yield sign for the other road. I was wrong! I just drove right across the intersection. The second I get across, a car blows right past me a t 70mph. I had to pull over I was so freaked out! One second earlier and I would have been killed for sure. The other driver must have been distracted because he never even hit his brakes or honked his horn.

I also saved a guys life one time. We were waiting to cross a street and for some reason he thought it was clear and stepped out in the road to cross. I grabbed him by the shirt with all my might and yanked him backwards, back out of the road. The car was going about 45-50 mph and actually clipped him on the leg (no injury). He he never saw the car.

He bought me a few beers that night.

J.P.
jpbruni is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #58
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

September 19, 2008 ... the day my brain exploded. Subarachnoid hemmorage. No warning and no explanation. The pain dropped me to my knees in our tiled living room. Several hours afterwards, my wife found me in a bathtub full of cold water, puking from the pain. Even after that, I thought it was just a bad headache and didn't want to go to the doctor, so I laid down and went to sleep, or at least tried to. When there was no relief from that she loaded me up and took me to the ER. I puked again in the ER lobby. The doctor didn't waste any time getting a CT scan and when he saw the image, he told my wife that I shouldn't be alive much less walking and talking. They took me by life flight from Katy to downtown Houston. 7 days in neurotrama ICU, pumped full of morphine and then I was taken to a regular room and discharged 3 days later.

Three months later I had a followup appointment when the doctor finally told us that the bleeding had stopped on its own and if it would have bled for another half second, I'd have died.

So a half second away is the closest that I've come to dieing. I still have unusual pains in my neck and abnormal headaches but now know that each day is a blessing. The ordeal gave me a new outlook on life.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #59
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney, Anywhere I can find

I'm a fireman so I've had a few close calls.. Most recent was on a structure fire, one I my FF's low air alarm is going off- so im walking towards him alarm to find out who it is and make sure everything's alright. Well not knowing i had just stepped OVER a live power line on the ground, once I got my FF we were walking to the engine to change his bottle and we both stepped ON the live power line. Didn't really sink in till the power company showed up and confirmed that the line was hot! Thankfully we all went home in one piece that night.
Jeremy7306 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

Mine is kinda boring.. I was hanging phone cable on a part time job, something went wrong and I came in contact with a primary power line that had 7200volts running through it. I don't remember any of it until I regain consciousness down on the ground. I ended up with some deep burns on my leg and hand, six weeks of scrubbing burns twice a day then small skin grafts after that. Very blessed by God that I still have all my fingers and toes.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #61
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Viet Nam '70/'71. Too many to count. Just glad I made it home.

Doug Key
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #62
BigPigSticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, Coleman County, Kansas

August 21, 2010

Me and my wife had went over to a friends house on that Saturday morning to drink coffee. We were on a motorcycle just enjoying the weather. After having a couple of cups of coffee we needed to head home because I had told my brother that I would come help him trim some tree limbs away from the roof on his house. (He was dieing from cancer at the time) Well about 1/3 of the way back home we met about 4 oncoming cars evenly spaced in a line. The 3rd car was an elderly man and he decided to turn left in front of us. My motorcylce met his Mini Van at 55mph. Me and my wife were both care flighted from the scene to Parkland Trauma center in Dallas. I had a broken neck, fractured sternum, pelvis, hip, right knee and all ligaments torn in my right ankle.

The first thing that I remember was the ICU Docs sewing my face up. I had 35 stiches in my forehead and pretty much my entire nose put back on to my face. I guess they put me back under because the next time that I woke up, my friend that owns the funeral home up in Arlington was standing beside my bed with my kids. That is when I was told that my wife did not make it through the wreck.

3 neck surgeries, 1 pelvis surgery, 1 knee surgery and still an ankle surgery to go. I wake up sore most every morning and will the rest of my life but God didnt want me that day and I am glad that he didnt.
BigPigSticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #63
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

Had quite a few close calls, and a lot of very close calls being in the military mostly involving helicopters, getting shot at, and indirect fire...but I don't consider it as close to death, or "almost dying". You either die, or you don't. There is no almost
PSD Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #64
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
September 19, 2008 ... the day my brain exploded. Subarachnoid hemmorage. No warning and no explanation. The pain dropped me to my knees in our tiled living room. Several hours afterwards, my wife found me in a bathtub full of cold water, puking from the pain. Even after that, I thought it was just a bad headache and didn't want to go to the doctor, so I laid down and went to sleep, or at least tried to. When there was no relief from that she loaded me up and took me to the ER. I puked again in the ER lobby. The doctor didn't waste any time getting a CT scan and when he saw the image, he told my wife that I shouldn't be alive much less walking and talking. They took me by life flight from Katy to downtown Houston. 7 days in neurotrama ICU, pumped full of morphine and then I was taken to a regular room and discharged 3 days later.

Three months later I had a followup appointment when the doctor finally told us that the bleeding had stopped on its own and if it would have bled for another half second, I'd have died.

So a half second away is the closest that I've come to dieing. I still have unusual pains in my neck and abnormal headaches but now know that each day is a blessing. The ordeal gave me a new outlook on life.
My ( now ex ) wife endured the same thing while she was pregnant with my oldest daughter. Tomball Hospital almost killed her after two days of sitting in the hospital and doing nothing. They finally sent her to St Lukes at my and her mothers urging. Within hrs she was in surgury. Dr Ajay Bindal saved her and my unborn daughters life. The memories still hurt. My daughter is 11 now.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #65
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

Always wear a life jacket at SLP! Allot of people drown at San-Louis Pass every year. Spent allot of time fishing that area when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHUNTER View Post
1. Decided at last minute not to cross street with my sisters in case there was a car behind the right turning 18 wheeler. Hidden SUV went by at about 70 MPH. Me and both my sisters wouldnt be here to tell this story having I decided it was ok to cross.

2. Wading at San-Luis pass one day and fell into a 12ft gut. Waders filled up with water and I was swept away under water. stripped out of them at last minute under water and swam to surface after gulping a lot of water.
When you started talking about the UPS guys, it made me think of the fight scene in "Anchorman".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post
Was working for UPS at the hub by Harry Hines in Dallas.
I broke the unload record that week so the supervisor bought us a case of beer on that Friday (memorial day weekend). I had a car and had 5 that rode with me to work so we used to go to a park across the street on Friday to have a beer and wait for others to get off work so I could take em home. A guy on my crew was sitting on the hood of his car when some dudes threw a beer bottle that missed him and broke his windshield. There was 4 of them and when he went over he asked for help and the idiot I was went with him. Well, this 4 turned into probably 14 (mexican motorcycle gang)as there were a bunch hiding out..........
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #66
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

When I was 16, I was driving my motorcycle through my small hometown to go mow my grandads yard. A truck did not see me coming and pulled out in front of me. I t-boned him and flew over the handles of my motorcycle and hit the side of the truck with the top of my head. Luckily I had on my helmet, otherwise it would have been a worse deal for me. I only ended up with some stitches, a headache, and some bruises.

I was going 27 MPH, the speedometer was stuck there after the accident. Never been on a motorcycle since and I plan to keep it that way.

Funny part of the story is that after it happened, a lady called my mother to let her know I had been in an accident, but she could have chosen her words a little better. She told my mother, "I am just calling to let you know that Shawn has been run over by a big truck."
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #67
WoodlandsRoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County, all over

Was Thanksgiving break 1999 & headed home to Spring from SHSU & was riding my dirtbike back near a creek. On the way back home I would have to cross one normal road and go down it half a mile to get back to my parents house. I was going down it and had to stop before turning left as cars were coming from the other direction. While stopped for a few seconds a 78 year old man in a suburban driving 50 mph hit me from behind, said he never saw me, on a big orange KTM 250 wearing a bright orange helmet. Upon impact the bike flipped strait into the air and I went through his windshield, helmet split in 2 and when he slammed on his brakes I flew back off and landed in ditch 35 ft away. Whats crazy, is I was in shock and actually tried to get up after bc somehow a crazy chow dog had seen the wreck and attacked me while I was laying in ditch. Luckily a woman in a mini van had seen the wreck and pulled over calling 911 and had a broom in back of her car she started hitting the dog with to get him off me...so I had just gotten hit by a truck, then attacked by a **** dog at same time! I ended up blacking out for a few min. Was rushed to the hospital and stayed 2 days w several minor injuries inclu fractured cheeck bone, sprained knee and dislocated shoulder & concusion. If I hadnt had my helmet on my head would have exploded upon hitting his windshield, but luckily I came out of it with no major long term injuries, although my college basketball coach wasnt too happy, was out for 4 months.
WoodlandsRoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #68
Cabela
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twztid View Post
Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it
Wow!
Cabela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #69
huntman933
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto/ Meridian

Wow some amazing stories!!!
I worked in a chemical plant in 1982 and was in a huge explosion! I died and went to heaven. I went through the whole out of body experience and watched myself fly through the air. I had 320,000 pounds of pressure blow up under me!! God talked to me and I talked to him. Heaven is for real because I have been there. I couldn't talk about it for a long time. I have some pics of the plant after the explosion and where I was standing. I have never been the type to preach about Jesus and God but it's real !!!!! This is a long story that I tell people when I talked about the whole explosion.
scheduled 80 cast iron that reduced the pipe size for reaction.

The place I'm standing is where I was at when the explosion happen. The pipe exploded underwater in the trench where I'm at. It was a reaction chamber and cooled the pipe down. We had a bad batch of acid come in on rail car that caused the whole thing.
huntman933 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #70
Cabela
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
I was diagnosed with cancer and given approximately 2 weeks left to live. That was in 1991.
Love hearing stories like yours with your results. Congrats sir!
Cabela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #71
clintb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county

18 yrs ago in a head on collision . they (woman who hit me) doing 80mph. Me doing 75. They did not make it. I was dead one minute and alive another TWICE ( thanks EMTs) they saved me. 27 broken bones and a nice stay in the hospital. Im alive today thanks to the EMTs. One of the EMTs working the scene was a very good friend of mine. I was so messed up he did not even know it was me until DPS told my name over the radio. I got lucky.

another time was trying to teach my 1st ex proper way of target shooting with my old 30/30. She pulled the trigger while barrel very close to my head. To this day, i truely believe her intention was to shoot me and a perfect scenario for an accident claim. She ran off with another man 2 months later.
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #72
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Mothers day 2009...Bad motorcycle wreck. Laid the bike down in front of a truck. No helmet. Care Flighted to Baylor with a fractured pelvis and other injuries. Here was the thread.......

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=humper

Rereading this thread put a big smile on my face seeing the many thoughts and prayers that came my way during this bad time. I was, and am truely blessed to have so many friends here on Texasbowhunter.com.

Thank you for bringing this up.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #73
PlastikBulletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
Was Thanksgiving break 1999 & headed home to Spring from SHSU & was riding my dirtbike back near a creek. On the way back home I would have to cross one normal road and go down it half a mile to get back to my parents house. I was going down it and had to stop before turning left as cars were coming from the other direction. While stopped for a few seconds a 78 year old man in a suburban driving 50 mph hit me from behind, said he never saw me, on a big orange KTM 250 wearing a bright orange helmet. Upon impact the bike flipped strait into the air and I went through his windshield, helmet split in 2 and when he slammed on his brakes I flew back off and landed in ditch 35 ft away. Whats crazy, is I was in shock and actually tried to get up after bc somehow a crazy chow dog had seen the wreck and attacked me while I was laying in ditch. Luckily a woman in a mini van had seen the wreck and pulled over calling 911 and had a broom in back of her car she started hitting the dog with to get him off me...so I had just gotten hit by a truck, then attacked by a **** dog at same time! I ended up blacking out for a few min. Was rushed to the hospital and stayed 2 days w several minor injuries inclu fractured cheeck bone, sprained knee and dislocated shoulder & concusion. If I hadnt had my helmet on my head would have exploded upon hitting his windshield, but luckily I came out of it with no major long term injuries, although my college basketball coach wasnt too happy, was out for 4 months.

I actually lol'd about the dog. I can just see it happening in my head. Out for a fun day dirt biking, get ran over by old guy, chow dog bites your feet and then bigfoot comes and carries you away.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #74
BIG D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Zavala County

Got caught in a rip current off the coast of Cancun. There were several of us and I think we all thought it was over. Very scarey.
BIG D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #75
KHoes203
Ten Point

Loading an 800 pound gun safe took it down the loading ramp on a pallet jack the front wheels hit the end of the ramp the pallet shattered and the safe came forward onto my buddy and I luckily we squeezed out before it hit the ground.
KHoes203 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #76
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfinger View Post
Viet Nam '70/'71. Too many to count. Just glad I made it home.

Doug Key
Thank you sir, I have plenty of friends that went through the same ordeal.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #77
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I'm glad to see all of you with us today on the green screen. Reading these stories brought back my experiences clear as day and choked with a bit of anxiety...so I will keep it semi short.

Hit a truck that pulled out in front me (I had a green light) going 55 and I didn't even have time to apply the brakes. I was 18 driving a small card and on my way to work that morning. The impact pushed the entire front end all the way into my knees. Concussion, stitches to the head, neck injury and right back shoulder injury which still kills me to this day...just turned 36.

Getting stabbed in a big brawl along my rib cage and behind my ear. I thought I was getting the best of of this guy during the fight knocking his teeth down his throat and folding his nose across his face....I was wrong. I got off him when he was finished and I felt wet from my face and all the way down my leg. I was soaked in blood and didn't even know I was stabbed till I lifted up my shirt. It took 20 staples to put me back together and carry a huge scar to remind me everyday that I'm one lucky sob.

I got in a skirmish with a piece of crap gang member at a gas station in southwest Houston back in my teen years. He started flashing gang signs (I hated gangs) and said he was a cholo. I said F cholos and figured me and my buddy who was with me were in for a good scrap. He runs back to his car with his buddies and that's when I knew something wasn't right. I jump in my car, throw it in reverse and when I look up, I see the piece of crap running towards my car with a pistol. I throw it in drive (freakin second gear!!!) and floor it. I lower my head and all I hear are gun shots at point blank range. Pop pop pop pop pop and on and on. I'm just knowing any second I'm going to feel one hit me. Finally the gun shots let up. I pull over a few miles down to inspect the car and the passenger side is riddled with big bullet holes....12 to be exact. Not sure how one of us didn't get popped.

I got a couple more...some other time.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-16-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #78
wes122984
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman933 View Post
Wow some amazing stories!!!
I worked in a chemical plant in 1982 and was in a huge explosion! I died and went to heaven. I went through the whole out of body experience and watched myself fly through the air. I had 320,000 pounds of pressure blow up under me!! God talked to me and I talked to him. Heaven is for real because I have been there. I couldn't talk about it for a long time. I have some pics of the plant after the explosion and where I was standing. I have never been the type to preach about Jesus and God but it's real !!!!! This is a long story that I tell people when I talked about the whole explosion.
scheduled 80 cast iron that reduced the pipe size for reaction.

The place I'm standing is where I was at when the explosion happen. The pipe exploded underwater in the trench where I'm at. It was a reaction chamber and cooled the pipe down. We had a bad batch of acid come in on rail car that caused the whole thing.
if you ever wanna share more, i would really like to hear the whole story. my closest friend also had a heaven experience.
wes122984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #79
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

fell asleep at the wheel with the cruise set on 70MPH. Went off the road where there was a cement barditch and when the truck hit the upslope of the barditch it vaulted the truck into an airborn role (dukes of hazzard style). The truck never hit a single wire on the barbed wire fence it went over. Truck flew 38 yards in the air and landed upside down on the banks of a stock tank out in the pasture. When I came to I was in the floorboard of the front passenger seat (no seatbelt and that happened to be the ONLY part of the top of the truck that wasn't smashed all the way down to the top of the seats head rest). There was gas spraying inside the truck through the dash and I knew I had to get out. My only exit was through the back sliding glass window that was bent really bad (still don't know how I made myself fit through that tiny opening). Got through the opening and dropped down into the water and swam under the topside of the bed to get out. When I came up on the other side of the truck bed there was guy running down into the stock tank to help. They had seen it happen from a few hundred yards behind me. In their vehicle was himself (fireman), his daughter (nurse), and the pastor at their church all on their way to a revival. No way I was coming out of that without giving my life to the lord. That day he saved a soul before his "workers" ever got to the revival. I came out of it without a single broken bone or stitch in my entire body. Just a small part of the debt I owe back to the lord with my life.

Last edited by Codie; 02-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #80
12 point
Ten Point

When I was a teenager, I loved to climb the tallest trees I could find in my area. There are some really good sized cedar trees in about a 10 acre spot. I regularly climbed them, but one day I decided to climb even higher and one of the limbs broke that I was standing on. I fell about 20 feet and landed on my back right in the croch of the two trunks. I laid there for a few minutes (I think) and was concerned that I had broken bones, but thankfully didn't. I was very sore for a while.

I was almost kidnapped when I was around 11 years old. I lived in the city and was real proud of the new bicycle that I had bought with my own money. It was my first time to ride the bike, as a childhood illness had prevented me from riding for a week or two after purchasing it. My family knew how much I wanted that bike and went and picked it up at the store, while I was ill. Anyhow, when I was out riding the new bike, I noticed a man with a restored 60-something Camaro. It was painted red with white stripes running from the front to the back on the top. The man driving the car was stopping at the nearby houses and was going door to door on foot. If he was asking the people to buy something, they weren't interested, because he never stayed long at any of the houses. After he had finished going door to door at all those houses, he saw me on my bike and stopped to talk with me. He said he was selling pencils and asked if I wanted to buy some. I was near the passenger door and was having to talk to him with the passenger window rolled down. He kept insisting I buy something, even though I said no thanks. After that, he reached across the front seat and opened the passenger door and tried to coax me a little closer to see the pencils in a box on the floorboard. There were definitely pencils there, but just as I was backing up, he lunged at me and tried to grab my arm and pull me in. I never got close enough for him to reach me, but he still tried. When his attempt failed, he slammed the door and sped away in the car, never to be seen again. I may not be typing this today if he had been able to grab me and pull me in. I did grab several rocks and began throwing them at his car while he was pulling away. After he sped away I told some people standing outside what had happened and they looked at me like I had said nothing at all.
12 point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #81
Miodetx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bell County

I've had 3 close calls with death. In 1990, I lived on the East Coast & was a professional dog trainer. I was coming home from Upstate New York from running field trials, I lost eyesight immediately & lost consciousness about 10 seconds later. I had a wreck of course, when the ambulance got there, they were unable to get a pulse & no blood pressure. I woke up on the way to the hospital. It took the Dr 3 days to find out what happened. They found I had an ascending aortic aneurysm. I was flown to Wake Forest University for emergency surgery with less than 10% survival rate. It was a 9 hr surgery, & obviously I woke up. The second time was 1998 where I was diagnosed with endocarditis, bacterial infection of the heart. I was on 3 of the most powerful antibiotics for 4 mos. I was on IV's for 4 mos. Again, I made it. Then, Dec 27th, 2011, I had to go to the emergency room. They found that I had another aneurysm in the arch of my aorta. I had a 7 hr surgery on Jan 3rd to repair it. They packed my lower body in ice packs because there wouldn't any circulation going thru my lower body. they could only hook up heart/lung machine to go to my brain. I woke up again. God has been good to me.
Miodetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #82
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Well not counting the plane I was in the Navy that cought fire while over some large body of water in the Med. I was in "Target Masters" in Dallas a couple years ago, when the roof and walls caved in.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #83
Chad C
Pope & Young

Twice.

Both instances were at the ranch and involved an ATV.

I was in to big of a hurry and...

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #84
Mouse
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo/Big Lake/Datil NM

Fell out of the back of a pickup at 30 MPH when I was 13. Hit by a train when I was 25. He obviously has a plan for me. When the train stop about a half mile from impact. I was hanging out the passenger side window and my feet were tangled in the seat belt. It kept me from falling out. Blood all down the door and front of the train. A little plastic surgery and home by 5pm.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #85
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
You're a very brave person and I admire you greatly for what you've been through and what you've done since then.
Well I appreciate those kind words. Thank you! I just think it's path God had paved for me!
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #86
Aggiehuntress
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

My brush with death was about 9 year ago. Was in a relationship with a dirt bag, my birthday gift that year was him detoxing in the bedroom. It is hard to leave when you are that deep, I was truly worried he would kill me if I tried. He had already dilocated my elbow 1 month prior to my almost death. I had decided to leave, that I was done and wasn't going to put up with any of it any more. Well, I came home that night to tell him I was done and he apparently was back on the ICE (a form of crack) he had been doing, was talking to the smurfs in the woods and shooting at them. I tried to just leave but he would not let me. I ran for the truck, as I was climbing into the seat he slamed the door on my leg then ripped me out of the open window. once I hit the ground I started trying to get under the truck. He took the 243 and stuck it under the truck and shot. The bullet hit about 3 inches from my face and lucky for me did not bounce!! He started yelling at the smurfs again and walked over to the tree line abut 20 yards away. I bolted and was able to drive away. I never went back. He is now in Huntsville prison for his third strick. I did not even know he had one strick let alone was on parole. The things people can hide is scary.

Well lucky for me I have found a wonderful man that takes great care of me, pays our bills and does not do drugs. I love you Honey bear!!!
Aggiehuntress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #87
NannySlayer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miodetx View Post
I've had 3 close calls with death. In 1990, I lived on the East Coast & was a professional dog trainer. I was coming home from Upstate New York from running field trials, I lost eyesight immediately & lost consciousness about 10 seconds later. I had a wreck of course, when the ambulance got there, they were unable to get a pulse & no blood pressure. I woke up on the way to the hospital. It took the Dr 3 days to find out what happened. They found I had an ascending aortic aneurysm. I was flown to Wake Forest University for emergency surgery with less than 10% survival rate. It was a 9 hr surgery, & obviously I woke up. The second time was 1998 where I was diagnosed with endocarditis, bacterial infection of the heart. I was on 3 of the most powerful antibiotics for 4 mos. I was on IV's for 4 mos. Again, I made it. Then, Dec 27th, 2011, I had to go to the emergency room. They found that I had another aneurysm in the arch of my aorta. I had a 7 hr surgery on Jan 3rd to repair it. They packed my lower body in ice packs because there wouldn't any circulation going thru my lower body. they could only hook up heart/lung machine to go to my brain. I woke up again. God has been good to me.
Holy moly!! I have never heard of anyone surviving from a AAA!!! You are blessed!
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #88
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Some tough folks on here..

Have had a few, and the worst one is really hard to share so I wont here. Forgive me..

Had some pretty close calls at work though. Had a burglar trapped in an old gas station at night back in 95. I couldnt see him, but he could see me.. He tried to shoot me several times, but the stolen gun he was using had some bad ammo in it and it kept misfiring (we later found this out). Ended up chasing him into a nearby house he didnt own and it didnt end well.

First on scene at a really bad house fire, ran in and tried to help an elderly couple out before FD got there. Made it out with the woman, but was overcome trying to get the man. I truly thought I was about to die and to this day I really dont know how I crawled out to fresh air. I just dont. They both died.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #89
trjones87
Pope & Young

probably last weekend.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=268425
trjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #90
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

'94 I just got to the chemical plant to fix a training computer that was down. I had a late flight and a long drive from the airport. I figure out where I'm supposed to be. Get the the CS and as the blast door closed behind me and boom I get knocked to the ground. As I try to get up, there were several more explosions knocking me to the ground. I had just walked by the control center and tank farm trying to find the CS the computer was in. Three guys didn't make it where I had just walked through.

Last edited by Dejashoot; 02-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #91
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Which time? Fell through the chimney hole on the third floor to the first floor of a condo we were building. Fell 30 feet from a tree house when young. Hit a dog on my Goldwing and pitched me off.
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #92
Clintbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the world!

I have had two (2) experiences where I thought I was going to die. Both were in Africa. The first time I was kidnapped and held for ransom by a camel jockey near the pyramids. I was 18 years old and visiting there with my brother. We thought it would be fun to take a ride on a camel. My older brother paid the camel jockey. When it was my turn, we headed out into the Sahara Desert and when we were out of sight of my brother and taxi driver he grabbed my leg, flipped me upside down, started whipping the camel, and told me "you give me money or I not take you back"! We must have gone a half mile or more over sand dunes and a fast pace. My back was breaking pounding up and down on top of that camel. I gave him almost all my money before he slowed the camel down and released my leg. He had several knives on him. I was in shock and thought he was going to kill me.
The second time was in Zimbabwe. I was hunting with a friend and had become separated from the main hunting party. I was not allowed to have a gun with me since I was not hunting at the time (Zimbabwe law). We were hiking without any water and were about seven (7) miles from the land rover when my government guide grabbed me by my mouth from behind. I thought he was going to rob me, but he was covering my mouth to keep me quiet because a pride of lions was about 25 yards from us. He then loaded his 1913 Austrian built .308 Steyr bolt action rifle. Using that 3 shot gun on a pride of lions is like the proverbial "knife at a gun fight" situation. It scared the living _____ out of me. He said just keep moving and don't look at the lions. On the way back to the truck, I passed out from heat exhaustion. I had been hiking that day for 6 hours with no water. Our guide had run out of water due to shortages in supply (a typical situation for Zimbabwe) and I was not about to drink the chocolate colored water they were pulling out of a well. I spend the next 2 days drinking beer and rum instead of water because I knew it wasn't contaminated. Scary times in the Dark Continent.
Clintbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #93
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Afghanistan, 2004. It is still difficult to put words to it.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #94
DS_1974
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
Small world. I played baseball at Sam during that time. If you were on the basketball team, I probably know you
DS_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #95
DXT Steve
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I was riding a waverunner next to my my cousins boat.He was pulling another cousin on a knee board. My (now ex-wife) was on the front of the boat so I thought I would be funny and try to splash her. I didn't realize that my cousin didn't see me and he turned right into me. I went under the boat as the waverunner shot out. The boat was only a 16 foot aluminum with a 35 HP. As he hit me, I remember being stuck to the bottom of the boat and screaming under water waiting for the prop to hit me. He immediately threw the boat into neutral and then reverse causing the motor to fly out of the water as I passed out the back. I was in complete shock when they pulled me from the water with only a badly bruised arm where the front of the boat struck me.
DXT Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #96
Clintbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the world!

After reading all these posts, I just want to say I'm glad everyone made it through some tough times. And a particular thanks to all the soldiers out there! Thanks for our freedom!!!
Clintbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #97
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

My Department was called to a Mutual Aid structure fire in 2006. Being the middle of a weekday both Departments were short handed (Volunteer). The fire was burning in an upstairs attic of a large home. A guy from the other Department and I were upstairs trying to get it undercontrol and had been fighting the fire for about 15 minutes when his low air alarm sounded. We made our way back downstairs and outside were I removed my helmet, hood and mask just in time to see the entire roof collapse on the end of the house where we been about 2 minutes before that. I am sure glad he was breathing harder than I was, probably saved my life.
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #98
yazoomike
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

Four wheeler rode me West of Ozona near Sheffield. Lacerations, broken neck, broken thumb, and hambergered face. I don't remember much but after a trip to Big Lake hospital and then the 6 1/2 hour ride home I hurt like *-*-.
yazoomike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #99
Centraltexan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Burnet County

When I was two years old at the local pizza hut, I jerked away from my mother to go inside, well about the time I was crossing the parking lot, there was a lady cruising through looking for her boyfriend hit a speedbump. That was me!! The car somehow knocked me over and ran my leg over. Bones were sticking out of my leg in a couple different places. My mother had to take me to hospital 60 miles away.
Centraltexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #100
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Growing up in S.Dallas, every day was bad.

In 1980 I was BIG into scuba diving. Was at Possum Kingdom one weekend when we saw a boat go down. Rushed over and picked up 3 people out of the water. They said there was one more in the boat. I slammed my gear on and hit the water. Found the other person and did the buddy breathing thing until they calmed down. Being it was only 30ft of water, I took my tank off for them to use going up. I took a deep breath and handed it over. I didn't realize my foot was hung in some boat rigging. They took off and I was stuck. Friend of mine hit the water when I didn't come up with them and got me. I bought an octopus rig after that!
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top