Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #301
antiparadigm
Four Point

2015, went hiking in the Smokies. Three day hike was harder than we anticipated. Got all sweat drenched on day two (four miles uphill) by the time we reached top of Sliders bald, sun was setting (this was mid April in Tennessee...) And the temperature dropped 35 degrees. A cold wind ripped across the top of the mountain and I started shivering from the inside out, despite having a hot bowl of noodles for dinner. I laid in my 0 degree sleeping bag for about 30 minutes shivering uncontrollably. Finally it clicked (brain wasn't working well) that I was getting hypothermia and it wasn't getting better. First thing I did (which had I not known could have killed me) was strip bare *** naked, then snuggled back into my sleeping bag. Shivering stopped after about an hour. I had burned through so many precious calories shivering all night I was trashed the next day for a 11 mile down hill hike, but I was alive.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #302
jmac24
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

So I have spent quite a few hours reading all of these post and a couple of things stand out: 1) Thank you to all of you who have served and protected the rest of us and 2) I will never own a motorcycle.

Closest I ever came was having a 44 mag pointed at me, but it was the guy about 15 feet from me he was looking wanting to kill.

Second time was me and some buddies were out all night in New Orleans and headed home about daylight. Buddy was driving his Porsche and I decided to go asleep. So did my buddy.. from the tire tracks, we spent about 150 yards going through the median , came out of that turned around backwards and went into a Christmas tree farm called Santa's Forest. Lucky for us, all of the trees were about 4 ft tall because we wiped out a few. I woke up looking up at the traffic passing by above us... We all walked away without a scratch.
jmac24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #303
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

In all seriousness, I've had more than i can remember. I've had a bow and arrow drawn on me from 10 ft away by a psycho, apparently. Dad and i crashed a 6 seater mooney. Had a tree land on a dozer i was operating when i was around 13, barely missing me in the cab. Numerous 4 wheeler accidents that i survived because it was my drinking days and i was loose and nimble(those days are long over). But best of all, I've survived almost 5 years of marriage so far. There's lots of near death experiences in that alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #304
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Had a crazy dude throw a 12" butcher knife at my head from about 12 feet away. I leaned to my right as my brain processed in slow motion that it was a knife coming at my head from a short distance away. He missed and it stuck in the wall about 2" deep and clanged out into the kitchen area, I fired twice almost simultaneously and hit him the in the chest between his nipples with the first shot and then somewhere where his neck meets his torso with the second shot (fast double tap). He was DRT (9mm with 147 grain HST). I have a clear conscience about it and was cleared by a grand jury a few months later. This was an on duty shooting that was in 2014.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #305
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
Had a crazy dude throw a 12" butcher knife at my head from about 12 feet away. I leaned to my right as my brain processed in slow motion that it was a knife coming at my head from a short distance away. He missed and it stuck in the wall about 2" deep and clanged out into the kitchen area, I fired twice almost simultaneously and hit him the in the chest between his nipples with the first shot and then somewhere where his neck meets his torso with the second shot (fast double tap). He was DRT (9mm with 147 grain HST). I have a clear conscience about it and was cleared by a grand jury a few months later. This was an on duty shooting that was in 2014.
whoa
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #306
dagdog
Six Point

Hunt In: Haskell county

Was in college and floating down the Guadalupe. Went over a waterfall and lost my tube. Got sucked under by the whirlpool hydraulic. Was under and could only see water and bubbles. Was out of air and got spit up to the surface. There were a lot of people yelling and trying to reach me. Got sucked under again. Water and bubbles. Finally my foot touched a rock and I pushed off of it. Came up just as my tube which had been circling in the current came around to me. Grabbed it and made it out. Folks were yelling at me asking if I was ok. Dumb drunk idiots I was with had no idea where I was or what had happened. Ended up with new friends.

Thankful to God.
dagdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #307
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I was thrown out of a car that was flipping end over end and spinning into a person's front yard and did not receive a scratch! The driver spent 3 days in intensive care as the car landed on him after it threw him out.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #308
TxSon1836
Four Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

I was about 5yrs old and broke my arm in two places requiring a full arm cast that went over my elbow up halfway to my shoulder on my upper arm. (the arm breaking is not the story but is relevant to it being a NEAR death experience) Fast forward a few weeks later and I was on a trip with Cub Scouts touring parts of DFW airport including aircraft maintenance hangars. We were in a Delta hanger and were going to tour the inside of the aircraft and had to climb a roll up set of stairs to access the plane. I was not watching where I was walking and fell through a crack between the platform and the aircraft. the only thing that prevented me from falling all the way down to the concrete below was my cast that kept my arm locked bent at 90 degrees and hooked onto the platform until a staff member was able to pull me back up.
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #309
PROUDREDNECK
Ten Point

Doctor said...you only have two months the most...

I killed the doctor and went to court, Judge gave me 30 years

That was close! does it counts???
PROUDREDNECK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #310
91cavgt
Ten Point

Too many times to count. Flipped a 4 wheeler on top of me at the top of 3rd gear when I was a kid, had a cousin yank my life jacket off and shove me under the water when I couldn’t swim(woke up on the shore coughing up water after my brother saved me), went sliding sideways at 70 mph across the top of huge ruts in a Hyundai Accent, did 96 mph in a Geo Metro. Too many close calls with head on collisions to count.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #311
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

My first chemical plant job was in a tank farm. Drainage was terrible after it rained and we would have to wade thru knee deep water to open tank valves and start/stop pumps. I was wading back to the road and I kept hearing a strange noise. Looked down and noticed the 480 volt extension cord that ran to the pump was sizzling every time the wave from me walking hit a cut in the wire.
Second was anaphylactic shock from over 50 fire ant bites on my arm. Heart stopped in ER and woke up to a room full of doctors and nurses.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #312
d1rich1
Ten Point

What a crazy interesting thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
d1rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #313
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Just made a joke to wife that her jeans have gotten skin tight- I’m still breathing
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #314
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Man! Some of these are hard to read.

I will add my insignificant stories.

I have had several, some I have forgotten. The one I remember most was on the top of the 210 Bridge in LC, La. A lady got drunk at a Christmas part and hit the middle divider, her car was on top of the divider. The bridge has a curve in it, we came around the curve, saw her and stopped to help, flashers on put out reflectors on road. Got her out of the car and as we walk in front of her car a speeder hit my car from behind and pushing it into hers, we had been standing there literally 10 seconds earlier.

Another, I was fishing on TBend with my dad and a friend of the family. I was 12 or so. The guy driving the boat wasn't very good, he was driving through some rotten trees and gassed the throttle instead of cutting it. We hit a tree hard, about a 10 ft section fell off the top, right in front of me just missing my head and knees. I remember seeing my dad going backwards, hitting the tree almost falling in. I do not know why I didn't fall forward, but I was upright the whole time. The guy driving ended up in the bottom of the boat behind me. If I had fallen forward, the tree would have no doubt broke my neck. I have always felt GOD had His hand on me.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #315
Pigpiggy
Six Point

Eating chicken from a Jack in the Box. And eating at Burger King. Both were a source from some of the worst food poisoning I’ve ever experienced. Felt like I might die from it. But Burger King won out. Caused extreme weakness and severe pain.
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #316
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

When I sent the wife this text and left the letter E off the last word. It was a close call for sure!

Why correct spelling is important.

Spelling is so very important. Think not?

Let me tell you friends that one simple spelling mistake--even a typo--can make your life hell.

I recently texted a short, message to my wife while I was away on a hunting trip, and I missed one small letter.

I wrote, "Hi honey, I'm enjoying and experiencing the best time of my whole life. I wish you were her!”
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #317
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
When I sent the wife this text and left the letter E off the last word. It was a close call for sure!

Why correct spelling is important.

Spelling is so very important. Think not?

Let me tell you friends that one simple spelling mistake--even a typo--can make your life hell.

I recently texted a short, message to my wife while I was away on a hunting trip, and I missed one small letter.

I wrote, "Hi honey, I'm enjoying and experiencing the best time of my whole life. I wish you were her!Ē
There goes another keyboard and monitor screen. You owe me
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #318
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I had the lymes disease one time and died 13 times in the hospital.

Or maybe not.

I'm not sure. Maybe I had the lies disease.

Or could have been the ketosis.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #319
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

My motorcycle days in Deer Park, doing wheelies down center street at 80 mph between cars......dont know how I survived those years...

2nd one was just a few years ago, riding a 650 Kawasaki prairie out of a deep river bed, with my son sitting on the front rack, hit a rut at the very top and over the top she came landed on top of my twice, threw my son over the ledge, bounced a few times and struck my BIL in the chest and rolled over him. I thought I killed my son, my BIL had cracked ribs and I was tore up from the floor up....after it was all over I ended up with a broken wrist.....and a vow to never do that again.
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #320
Pigpiggy
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I had the lymes disease one time and died 13 times in the hospital.

Or maybe not.

I'm not sure. Maybe I had the lies disease.

Or could have been the ketosis.
They gave you enough blood to fill two dozen elephants. How were you burning up that much blood? Bad piston rings or blown head gasket?
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #321
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdog View Post
Was in college and floating down the Guadalupe. Went over a waterfall and lost my tube. Got sucked under by the whirlpool hydraulic. Was under and could only see water and bubbles. Was out of air and got spit up to the surface. There were a lot of people yelling and trying to reach me. Got sucked under again. Water and bubbles. Finally my foot touched a rock and I pushed off of it. Came up just as my tube which had been circling in the current came around to me. Grabbed it and made it out. Folks were yelling at me asking if I was ok. Dumb drunk idiots I was with had no idea where I was or what had happened. Ended up with new friends.

Thankful to God.
We pulled a guy out that got swept under the falls coming out of Aquarena Springs one time.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #322
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
There goes another keyboard and monitor screen. You owe me
lol
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #323
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

One of my best friends handed me a "jammed rifle" to see if I could get the round out and he had his finger on the trigger and the safety off. As I grabbed it, it went off about 2 inches over my forehead. He wasn't pointing it at me when he extended it out - barrel was towards the sky. His finger hooked the trigger and it pivoted down as I pulled the stock.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #324
Cbb1722
Ten Point

My two were just close calls. One night turned west onto OSR from I45 headed home in the rain. Was doing 60 mph. My dad was in front of me a ways. OSR is a horrible road to drive on as it’s bumpy and holds water. It was 2am and I didn’t think of that. Halfway between Normangee and 45 I hit water and my truck starts hydroplaning. On top of that an 18 wheeler was meeting me in the oncoming lane and guess where my truck is headed...I let off the gas and the only chance I had was turn that wheel to the right ditch. Right before I could do that I caught traction again and got back in the right lane. Had it been 5 seconds later ida hit that truck head on.

Second one was headed back to bryan one night from coon hunting. Speed limit is 70 and I was coming around a down hill left bend in the road. As I’m coming around it my headlights light up a black brangus bull in the middle of the road. Too late to brake and I hit the oncoming lane to miss him. Luckily there wasn’t no one coming and I missed the bull. I called it into brazos county sheriffs department and told em that black sob is gonna kill someone if he don’t get off the road. Apparently two others had told them about the same thing before me and they already had a unit headed there. I passed him a couple miles later. Those both coulda ended badly if the worse happened. Especially the 18 wheeler
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #325
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Glad the Viet Cong couldn't fire the missiles very accurate.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #326
Creed Killer
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Ive had a couple close calls on the hwy but... this past year we went to Chicago.

So its our last day there and we are there with my wifes family. We were going to head to the airport and the Uber was going to cost like $120 for a 5-10 mile drive. So my mother in law looks up the train and its like $10 for everyone to go. When she told me her plan I knew we would be going through the bad part of Chicago and it was just getting dark. I wasn't excited but we took off and got on the train. As soon as I got on the train I was uncomfortable it was absolutely packed so I let my pregnant wife sit down and we were packed in there like sardines. We make 1 stop and just get back going and I have my back to the door when all the sudden I hear the doors kick open and people start yelling and theres a black man with a hood on leaning out the doors and I thought wow this guys about to kill himself... Then the train comes to a stop and he never jumped so all the sudden the dude turns to us and you cant see his face cause he has a hood on and he is just staring rocking back and forth with his hands in his pockets. My brother and sister n law were prolly 5 ft away from him and it was so jam packed I couldn't get to them. It is completely silent on this train, you could hear a pin drop and all of the sudden the lady sitting next to my wife calls the police on speaker and is saying "theres a idiot on this train holding it up blah blah blah" I looked at her and said ma'am please stop talking about 30 times at this point the man is staring her down... it is very intense inside this train car. The conductor shows up and jumps up in the train and says "somebody keeps opening these doors and they need to stop" the black man jumps right in his face and says "ill f*&%(&g shoot you" he never pulled his hands out of his pockets... then the black man jumps out of the train and runs off into the hood of Chicago. When we finally get to airport im thanking God he didn't shoot the place up and we ran into the conductor, he told us that was the first time in 30 years that had ever happened..... I will not be going back to Chicago anytime soon!
Creed Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #327
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed Killer View Post
Ive had a couple close calls on the hwy but... this past year we went to Chicago.

So its our last day there and we are there with my wifes family. We were going to head to the airport and the Uber was going to cost like $120 for a 5-10 mile drive. So my mother in law looks up the train and its like $10 for everyone to go. When she told me her plan I knew we would be going through the bad part of Chicago and it was just getting dark. I wasn't excited but we took off and got on the train. As soon as I got on the train I was uncomfortable it was absolutely packed so I let my pregnant wife sit down and we were packed in there like sardines. We make 1 stop and just get back going and I have my back to the door when all the sudden I hear the doors kick open and people start yelling and theres a black man with a hood on leaning out the doors and I thought wow this guys about to kill himself... Then the train comes to a stop and he never jumped so all the sudden the dude turns to us and you cant see his face cause he has a hood on and he is just staring rocking back and forth with his hands in his pockets. My brother and sister n law were prolly 5 ft away from him and it was so jam packed I couldn't get to them. It is completely silent on this train, you could hear a pin drop and all of the sudden the lady sitting next to my wife calls the police on speaker and is saying "theres a idiot on this train holding it up blah blah blah" I looked at her and said ma'am please stop talking about 30 times at this point the man is staring her down... it is very intense inside this train car. The conductor shows up and jumps up in the train and says "somebody keeps opening these doors and they need to stop" the black man jumps right in his face and says "ill f*&%(&g shoot you" he never pulled his hands out of his pockets... then the black man jumps out of the train and runs off into the hood of Chicago. When we finally get to airport im thanking God he didn't shoot the place up and we ran into the conductor, he told us that was the first time in 30 years that had ever happened..... I will not be going back to Chicago anytime soon!
WOW...Do you think he was on drugs or just mentally unstable?
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #328
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
I'm going to guess likely both.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #329
Creed Killer
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
man I really don't know. He had that hood on and his hands in his pockets.... all I kept thinking was im gonna have to cover my wife and this might be it for me cause that lady wouldn't shut her mouth. She was going on and on about how he was a idiot and didn't have a gun..... see here's the issue, in Texas there would have been several guns pulled and the threat would have been eliminated if need be. In Chicago you cant have a gun. When we got the doors closed and left a lady turned to me and said we should have tried to see if that man needed help and shut the doors, he wasn't trying to harm nobody. I looked at her and said we don't have issues like this in Texas. I was literally scared for my life and couldn't protect me or my family.
Creed Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #330
CEO
Ten Point

Wrecked my truck one night going around a curve. Looking at it the next day the cab is dented above my head. A road sign hit the cab and stopped an inch or two above my head. Would've split my wig if I hit it much harder.

Walking across a street in San Antonio about 20 yards from a curve. I look and no cars are coming, take one step onto the street and hear my cousin yell. I pivot on my foot and do a 180 spin out of pure instinct and this car that was hauling a** almost takes some leg hairs off. Some comic relief happened soon after. We get where we're going and I say, "Would've sucked to die today". My cousin puts that quote on Facebook with my first name. His phone starts going off with rude messages and a family fight brewing. A few months before that a cousin on his side of the family, with the same first name as me, was shot and killed in San Antonio.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #331
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Bowhunting in ND in the late 80's. Tried to cross a river that had frozen over. Well I made it about half way across and fell through catching myself with my armpits on the ice. Couldn't touch the bottom and the ice kept on breaking every time I would attempt to pull up on it. I ended up doing this for about 20 more ft till I could touch the bottom and get out. I was so exhausted and froze when I reached that river bank that if my buddies had not heard me hollering I would have laid there and died of exposure for sure. To this day I still can't do cold water showers or even swimming pools.
Dakota7493 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #332
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: Lovelady, Public Land

Wow, so many crazy stories. I'm glad that I never caught the motorcycle bug, thats for sure. I've had many a close call, from car wrecks to robberies etc etc, but the closest I ever came to dying was when I was 13.

I caught bacterial meningitis when it was going through Harris and Montgomery county. Parents didnt take me the hospital for 3 days because they didnt know the signs/symptoms. Thought I was there for 2 weeks but turned out it was 4 weeks. I went into a coma the 2nd day there and didnt come out until 2 weeks later. I'm allergic to penicillin so they had to give me some type of "super antibiotic" and apparently the panel of doctors had to convene every morning to decide if they thought I was going to live or not. Had they thought I wasn't going to survive, they were going to stop the antibiotic treatments because these were antibiotics that they keep in case of pandemics of drug resistant bacteria. Thankfully my body was responding well enough that they continued the doses. The particular strain that I had came with a 75% mortality rate and I walked out with no (verifiable) brain damage.
drogers6771 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #333
mjhunter82
Four Point

Hunt In: Realitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
Was the truck red?
Yes, red f350.
mjhunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #334
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Twice....should have 7 more but they better hurry!.....rolled my Camaro 35 years ago in a drunken stupor on I30 just east of Fort Worth when I was 20. Not a scratch. (Praise God no one else was involved). Next.....
Sitting on top of a 10' ladder in a live main switchgear basement using a greenlee vac to suck a rat through a 4" PVC underground conduit. It was full of water and when the water hit me it blew me off the ladder into the gear. Me and the gear were soaked. I just knew it was gonna blow but it didn't. Had to puke when I realized how close that was.
bakin7005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #335
HUNTIN HARD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Africa

This was 1991 buddy and I were out shooting coon, opossum, cats whatever we saw. I think I had a 22 and he had just gotten a 45 long colt lever action. Any way it was getting late so we drive into town to get something to eat, we order at the drive through and while we were in line he decided to take the gun the was still in his lap and put in the gun rack. Donít know what happened but right when he slid it in the gun went off busted out back glass my side window and huge hole in the side of his truck(couldnít hear for a week). Next day he came over and where i was sitting the bullet missed back of my head my an inch or two.
HUNTIN HARD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #336
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Lots of near death experiences driving a car and what not. As far as health none yet, but I'm at the age to have a problem any time. Thank the Lord for none yet.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #337
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

It's a long story with a lot of words, but basically I was inspecting a compressor the size of a sedan that was under about 25psi worth of pressure. Somebody didn't properly replace a safety keeper plate and a 36" diameter cast iron header blew out and hit me in the chest. The piece of iron weighed about 300lbs and was under pressure. I was knocked back about 12' and the chunk of steel landed at about 15' (per the safety man's report). I jumped up and walked it off while my boss called for an ambulance. I was HURT, but only had a bruised sternum, a cracked rib and an elbow that needed some stitches from the fall to the concrete. I ended up not going by ambulance, but rather drove myself to the hospital. My boss was a dumbass for letting that happen.

Now, this might not sound close to death, until you consider the fact that literally 2 seconds before it blew out I was bent over inspecting a seal and would have taken the shot to the head. I think it would have killed me.

Last edited by curtintex; 01-14-2019 at 08:25 PM.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #338
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I'm sure I have had more than I thought in rodeo and life but the one I remember most was in Snyder my Sophomore yr in college. In the short round I got on a Harry Vold bull they had just won a round at the NFR , Denver and Odessa. I was making a great ride when the guy opened the let out gate and he hipped himself at about six seconds. I got jerked down and that dude camped out on me, just like a pogo stick. He stepped on my chest, ribs, stomach, , hip, groin and finally my head ( pre helmet day) . The bullfighters, pickup men , whoever couldn't get him off me. Right before I blanked out I called out to God in my mind .. ( all of this is happening slow motion" I cried to God protect me I can't take anymore" I heard a voice and he said " Close your eyes and I will Cover you". I did and at that moment in all the Chaos my friend who was fighting bulls , gave up trying to get the bull off of me but just laid down over me. Before I went out I remember Chris say it's ok I've got you covered. " Greater Love has no man to lay is life down for a friend" God used Chris as a portal that night and saved my life. I should have died in that arena that night

Last edited by BrandonA; 01-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #339
Ryan81
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Thankfully nothing too serious in my short life. *knocks on wood*

Closest was when I was about 20 if I had to guess. I was on my way to work driving down a two lane blacktop. I came around a curve to find a 3/4 ton diesel in my lane heading straight towards me with probably 50 yards to spare. I hit the ditch (thankfully it wasnít a steep drop off and had about 20-30í from the fence).

I didnít spin out, lose control or even stop. I just kept on driving. I was more worried about being late for work at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #340
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Ten years ago I experienced a bilateral pulmonary embolism.
Blood clots from my left leg traveled to my right lung.
That was the most intense pain I have ever felt.
After things settled down, I found out that there is a 10% survival rate.

I still had Diane take me by the TBH open when I got out of the hospital.

Clint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #341
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Had bilateral pulmonary embolism in both lungs about 10 tears ago after knee surgery didn't go to dr for 4 days thinking I had just pulled something until I couldn't breathe anymore. Dr said we normally don't find these until the autopsy. Knew I was lucky so lucky had them again about 3 years ago after foot surgery. God was definitely looking out for me.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #342
ca1219
Four Point

Crash landing in a bush plane in Alaska. Talk about nerve racking and having to fly about an hour knowing that was in store. More skid marks were left other than on the runway!
ca1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #343
Geoff995
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I'm sure I have had more than I thought in rodeo and life but the one I remember most was in Snyder my Sophomore yr in college. In the short round I got on a Harry Vold bull they had just won a round at the NFR , Denver and Odessa. I was making a great ride when the guy opened the let out gate and he hipped himself at about six seconds. I got jerked down and that dude camped out on me, just like a pogo stick. He stepped on my chest, ribs, stomach, , hip, groin and finally my head ( pre helmet day) . The bullfighters, pickup men , whoever couldn't get him off me. Right before I blanked out I called out to God in my mind .. ( all of this is happening slow motion" I cried to God protect me I can't take anymore" I heard a voice and he said " Close your eyes and I will Cover you". I did and at that moment in all the Chaos my friend who was fighting bulls , gave up trying to get the bull off of me but just laid down over me. Before I went out I remember Chris say it's ok I've got you covered. " Greater Love has no man to lay is life down for a friend" God used Chris as a portal that night and saved my life. I should have died in that arena that night
Did you go to western Texas College?
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #344
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Iím not sure how close I was to death but I scared the heck out of my parents.

I was probably close to 4 years old when our canoe flipped over in a river in Arkansas. When my parents came out of the water they frantically started looking for me and I was nowhere to be found. Once they flipped over the canoe there I was holding onto one of the metal rungs.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #345
CP121
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

We were headed home on 20 from Midland and a drunk came flying over a hill going the wrong way. Thank god I was in the right lane and he was in the left, unfortunately a suv a mile or so behind me wasnít so lucky.

http://www.newswest9.com/story/32764...howard-county/
CP121 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #346
Jon B
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I had been a cop for 15 months. I thought I was a drug hound. Made a BS stop on a **** car leaving a crack house. Got up to the window and it was obvious that they were carrying dope. I asked the driver to get out and speak with me. At the same time I get a message from dispatch to secure my mic. I say standby and the driver asks why he needs to get out. I make a smart mouth comment about pulling him out and he looks at the gearshift. Being young and dumb I reach in and grab him. He throws it in gear and stomps the gas. I get slung along side the car but couldn't let go. I look up to see him about to use a telephone pole to wipe me off the side of the car. I remember looking down and watching the road moving under my boots like I was skiing. I remember thinking man this is bad. I decided that if I let go I might die but if I hit the pole I will die. I let go and my feet seem to stick to the ground. I slam down on my chest and hear a horrible sound. I felt pressure on my right leg and I start rolling. I came to rest 15 yards away against a no parking sign. I don't know if I slowed enough or my vest kept me from breaking my back. Each time I rolled I saw a big guy standing where the car was. I kept thinking he was going to get to me before I could get up. I rise to my feet and point my gun at him and prone him out as I am covering the distance back to him. He cooperates and I put him in hand cuffs. While I am on top of him, I reach back and touch the back of my right thigh and feel a nasty bulge. There is a piece of skin with a huge knot on my thigh. It felt so unreal. I started to hyperventilate and in the dashcam my color went from bright red to dull gray. I got dizzy and fell off of the guy. Somehow got him stoodup and moved to my car. He was the passenger and got out when I told the driver to exit. I hauled him to the PD and a retired officer "Hippy" is there and helps me into the jail. The medics meet me at the jail and after taking a look at me and condition decide that I am riding the box to the hospital. It turns out the car was stolen. This is what dispatch was trying to tell Officer **** and Vinegar. The driver was a three time loser on parole. He ran me over and tried to run over two cops that tried to spike his tires. He was chased about 20 miles and pitted three times. We ended up across from each other in the emergency room. I had some road rash on both forearms a sprained ankle and a nasty hunk of meat protruding from my leg where the car went over it. The tire tread pattern was transferred to this spot. It remained visible for a couple years. I walked out of the hospital that afternoon all bandaged up and limping. The worst feeling was making the concious decision to let go of the car as it sped away. I remember that telephone pole and the video made his intent very apparent. He was charged with three counts of attempted capital murder, UUMV and Evading in an MV. I have a couple more but this one really hit home. I changed my Policing style shortly thereafter. I honestly think that was first time I had faced my own mortality. The debate I had with myself while being dragged by that car (might die/will die) is as clear and real 8 years later as it was in that moment.

Last edited by Jon B; 01-15-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Jon B is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #347
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

Sank my boat on Lake Livingston June 18th 2016. My son Clay, Daughter Ryanne, my wife and her friend were with me. We went down about 150 yards off shore and we were all separated. Clay swam to shore, and Ryanne was rescued by a family on a Pontoon boat. My wife was rescued by 3 other boats of witch 2 of those also sunk. I got a hook in my side that was also hooked to the anchor rope. I was in the water for 45 min trying to get the hook out so I could swim away from the boat. No matter how hard I pulled I couldn't rip the hook out. We all made it by the grace of God.

I'll let my son Clay tell his own story one day. He's had a close call or two.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #348
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

while my friend and I were swimming in the Gulf around Destin, Florida, about 9 yrs old. Got carried out by undertow. Luckily, my parents were on shore watching and Mom was screaming, then a couple guys on the beach jumped in and rescued us ... scariest thing in the world.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #349
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
Did you go to western Texas College?
No sir Howard in Big Spring
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #350
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Just before Christmas 1995. My wife@thetime and our best friend couple were going to do some Christmas shopping in Ft. Worth and have dinner. Did that and on the way back home both of the wives decided that they wanted to have a drink at the small local watering hole. The husbands were kinda against it since we had plans to go duck hunting the next morning and it was already getting late. We went anyway. We had a few and as we were leaving, my wife@thetime hears someone hollering at her. She's from there and knows everyone so I thought nothing of it and continued to the truck. A minute later I hear her hollering that "oh yeah, I'll whip YOUR ***". I dash over to see WTH is going on and there's some drunk dude in a running truck jawing with her. I decide that he was out of line and reach through the open door to jerk him out of the truck and let him know how I feel. As I do, he floors it and we take off backwards across the bar parking lot at a fairly high rate of speed. We sandwich me between his truck and the rear of another and as he pulls forward to get away he rolls over my left shoulder. Truck won't go so he bails and runs into the bar. Cops come for him & ambulance for me. I end up with 7 broken ribs, punctured lung, bruised heart, torn cartilage in my hip, elbow, & shoulder and a coupla broken fingers. There's nothing quite like the feeling of having your chest cavity so full of air that it won't let your lungs work. When that ER doc cut between those ribs and through the side of my chest wall, it sound like you stuck a knife in a car tire....and it felt SO good. Three months later I was as good as...used.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top