Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Power Lifters

Question for those that do Olympic style lifts. I recently added to my weekly regime a trip to the back yard with my Olympic bar and weights for some good old fashioned clean and jerks/clean and presses. They are not bumper plates and are tearing up my grass something awful and of course if it has rained I cant even do it.

I want to buy bumper plates so I can do these exercises in the driveway to avoid tearing up grass or not being able to when it has rained. Question is since I have a double Olympic set already all metal can I get away with just buying two 45's as bumpers and using my metal weights stacked on the side since they are smaller they wouldn't touch the ground. Will the metal weights tear up the bumper weights?
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
chongo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

I use a combo of both in my garage and haven't noticed any issues. However, I have stall mats in place, I don't drop on the concrete.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
Hooverfb
Eight Point

I've done that before. As mentioned, main thing you'll want is a mat do you're not destorying the concrete or your metal plates.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
JSAPP
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca Co.

It'll work just fine
JSAPP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Every body knows that weight benches belong in the front yard.
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. I cant believe how much they want for weights these days. Used to run 50 cents a pound and now more like a buck. This will save me a ton of cash from buying a complete set. I have a mat I can drag out into the drive way. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

I just did a read on Paul Anderson, a super strong country boy from Georgia in the 50's and 60's.. Strongest man on the planet.

Definitely worth it if you have time
knapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
My Fatherís Son
Nubbin' Buck

Like others already mentioned, mats will work for you. You can also build your own lifting platform if you have the desire. Search ďAlan thrall build platformíĒ on YouTube if youíre interested, I donít have enough posts here to share links apparently. That guy is a power lifter who makes pretty good videos with good info.
My Fatherís Son is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

Over time you may have an issue. I’d put smaller plates between the 45’s to keep them from pinching but the extra weight all resting on it will probably end up making it crack. I competed for years when I was in my 20’s. What kind of weight is the question. 150-200 lbs would probably be ok. Anything over that would mess them up in time. Just my thoughts.
Arrowslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
Over time you may have an issue. Iíd put smaller plates between the 45ís to keep them from pinching but the extra weight all resting on it will probably end up making it crack. I competed for years when I was in my 20ís. What kind of weight is the question. 150-200 lbs would probably be ok. Anything over that would mess them up in time. Just my thoughts.
I guess I should keep the weight factor in mind. Im 6 ft 4 245 lbs so plan on going at least 225 plus on a jerk in the near future. I can always buy more when I pass 200. Thanks