Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default TSA got me.

Worked a long day yesterday and got up at 3:30 this morning to catch a 6am flight out of SA. We were running late and i got to security with my favorite case pocketknife in my pocket. You would think that with TSA pre check a small pocketknife wouldnít be a big deal. I got to donate that one to TSA.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I did the same thing on an 0500 flight about a month ago. Just a $30 Gerber but I had that knife for several years and liked it. Of the 4-5 EDC's that I have it was the one most carried.

Worst was none of them would take it and I didn't have time to go back to my truck in the remote parking lot. In the trash it went.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

We was going on a flight my son was about 12 brought 3 case knife's they got mine too
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

yall can always buy your stuff back at auction.....

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...sa-at-airports
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Wife got caught with one in Dallas

They let her mail it back to herself, took about 6wks for it to show back up but it did

Maybe they felt sorry for her or things have changed?

For anybody wondering, it was her grandpa's and she keeps it in her purse. One of those tiny 3 blade Shrade ones
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

That sucks. You should read some of the stuff you can carry on. I was surprised to hear you can carry matches, Li-Ion batteries can come with, but can't be checked, a few other things hunting related I checked into that are allowed I would have never guessed.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

The last week or so they have been very touchy feely. More than I have seen in the past.
I just got back from Georgia on the 10th and TSA had their hands all over me and everyone else. Heightened security possibly for Sept 11th anniversary?
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
postman
Ten Point

Anyone ever try to get a thermocell insect repeller through? Went to Canada fishing didn't even try, but sure could have been handy to have. I was thinking with the little propane cyl. probably not.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Anyone ever try to get a thermocell insect repeller through? Went to Canada fishing didn't even try, but sure could have been handy to have. I was thinking with the little propane cyl. probably not.
I think they are specifically excluded.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:

About 5 years ago I took mine packed in my bow case with a bunch of the gas bottles
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

I did that once. They gave me the option of putting it in my vehicle.

I didn't have time to get back to the car so I hid it in a flower bed.

Picked it back up when I got back.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

What you meant to say is "I had a brain fart ... forgot to put my pocket knife in my checked bag ... and TSA did a fantastic job and caught it. It sucks that it was one of my favorite knives and I wasn't willing to pay to have them mail it back to me.", right?
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I made it from IAH to Orlando and back with a box of 22-250 in my carry on 2 months ago. Didn't see it tucked down in one of my pockets in my backpack till I got back home. I'll give the TSA an A-
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I made it through ABIA into Denver. Had a few hours between flights in Denver so went outside for a smoke. Going back through security they pulled 3 rounds of 30.06 out of my bino harness that I had in my carry on. They were surprisingly cool about it. Losing a nice knife would suck though.
Stoof is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Go on Ebay and buy another. I used to buy packs of 12 case knives for $50. Pretty sure the seller worked for TSA
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

I have a Craftsman 3/8openX7/16Box on my key ring that I found in 1977 when I joined the USAF. It's been with me all over the world. Had a TSA tell me that I could not have that. I said I work for this airline and I promise not to take the acft apart inflight. He's Supervisor correct him and I still have it. Now my Gerber....It's gone.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
dmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere

TSA Confiscated knifes and items are also sold to the public outright at the State Facilities office in Austin. It's off Bolm road. Some decent deals sometimes.
dmk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
John P
Six Point

There are boxes full of confiscated knives for sale at the gun shows.
John P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Derrik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zavala County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

This is what I have done in the past..
Derrik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I had one in my pocket and realized it as I was getting ready to go through the check station. I found a potted plant and hid it in there. When I returned from my trip it was still there.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default TSA got me.

Quote:

You can take the unit, but you have to buy the propane after you land at your destination.

I also donated a cheapie knife once because I didnít have time to go back to the car.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #22
Casey
Administrator

If you're flying through Terminal B in SAT, there is a little setup for mailing it back right there at the TSA precheck line.

I once gave one to the baggage guy out front as I realized I had it in my pocket. Fortunately, it was one that was easily replaced.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #23
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

A couple years ago I forgot I had a Glock 42 tucked in my waist band, only realize it once I had gotten in line. I had to call my sister in law and have her come back so I could put it back in the truck.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #24
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
What you meant to say is "I had a brain fart ... forgot to put my pocket knife in my checked bag ... and TSA did a fantastic job and caught it. It sucks that it was one of my favorite knives and I wasn't willing to pay to have them mail it back to me.", right?
I did not have a checked bag and i would have gladly paid to get it back. I was not given that option. Flight was already boarding and long term parking was a long ways away.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
yall can always buy your stuff back at auction.....

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...sa-at-airports
DaggitÖÖÖ..I did not know that. I have been hit for a very expensive multi-tool and a very nice knife over the years.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #26
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
I did not have a checked bag and i would have gladly paid to get it back. I was not given that option. Flight was already boarding and long term parking was a long ways away.
That's different ... I didn't see mention of that in the original post.
Still good to see that some of them are actually doing their job well.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #27
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I can't stand the TSA. It's just all for the illusion of security. Frisking old ladies and little kids and taking pocket knives from people that have carried them their whole life. Is that really the ones we are worried about? It's a joke. Plus, they miss just about everything BUT thank goodness they got that pocket knife off of you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#364392c12a38
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #28
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Last year I was carrying a pinata up to New York to celebrate my Appalachian Trail hike with a big group of hikers. I thought it would be funny showing up with a piŮata . I was was given a small bag from an acquaintance that I was supposed to give to a mutual friend who was currently hiking . At the last minute I realized there was a little knife in the bag so I stuck the bag in the pinata And then wrapped the piŮata in bubble wrap. I checked the pinata in assuming that I would probably get it smashed. When I picked it up in New York it was covered in tape with those notices that it had been inspected . The little bag with the knife was gone . I often wonder what they were thinking when that pinata came through And their disappointment when they opened it up and didnít find bricks of cocaine or marijuana. I also wonder why they took the little bag with a knife and often wonder if I wasnít given a bag with more than just a knife in it ????
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #29
KNP16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
Go on Ebay and buy another. I used to buy packs of 12 case knives for $50. Pretty sure the seller worked for TSA
I would love to find this deal!
KNP16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #30
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

I flew from Corpus Christi thru Houston to Alabama. Get to my hotel and found my leatherman type multi-tool in my computer bag. Cleared screening twice.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #31
TxSon1836
Spike

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I once flew from Memphis to Dallas to Seattle to BC, Canada with a Gerber Gator folding knife in my carry on freaked out in Canada when I found it and mailed it back. took almost 9 weeks for that package to show up. Glad it did though!
TxSon1836 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #32
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Done it a time or two - Once I tried to give the relatively cheap knife to a teenage kid. His mom evidently didn’t think jr should have a knife. Per her reaction I might as well been trying to give him a weapon of mass destruction.
StrayDog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #33
whitecrow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
I can't stand the TSA. It's just all for the illusion of security. Frisking old ladies and little kids and taking pocket knives from people that have carried them their whole life. Is that really the ones we are worried about? It's a joke. Plus, they miss just about everything BUT thank goodness they got that pocket knife off of you.
I trend more to this mindset. My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Alaska. I literally never had to open my gun case. Not once. Had to show them it was locked, but never opened it. It could've been full of hand grenades with the pins pulled for all they knew. At one of the security check points my wife's hands were scanned and they took her aside and had a female official get all sorts of personal and completely emptied her bags and what not. Turns out she had put lotion on her hands and it alerted the scan. They shrugged and said it happens all the time.
whitecrow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #34
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Now thatís clever!!
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #35
muddyz
Six Point

Waterfowl hunters you better not take your choke times in your carry on! They got my brand new A5 chokes on the way back from Canada.
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #36
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Quote:

Lol like the time I flew to Utah and had 4 rounds of 300WM in my bino harness. DFW TSA missed it, had a layover and TSA in Cali found it.
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #37
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
I made it through ABIA into Denver. Had a few hours between flights in Denver so went outside for a smoke. Going back through security they pulled 3 rounds of 30.06 out of my bino harness that I had in my carry on. They were surprisingly cool about it. Losing a nice knife would suck though.
Yeah they found a .22 round in my shirt pocket packed in my bag one time. Didnít act like it was a big deal at all. Sucked because I missed my flight though.
jkk831 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #38
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

I have gotten to the security check to starting emptying out into the bins for the xray check and had my moore maker pocket knife my dad gave to me with my name engraved in it. I grabbed my stuff and ran back to the bag check and the lady running the counter ran to the back brought me my bag and let me put it in there. My bag and my knife both made it home without delays.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #39
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mauriceville

Happened to me in Houston a few years ago. I was carrying my favorite knife. They let me use a fedex kiosk to mail it to myself. It cost about $30 which is b.s. but I still have my knife.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #40
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

My buddy was in town from Connecticut for a week. We shot alot of guns while he was here. When he got home and changed clothes at his house, he emptied his pockets and had some live 17HMR rounds in his right pocket. Can't believe they didn't catch them.
TXHUNT3R is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #41
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
Lol like the time I flew to Utah and had 4 rounds of 300WM in my bino harness. DFW TSA missed it, had a layover and TSA in Cali found it.
Mine was going in Houston on the return flight from Costa Rica, lol
jkk831 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #42
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

Name:  42D02476-1984-40D4-8B7C-3C12878E8561.png
Views: 251
Size:  143.4 KB

My wife has a tiny spyderco knife in her purse. I canít count the number of times she has passed TSA check and even customs twice. May just be that she is a 119 lb hot blonde with a sweet butt
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #43
skiguy327
Four Point

I was behind a woman in the Pre Check line who whipped out a pair of scissors from her purse and showed the TSA guy. They must have had 5in blades. He ****ing let her pass! Now Iím usually pretty mouthy and I must have been stunned because I normally would have had a few things to say about that when folks canít even bring a small pocket knife through security. I have no idea why she was allowed through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skiguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top