Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
TX03RUBI
Eight Point

Default Casper WY

Iíve been coming up to Casper for the past 4 years and spending close to a week at a time here for work. My days are usual somewhat casual, which leaves me with part of each day to wonder about or spend time fishing. Which I do love the fly fishing here I however have not been that impressed with what Iíve see as far as hiking scenery...... until today.

Iíve spent some time hiking on the front side of Casper Mountain, and while I enjoyed it I didnít think it was anything amazing. After work I spent the day going past the front side of Casper Mountain and back into the BLM territory behind it. Wow! I was stunned, some seriously beautiful landscape and features back there. Iím actually quite mad at myself that I havenít discovered this before. I think next trip Iíll come up a few days early at my own expense to spend more time wondering about.

So for those of you familiar with the area what else am I missing? Trails, lakes, etc? Anything that is a must see or do? Iím familiar with town, and the places to eat etc. By the way if you donít catch breakfast at Eggingtons at least once in your lifetime then youíre just wrong!
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Go fly fish fremont canyon and the miracle mile. Much better scenery out there. Take a drive up to Thermopolis and check out the wind river canyon. Great fly fishing there as well. Panchos off of Cy Avenue has great Mexican, especially their breakfast burritos. Ayres Natural bridge is cool to check out, it can have decent fly fishing. Hell’s Half Acre is close as well.

Last edited by Aggiehunter08; 09-13-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Go fly fish fremont canyon and the miracle mile. Much better scenery out there. Take a drive up to Thermopolis and check out the wind river canyon. Great fly fishing there as well. Panchos off of Cy Avenue has great Mexican, especially their breakfast burritos. Ayres Natural bridge is cool to check out, it can have decent fly fishing. Hellís Half Acre is close as well.
Second the miracle mile. Seminoe dam and the Shirley basin are right there as well.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
TX03RUBI
Eight Point

Iíve spent my share on the mile Iíll check out the rest though. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Dandy123
Eight Point

Hunt In: All over

We pass through Casper every year on are way to where we antelope hunt. We are a couple hours north we hunt right around the hole in the wall. Where ***** Cassidy and the hole in the wall gangs hung out during the winters. It's pretty cool to see they have a plaque telling the history and you can walk up through the pass they went through. It's not really a hole
Dandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

I love Wyoming/casper
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

I did one project in Casper. I thought it was the ugliest place I had ever been. That includes time spent in the primitive parts of Africa.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post
I love Wyoming/casper
This was not my impression, based on multiple trips to Casper for work 10 years ago.

Last edited by saintsfan; 09-14-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Sp
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #9
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Casper is a cool little town, but take a ride from there to Laramie, or at least Medicine Bow. Its rolling hills and mountains, red rocks, etc...beautiful country. I lived there for a summer, enjoyed every second of 50 every morning, 90 every day.

Or drive north to Sheridan, and hang a left at any point along the way, and drive up into the bighorns. Can't ask for better views. And no cell service, and rarely will you hear a plane fly over. It's amazing.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default Casper WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
This was not my impression, based on multiple trips to Casper for work 10 years ago.

Lol Iím sorry. Different strokes buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
MadHatter
Ten Point

Been going just out of Casper (natrona), for 31 yrs now Antelope hunting. Not a whole lot kicking there. Hell's half acre as mentioned, is worth the short trip out. Small outfitter shops in down town.
After hrs, go sneaking to the Beacon . Used to be our motto in camp lol. Some of those girls are in there 50's, and I first met them when I was 9, haha. Good old Casper, made a lot of memories there. I've always loved it for what it was, and never miss the trip, if I can help it.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
TX03RUBI
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Been going just out of Casper (natrona), for 31 yrs now Antelope hunting. Not a whole lot kicking there. Hell's half acre as mentioned, is worth the short trip out. Small outfitter shops in down town.
After hrs, go sneaking to the Beacon . Used to be our motto in camp lol. Some of those girls are in there 50's, and I first met them when I was 9, haha. Good old Casper, made a lot of memories there. I've always loved it for what it was, and never miss the trip, if I can help it.
Haha Iíve been to the Beacon a few times. I come up here to visit customers and attend an EOR conference rah September. The conference puts on a dinner at the Beacon one of the nights each year. I made it up there solo one time as well this trip. Some of them women are something else, and Iím not saying that in an entirely good way

Iím also pretty familiar with the guys over at the Ugly Bug downtown. Good groups of guys, and Iíve done a few trips with them so far. Theyíve put me on some dang nice bows!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Yep. I just used to go cruising on the highway exploring. One year I was driving out past independence rock and stumbledf into Devils Gate, where I got to see the Mormon camps and learned about the oregon trail and the mormon handcart trail/company. Pretty interesting stuff, and beautiful to boot. Check it out.

Alcova Wy - Martins Cove and Mormon Handcart Historic Site.
Independence Rock.

I fished with Ugly Bug before, good folks.
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top