Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo area
Default DIY Mailbox post

Well we had a college kid running from the cops drive through our front yard and run over our mailbox so I thought what a time for a new fun project
Attached Images

Houston4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

Looks good
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
axisguy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

I had the same thing happen a few years back. I decided on 3/4" steel plate welded on a piece of 6" pipe placed four feet in the ground. Then found a heavy duty steel mailbox. Still waiting for someone to hit this one.
axisguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I made these for my house and the neighbors.

Name:  mailbox16.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  15.2 KB
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisguy View Post
I had the same thing happen a few years back. I decided on 3/4" steel plate welded on a piece of 6" pipe placed four feet in the ground. Then found a heavy duty steel mailbox. Still waiting for someone to hit this one.
You know itís possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Letís hope in that case your mailbox doesnít cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin4D View Post
You know itís possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Letís hope in that case your mailbox doesnít cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.
Doesnít matter what I build my mailbox out of. Itís in no way, shape or form my fault if someone else runs into it, regardless of how much damage occurs. By your logic the state should be responsible for someone hitting a concrete overpass piling, the power company liable when someone hits a telephone pole and the rape victim is at fault for dressing slutty
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #7
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Quote:
What kind of ***** backwards logic is this? Its HIS property he can build it however he seems fit. Intentionally or unintentionally it shouldn't be hit at all. This is the problem with society right here. Let's blame the innocent person who's property got destroyed for the extra damage it did to a car that wasn't supposed to run into it in the first place...

Also accidents are ALWAYS someone's fault so if it gets hit then SOMEONE else is at fault whether directly or indirectly and no it's not the person who owns the mailboxes fault in any way shape or form.
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
Bjankowski
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

They will hold up; I made one like that 16 years ago for our lake house at PK... it's still doing it's job. Haven't had anyone run it over yet.
Bjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
Doesnít matter what I build my mailbox out of. Itís in no way, shape or form my fault if someone else runs into it, regardless of how much damage occurs. By your logic the state should be responsible for someone hitting a concrete overpass piling, the power company liable when someone hits a telephone pole and the rape victim is at fault for dressing slutty
Actually smart guy, it does matter what you build a mailbox out of. Straight from the USPS website:

Installing the Post

The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
Bury your post no more than 24Ē deep.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
What kind of ***** backwards logic is this? Its HIS property he can build it however he seems fit. Intentionally or unintentionally it shouldn't be hit at all. This is the problem with society right here. Let's blame the innocent person who's property got destroyed for the extra damage it did to a car that wasn't supposed to run into it in the first place...

Also accidents are ALWAYS someone's fault so if it gets hit then SOMEONE else is at fault whether directly or indirectly and no it's not the person who owns the mailboxes fault in any way shape or form.
Backwards logic? I donít think so..yours Is and his might be.
He said he built the mailbox the way he did, and is anticipating the result if a car hit it. Whether he wants satisfaction of knowing if the mailbox will hold up or the car will sustain a lot of damage I donít know.

How about a story to prove my logic is not backwards. I totalled a truck when I ran off the road and hit someoneís pipe fence bracing. I wasnít mad at them and did not blame them for it. It was necessary for them to have that pipe fence bracing. Itís not necessary to have a mailbox built that way and itís not suggested by the Federal Highway Administration either.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
I made these for my house and the neighbors.

Attachment 939708
Great job!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Actually smart guy, it does matter what you build a mailbox out of. Straight from the USPS website:

Installing the Post

The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
Bury your post no more than 24” deep.

That is only a "recommendation". I do not see in any way where it states a liability issue if someone were to run into my mailbox on my property. I do see where it would be in the interest of safety for vehicle passengers as a wooden post would give way much easier reducing the possibility for injury to anyone in a vehicle. But dose not place the blame of the mailbox owner for damages.

But then, I'm not a Texas attorney or practice law in any way or form, except on special occasion when representing my self. And even then I still sometimes use "legal counsel" for direction. Course I do believe I can sue or be sued for/by anybody for anything in this state (according to my studies and legal counsel).

I do highly suggest you consult with a Texas attorney on the matter. And not give "legal advice" over the internet, unless your a licensed legal attorney. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-30-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #13
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nice work Jason!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Quote:

Installing the Post

Bury your post no more than 24Ē deep.
Dang,according to your information everyone in our subdivision has a deadly mailbox! All the mailbox's the home builders built are brick are stone.Kind of makes me wonder why out of the hundreds of home's built with these mailboxes not one home inspector caught these death traps!!!
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
That is only a "recommendation". I do not see in any way where it states a liability issue if someone were to run into my mailbox on my property. I do see where it would be in the interest of safety for vehicle passengers as a wooden post would give way much easier reducing the possibility for injury to anyone in a vehicle. But dose not place the blame of the mailbox owner for damages.

But then, I'm not a Texas attorney or practice law in any way or form, except on special occasion when representing my self. And even then I still sometimes use "legal counsel" for direction. Course I do believe I can sue or be sued for/by anybody for anything in this state (according to my studies and legal counsel).

I do highly suggest you consult with a Texas attorney on the matter. And not give "legal advice" over the internet, unless your a licensed legal attorney. Just a suggestion.
Yes they recommend not building out of potentially dangerous supports like heavy metal pipes. You know, like common sense, which was the point of my original post.

I interpreted Axisguys post that he built his mailbox the way he did, in disregard to what could potentially happen to the other party involved. Im sure that is not the case, I apologize, but I still stand by my thoughts that itís not a good idea. Thatís all Iím trying to say.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

AND everyone is entitled to their opinion...
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes they recommend not building out of potentially dangerous supports like heavy metal pipes. You know, like common sense, which was the point of my original post.

I interpreted Axisguys post that he built his mailbox the way he did, in disregard to what could potentially happen to the other party involved. Im sure that is not the case, I apologize, but I still stand by my thoughts that itís not a good idea. Thatís all Iím trying to say.

Understood here . Your just thinking about the welfare/well being of vehicle passengers who have no control over the outcome of an "accident."

If Axisguy has had continuous problems with "malicious intent" and keeping his mailbox standing, I could also understand his thoughts on keeping a rigid mail box too.

Now, back to the OP's mailbox work...carry on.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
Dang,according to your information everyone in our subdivision has a deadly mailbox! All the mailbox's the home builders built are brick are stone.Kind of makes me wonder why out of the hundreds of home's built with these mailboxes not one home inspector caught these death traps!!!
The guy said he built the mailbox the way he did and ďis still waiting on someone to hit itĒ. I took that as if he will be happy he wonít have a rickety ol wooden, $75 mailbox to replace anymore, with disregard to what could happen to someoneís car or someone. Like I said though Iím sure that wasnít what he meant, hopefully.

And yes there actually are local rules that govern mailboxes, beyond the general recommendations. Obviously your subdivision is allowed to have those types of mailboxes, because you know, itís a subdivision. How many brick mailboxes you see on the side of the FM road where people travel at higher speeds? Very few if any at all, probably because the local postmaster doesnít allow it
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #19
Runnin4D
Four Point

Way to go on the mailbox OP! It looks great....AND safe!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Lol. Every Mailbox thread ever started on here has one or two folks who get hung up on "custom" built mailboxes being dangerous. My granddad owned a small trailer park back in the 80's for a retirement job. Out in the county, with each trailer having a couple of acres. It was pretty nice.

Some outlaws would come by about once a month and knock down the entire row of community mailboxes. Grandpa had one made out of steel pipe, and and steel plate and put it on the end row of about 8 mailboxes.

Gets a call one night from the Sheriff asking him come out to his property due to an accident with his mailboxes. Grandpa pulls up and see's some squad cars, his mailboxes looking pretty intact, except a slight bend and some silver paint missing from the new one he installed.

As he got closer, he noticed the 3 stoners sitting cuffed next to the deputies car, and their overturned VW beetle sitting in the other ditch.

The deputies thanked him, and asked if he wanted to be listed on the report to recoup any damages to his new, now VERY SLIGHTLY bent mailbox. As these guys were suspects in damaging a ton of mailboxes all over the county by hitting them with their car, for fun.

He declined and always said he felt they learned the intended lesson that particular night.

Last edited by Bullydog; 12-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #21
Runnin4D
Four Point

Lol funny story Bullydog.
New to TBH. Will know better than getting myself hung up expressing an opinion next time.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 PM   #22
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4x4 View Post
Well we had a college kid running from the cops drive through our front yard and run over our mailbox so I thought what a time for a new fun project
All done! Iím happy with the way it turned out hope it lasts for many years to come
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
Hooverfb
Ten Point

What'd you stain the wood with? Came out great!
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #24
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Nice!
Old 01-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #25
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
What'd you stain the wood with? Came out great!
I didnít stain it I burned it with a torch and I will seal it in about 6 months
Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Ah interesting. I like how that turned out.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #27
LCall47
Spike

Great idea!
LCall47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #28
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Thank you if anyone wants one ill make them one for a price ��
Old 01-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #29
HUNTNETIME
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
What is the 6 month wait for?
HUNTNETIME is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #30
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Granbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
What is the 6 month wait for?
I'm pretty sure because its treated wood and needs to dry out.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #31
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fangman View Post
I'm pretty sure because its treated wood and needs to dry out.
Mike you hit the nail on the head sir
Old 01-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
#Triggered
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #33
mchildress
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk

Most mail boxes are not located on private property but in the actual road easement which is defines as part of the roadway. Just an unnecessary liability in the sue crazy times when live in today to build a bullet proof mail box.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #34
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:

Back home we had a problem with kids hitting our boxes with baseball bats from cars.

6" Pipe and custom made box from 1/4" steel plate welded together stopped that problem.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #35
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
All done! Iím happy with the way it turned out hope it lasts for many years to come
Looks nice!
It looks like you are on a dead end street. How was that idiot able to run over your mailbox in that scenario? I hope your cars weren't impacted.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #36
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
And yes there actually are local rules that govern mailboxes, beyond the general recommendations. Obviously your subdivision is allowed to have those types of mailboxes, because you know, itís a subdivision. How many brick mailboxes you see on the side of the FM road where people travel at higher speeds? Very few if any at all, probably because the local postmaster doesnít allow it
We live on a country road (not a FM) and have a custom brick mailbox that matches our house. We had multiple posts destroyed over a three-year period by idiotic drivers. Never did they leave a note or offer to help put up a new mailbox after destroying ours.
Since we built brick mailboxes, we have had two of those destroyed. But it was easier to have those drivers' insurance pick up the bill since the cars were disabled nearby due to their 'encounter' with our mailbox.
The postmaster has never questioned our mailbox, or any of the others that are pipe, brick, etc. along our road.
We didn't build the brick mailbox to harm anyone or their cars. We built it to look better than a post and match our house (200 feet off the road). (That is, to look better than a post I could build and rebuild and rebuild. I could not have built one as nice as the OP).
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #37
Houston4x4
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
Looks nice!
It looks like you are on a dead end street. How was that idiot able to run over your mailbox in that scenario? I hope your cars weren't impacted.
He threaded the needle missing both my work car and my truck by feet I was very fortunate
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #38
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I've seen some home subdivisions where all mail boxes are brick and mortar. Such is the place where my folks live.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #39
Fla Hunter
Ten Point

Looks good
Fla Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #40
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Really digging that sir! I like the flame treatment!

as a side note:

The house I grew up in had our mailbox (brick and mortar) run over like 5 times. It was kids going up and down the street hitting them and knocking them over. How that would be fun or whatever, (wouldn't it scratch up their truck?) I don't know. My dad got real tired of it, so we dug a hole to China, put a steel 4x4 in each corner, all welded together with rebar, did the brick work, and filled the whole thing in with concrete before we put the top on. One night we heard a noise, go out there and there's a truck wrapped around it with 3 teenage boys running around freaking out. My dad called the cops and this time the parents got called and it never happened again. I think that was in '94. Im sure that makes us bad people but hey... whatever.

We also had problems with the snow plow knocking the mailbox over up at the cottage in Wisconsin. Just a function of someone doing their job. Grandpa and I welded together this neat spring loaded thing on a 6 foot pole cantilevered out to the street that would swing 90 degrees when you pushed on it and was spring loaded to return to center. Its still there now... and that was... crap the late 80s.

Sometimes you have to bend, and sometimes you have to stand sturdy and say enough is what I am saying.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #41
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

We lived in a little neighborhood out in the country in college and folks constantly went down our street playing mailbox baseball! They never hit ours so I had a pretty good idea who it was! Told em several times to cool it but they never did. Finally my neighbor welded one up out of 4" pipe and 1/2" plate steel and got his wife to paint it all up to look like wood. Couple weeks later all the mailboxes but his and mine were smashed again! Saw my buddy later and his side window was smashed out and the door frame by the Windows was dented in with a bat! My buddy said his hands were ringing for 3 weeks! Needless to say that was the end of their mailbox baseball days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #42
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
He threaded the needle missing both my work car and my truck by feet I was very fortunate
Yikes!!
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #43
Gulfcoastin
Four Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Great idea! I torched some corn hole boards and they came out nice. Mailbox might be next!
Gulfcoastin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top