Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default Help finding a gear

This is a fiber gear for a vintage stimpson meat grinder. The top of all the teeth are sheared off because someone, at some point, dropped one of the gear box lid bolts down into the gear box and did not bother to retrieve it. Obviously it eventually bound things up and the fiber drive gear failed as it was designed to do.

Well i have the scoured the web and can't find a replacement part. But surely i can find a gear that will work that is made for something else.

It is a 3/4 shaft. It is 7/8" thick. Its current diameter (with teeth sheared off) is 1.33".

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Mbbriggs05
Four Point
 
Mbbriggs05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX/LA Coast
Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine
Default

Take it to a local machine shop. They can hook you up. Probably way easier than trying to find one online
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
Take it to a local machine shop. They can hook you up. Probably way easier than trying to find one online
Any idea what that kind of work would cost?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Lungbustr
Pope & Young
 
Lungbustr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Any idea what that kind of work would cost?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Probably be cheaper to buy a new grinder with the way machine shops charge around here.
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point
 
RifleBowPistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop Co.
Hunt In: Any where I can
Default

Try McMaster Carr, they have a lot of everything, on that long list of everything, they sell universal purpose gears. Not knowing what the diameter originally was, is going to make it difficult to find something than one intended for that meat grinder. But it is possible that multiple different meat grinder companies use the same gears from the same source, to reduce their cost.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

Call motion industries in Tyler. They can get bearings and gears for anything
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
Kingfisher789
Ten Point
 
Kingfisher789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin. Jim Ned Creek
Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default

3D printer.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

I came across this site and sent him an email for a quote.
https://gearsmade.com/
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Find a Martin Sprocket and Gear dealer in your area, and you will be in business. I used to work for them many many moons ago. If it's a cog or gear of any kind, they make it. And their headquarters is right here in Texas.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Txhuntr2
Eight Point
 
Txhuntr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Kinney County
Default

have you looked into buying another of the same grinder? take the gear out that you need and you'd have other spare parts too.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
have you looked into buying another of the same grinder? take the gear out that you need and you'd have other spare parts too.
Ha! I assume that you are kidding.

This is a vintage grinder that apparently they did not make many of. You can hardly find anything about them online. It is a stimpson.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 AM   #12
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Franklin Gear in Houston can fix you up.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #13
Humper
Pope & Young
 
Humper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corinth
Hunt In: Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Ha! I assume that you are kidding.

This is a vintage grinder that apparently they did not make many of. You can hardly find anything about them online. It is a stimpson.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
https://us.letgo.com/en/i/stimpson-m...5-6d6c707d6f79

And there’s one on eBay too....
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
Yea let me jump right on that!

Things are looking bleak for finding a gear. Franklin gear replied to me with an estimate of $300! I get it. But i thought places that only make gears would be so jigged up for making them that it would be super simple to make any gear. I guess not. Currently trying to find a gear made for other applications that will work. 3d printing one may be the ticket if the material is durable enough. And if i can find someone to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Yea let me jump right on that!

Things are looking bleak for finding a gear. Franklin gear replied to me with an estimate of $300! I get it. But i thought places that only make gears would be so jigged up for making them that it would be super simple to make any gear. I guess not. Currently trying to find a gear made for other applications that will work. 3d printing one may be the ticket if the material is durable enough. And if i can find someone to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can't jig up for a 1 piece run. Add the fact that they have no prints for the part and therefor must reverse engineer prior to sending to the shop floor and $300 actually sounds fair.


But you can almost buy a really good grinder with readily available parts for that so.....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
LeanMachine
Ten Point
 
LeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton, tx
Hunt In: east texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
You can't jig up for a 1 piece run. Add the fact that they have no prints for the part and therefor must reverse engineer prior to sending to the shop floor and $300 actually sounds fair.


But you can almost buy a really good grinder with readily available parts for that so.....
Im not hard up for a grinder. I recently bought and restored this hobart buffalo chopper/grinder. I just like doing restoration projects on old stuff. So i will just store this one until a solution presents itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #17
NickOlarey
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Franklin Gear in Houston can fix you up.
That's true!
NickOlarey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com