I passed him - should I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I passed him - should I have?

Hi guys. Saw this buck on the 12/22 evening hunt and passed on him but I am now having second thoughts.

I think he is 3.5 and would like to give him another year.

We are trying our best to let the deer reach 4.5.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Looks like a rutted down 4.5+ yr old.

Lots of potential. I would still consider it a good pass however it would be hard for me too.

Comment

Good pass, may not even be 3.5

Edit.. I'd bet he's 3.5

Comment

Some pictures of him

Comment

Separating 3.5s from 4.5s is the hardest for me, but looking at his tarsals and neck/chest line, that buck could very well be 4.5. Good luck either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie07 View Post
            Hi guys. Saw this buck on the 12/22 evening hunt and passed on him but I am now having second thoughts.

I think he is 3.5 and would like to give him another year.

We are trying our best to let the deer reach 4.5.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/p0m0mGyiD7I

I’m having the same dilemma with an identical buck. Actually hunted him this morning and this evening with no luck. Part of me says 3.5 but part of me says 4.5 (maybe just because I’d really like to put a tag on him lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The older the bigger rack they get. Patience grasshopper

Comment

Some pictures of him
                At least 4.5 but it doesn’t hurt to pass most times anyway

This time of year is really tough if you don’t have history with them. I have one that looked similar could have easily been seen as 4.5 but my history with him showed he was a minimum 6.5 but likely at least 7.5 since he looked identical in body for the previous 3 years
                Last edited by bphillips; 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                  I’m having the same dilemma with an identical buck. Actually hunted him this morning and this evening with no luck. Part of me says 3.5 but part of me says 4.5 (maybe just because I’d really like to put a tag on him lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  At least 4.5

Comment

Good pass you can grow some pretty good size bucks in Coleman county if you give them the age and if that is where you are hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                      Good pass you can grow some pretty good size bucks in Coleman county if you give them the age and if that is where you are hunting?

I am hunting in Comanche county on 240 acres low fence. I need to update my profile. [emoji2]

Comment

Aggie, I think your deer is 3.5 and could be younger (maybe). He's still got long looking legs and an under developed skeletal structure.

Sleepy, I think your deer has a more developed skeletal structure and might be 4.5.

Comment

To add more info to the story, a different buck (in pics below) was killed by my FIL around thanksgiving. We were pretty sure he was 4.5 but his teeth seemed to show 3.5. He looks to be the same age as the buck I passed based on neck and body.

Comment

To add more info to the story, a different buck (in pics below) was killed by my FIL around thanksgiving. We were pretty sure he was 4.5 but his teeth seemed to show 3.5. He looks to be the same age as the buck I passed based on neck and body.

I can see 3.5 on that one

Comment

Only a few more weeks of season, let him go to next year and see what he does.

Comment

Working...
                              X