• Show
Clear All

Good cover
    Good food
    .... and if deer don’t like it, great dove hunting
    Attached Files

Comment

Good thread.

You do anything special when you plant sunflower seed? I have planted them with mixed results, think it might have been to wet.

Comment

Anyone do any food plots in south Texas? I’m feeding 30-35 bucks all summer, then when they break out of the bachelor groups in October-November they move to other pastures. Thinking of doing another feed station about 1200 yards from my blind to try and keep 1-2 more mature bucks in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Good cover
          Good food
          .... and if deer don’t like it, great dove hunting
          Awesome looking field...is this just the pearl millet you noted above and sunflowers? Any sort of variety on the sunflowers? Do you mix in the I&C peas with this?

I have a ± 4.5 acre hay field that army worms and the drought decimated a few years ago. Now its a goatweed/croton field that I plant my winter plot in (only about 2 acres of it).

Our cows dont have access to this particular pasture but I like the idea of giving plenty of cover/food for the deer and worst case keeping the doves around (they like the goatweed/croton).

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
            Awesome looking field...is this just the pearl millet you noted above and sunflowers? Any sort of variety on the sunflowers? Do you mix in the I&C peas with this?

I have a ± 4.5 acre hay field that army worms and the drought decimated a few years ago. Now its a goatweed/croton field that I plant my winter plot in (only about 2 acres of it).

Our cows dont have access to this particular pasture but I like the idea of giving plenty of cover/food for the deer and worst case keeping the doves around (they like the goatweed/croton).
            That was just a field I drilled with black oil sunflowers (bird seed) and pearl head millet. I alternated every 40-50 feet. You could easily add peas to the mix though and they would do well.

Usually 60 after planting the flowers will be full bloom. 90 days dried pretty good. At 110-120 they will crumble! Pearl head needs longer probably 120-150 days. So I have dove food ready by sept 1 then another bumper crop of millet mid season that will carry through

Goat weed is useless until it “pops”... which in my area is around mid October. Dove love it IF you can get grass down extremely low. Too many people hunt goat weed opening day, and see zero..... and the ones that do well... had help ( I’d bet a new nickel milo is in the mix, cause they can’t eat a green seed inside a cotton ball )

Comment

Iron & Clay Cowpeas in East Texas for a summer/ early fall plot, they will last till the first frost if the deer don’t eat them all before.

These smaller plots were wiped out before archery season ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow! Great job! Love that first photo

Comment

Thanks for all the information, this will be my first year trying to plant as well so everything helps!

Comment

When do you plant iron and clay cowpeas mixed with soybeans?

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                      When do you plant iron and clay cowpeas mixed with soybeans?
                      Moisture permitting 2nd week of May

Comment

Working...
                      X