No announcement yet.

Cottonseed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a free range condition I don’t see Bucks being sterl.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
      https://youtu.be/I8pNxtiA07k

I put this link on a cottonseed thread a couple months ago, but I didn't get any responses on it. I think it had a lot of interesting information. I'm new to deer hunting, as well as this forum, so I've been doing as much research as I can to help me understand deer better. Apparently there a chemical called gossypol in cottonseed that causes sterility in deer, so feeding cottonseed year round can affect fawn crop. I don't know if this helps, but it might be something you want to look into.
      Cottonseed and the gossypol sterility issue has been discussed many times on here. Type in “cottonseed” in the search bar and you will see lots of info.

We stop feeding around Labor Day before the rut just to be safe as a precaution because yes, some studies show that large amounts of cottonseed ingested by deer can cause them to be temporarily sterile. I also believe most of these studies have been studies in pen raised deer who's diets consists of almost 100% cottonseed. I understand that deer exposed to more natural browse aren’t as impacted.

Comment

We have fed cotton seed for 6 years, about 6-10 tons per year. Yes it works putting on weight on the animals. But remember it is only a supplement to the other things white-tails eat. Cotton seed and protein pellets can help your herd but it can also create a false load of animals on your area, (bringing in more animals from your neighbors). this can put more hurt on your pastures with more animals on your property.
        don't worry about having your bucks go sterile as the deer will be eating more browse than cotton seed, unless you have penned deer.
        We get our cotton seed from Cape and Son's as they have cotton mills contracted and can keep the cost better for you. They can be reached at 325-673-6206

Comment

I tried it once, the deer loved it. Only problem, the cows loved it even more, busted through my feed pen to get it twice. I stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            We don’t have hogs but I don’t know of just a whole lot of things a **** hog won’t eat.
            I’ve heard it’s hard for them to digest....but I’d bet they’d eat the crap out of it!!
            I tried it this year. You will need to net wire your feeder pens. We don't hardly see pigs, but when I checked my game cam It was full of pigs! They didn't leave until all my seed was gone!!!! Not a deer one on the pictures.

Comment

Guys just want to give a heads up on the cotton seed this year. With all the crazy weather we have had this year there is a possibility the seed could contain Aflatoxin. I never even thought about this. I usually buy some to feed my cows and deer each year. I was given the heads up by a cotton farmer in our area. He said if you got your seed at the start of the harvest there shouldn't be any problems. Its the cotton that has sat in the fields from all the flooding and has been stressed you need to worry about. Just thought I would give a heads up.

Comment

We just started feeding cotton seed this year between Newcastle and throckmorton the feed store in graham has some as of now, 50 lbs bags.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                  I started cottonseed for the first time last year. I was to late to find any in bulk and ended up buying cottonseed in sacks. I bought a half a ton to start and in sacks it was about the same cost as protein. I filled the wire feeders in January along with the protein feeders. I feed protein year round. If I remember correctly, you can put about 350 lbs in each wire feeder. From January through June, the cottonseed basically went untouched, but they were hitting the protein pretty heavily. In July, it was like a switch was flipped and they started hammering the cottonseed. I ended up buying another half ton and they ate all of that by the end of August. My plan this year is to let the protein run out and fill the cottonseed feeders and have that be their only option for January and February. I bought a high sided trailer and have already picked up three tons of bulk cottonseed from the nearest gin, which was 90 miles away. As far as finding cottonseed, I would google "Cotton Gins" and see the ones nearest you. Call them and see if they have any available. Now is probably the best time to find some. Later on they will either not have any more or will have contracted out what they have. I hope this helps.
                  Update...my deer are eating 50-75 lbs per day.

Comment

Has anybody tried the cotton seed mixed with corn and persimmon are licorice flavored?

Comment

I decided to feed cottonseed for the first time and filled three home-made feeders two weeks ago. I checked on them today and they were completely empty. I guess it did not take long for the deer to find it. I am guessing all three feeders hold about 1,000 pounds total.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I plan to devise a better way to haul it next time. The bulk bags are not convenient.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Do it!!! Start Now. You won't be disappointed. It will take a while for some deer to hit it, but when they do watch out. It will go fast. Our deer look healthier, lot more kicker points with more mass, and body weight went up.

Comment

Wish the Axis would let the whitetail have more of it. The date is wrong on the camera.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a feeder about what you mentioned and I’d guess it to hold 400-450. Never could get deer to touch it last year. Finally hogs ate it all. Moved it to a new property about a month ago.... so far untouched. Deer walk past it daily

In throckmorton I think I can feed it to deer by hand. Can’t feed it fast enough

Comment

You guys get you CS near Rocksprings? Planning on feeding it at our new place very soon. Charlie where in RS are you? Our place is off of Hwy 41 one mile south on CR230.

Comment

Working...
                                X