Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default Classifieds observation...

Has anyone else noticed that most threads with a simple ďIíll take itĒ reply get bumped back up because the sale fell through? I donít think I have dealt with a committed buyer yet that didnít ask multiple questions via PM. ďIíll take itĒ seems to mean ďDonít sell it to anyone else until I decide if I want it.Ē.......
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

"I'll take it ... depending on price, condition, and delivery logistics"

In other words, " Dibs until i decide IF i can take it". Yes. I've noticed as well.
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I sent really reply to the post unless it is an item I really want at a great price then I will post on it and send a PM immediately.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Basically actual buyers make up <5% of communicators in the classifieds. Majority is noise and a tirekicker safe space.
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Had it happen several times.

Iíll take it.

Then says wifeís says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Yep....I look at ease of transaction instead of first "I'll take it".....some folks get mad about it, life goes on.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I did say I will take it if as described once and I bought it later that day.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
Had it happen several times.

Iíll take it.

Then says wifeís says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never understood this. Whether for a lease or a "kitchen pass" for a weekend at the lease or . . .
Even if it were true why would you say it in public.
Don't shop if you don't have the money to spend.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Problems I have had is "I'll take it, if I can get a express from the GS". No issues there, but usually if it doesn't happen other interested parties usually move on. I've done it before as well, but I try not to if I can't pick it up myself.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter90 View Post
Problems I have had is "I'll take it, if I can get a express from the GS". No issues there, but usually if it doesn't happen other interested parties usually move on. I've done it before as well, but I try not to if I can't pick it up myself.
x2
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I think there is a cretin unwritten etiquette that most of us try to fallow. Most sellers tend to honor a persons place in line. Simply saying "PM sent" usually suffices but in the last few years there seems to be little sacred ground. I think thats why guys call first dibs so quick. Kind of like buying a STIC knife on here. I would rather honor a guy that calls first dibs and give him a chance to buy before I'd sell to a guy that tried to skip over everyone else and send a PM without ever commenting on the thread. If all you want to do is sell to the first guy with the money there is always CL.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
Thad_Castle
Nubbin' Buck

Noticed it as well
Thad_Castle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

PigSticker64 got ROASTED for saying something similar a couple years ago. Guess his mistake was putting a rant ABOUT the classifieds in the classifieds section. There are even some from THIS thread that contributed but seem to be in agreement now.

For context, he was selling a bow and had several "I'll take it" guys back out after asking the questions they should've asked before committing to buy. Glad to see the majority of us are on the same page now.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=635370

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-11-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #14
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest

I’ll take it.

Sorry but I had to
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
Black_foot_
Six Point

I said the same thing to a fella last week and bought the same rifle a few days later when we could meet up. So it is not everyone.
Black_foot_ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #16
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
PigSticker64 got ROASTED for saying something similar a couple years ago. Guess his mistake was putting a rant ABOUT the classifieds in the classifieds section. There are even some from THIS thread that contributed but seem to be in agreement now.

For context, he was selling a bow and had several "I'll take it" guys back out after asking the questions they should've asked before committing to buy. Glad to see the majority of us are on the same page now.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=635370
lol first thing I saw was my smart *** comment
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #17
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
lol first thing I saw was my smart *** comment
Lol not gonna lie... I was expecting another when i saw you quote my post
Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

I wish you could narrow down classifieds to regions.....

seems most stuff I am interested in is too far away.....
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
ďIíll take itĒ seems to mean ďDonít sell it to anyone else until I decide if I want it.Ē.......
You need to call those people out then. There are other forums that use the "I take it" rule and if someone backs out they get roasted.
toledo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #20
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
You need to call those people out then. There are other forums that use the "I take it" rule and if someone backs out they get roasted.
yep Ar15 classifieds comes to mind.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #21
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I have never backed out on a deal when I said that I would take it but I have had it happen to me now several times. Some have gone so far as to arrange a time to pick the stuff up and then not show. Blows my mind that what people say no longer means anything to them.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #22
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
I'm glad we aren't that forum. I've never met a stranger on TBH. I wouldn't roast a friend of mine if life got in the way of me selling something to them and I wouldn't do it to anyone on here just for that.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
I'm glad we aren't that forum. I've never met a stranger on TBH. I wouldn't roast a friend of mine if life got in the way of me selling something to them and I wouldn't do it to anyone on here just for that.
I agree to an extent. OP is not talking about someone saying "i'll take it" with full intentions of following through (like Black Foot above). Stuff happens. He's referring to people using "I'll take it" as a way of holding their place in line before asking the questions to determine if they can actually afford it or work out the delivery logistics.

I saw one recently where a dude says "i'll take it" before OP even posted a price or location. One of those "I'll post more details when i get home" type threads.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #24
Roy
Ten Point

I think a location for the item should be mandatory for a classified post. Not everyone has their location in their profile. People can be quick on the draw to get dibs on an item, before the seller reveals where the item is, and then have to back out of the deal.

Don't ask me how I know...
Roy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #25
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

And if youíre drunk posting donít say Iíll take it. Then the next morning blame it on a friend because you left your page open on the computer.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #26
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-11-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: OOPS
Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I'll take it is just a classifieds c-block for all other potential buyers until the commenter can figure out if he really wants it or not.
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #28
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I think a location for the item should be mandatory for a classified post. Not everyone has their location in their profile. People can be quick on the draw to get dibs on an item, before the seller reveals where the item is, and then have to back out of the deal.

If you post "I'll take it" on this or any other forum you should be held to it. If you decide to bail you should be roasted at the stake/pointed out/shamed etc.

As far as location... If you don't know the location of the item before stating "I'll buy it"it's on you buddy. It's not hard to ask on a thread or in a PM. You either want it or you don't.

Shipping/getting the item shouldn't deter buying the item if you want it.
"ill take it" should not be used to hold an item but you will still have folks that will unfortunately.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post

Location, price, and picture. But, that would be a full time job just to monitor it.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
steve corn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam county

I only said "I'll take it" once. It was just what the seller said but I didn't know enough about it. I bought it anyway.
steve corn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #31
Roy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
If you post "I'll take it" on this or any other forum you should be held to it. If you decide to bail you should be roasted at the stake/pointed out/shamed etc.

As far as location... If you don't know the location of the item before stating "I'll buy it"it's on you buddy. It's not hard to ask on a thread or in a PM. You either want it or you don't.

Shipping/getting the item shouldn't deter buying the item if you want it.
"ill take it" should not be used to hold an item but you will still have folks that will unfortunately.
Lighten up Francis! It was an honest mistake and I immediately corrected it. It happens to the best of us. Trust me- this is nothing new.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #32
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
I think there is a cretin unwritten etiquette that most of us try to fallow. Most sellers tend to honor a persons place in line. Simply saying "PM sent" usually suffices but in the last few years there seems to be little sacred ground. I think thats why guys call first dibs so quick. Kind of like buying a STIC knife on here. I would rather honor a guy that calls first dibs and give him a chance to buy before I'd sell to a guy that tried to skip over everyone else and send a PM without ever commenting on the thread. If all you want to do is sell to the first guy with the money there is always CL.
Depending on what's for sale I want the communications done via PM.

Don't need everyone with access to the classifieds knowing how I spend my money or what types of nice things I've just bought.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #33
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Depending on what's for sale I want the communications done via PM.

Don't need everyone with access to the classifieds knowing how I spend my money or what types of nice things I've just bought.
Fair enough. As a seller, if someone sends me a PM without commenting I don't save them a place in line if others have spoken up and shown interest. Other guys that think they are 2nd or 3rd in line don't know that I got 10 PM's from people wanting to buy it out from under the 1st place guy. I just like to keep all my dealings out in the open. When it gets down to talking about the actual deal, I always do that by phone and not Text or PM. I won't buy from anyone that won't talk to me first.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #34
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Not me when I type I'll take it we only need to arrange payment and delivery or pick up.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #35
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

It ain’t always the buyer. Sometimes it’s the seller that ain’t got his crap together, or is just dishonest.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #36
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

The first "I'll take it" means nothing to me. I will sell it to whomever I want to. Somebody got butthurt in the classifieds this weekend because the seller sold it to someone that PMed and the guy that posted "I'll take it" didn't get it. If I post "I'll take it", I've committed to it and will buy it regardless. But...I reserve the right to sell to whomever in the hell I want to, and if that hurts "I'll take it" guy's feelings, then tough crap.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #37
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post

This times eleventy billion.

Quote:
Most sellers tend to honor a persons place in line. Simply saying "PM sent" usually suffices but in the last few years there seems to be little sacred ground.
This is garbage. "PM Sent" could be eight hundred different things, none of which are an intent to purchase. "I'll take it" means exactly one thing. While the seller absolutely has the right to set his owns rules for a sale, no one who wants to unequivocally accept the publicly advertised offer should have to wait in line behind all the people with questions, the tire kickers, the low-ballers, and the worthless trade offers. In my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
I wish you could narrow down classifieds to regions.....seems most stuff I am interested in is too far away.....
I wish there was a way people could say where their item is located. Oh wait, there is: they could just write it in the freaking title!
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
The first "I'll take it" means nothing to me. I will sell it to whomever I want to. Somebody got butthurt in the classifieds this weekend because the seller sold it to someone that PMed and the guy that posted "I'll take it" didn't get it. If I post "I'll take it", I've committed to it and will buy it regardless. But...I reserve the right to sell to whomever in the hell I want to, and if that hurts "I'll take it" guy's feelings, then tough crap.
Yes!....there are some richards on here that I will never sell too as well!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #39
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
This is garbage......... In my opinion.
Sure Glad that's only your opinion. Kind of like my statement was just my opinion. I don't think it warranted to be called garbage. 84,331 people on this forum last I looked I bet there are a few different opinions.

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 07-11-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #40
Roy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

This times eleventy billion.

This is garbage. "PM Sent" could be eight hundred different things, none of which are an intent to purchase. "I'll take it" means exactly one thing. While the seller absolutely has the right to set his owns rules for a sale, no one who wants to unequivocally accept the publicly advertised offer should have to wait in line behind all the people with questions, the tire kickers, the low-ballers, and the worthless trade offers. In my opinion.

I wish there was a way people could say where their item is located. Oh wait, there is: they could just write it in the freaking title!
I have lost my shot at more than a few items over the years because someone beat me with a PM- even without that person posting "PM Sent". Stinks, but it is ultimately up to the seller to sell to whomever they wish.

There is no "Buy It Now" option.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #41
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Another classified rant... shocking
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #42
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house

A while back someone posted a rifle on here that I wanted, several people posted oohs and ahhs and one guy tried to beat the OP up on price, so I just posted that I would take it and pay full amount. I was a dirty bastage after that according to one guy that was not involved in the sale and the other yayhoo that was trying to negotiate a price. The seller posted back on my defense.

If you post something on here that I want, and its a fair price I will buy it. I could give two chits about some jack wagon trying to get a bargain or some goofy azz trade, I will step in line and offer full pop and buy it. Sorry about your luck.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #43
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I finally sold a poly tank to the 6th TBH'er that said he would take it. That was very frustrating. A couple of the "I will take it" guys had no means to come and get it. A couple more showed up and realized it was bigger than they thought it would be. I posted the dimensions in the thread along with pics. That was very time consuming and frustrating. Other than that I haven't had any issues. If I am trying to sell something I absolutely give priority to the first to say "I'll take it."

It hasn't always worked for me when I've seen something I've wanted to buy. A few times I have posted first "I'll take it," and the OP sold it to someone else. It's their decision to do so. It does suck sometimes, but they are the owner and can sell to anyone they want. "I'll take it" is not a binding contract. That being said, when I say it, I will stand by it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #44
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
A while back someone posted a rifle on here that I wanted, several people posted oohs and ahhs and one guy tried to beat the OP up on price, so I just posted that I would take it and pay full amount. I was a dirty bastage after that according to one guy that was not involved in the sale and the other yayhoo that was trying to negotiate a price. The seller posted back on my defense.

If you post something on here that I want, and its a fair price I will buy it. I could give two chits about some jack wagon trying to get a bargain or some goofy azz trade, I will step in line and offer full pop and buy it. Sorry about your luck.
Radar, I know you are not a dirty bastage!!!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #45
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

I always shoot straight. If I say I’m going to take it, I do. I expect buyers to honor what they say. TBH has overall been great to me barring a couple of jackwagons that end up on my do not engage list.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #46
Rubberdown
Ten Point

Honestly there just needs to be a classifieds feedback option. I honestly can’t fathom why there isn’t. It’s built into the web board and keeps people honest.
Rubberdown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #47
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

That is BS, if you say you will take it you need to take it. I got confused one day buying some boots, I thought the brand of the boots ran small but in reality they ran large. I told the seller I would take them, a few minutes later I realized my mistake. I PM'd the seller asking him for his phone number so I could call and talk to him about it. I told him that I said I will take them and I want to live up to that but if he had anyone else in line to go ahead and sell it to them but I made it super clear that I would pay for them if it put him in any sort of bind. Seller was a nice guy and told me not to worry about it.

What is right is right and people need to live up to their word.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #48
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Agree. If you're trying to negotiate, then you open yourself to someone with their ducks in a row who will pull the trigger.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #49
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberdown View Post
Honestly there just needs to be a classifieds feedback option. I honestly canít fathom why there isnít. Itís built into the web board and keeps people honest.
Where's the Tylenol?
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #50
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

if yall think this website is bad, check out archery talk, its a tirekickers dream...every buyer that has said ill take it on here has actually followed thru with the sale so ive had good luck
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top