Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Question Nuclear stress test?

How many have had a nuclear stress test? I'm scheduled for one on the 19th. Honestly, I'm a little scared. On a treadmill you can bail out if something doesn't feel right. On the nuclear you can't do a durn thing. The last stress test I had was in '16. I went from the treadmill straight to the ER. I am not looking forward to this at all.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I had one about 2 months ago. I didn't have any problems.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
Trevor73402
Six Point

I had one a couple years ago. I’m younger (late 30’s) and I didn’t have any issues. Everyone I talked to made it sound way way worse than it really was. I actually got a little nervous going in. When they maxed out the treadmill, it was just barely over a quick walk for me so it wasn’t much of a problem.
Trevor73402 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Wife had a couple..over last 5y she said no big deal
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
RattlesnakeDan
Six Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Sounds like the stress test has already started.
RattlesnakeDan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Worse thing about any stress test is that it can miss so much. A calcium score is a much better test to determine heart health. Good luck on your test.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I've had two. No issues from the test. They found issues that would have been fatal and fixed them after the last one.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
I had one a couple years ago. Iím younger (late 30ís) and I didnít have any issues. Everyone I talked to made it sound way way worse than it really was. I actually got a little nervous going in. When they maxed out the treadmill, it was just barely over a quick walk for me so it wasnít much of a problem.
This one is not on a treadmill. It is chemically induced. My knee's have gotten so bad that a treadmill is out of the question.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
Sounds like the stress test has already started.
I think you're right.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #11
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Both are useful tools. A good doctor knows when to use which.
Mine uses stress echos and the calcium for me.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

I've had one and it was a breeze!! Nuclear test only last of 1 1/2-2 minutes. Two things they told me was you will get a warm feeling on your forehead and the boys downstairs. Test was quite easy!! Don't stress about this stress test.....
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Had one. Afterwards.... straight to the cath lab.

More accurate than the treadmill or ekg from what the dr. told me.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #14
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

I do a Nuclear stress test daily. I'm a scheduler at a nuclear power plant. lolz
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Iíve had a couple of those. Never a problem. Youíll do ok.
MQ32Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

They should have someone around if something happens.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #18
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

A chemical stress test is much easier than the treadmill, and if you have a cardiac emergency, you are in a good place for one , only better place would be in a ER
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Worse thing about any stress test is that it can miss so much. A calcium score is a much better test to determine heart health. Good luck on your test.

-john
Apple's and oranges. A stress test will identify an existing decrease in blood flow, an active blockage either by soft plaque or calcified plaque. A calcium score will only tell you if there is calcified plaque present and would lead to additional testing.....such as a stress test.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #20
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
How many have had a nuclear stress test? I'm scheduled for one on the 19th. Honestly, I'm a little scared. On a treadmill you can bail out if something doesn't feel right. On the nuclear you can't do a durn thing. The last stress test I had was in '16. I went from the treadmill straight to the ER. I am not looking forward to this at all.
I do one every year,I don't understand what your saying about the treadmill,they will inject the nuclear dye and put you on a treadmill are speed your heart up with meds.It's the same stress test you did earlier they are just injecting a dye to see what your heart is doing,they will take a lot of 3 d pictures,be ready to lay on a table perfectly still for about 20 minutes while this camera make's a revolution around you , you will do this before the treadmill and after to compare pictures and what your heart is doing. Good luck,hope it turns out good.
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
TexaRican
Pope & Young

My cardiologist ordered one this spring but insurance pushed back. In the meantime they approved the calcium score so I went in the tube. When that plus my EEG were perfect I just dropped the stress test. Was only there based on family history as my Dad and Bro (7 years older) both have stints. Bro probably can't run a mile though and is heavy. I've been working out hard the last several years doing my best to battle genetics

I guess I need to find a new doc now that I've moved north though.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

[QUOTE=Goldeneagle;14239303]This one is not on a treadmill. It is chemically induced. My knee's have gotten so bad that a treadmill is out of the question.[/QUO

Sorry I didn't see you were doing the chemical stress test,it's not bad at all.They will inject the dye, take pictures of your heart resting then inject the chemical to speed up your heart,you will feel your heart speed up but it last a minute are two ,then they will give you a shot in your IV and stop it,again you will feel it slowing you down.Then back for more pictures.
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #23
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
Apple's and oranges. A stress test will identify an existing decrease in blood flow, an active blockage either by soft plaque or calcified plaque. A calcium score will only tell you if there is calcified plaque present and would lead to additional testing.....such as a stress test.
Because of my families genetic issues with high cholesterol I go to a doctor that specializes in the field. While he is normal his brother, who is a cardiologist, who is in his mid 30's, and who has already had 2 open heart surgeries is not normal. ......his mother also has it as did 5 of her siblings. He had an Uncle do a stress test, pass with flying colors and then drop dead in front of Cabelas 2 days later. He has probably participated in more cholesterol studies than anyone else alive. He will tell anyone that will listen that stress test miss way too many things to be considered useful. He might be wrong but I know he feels strongly about this...and well I trust him with my life so to speak.

-john
Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I've had both the treadmill and the chemical induced stress test. Yes, the chemically induced is a little more "stress"ful IMO but it is what it is. It's a somewhat claustrophobic feeling when your heart starts raising and you find it hard to breath when you are just laying on a treatment table. On the treadmill...at least you knew how you got there.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I get one of those Monday-Thursday minimum...
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #26
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Maybe.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #27
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I've only had one and I will take the treadmill any day over the chemically induced heart attack. Granted they have you hooked up to antidote IV but with mine the abdominal cramps and chest pressure where scary and very uncomfortable, just like a real attack. BTW, I am a survivor of 4 heart attacks so far and a recipient of 2 stints. My first was Oct 19th, 1989 when I was only 43.
My last one was 4 years ago.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
huntnfish
Eight Point

ZERO to worry about, unless you don't like needles.
huntnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #29
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Because of my families genetic issues with high cholesterol I go to a doctor that specializes in the field. While he is normal his brother, who is a cardiologist, who is in his mid 30's, and who has already had 2 open heart surgeries is not normal. ......his mother also has it as did 5 of her siblings. He had an Uncle do a stress test, pass with flying colors and then drop dead in front of Cabelas 2 days later. He has probably participated in more cholesterol studies than anyone else alive. He will tell anyone that will listen that stress test miss way too many things to be considered useful. He might be wrong but I know he feels strongly about this...and well I trust him with my life so to speak.

-john

There are outliers in every field, including particular patients and particular doctors. Medicine is based on the averages of outcomes across years of treating patients and constantly adjusted and tested with new studies. A standard of care is developed based on all of this information. Sometimes people drop dead 2 days after their doctors follow the standard of care, that shouldn't change the treatment plan for the thousands who didn't.

I have been involved with cardiac medicine for 20 years. I have met a few "cowboy" cardiologist that think they know things the rest of the medical community doesn't. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of their ego.

Can a stress test be normal and someone die of a heart attack, absolutely. Can a patient have zero calcified plaque and die of a heart attack, absolutely. There is no silver bullet screening exam that will eliminate cardiac death but there is a standard of care based on what will keep the most people alive.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #30
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
I do one every year,I don't understand what your saying about the treadmill,they will inject the nuclear dye and put you on a treadmill are speed your heart up with meds.It's the same stress test you did earlier they are just injecting a dye to see what your heart is doing,they will take a lot of 3 d pictures,be ready to lay on a table perfectly still for about 20 minutes while this camera make's a revolution around you , you will do this before the treadmill and after to compare pictures and what your heart is doing. Good luck,hope it turns out good.
This is what I did when i turned 50. My family history of early heart attacks made my doctor order one. I had no issues with the test during or after.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
There are outliers in every field, including particular patients and particular doctors. Medicine is based on the averages of outcomes across years of treating patients and constantly adjusted and tested with new studies. A standard of care is developed based on all of this information. Sometimes people drop dead 2 days after their doctors follow the standard of care, that shouldn't change the treatment plan for the thousands who didn't.

I have been involved with cardiac medicine for 20 years. I have met a few "cowboy" cardiologist that think they know things the rest of the medical community doesn't. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of their ego.

Can a stress test be normal and someone die of a heart attack, absolutely. Can a patient have zero calcified plaque and die of a heart attack, absolutely. There is no silver bullet screening exam that will eliminate cardiac death but there is a standard of care based on what will keep the most people alive.
People get the test that insurance companies pay for.......That is where the standard of care comes from.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #32
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I did one a few years ago. I worried about it but it wasn't that big of a deal. Kind of felt lightheaded and weird after, like I had been on a hour long phone call with my ex-wife.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
T-roy66
Eight Point

I've had a couple in the past few years no problems anytime.
T-roy66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #34
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Maybe.
Good point. Hopefully these are super nurses administering the death potion at this location.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #35
Z7X
Ten Point

Hunt In: Moving to Kansas so hopefully there

Prayers up for no issues and less stress before the test for you and your family
Z7X is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #36
Charles
Pope & Young

Just "chill out" and you wan't need a stress test

Hope everything goes will Randy. I suspect the docs reading the test will be scratching their head from the results
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #37
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

I pushed the buttons on the machines, the meds and watched the machines etc as a job for a while. Most repetitive job Ive ever had. It's not bad, some meds they use to stress you are worse than others as far as symptoms go, we had the choice of three different meds to use but it's over quick, just imagine youre exercising. Odd feeling to get the effects of it when you're sitting in a chair.

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #38
db@100
Eight Point

My mother has one, it almost killed her! She was sent to the er and stayed there for 4 days.
I had one a few weeks ago with no problems.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #39
Grits
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Had one about two andhalf years ago, was told it would make me feel warm and kind of a funny feeling. Never felt either one.
Grits
Grits is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #40
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
People get the test that insurance companies pay for.......That is where the standard of care comes from.
Many hold that vue but it's actually the other way around, insurance will often reject request for exams that do not fit the care path. It's a push/pull type of things. Insurance only wants to pay for what's neccesarily while Dr's want to order every test that will protect them from liability and/or pay them and the hospital the most money and patients want the test their uncle Bob got because aunt Sally said it saved his life.

If you are bored google "Meaningful Use", things are going to get really fun in 2020...
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #41
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Had one about two andhalf years ago, was told it would make me feel warm and kind of a funny feeling. Never felt either one.
Grits
Grits, I'm thinking you got the plecebo!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Burnadell
Pope & Young

You big sissy! Just go do it and quitcher worrying!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #43
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

I had one several years back. No issues at all. When they inject the isotope in, you'll feel a warming sensation. Mine started at my feet and worked it's way up. You can feel your heart start to beat faster and in a few seconds, it's all over with.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #44
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just "chill out" and you wan't need a stress test

Hope everything goes will Randy. I suspect the docs reading the test will be scratching their head from the results
Thank you for your support. What are friends for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
You big sissy! Just go do it and quitcher worrying!
Yeah, I ain't sounding like a tough arse GOF am I?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #45
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Grits
You may have been roofied.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #46
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

I have one yearly....no problems......
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #47
ktjones
Six Point