Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Kossetx
Six Point

Default Remedy diesel use

I was kinda surprised to read on the Dow remedy site that unused remedy diesel mix should be discarded after 24 hours.. I've had it last no problem over the winter and since getting my mesquite under control I still never use what I mix in 24 hours. Sometimes that's only 1/2 pint. I can paint 50/60 small trees with .5 pint

Anyone know why Dow would state that?
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
CaseyB
Four Point

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

To sell more Remedy?
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
To sell more Remedy?
And we have a winner....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Kossetx
Six Point

I know that would be the case but we're talking 24 hours here. Mighty quick for that recommendation.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kossetx View Post
I was kinda surprised to read on the Dow remedy site that unused remedy diesel mix should be discarded after 24 hours.. I've had it last no problem over the winter and since getting my mesquite under control I still never use what I mix in 24 hours. Sometimes that's only 1/2 pint. I can paint 50/60 small trees with .5 pint

Anyone know why Dow would state that?
When you say paint, what exactly do you mean?? Trying to control some mesquites as well...
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Kossetx
Six Point

Quite literally, paint it on with a brush. If you have a lot it's not the way. I once had many thousands, maybe tens of thousands on just one 40 ac pasture. After 15 years of control I'm down to a few hundred a year. If they happened to get mowed down I paint on the stems. Otherwise its the remedy/ reclaim foliar spray.

Painting is also how I do cut stumps. Unless they are really big. One thing you can't do with mesquite is a one time controll. It just about never ends. I have a book called Texas Wild that says a mesquite bean can lie dormant for 50 years. Look at the TAMU Brushbusters site.

Last edited by Kossetx; 07-09-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

^^^Thank you for the information.^^^
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
RPB
Six Point

Hunt In: A Big Oak,A Big Pecan Tree, and a Fertilizer Tank

They also recommend 25% remedy. Which is outrageous. It will kill it deader than dead. I have gotten down to a 5% mix and when basal applied from first true branches down to the crown on huisache I get 99-100% kill. On fingerlings up to 4” trunks. Do it when it’s hot and dry, the ground is cracked away from the base of the trunk allowing it to reach the crown easier
RPB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
Kossetx
Six Point

They've backed off the 25% and now say 15-25%. I still use 25% on any cut stump over 3". I do want them to die.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
6.5CM
Six Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Sendero or Remedy for Mesquite?
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

So lets say we want to spray small mesquites next year around our feedpens and shooting lanes. What time of the year is best an what ratio mixture of diesel to Remedy should I use? I probably have 50-60 I need to get dead and will probably find some more too. Tired of trimming them back every year. None larger that the size of a pencil .....

Is spring green up the best time?

I also have one large stump that's probably 6" wide that keeps shooting up new plants every year. I've drill holes in it to help it rot but that seems to just make it hold water better and grow. Somebody told me to put epsom salt on it and in the holes....

Last edited by Smart; 07-10-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #12
Lee230
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX & OK Panhandle

Jason, I have had great results at our Menard pasture with the 25% remedy and 75% diesel mixture on all sizes of mesquite. I achieve 100% kill by spraying in early August before the trees prepare to go dormant. I spray from the base of the stem or tree, up about 18". I additionally do not cut/snap off the sprayed trees/stems until the next year. The 25/75 mixture will kill that 6" stump completely as well. I also soak those stubborn mesquites that grow in the middle of the roads as well.
Lee230 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee230 View Post
Jason, I have had great results at our Menard pasture with the 25% remedy and 75% diesel mixture on all sizes of mesquite. I achieve 100% kill by spraying in early August before the trees prepare to go dormant. I spray from the base of the stem or tree, up about 18". I additionally do not cut/snap off the sprayed trees/stems until the next year. The 25/75 mixture will kill that 6" stump completely as well. I also soak those stubborn mesquites that grow in the middle of the roads as well.

Great info....although I am not real sure about loading up my feedpens and area roads with diesel that close to season. Is there a second best time to do it?..

Thank you Lee320
Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
HuntForHorns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co., Sonora, Junction, Kentucky, Africa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
So lets say we want to spray small mesquites next year around our feedpens and shooting lanes. What time of the year is best an what ratio mixture of diesel to Remedy should I use? I probably have 50-60 I need to get dead and will probably find some more too. Tired of trimming them back every year. None larger that the size of a pencil .....

I also have one large stump that's probably 6" wide that keeps shooting up new plants every year. I've drill holes in it to help it rot but that seems to just make it hold water better and grow. Somebody told me to put epsom salt on it and in the holes....
Do it right now. As long as you aren't in a drought and they are growing it will kill them. Also, don't you want them out of the way? Cut them even with the ground and spray the cut stump immediately. They will be gone and never come back. Be careful to just get the spray on the cut stump that way it won't kill all the grass around it.

Take your chainsaw and cut the top off that 6" stump and spray it down good with the remedy mixture and it will be dead.

I have hand cut and sprayed over a thousand Huisache plants that way on my farm. As far as I can tell it never effected deer movement. I used 25% but others are saying it doesn't take that much.
HuntForHorns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
Lee230
Eight Point

The diesel makes a great cover scent!! Never had an issue with the fuel bothering the deer.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #16
txagyotebuster
Six Point

You should be fine now. Just not during spring green out. You want the mesquites to be taking moisture and nutrients up from the roots. Once it gets hot and dry it kills the best
txagyotebuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
You should be fine now. Just not during spring green out. You want the mesquites to be taking moisture and nutrients up from the roots. Once it gets hot and dry it kills the best

So spring green out is bad/ I'd have never thought that.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
Lee230
Eight Point

OP, I like the brush on application as there will be little waist or overspray; however, I would be worried about rattlesnakes. I have never stored any Remedy as I buy several cases at a time and use every drop for that season. Another rule of thumb per my chemical guy is spray before Labor Day for the most effective kill.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #19
deerplanter
Ten Point

I work for Dow and our AG business needs more revenue, please buy more.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
txagyotebuster
Six Point

Quote:
I don't know all the technical reasons/terms but my BIL who sells chemicals says during green out everything is going to the leaves and big time photosynthesis is taking place. I guess during these times the plant isn't actively growing, just the leaves are. You want the plant to be taking nutrients from the roots and distributing them throughout the whole plant. If the plant is greening out it can burn off all of the leaves but it doesn't truly kill the plant.
txagyotebuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
I don't know all the technical reasons/terms but my BIL who sells chemicals says during green out everything is going to the leaves and big time photosynthesis is taking place. I guess during these times the plant isn't actively growing, just the leaves are. You want the plant to be taking nutrients from the roots and distributing them throughout the whole plant. If the plant is greening out it can burn off all of the leaves but it doesn't truly kill the plant.

Good stuff... thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
Awalk
Four Point

Basal spray method works year round. (The method described above with 75-85% diesel and 15-25% Remedy, sprayed on the trunk)

Foliar sprays via broadcast or individual plant treatment should only be done when soil temp is above 75" and the foliage is healthy and all emerald green.This is because you're treating bud sprouting plants and want the plant trans-locating carbohydrates from the foliage down to the bud zone and not the other way around. (no light green fresh growth). For individual plant treatment on mesquite use 1% DOW Sendero, 1/4% surfactant and 1/4% blue dye to identify which plants have been treated. For mixed brush (blackbrush, catclaw acacia, granjeno, guajillo, huisache, mesquite, pricklypear, retama, skunkbush, tasajillo, twisted acacia) we add another half percent of picloram or remedy to the 1% sendero solution and have good success.

If you've been managing plants with mechanical methods like trimming or shredding, you need to wait a couple growing seasons before foliar treatments so that you can ensure enough chemical contact... if you just have a few plants, I'd recommend basal treatment with diesel remedy.

The Brushbusters publications are a great place to start learning. They also have a handful of youtube videos, just google it.

The link below describes different chemicals mixtures that you can use on varying plants and their success rates (indicated by L, M, H, VH). We're mostly managing roads and hunting areas, so we treat for "mixed brush"

http://agrilife.org/southtexasrangel...1/ERM-1466.pdf

As to the OP's original question, I've stored diesel remedy mixture in an outdoor shed for 2 years and it works as well as the day we mixed it.

Hope this helps
Awalk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #23
Kossetx
Six Point

With at least 20% I've never had bad kill. I spray or paint when I can, any season. Since the weather has been good I'm still foliar spraying with remedy/reclaim on small (<12" ) tall trees.

For those just going to start using remedy diesel mix, a few words of advice. Mix often...every few minutes.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #24
Abctx
Six Point

I’ve stored the diesel/Remedy mix for almost a year with no issues. Just shake it well before you use it again.

The diesel is hard on good sprayers, so I often make a point of using the cheap Walmart 1 gallon sprayers. They’re only $5-$7. Take off the crappy wand they come with, and put one of these on:

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Indust.../dp/B006P1U9V8

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Indust...ateway&sr=8-24

You can stretch the tubing over the barb on that wand, and tighten it on with a cheap little worm drive clamp. If the diesel eats the sprayer up, take off your good wand/tip, and transfer it to another $7 sprayer. You’ll be real disappointed if you screw up a nice $100 backpack rig.

Spend the money and get you a Conejet 5500 x-1 or x-3 tip. You will waste a LOT less mix that way, and at $60-$80 a gallon for Remedy, that can help.

Get a strainer/check valve to go inside the tip, also. If you don’t get the check valve, the tip will keep spraying for 30 seconds after you release the handle.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...mesh-pack-of-4

The x-1 tip has such a small orifice that it will want to clog more often. FYI, that tip flows so little, that you can spray for 45-50 minutes wide open before using a gallon. There’s a reason Brushbusters recommends it.

Remember, you’re just trying to get the bottom 12”-18” of the trunk wet. I can usually spot the trees I sprayed within 7-10 days. The leaves quickly go from green to yellow.

Last edited by Abctx; 07-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #25
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house

I also have ruined a 100.00 backpack sprayer with Remedy/Diesel mix. I still use the 25% solution on cactus as I want it gone for good. I also still paint Hackberry,Chinaberry and mesquite stumps with the 25% solution.

You are correct in using a cheap sprayer for Remedy/diesel. I have switched over to RM43 for my backpack sprayer.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Does anyone mix with water instead of diesel?
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #27
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5CM View Post
Sendero or Remedy for Mesquite?
Sendero is very effective and great if you are spraying small mesquite over a large area. It is an expensive herbicide, but much less labor intensive because you can broadcast with a boom sprayer and not worry about the grass dying.

Remedy is effective but very labor intensive and will kill everything. You also need to worry about translocation to other tree roots, so you will not want to spray it under live oaks, pecans, or other desirable trees.

Quote:

Jason, the best time to spray mesquite and huisache is when the leaves are dark green, which is now through August.

Epsom salt will work, but you can buy stump killer in a small bottle that is much more effective. If this stump is a mesquite, drill the holes and douse it with remedy (25%) and diesel.

The problem I have on my place is for 20 years before we bought it the previous owners just shredded it. Now I have stumps underground that are as big as my arm and the plant above ground is thin and about 2-3' high. There is no way I can apply enough herbicide to the top growth to kill the root so I actually dig up the soil around the root until I get the down tap and I make sure I get the side bud roots:

This is a recent mesquite I tackled.

Here's the side buds developing. This root is actually not that big but last year the small tree was cut when I baled hay in this pasture.

I normally just spray the tree and this root, but this time I cut it at ground level and sprayed it. Time will tell if it was effective.

I'm glad to read they now are recommending 15% Remedy. That will help with costs. I bought a cheap pump sprayer for application because I thought the diesel would tear it up but I've used it for several years without cleaning it and I've not had any issues. I store it out of the sun... Just make sure you label your sprayers with the herbicide and the dilution you used.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #28
Abctx
Six Point

Try the Pronone Power Pellets for those big root deals. Not cheap, but not near as labor intensive.

I use a 4 ft piece of PVC so I can direct the pellets down to the base of the tree. Especially helps if there’s heavy grass cover or low hanging branches keeping you from getting near base of the trunk. Just drop ‘em down the tube.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
Abctx
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
Does anyone mix with water instead of diesel?
The water mix is for foliar (leaf) spray. Diesel is for basal bark (trunk) spray. The diesel allows the Remedy to “penetrate” the bark.

Conversely, spraying the diesel mix on leaves will burn the leaves off before they reslly have enough time to absorb the mixture and send it to the root.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #30
6.5CM
Six Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Anyone try Crossbow? I think it’s like a 2-4D and remedy mix.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #31
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

I just treated about 300 mesquite, some pretty big ones, 6-8 inch diameter, down to small ones with the Pronone pellets. Have had a couple of good rains since. Waiting on results. They say 6-8 weeks.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #32
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

Quote:
Yep, in spring all it does is kill the foliage for the most part, not the tree.

My new neighbor is a Dow pasture maintenance rep. I’m learning a lot from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #33
RPB
Six Point

Hunt In: A Big Oak,A Big Pecan Tree, and a Fertilizer Tank

Those that want to kill small mesquite, Reclaim is a foliar spray designed specifically for mesquite. Mix with water and a surfactant. It works absolutely spectacular. It will kill other broadleafs around it but that’s just part of it.
RPB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top