Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #51
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
He didn't bring mayonnaise. All is good
WTH is wrong with mayo. Needed for sammiches
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #52
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
We eat like kings as a group on Sat night.. Brisket , pulled pork ribs etc ....all stuff presmoked, packaged correctly, frozen and preheated.. and we mesquite grill a lot of ribeyes, tablitas, fajitas, chicken wings, burgers, jap poppers, etc, etc ....and guess what! We still hunt too!?!....I know unbelievable..

Thursdays and Fridays are good grills as well but not near as involved. We have a gas grill on premises if we are just doing sausage or some quick cheap pork chops on the non Sat nights. Always a big breakfast on Saturdays as well as a group. And we hunted again before it.!! We rarely eat a lunch because the breakfast is big and later. When there is low attendance I will eat sandwiches in place of a late breakfast and grill sausage, boudain and burgers too just for myself.. but camp life is a big part of our hunting lease and if there is a good group of folks in camp, I like to do it up right and usually do most of that cooking.. We eat, we drink, we converse, we laugh and we kill ****!!....
And you drink like Nancys when Clay dub shows up
Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #53
Edward F
Ten Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Granger and Ozona

I bring quick meals to eat at the lease. If I want a good cooked meal I’ll eat in town.
Edward F is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #54
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Oh hell naw. I eat extremely well at home and extremely well on our place. Not skimping on food when i dont skimp on arrows, bows, feeding year round,electricity, and all the other extras!! Just dont make any sense not to eat well. Just sounds lazy not too after spending all that time and money.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #55
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
My buddy in college used to get himself a pack of white bread and a couple cans of dintymore potted meat and eat on that for the week. Stuff smelled worse than the dog food factory in Nac

...hard pass!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #56
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
mustard
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #57
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Worst meal a guest ever brought to eat

Quote:

Mayo fan on my sammich here as well.

Quote:
And you drink like Nancys when Clay dub shows up

Do what? We start with the keystone toast tradition but I end with whiskey or vodka. . Clay breaks out his Zima

Last edited by Smart; 07-07-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #58
Boogieman
Nubbin' Buck

I have been in the opposite boat. A buddy asked me a few years ago if I wanted to go with him to his lease for doe patrol. I brought a fresh bag of crappie filets to which he insisted on cooking. Was awful! Didn't think u could f-up a crappie but this man found a way. Guessing he fried them using the ole low and slow technique.
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #59
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
I would just as soon turn down a hunt as a guest to a nice place to kill a free animal or not offer to pay of gas and ice on someone else boat , then show up with out some thing decent to eat and a bottle or two of my host favorite brand of whiskey as a token of appreciation
I get a laugh each time I see or hear this line. In the mid '90's, a buddies grandparents/parents owned a major industrial contractor, mostly heat exchangers and kept a big boat at the Galveston Yacht Club. We were invited many times to go fish and I made a few trips while in college. Once there was a mover and shaker in Beaumont that was invited and he wanted to pay his part and was adamant about that, which was admirable. The owner kept telling him forget about it, to just load up and let's go and he is walking the dock looking for someone to pay for the ice. He finally gets to the dock master's office and wants to pay for the ice on that boat over there. They tell him it's been handled and put on their tab and he is adamant he wants to pay. Well sir, that will be $700, no, I just want to pay for the ice that's all, yes sir, that will be $700 for just the ice. He was a bit embarrassed to say the least. The guy got seasick and never left the inside cabin.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #60
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Do what? We start with the keystone toast tradition but I end with whiskey or vodka. . Clay breaks out his Zima

[/QUOTE]

Oh. I thought he had yall corrupted and by the end of the trip everyone was drinkin Zima that he brought
Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #61
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

I knew a guy that when he left town on Friday, he would buy a dozen Arby’s sandwiches, just meat and bread, that was for whole weekend.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #62
TexanDuke
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk

Quote:
I grew up working in restaurants so when I feel like it I end up cooking pretty big meals. I do enjoy a steak over mesquite at deer camp but Iím also just as happy with sausage and tortilla.

Heck my wife is leaving town tomorrow for the week and Iím looking forward to having spam and eggs, spam fried rice and loco moco while sheís gone... sometimes the simple things are pretty good

This guy has to be Hawaiian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexanDuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #63
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We eat like kings at deer camp! We are fortunate that our wives are so fond of getting rid of us for a few days... They make all sorts of casseroles both for breakfast and for dinner, then there's always a night or 2 we have steaks, and I mean bigguns... one of the guys is real creative at coming up with the most amazing salads... He usually builds those while I'm grillin'.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #64
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Sausage and egg tacos with sausage that had been in a ziplock in the freezer 3 years and was rancid. Nope
Never kick in on groceries for a long trip with out helping pick out the groceries.
For 6 people on a 10 day deer hunt they bought 24 cases of beer, 2 cases Dinty Moore beef stew, 1 case Wolf Brand chili, coffee, 2 loaves of bread and 1 dozen eggs. I survived on quail and jackrabbits.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #65
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by glpoe1 View Post
OMG, Some people know how to "Meal" and some people just know how to get by. The point is he supplied what he knew how to do, you supplied what you know how to do (yours was better but his was his best). Eat the balonaga and cheese crackers and tell him great job.

This exactly.

The guy is a friend (according to the OP). I wouldnít disinvite my friends from trips because they fail to meet expectations that I never laid out for them. If I invite someone, there are no strings attached. If they offer something up, no matter how small, it is accepted with sincere appreciation.

If itís a joint venture, or they requested the invite, divisions of labor and provisions are clearly delineated.

He helps you fill feeders and brings food. If you think he should do more, tell him. He canít read your mind. Maybe he canít cook a lick and felt it would be inappropriate to bring a meal that his host would have to prepare.

All this to say that heíll probably have no issue providing a meal to suit your discerning palate if he is informed of the camp customs and assured there are willing cooks to do the dirty work.

bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #66
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

If you’re invited to hunt for free at someone’s place, and you know that they eat like kings, and you can’t splurge for some good food? Well, don’t be surprised if you don’t get invited back now if I’m headed to the lease alone, it’s a loaf of bread and a few pounds of homemade sausage links to throw on the grill
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #67
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I loved being a kid and hunting with my dad. He'd pick me up from school at lunchtime and we'd stop by the store. We bought bread, bologna, mustard, Pringles, vienna sausages, sardines in a can, smoked oysters, crackers, pork skins, powdered donuts, honey buns, and plenty of RC cola.

The other day, my mom told me that he has a favorite sushi....the same man described above. What in the cornbread hell?!?!?!?!?
Moon pies are the only thing I could add to that list. Everything else is exactly what my Pop would get.

The gentleman on the last lease I was on educated my with regards to how to eat good at deer camp. Before that, Earl Campbellís sausage would have been a huge treat.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #68
tkuehn5410
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens

Yall might laugh, but I do a 3 or 4 day hunt after Thanksgiving lunch, and all I bring to the lease are Thanksgiving leftovers. I love it, and it's great food!
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #69
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

It wasn't exactly a meal, but some home made venison jerky.

The guy worked in a salt mine and over salted everything he ate. He brought some strips of meat rolled in salt and not even dried. So much salt encrusted on it that it resembled those sugar coated gummy fruit candies...but soft and limp.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #70
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
You sound like a terrible guest to invite, unless your jam up cook wife sent you down with something to heat up

I would just as soon turn down a hunt as a guest to a nice place to kill a free animal or not offer to pay of gas and ice on someone else boat , then show up with out some thing decent to eat and a bottle or two of my host favorite brand of whiskey as a token of appreciation
You sir get it. My dad told me growing up if you don't have the money to go stay at home. I guess how I took it pay your own way don't be a f n mooch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #71
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Nope. Can't stand mayo.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #72
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Sardines in green chiles, some saltines and a can of Van Camps poke n beans.
I like a can of smoked oysters for desert.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #73
TB80
Ten Point

I can go fancy or go simple.

But, to me, the real issue is the lack of communication and/or courtesy by OPís guest. Every hunting trip Iíve been on there has been some communication by both guest and owner on what food will be provided and by whom. Additionally, I think OPís guest showed some lack of tact or gratitude by not splurging on food when invited to hunt and when he knows how OP likes to eat.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #74
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Quote:
I loved being a kid and hunting with my dad. He'd pick me up from school at lunchtime and we'd stop by the store. We bought bread, bologna, mustard, Pringles, vienna sausages, sardines in a can, smoked oysters, crackers, pork skins, powdered donuts, honey buns, and plenty of RC cola.

The other day, my mom told me that he has a favorite sushi....the same man described above. What in the cornbread hell?!?!?!?!?
Sounds like my dad and I when I was growing up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #75
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I guess I have it made, I have friend who invites me out to hunt his lease all the time. He brings all the food and beverages. Won't let me bring the food (which would be steak and taters) and we eat like kings. Lets me shoot whatever I want. He said he is doing the inviting and doesn't want me bringing anything. He also does most of the cooking. But I am also the only one that goes with him to the lease in the off season to fill feeders, move/repair stands, etc., including lease members and he appreciates the free help and I appreciate the free hunts. It is a win win for both of us.

And honestly, it isn't about the food you eat or the critters you kill, it is about the fellowship with friends in the outdoors.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #76
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Breakfast is usually grab and go for me, I'd rather have the extra sleep as opposed to getting up and f'n with breakfast. Lunch is usually brats or burgers, and dinner is the big meal. If someone brings food and pitches in, then I'm not going to gripe. He nor his wife may not cook, and what he brought, he thought he was doing good.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #77
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
My buddy in college used to get himself a pack of white bread and a couple cans of dintymore potted meat and eat on that for the week. Stuff smelled worse than the dog food factory in Nac
Only thing that smells worse than potted meat, is the inevitable potted meat farts. Those should be a torture tactic an GuantŠnamo Bay
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #78
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
We eat like kings at deer camp! We are fortunate that our wives are so fond of getting rid of us for a few days... They make all sorts of casseroles both for breakfast and for dinner, then there's always a night or 2 we have steaks, and I mean bigguns... one of the guys is real creative at coming up with the most amazing salads... He usually builds those while I'm grillin'.
This, if you plan ahead, there is no need to eat baboon butthole sammiches. It's not that hard. Vacuum packed brisket, some easily reheated casseroles in foil pans, crock pot meals.But that's just me.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #79
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
Yall might laugh, but I do a 3 or 4 day hunt after Thanksgiving lunch, and all I bring to the lease are Thanksgiving leftovers. I love it, and it's great food!
That's pretty normal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #80
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Nope. Can't stand mayo.

Gary
Prayers sent. Please say you also can't stand Miracle Whip
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #81
ethic1
Eight Point

Our menu at the lease is pretty similar and thatís for the whole lease. Not a low end lease either.

Friday is hot link, sausage night. Occasional pork steaks or someone will whip something up.

Saturday is steak night.

Lunch is sandwiches unless there are left over hot links.

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #82
MC79
Six Point

Bologna sandwiches taste so much better at the lease.
MC79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #83
SnJGuin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison

I had a guy that wanted to provide dinner for the weekend since I had invited him out. My wife told me I am crazy if i don't take some food just in case and she was right, the guy showed up empty handed. Does that count?
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #84
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Prayers sent. Please say you also can't stand Miracle Whip
Dang. No sir I am a MW fan. But for macaroni/potato salad mainly. Mustard on sandwiches and burgers.

Gary
Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #85
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Breakfast is usually grab and go for me, I'd rather have the extra sleep as opposed to getting up and f'n with breakfast. .

Of course.... plus no smelling like it going to the blind. Breakfast for us is post AM hunt or its an early lunch
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #86
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Worst meal a guest ever brought to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Dang. No sir I am a MW fan. But for macaroni/potato salad mainly. Mustard on sandwiches and burgers.

Gary

Miracle Whip is mayo with sugar in it....If you hate mayo think about using mayo on your favorite foods with it, then sprinkling sugar on that same sandwich or dish ....

Raaaaaalph!..
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #87
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

T A C O S. with a good salsa.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #88
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Taco Soup......

Was Probably One of the Most Entertaining Morning Group text of All Times on the Ranch

PS - I Managed to Skip Eating any
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #89
DRT
Pope & Young

And vinegar.
Mayo is flavorless to me. Gagging.
Gary
Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #90
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Miracle Whip is mayo with sugar in it....If you hate mayo think about using mayo on your favorite foods with it, then sprinkling sugar on that same sandwich or dish ....

Raaaaaalph!..

Word. ďTangy zipĒ my arse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #91
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDuke View Post
This guy has to be Hawaiian

Iím about as white as they come but thatís where Iím from!

We didnít have a house and or kitchen at our lease so bagged salad and rotisserie chicken was on the menu a lot
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #92
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnJGuin View Post
I had a guy that wanted to provide dinner for the weekend since I had invited him out. My wife told me I am crazy if i don't take some food just in case and she was right, the guy showed up empty handed. Does that count?
My wife says the same thing, so I try to keep some simple stuff I can whip up
Try to keep a bag of tatters, eggs, and such , even some spam and lunchables samwich spread
I even try to keep a chocolate pecan pie on the ready
The wife is usually 75% right

And there is no room in my life for Nasty MIRACLE WHIP

From google
“”Is there a difference between mayonnaise and miracle whip?
While the initial basics of mayo and Miracle Whip are the same, egg, soybean oil, vinegar, water, Miracle Whip then goes rogue, adding corn syrup and a proprietary blend of spices to amp it up. ... Turns out, during the Depression, they invented Miracle Whip to be a cheaper alternative to mayo that contained more oil.Feb 7, 2018 “”

Last edited by pilar; 07-08-2019 at 10:00 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #93
ETX_REAPER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottulla Tx, Freestone county Tx, Mexico

I remember deer camp dining growing up being eggs and sausage for breakfast, ham sandwiches for lunch and sausage and bread for dinner, and typically we would have some chips and pecan spinwheels. Every once in a while there would be hamburger or something special and backstrap if some one shot something.
ETX_REAPER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #94
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETX_REAPER View Post
I remember deer camp dining growing up being eggs and sausage for breakfast, ham sandwiches for lunch and sausage and bread for dinner, and typically we would have some chips and pecan spinwheels. Every once in a while there would be hamburger or something special and backstrap if some one shot something.
Do you eat you Spinwheels whole, or do you uncoil?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #95
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I go with the sausage / tortilla /mustard...for change up Sardines/crackers/hunk of onion with anything.......Boiled eggs they keep well (boil at home peel before ya eat stay fresh longer that way)
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #96
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
From google
ďĒIs there a difference between mayonnaise and miracle whip?
While the initial basics of mayo and Miracle Whip are the same, egg, soybean oil, vinegar, water, Miracle Whip then goes rogue, adding corn syrup and a proprietary blend of spices to amp it up. ... Turns out, during the Depression, they invented Miracle Whip to be a cheaper alternative to mayo that contained more oil.Feb 7, 2018 ďĒ

Ahhhh... so it's peasant mayo.....
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #97
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
I go with the sausage / tortilla /mustard...for change up Sardines/crackers/hunk of onion with anything.......Boiled eggs they keep well (boil at home peel before ya eat stay fresh longer that way)
Now youíre just advertising that you are from VAN VLECK
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #98
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:

Brother from another mother. That eats list is almost IDENTICAL to my old manís grub list. Replace the nasty AARA-SEE cola with Coca Cola and Bobís your uncle.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #99
ETX_REAPER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottulla Tx, Freestone county Tx, Mexico

Quote:
Do you eat you Spinwheels whole, or do you uncoil?
Depended on how tired I was or how bored I got in the stand! But none the less I am guilty of doing it both ways
ETX_REAPER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #100
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Spagetti. Worse and cheapest meal ever, period
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top