Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Txaggie16
Four Point

Hunt In: Waller, Texas
Default Looking for some duck hunting property around Houston

Good morning, all!

I am looking for some land to work on in order to make a great hunting property. I am fresh out of school so a lease is not my main focus. I am not against paying for a lease but I am trying to save money if possible. Just trying not to break the bank.

I would like a place to duck hunt. Even if it was a family rice field, etc. I just really enjoy duck hunting with my lab and an occasional guest. I am an ethical hunter and I live to hunt. I also treat other people's property as I would treat my own. If anyone has any property or has any leads on a place that has potential and does not get used, I would like to speak with them about it! Preferably within about two hours of Houston. I would greatly appreciate some information!

Thanks guys!
Txaggie16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

Best of luck friend. I've been after some duck land for years. I've resorted to begging, pleading, crying, and just down right shameful groveling. Honestly your best bet is to find a local group of hunters and offer to be there gofer and carry all the gear and ducks. That way you wont break the bank, and you'll get some action on ducks.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

If there's any good duck hunting land near Houston anymore, the outfitters have it locked up. It's getting harder and harder to get leases even as far as El Campo.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpinner View Post
Best of luck friend. I've been after some duck land for years. I've resorted to begging, pleading, crying, and just down right shameful groveling. Honestly your best bet is to find a local group of hunters and offer to be there gofer and carry all the gear and ducks. That way you wont break the bank, and you'll get some action on ducks.
Thanks man! I appreciate the well wishes. I'm tempted to just start hunting public.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

There's a place

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=736495
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Thank you for that! But I just can't justify that for one season.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
MLank
Ten Point

I'm going to advocate breaking the bank. Hunt as much as you want. Assuming you aren't about to get married and make a kid fresh out if college. If you are, postpone all that and still use all funds on hunting.

"You will run out of time before you run out of money."
MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Gclyde12
Four Point

Hunt In: Junction, Freer

Just piggy backing of what others have said, I’m not sure what you are looking for exist anymore. The cheapest lease on the prarie i believe is Riceland and is around $1,600 a gun and the most expensive is Thunderbird which is around $4,700. Ducks leases are a lot like deer, unless you find a unicorn you will get what you pay for.
Gclyde12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Any lease near Houston is big $. Most the "affordable" leases require group memberships, reserving blinds, dealing with lease politics, all to sit in a taco stand next to a flooded field where you might get lucky and shoot a bird. My advice if you are seriously wanting to hunt, hunt public and PUT IN THE WORK. There are plenty of good public places within 2 hours of Houston to duck hunt. The hard part is dealing with all the duck dynasty wannabes, patterning birds, walking a long way to get away from the crowds, learning what works and doesn't. The effort, or lack thereof, is why most public "hunters" are absolutely clueless and don't do well. It's dang hard, but if you're serious and want to work for it, public is cheap and very rewarding.

Last edited by FVR JR; 07-12-2019 at 12:39 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post
I'm going to advocate breaking the bank. Hunt as much as you want. Assuming you aren't about to get married and make a kid fresh out if college. If you are, postpone all that and still use all funds on hunting.

"You will run out of time before you run out of money."
Best advice so far!

Public land is going to be your next best bet.
Kmart49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
Any lease near Houston is big $. Most the "affordable" leases require group memberships, reserving blinds, dealing with lease politics, all to sit in a taco stand next to a flooded field where you might get lucky and shoot a bird. My advice if you are seriously wanting to hunt, hunt public and PUT IN THE WORK. There are plenty of good public places within 2 hours of Houston to duck hunt. The hard part is dealing with all the duck dynasty wannabes, patterning birds, walking a long way to get away from the crowds, learning what works and doesn't. The effort, or lack thereof, is why most public "hunters" are absolutely clueless and don't do well. It's dang hard, but if you're serious and want to work for it, public is cheap and very rewarding.
Thanks for the information. I am new to duck hunting so I'm sure people see me as a duck dynasty wannabe because of my age. However I have hunted all my life and it is a passion. Definitely a more difficult sport to get into than deer hunting but I will have to learn over the years as you have stated.

Thanks all for the information. I get it that good places are big $. Just for me, I'd rather own a boat for $2,500 an entire year rather than just for 2 months.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
LCT
Four Point

I have one spot open on my group its $1500 call me if your interested
281-914-9077
LCT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

You are pretty far from me, I'm in NE Texas. Me and a couple of buddies group hunt public land if you are ever interested in heading this way. That is a pretty far drive for you though. 9803-421-2504 if you are ever interested.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Scout the public land and learn it well. Over a few years you will learn some great spots...as good as any lease or guided hunt.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

OP, best of luck to you on finding land to hunt on and not paying for the privilege.

Most land owners are either not interested in letting folks on their property, or they're going to want to do a lease.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
OP, best of luck to you on finding land to hunt on and not paying for the privilege.

Most land owners are either not interested in letting folks on their property, or they're going to want to do a lease.
For sure. But thanks for the well wishes!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #18
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
Scout the public land and learn it well. Over a few years you will learn some great spots...as good as any lease or guided hunt.
This will probably be my go-to this year. Thanks for the information!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #19
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpinner View Post
You are pretty far from me, I'm in NE Texas. Me and a couple of buddies group hunt public land if you are ever interested in heading this way. That is a pretty far drive for you though. 9803-421-2504 if you are ever interested.
Thanks man. I appreciate the invite. I will definitely let you know if I find my way up there this year!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #20
droebuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txaggie16 View Post
This will probably be my go-to this year. Thanks for the information!
Just remember to hang in there and hunt different areas and you will find the birds. I duck hunted public land hard for 20 years and the first few years were a struggle but man did it pay off after that. Keep a log book of your hunts with areas, weather conditions, dates and results, it will come in handy down the road as all the hunts tend to run together after a few years. Most spots produce the same year to year with the same habitat conditions. Don't give up early on your hunts either, I've had many hunts where we didn't have a bird at 9am and a limit at 10. PM me during the season if you want some company and I may hit some areas with you although I only make a couple weekends a year duck hunting anymore. Oh and don't ask other public hunters at the units how they did or if they have any birds, you won't get a straight answer anyway.
droebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #21
CTR0022
Eight Point

It's best to not think of it as your money, but as the ducks money
CTR0022 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #22
Hillwhacker
Six Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Contact some of the outfitters to see if they are needing any guides for this season. Definitely the cheapest way to hunt but comes with a lot of responsibility.
Hillwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #23
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by droebuck View Post
Just remember to hang in there and hunt different areas and you will find the birds. I duck hunted public land hard for 20 years and the first few years were a struggle but man did it pay off after that. Keep a log book of your hunts with areas, weather conditions, dates and results, it will come in handy down the road as all the hunts tend to run together after a few years. Most spots produce the same year to year with the same habitat conditions. Don't give up early on your hunts either, I've had many hunts where we didn't have a bird at 9am and a limit at 10. PM me during the season if you want some company and I may hit some areas with you although I only make a couple weekends a year duck hunting anymore. Oh and don't ask other public hunters at the units how they did or if they have any birds, you won't get a straight answer anyway.
Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it! I will let you know if I make it around to hunt this season. Been a hectic year so far!
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #24
Txaggie16
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillwhacker View Post
Contact some of the outfitters to see if they are needing any guides for this season. Definitely the cheapest way to hunt but comes with a lot of responsibility.
Good thinking. I will ask around! Thanks for the thought!
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #25
Blane
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lexington

I would start making contact now with the big outfitters as they start getting prepared for upcoming teal season. Im sure there is work to be done on blinds and that kind of stuff. then by the time season gets here, they know who you are and what you're about. The guides would also know you and may allow you to tag along to put out and pick up dekes. At some point you'll get some trigger time in.
Blane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #26
TA_Fab
Four Point

Hunt public Iíve had many great hunts on public land. Boat or kayak which ever you have or can afford. Picture for a little motivation. There out there just gotta find em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top