Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Default Silver Stag Knives Review

I asked a few days ago and didn't get much response on reviews of the brand so I'll do one for anyone else looking. This will be a multi part review over time, because that's what I was looking for. I'm a gear nut, and a knife nut like many on here but I don't do expensive knives. Wanted to give that context- at $140-200 these are in my usual max range.

I found the knife brand watching deermeatfordinner on youtube. Side note, but an amazing channel if you like the outdoors. He used their signature woods and water a few times and I had to seek it out. Found the fish and gamer on their site and spent a few weeks deciding between the two. Again, no real reviews and they aren't sold in a local store so it was tough. Ordered the fish and gamer in the end, mainly because I have other fillet style knives. Confirmation said 7-10 days to ship. I was bummed, have a fishing trip planned for 7/21. Gave them a call, it was answered on the first try by a really nice lady. Explained it was 7-10 days, told me why (sharpened/polished etc after order), apologized genuinely when I said I should have ordered sooner and we ended the call. No automation, no attitude, genuine concern, +1 for the brand. Got the shipping email today, so it should be here Monday . 7-10 days was 3, +1 for the brand.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I ordered one as a gift after I saw your post.

But since it's not coming to me I won't be able to review it.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #3
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #4
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Knife arrived last night. Well packaged- their box was wrapped in paper which I thought was a nice touch for security and for those that may need the box for a gift etc. They also included a sticker, which I admit doesn't really matter but it does make me smile when I open the box. Just a pet peeve to spend good money on an item and they can't throw in a 10 cent sticker so I can advertise for them lol.

Important bit: Knife feels great in hand. The design is a bit unusual, but that's what attracted me to it. That said, the size/shape/balance work perfectly. Just enough variation in the handle to know that it is hand fitted from natural material. Fit, finish, grind and sharpening are perfect. What I would expect from a custom knife costing more. For those considering this exact knife, it is on the smaller side. If I could have held it in store I may have gone with the woods and water model, but in the end I think this will be perfect for my intended purpose of skinning, general cooking chores, and filet work. It really seems like the best marriage of all the worlds. My current most used knife is a cheap Kershaw adjustable filet that stays on the collapsed setting of around 5" blade so this knife is a perfect replacement.

The sheath is actually what a knife sheath should be, without having to buy another one. For comparison, I have a Helle Mandra (~$180) which is a cool little knife but the sheath it comes with is just sad- thin leather that feels about like the "holster" my nephews cap gun came with. Silver Stag did it right. Heavy leather, well formed with two belt attachment options which is great. I gave it a liberal coating of my homemade beeswax leather treatment and it looks great. I'll get more pictures.

I have a fishing trip planned this weekend and fall is around the corner so hopefully I can put this knife through its paces. Right now, I feel like what I got was worth the $144 it cost. There isn't anything I would have different if I custom ordered the same knife/sheath combo.

Last edited by TexasBob; Yesterday at 08:06 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #5
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

Any idea what the blade dimensions are?
be12hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #6
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by be12hunt View Post
Any idea what the blade dimensions are?
I can take some measurements. Length is 4.25" for the cutting edge. Probably .25-.5 from cutting edge to backbone but I'll check it. Not flexible. More field dressing knife than skinning fillet in that regard. I tend to use a heavier knife for everything but the skinning part of filleting a fish so wasn't an issue for me and actually preferred.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #7
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Default Silver Stag Knives Review

Blade is right at half inch at the widest, tapers to quarter inch at the tip. Handle is about 3/4 wide and just over a half inch at the thickest point. Sharpie for size reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TexasBob; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.