The ups and downs in Trad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ups and downs in Trad

As you all know I posted the thread Finally! I was able to take my first animal with trad equipment. I was super proud of my pig. Fast forward to this past Saturday. Get to the stand early, throw out my mix of hand corn with oats. Close to 5:30pm a small five and a really cool cow horn spike come in to the hand corn. I was up above in my tree stand. Then a doe and yearling go to the feeder. My mind was made up that I wanted the spike as my first deer with my longbow.

I was able to slowly shift and get my bow in position to draw back. I made my draw and the stand made a noise. The five point darted and the spike jumped out a little further to what I later ranged 23 yards. I felt good and was already drawn back. I anchored and let the arrow fly. I heard a drum thump to what I thought was a great angle shot. He dove through a barbwire fence, arrow still in him at a high rate of speed. I sat there full of excitement and adrenaline.

Got down and found his tracks but no blood. Followed the tracks into a large area of broom weeds. Still no blood, or arrow. I replayed the shot in my mind and just couldn’t believe I hadn’t found any sign. I backed out til daylight the next day. My two daughters and I struck out to search for my deer. We looked for another 3 hours, grid searching the area. I ended up having to leave and still no sign of the deer. What a mix of emotions.

Going to go out tomorrow and see if any buzzards are around. Sure hate not finding him. But I will continue hunting with my longbow.
    Last edited by hoythunter28; 10-16-2019, 10:35 PM.

It's a bummer to lose one, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. Hang in there.

Comment

Yep, it can be humbling sometimes!!!!! Like Phillip said, most all of us have been there at one time or another. Not recovering a critter is the lowest of lows in bowhunting, for sure!!

Keep practicing, and better luck next time out!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It's not just traditional bowhunters that have that happen. Too many threads on TBH and other forums every year that compounds, crossbows and guns with the same issues.
        We have a guy on our lease who has shot the same buck twice and the buck survived both hits.
        23 yards is a long shot for many of us. With a slower arrow it only takes an animal taking a step or turning a bit for a kernel of corn to throw a shot off a few inches even if our aim was perfectly true.
        The lessons are hard so that we remember them more clearly.

Gary

Comment

Went out today and threw out some hand corn at a new spot. Hoping when I am off next week I can hit the stand for redemption.

Comment

Good luck!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I don’t know anyone who has been hunting for a while that hasn’t had this experience bow or gun. Don’t get discouraged, keep at it. Good luck!

Comment

Bowhunters remorse is the term we use. it sucks but part of the game sometimes. proceed sir

Comment

Working...
                X