Range finder or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range finder or not?

I hunt in central Texas, from a bow stand and a feeder. Typically set about 20 yards apart and I probably wouldn’t take a shot past 30-35 yards. Is a rangefinder necessary? Do y’all use one often enough to justify buying one?

I have one, but I generally range objects around me and pretend that I can remember how far they are. I’ve used it a lot coyote hunting though.

Comment

I always have one with me. If the feeder is a known 20 yards without an option to shot much further than you probably don’t need one. I have had plenty of shot chances at 30-40 yards and really needed that range finder.

Comment

Take mine just in case

Comment

I range my shooting spots/lanes and put rocks, logs, corn piles, or some other kind of marker at known distances. This way I don't have to have any excess movement when deer are in shooting range. Can adjust my sights accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
            I range my shooting spots/lanes and put rocks, logs, corn piles, or some other kind of marker at known distances. This way I don't have to have any excess movement when deer are in shooting range. Can adjust my sights accordingly.
            X2.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I always carry mine!

Comment

I always carry one...if not just to test my own ranging abilities while i'm bored haha.

Comment

I have always carried one with me no matter if bow or rifle was in hand. BUT, last year during Archery I had two 8’s and a 10 walk in on me and I got popped ranging one of them at 18 yards. In my head I was thinking 20 but ranging said 18 because of elevation in stand. Either way my gut Range would have done it. Too much movement got me so I changed to a rangefinder sight on Bow. If you get one, Range points of interest and remember them so you don’t have to move around outside of letting one fly!
                  Last edited by Spartan22; 09-22-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

A lot of money is spent to bow hunt to not have a $150 range finder. People did it for a long time without one, but that’s because they were unavailable. At least with a range finder, you’ll know it was shooter error.

Last year I missed my target buck because I didn’t range. It was past prime time and the sun had come up so I stood up to take my vest off, and when I did, I had to take off my range finder since I have it strapped around my neck and under my armpit. I forgot to put it back on after I took my vest off. Low and behold, my target deer came in behind me and caught my wind. By the time I saw him, he had just started to turn and walk away. I reached down to grab my range finder and it wasn’t there. CRAP!! Too late now, he’s moving. I stopped him and guess him at around 40, settled my pin and let it fly. It went right over his back. I got down and ranged and it was 32 yards. Had I been able to use my range finder, that deer would be on my wall. Never saw him again.

I say all this because you just never know and it’s better to be sure than sorry.

Comment

I use mine before the season starts. I know how far it is to the feeder and just the other side. I keep my shots to within 25 yards so I don't really need one. Now, if I was spotting and stalking or if I felt comfortable taking longer shots then I most certainly would. no doubt.

Comment

I have mine with me. Sometimes the big buck stands outside the feeder area and you might not know the range.

Comment

Carry mine on every hunt I ever go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            A lot of money is spent to bow hunt to not have a $150 range finder. People did it for a long time without one, but that’s because they were unavailable. At least with a range finder, you’ll know it was shooter error.

Last year I missed my target buck because I didn’t range. It was past prime time and the sun had come up so I stood up to take my vest off, and when I did, I had to take off my range finder since I have it strapped around my neck and under my armpit. I forgot to put it back on after I took my vest off. Low and behold, my target deer came in behind me and caught my wind. By the time I saw him, he had just started to turn and walk away. I reached down to grab my range finder and it wasn’t there. CRAP!! Too late now, he’s moving. I stopped him and guess him at around 40, settled my pin and let it fly. It went right over his back. I got down and ranged and it was 32 yards. Had I been able to use my range finder, that deer would be on my wall. Never saw him again.

I say all this because you just never know and it’s better to be sure than sorry.
                            x2 Happened to me last year except that this deer popped out of no where and didn't have time to range him. Ended up shooting under him

Comment

I range spots where most traffic is from before the hunt so I know the distances. I always take one with me in case a target is at a unknown distance and I can range it without being seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X