Osage Laminates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osage Laminates

Aside from cutting staves for self bows, has any one ever cut strips for laminates? I’m looking for information on how you would do this. I see Osage strips for sale, but would like to make some myself to use on laminated bows.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandsaw would be the easiest way to cut it down into lumber. From there after drying time you can cut the lumber down to thin veneers then use a drum sander to sand them down to final thickness. Depending on how you originally cut your lumber is how you will get the grain patterns in your veneers.

Comment

Osage Laminates

Wouldn’t a thickness planer work best for getting them to final thickness???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Would you handle similar to cutting staves? Meaning, would you want the laminated to be as close to a growth ring as possible? Or would this matter?

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
          Would you handle similar to cutting staves? Meaning, would you want the laminated to be as close to a growth ring as possible? Or would this matter?

I’m no bowyer, but don’t think growth rings mean anything when cutting laminates for a glass bow. Most laminates are cut from dimensional lumber. Cut it off square, then cut strips with the band saw, then get to final thickness on a thickness planer.

Bisch

Comment

I've done it. I used a bandsaw and a thickness sander.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Wouldn’t a thickness planer work best for getting them to final thickness???

Bisch

I don't like using a planer when I am trying to get them that thin. Most veneers I use are 0.030 inches thick some like cedar down to .0250 inches thick planers can mess them up when you get that thin and not extremely careful.

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post

No the growth rings are the grain you see in the veneers and gives you the different patterns. In selfbows you want to keep it to 1 growth ring for strength so the bow doesn't go boom on you. In a glass bow the glass is your strength, veneers are just for looks they don't do anything structurally for the bow.

Comment

Skooter here is an example as I was talking about. You can give the veneers different looks all in how you cut the lumber. Not to mention the shape of the tree can add to the grain pattern also. I borrowed these images from a gentleman's website that I get veneers from to show the differences in grain pattern's you can do based on how you cut the lumber.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone. Some great information. What about drying? If I have a fresh cut tree, do I need to worry about drying it before I start cutting it thin? Or would one cut it down into larger “chunks” and let it dry first? What about cracking?

Comment

Yes sir dry them out when you have them in lumber form. They will dry faster than if you still have them in log form.

Comment

They will dry super fast if you rip them down to 1/8 or 3/16 or whatever your starting thickness for the drum sander is. Just stack them so they don't curl up and twist on ya.

Comment

Thanks again for all of he information. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

If I wanted veneers I would just spend the 30$ and get some that are dry. Now building a selfbow requires seasoned wood. Arvin

Comment

Working...
                            X