Old sabine bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Quick question: last time I checked the atv trail was closed. Is it opened back up? Also rule book no longer mentions helmets and a registration stamp ( money grab crock of $$&%). Looks like you can just unload and go... if trail is open.... correct?
    Atv trail is closed. Still need helmets and OHV decal. That’s not a tpwd rule and they don’t get that money.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Atv trail is closed. Still need helmets and OHV decal. That’s not a tpwd rule and they don’t get that money.
      My point you jump through hoops for no benefit with trail closed. I guess you can walk 4.2 miles and drag a deer out and it be good in early season. Or use the mud boat ramp or the state one that’s full of appliances that we PAY to use

Comment

River jumped up a bunch and Duck Creek is all out of it's banks

Used to be ATV use only on east end on designated trails, have not been down there in a couple of years

Comment

Correct. That “trail” has been blocked for use for at least 3 years. Unless they open it for draw hunts. If you drew one of those compartments you would be out of luck

Comment

Correct. That “trail” has been blocked for use for at least 3 years. Unless they open it for draw hunts. If you drew one of those compartments you would be out of luck
            Well I used it up through the end of January the past 2 years with it being open so you must be talking about a different trail.

Comment

I need to just drive over there and look

Comment

If anyone wants to meet over there for a pig killing feista in the spring, holler at me!

Unless..... the fish are biting, then I'm out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  I need to just drive over there and look
                  Really kinda ironic how close You and white falcon are to sure a resource and don’t even use it. That’s how poorly managed it is imho. Even if it went to draw only there’s no reason it shouldn’t be a major producer of “deer” anyway. Although I would hate to see it go that way
                  We spend enough (way more than any state) to have these areas and they produce squat

5000+ acres of river bottom hardwoods and we kill 1...3....2 deer total a year. I can do better on 10 acres with zero funding

Comment

Really kinda ironic how close You and white falcon are to sure a resource and don’t even use it. That’s how poorly managed it is imho. Even if it went to draw only there’s no reason it shouldn’t be a major producer of “deer” anyway. Although I would hate to see it go that way

We spend enough (way more than any state) to have these areas and they produce squat

5000+ acres of river bottom hardwoods and we kill 1...3....2 deer total a year. I can do better on 10 acres with zero funding

Prettiest white oak bottom I've never seen a deer in! But I've only been a few times and not in at least 10 years and that was after ducks. I'm not mad at ducks enough to do that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The biologist last year told me they have a deer per 22 acres. Sounds like there are deer there I've seen plenty in the woods. You just sound like you have a personal vendetta against that place.

Comment

Originally posted by etxag7 View Post
                        The biologist last year told me they have a deer per 22 acres. Sounds like there are deer there I've seen plenty in the woods. You just sound like you have a personal vendetta against that place.
                        Not to be all negative... but I kinda do.

It’s an amazing resource. That we pay to use(which I’m fine with, cost money to “upkeep”)... although other states charge less or none. You simply cannot cover or use a large portion due to access. When the mud boat ramp isn’t useable you have to use the state ramp off the highway that is not useable every time I’ve been there in past 3-4 years. Mostly due to trash dumpers and erosion. But could be should be fixed. Without access other than your feet you could get an elk off a mountain easier than a deer out of the woods before it ruined. The animal population is what it is. I have simple solutions that would make the refuge money and improve habitat 1000 x.... but I’m no “biologist “

Beautiful place, just too many unnecessary hoops to jump through for no benefit to anyone. Allow access like all other successful wma do and the experience would be better and spread the load out across the property

Comment

Not all biologists are equal. Just like some MLD leases flourish, and some are terrible. I was on one in cass county, they wanted 40 doe and 15 bucks killed on 1100 acres. 5 deer per 100 acres. Crazy right? Crazy part was that more than half the members never saw a single deer from the stand. A total of maybe 6 or 7 deer were killed all year. Therefore I'm kind of skeptical of what some biologists say.

That being said, when I spoke with them at OSB they said that it's hard to keep a sustaining deer population because of flooding. I found that odd simply because everyone knows the sabine river bottom has some giants killed every year, just not at the WMA. I do believe improvements could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                            Not all biologists are equal. Just like some MLD leases flourish, and some are terrible. I was on one in cass county, they wanted 40 doe and 15 bucks killed on 1100 acres. 5 deer per 100 acres. Crazy right? Crazy part was that more than half the members never saw a single deer from the stand. A total of maybe 6 or 7 deer were killed all year. Therefore I'm kind of skeptical of what some biologists say.

That being said, when I spoke with them at OSB they said that it's hard to keep a sustaining deer population because of flooding. I found that odd simply because everyone knows the sabine river bottom has some giants killed every year, just not at the WMA. I do believe improvements could be made.

This is all I’m trying to say ^^^ without being too much an @$$. Rivers flood.... this is about all I hunt is flooding rivers and they are deer Mecca’s. I videotaped deer swimming huge rivers the week after thanksgiving. They swim like fish. I killed a good 8 a few years ago on public land that swam a large body of water. The habitat is why the numbers are low. I won’t call them wrong but I’d have a hard time with believing those numbers on deer. Could be, but I don’t see it being half that

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                              If anyone wants to meet over there for a pig killing feista in the spring, holler at me!

Unless..... the fish are biting, then I'm out!

If river is high enough to unload I may try hunt pigs later in February as well as scout for upcoming year. Need to get boat in water to get to a few spots. Your more than welcome to join, as is anyone. I got a 20’ if water is up enough. If not I may try some “unconventional “ tactics. Lol

Comment

If river is high enough to unload I may try hunt pigs later in February as well as scout for upcoming year. Need to get boat in water to get to a few spots. Your more than welcome to join, as is anyone. I got a 20’ if water is up enough. If not I may try some “unconventional “ tactics. Lol
                                I have a 14' that may be more suited for the task. But that river has to be up quite a bit to go anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X