Hand corn help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand corn help

I hunt on 3200 acres in Tom Green county. We have had great luck corning spots for rifle hunts, and we’d like to replicate that with a bow. I think there are 5 major bedding areas on the ranch. What would yalls advice be to try and corn with a bow? 90% of the time we have a south wind. I’m just trying to figure out if I should lay off of hand corn during certain times of the day. I’m not well versed with how deer move, and I was hoping for any advice I could get. Thanks!

I’d say hand corn the spots you may want to hunt now. Set game camera on video and see which way the deer are coming and going. May take two cameras to get that info. Then set up based on that. If you can’t find a way to access the spot where you won’t get winded then move the set up 50-100 yards until you put yourself in a good spot. Keep up with wind direction and know when it’s going to flip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The truoble i find with hand corning is you cant do it often enough to get the deer use to it being there when they come by.You might want to put a few deer blocks out if you dont have cattle. That will keep them in the area when you can't be there to hand corn. Dont believe the myth about not being able to kill big deer at a feeder. Always hunt when the wind is correct and dont give into hunting a stand if the wind it wrong.

Comment

I shot this one last year over hand corn.

My lease is on my way home from work so I was able to put out corn at minimum every other day. I would usually go in around 3 pm and throw out corn. I killed him the 4th evening I hunted and had thrown out corn and cleared a new shooting lane just hours before. Probably a lot of luck on my part and some stupidity on his tho.

I also have a buddy who hand corns and he only gets to his place every 2 to 3 weeks during deer season. He has bucks regularly cruise thru checking for corn tho even when there isn't any. He shot this one a couple of years ago over one of those spots

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
        Last edited by rolylane6; 07-12-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
          I shot this one last year over hand corn.

My lease is on my way home from work so I was able to put out corn at minimum every other day. I would usually go in around 3 pm and throw out corn. I killed him the 4th evening I hunted and had thrown out corn and cleared a new shooting lane just hours before. Probably a lot of luck on my part and some stupidity on his tho.

I also have a buddy who hand corns and he only gets to his place every 2 to 3 weeks during deer season. He has bucks regularly cruise thru checking for corn tho even when there isn't any. He shot this one a couple of years ago over one of those spots

Those are both great deer but holy crap that top one is awesome! ETX?

Comment

Those boy's are nice, I'm betting that there's a doe behind their demise to go with the hand corn.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
              Those are both great deer but holy crap that top one is awesome! ETX?

Mine was North Texas, just outside Alvord. His was NE Texas near Paris

Last edited by rolylane6; 07-12-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                Those boy's are nice, I'm betting that there's a doe behind their demise to go with the hand corn.
                Mine was just hangin out with a young 3pt and coming to corn every evening just at last light. He was bedding about 200 yds across a small creek from where I was feeding and my spot was his first stop when he headed out for the night. My buddies deer may have been tailing a doe, I'm not sure, but I know he has bucks come thru his spots regularly looking for corn even when he hasn't thrown any out for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by All-State View Post
                  I hunt on 3200 acres in Tom Green county. We have had great luck corning spots for rifle hunts, and we’d like to replicate that with a bow. I think there are 5 major bedding areas on the ranch. What would yalls advice be to try and corn with a bow? 90% of the time we have a south wind. I’m just trying to figure out if I should lay off of hand corn during certain times of the day. I’m not well versed with how deer move, and I was hoping for any advice I could get. Thanks!
                  If you gonna hand corn, hunt down wind of the corn and throw corn when you can, even if you aren't gonna hunt it.

Comment

Man, I'm in TG Co. and we have about 6 permanent hand corn spots where deer destroy it. We try to hand corn 50lbs or so every 7-10 days to two weeks...they will still come back and check the spot routinely. It is a solid gold strategy. We have even used hand corn as a trial run to find a good area and then put up feeders and it goes to poor deer activity...we remove the feeder and hand corn and boom, solid again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                      Man, I'm in TG Co. and we have about 6 permanent hand corn spots where deer destroy it. We try to hand corn 50lbs or so every 7-10 days to two weeks...they will still come back and check the spot routinely. It is a solid gold strategy. We have even used hand corn as a trial run to find a good area and then put up feeders and it goes to poor deer activity...we remove the feeder and hand corn and boom, solid again.
                      Interesting. Are the feeders broadcast feeders or gravity feeders?

I've got a spot that produced good results last year from handcorning. I'm thinking about putting a small tree mounted gravity feeder up that holds about 80 lbs of corn. I'm not able to get to the spot frequently enough to corn as much as I would like.

Comment

I think I may try the trick of hanging a small 5 gallon spin feeder high in a tree this year. I’ve read that some members have had good luck with that method. But I would like to maybe glue felt on the spinner plate or spray it with some sort of rubber coating like “plasti dip” to silence it the best I can.

Comment

It works great until the hogs find it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

The hogs always make things difficult. I normally wait and let my neighbors start their spin feeders up first to draw them over to their property. Then I seem to be able to get away with hand Corning a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by SGrog12 View Post
                              Interesting. Are the feeders broadcast feeders or gravity feeders?

I've got a spot that produced good results last year from handcorning. I'm thinking about putting a small tree mounted gravity feeder up that holds about 80 lbs of corn. I'm not able to get to the spot frequently enough to corn as much as I would like.
                              These spots have ZERO feeders. I literally take a bag of corn and throw it out by hand as wide and sparse as I can so it takes several days to get cleaned up. When I hunt it, I concentrate the corn to my shooting lanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X