No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's late January and thought I would show what some of the plots look like. Even with a heavy acorn crop deer are hitting the fields regularly. I would post pics of the lupines but they are heavily grazed to wiped out. Not much to see.

I sat in a blind Saturday afternoon and had a blast watching the deer gorging on both the small grains and radishes. Here is what the pressure on the radishes looks like. It is the second year I have planted them and as with last year the are all over the radish greens. This year I am seeing pressure on the tubers for the first time.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a clover field planted in Durana and Red Ace red clover. Even though it has been cold it is greening up nicely. Planted in the clover this fall is chicory which is getting a nice start. Chicory can be the 'go to' plant late in a hot droughty summer.
      Attached Files

Comment

Lastly a deer report.

We took a total of 20 bucks and 54 does off the farm this year. That total include Frank's farm as well. The harvest was split fairly evenly between us.

The heaviest doe was 160lbs
        The heaviest buck was 250lbs. A couple of the bucks were 4 yrs old { one a mistake scoring 165" } but all the rest were older.

2 bucks were wounded and never found and I posted a pic of one found dead of unknown causes.

We left a number of terrific bucks that should make next season very exciting. I've been watching the deer closely the last few days and they are in fantastic shape for this time of year. I believe deer condition now goes a long way to defining next yrs. results.

We have started feeding protein and will keep the feeders full thru August.

Comment

One last photo I have to present... The latest effort at coon proofing. 1"x4" wired to the feeder which doesn't allow the coons a place to sit. We put a camera here and a large boar was able to chin up his way underneath the spout. So we dug a hole under the feeder. SO FAR??? it appears to be working.

I suspect we have had in excess of 30% waste due to coons. Will be happy to stop that.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff, el gato.

BTW, I loved the El Gato Ranch video.

Comment

This is fantastic. I've enjoyed seeing this progression over the course of a year. Hard work pays off!

Comment

I have really enjoyed your reports and recommendations throughout the yr. This past Sunday I watched a 12 pt 4 yr old run 8 does (3 are yearlings). After the young ones. That's why is see new fawns in late July. And I planted the Louisiana 1 and it is coming along real nice, deer are hitting it everyday. The Red ace I put along the pond and it has not done well because very little topsoil there. I was surprised to see the clover does has a red in the green. Cool.
                I did not take a buck this year, I did let several walk, and am sure others would have considered them trophy's. And I think food plotting has had something contributed to my life, watching and seeing them in the food plots daily from fawns to where they , we are today. I know it has done the same for the deer.
                Thanks for the good read
                Hope all is well

Comment

Some of you have asked about the buck I call Rolling Stone. He's doing just fine as I got this picture last night. Watching to see when he drops so I can try to find his sheds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Insane! Glad he made through the rut for you.

Comment

Did you order your SH seed yet?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        Did you order your SH seed yet?
                        Yep, got it from Hancock. 100 lbs sitting in my game room.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          Yep, got it from Hancock. 100 lbs sitting in my game room.
                          Good deal. Got mine last week and already did a germination test on it....and I got 100% in my test even though the bag said 75%.

What rate are you gonna plant it? Seems like most of what I read says 15lbs/acre drilled.

Comment

First I'm excited to try it. Perfect field 4 acres, soil can use some enhancement, right in middle of farm. I'm going with 15lbs/acre though maybe slightly heavier [ drilled in to standing rye] . Saving the rest of seed for a couple of spots where I'm not seeing the clover { arrow leaf } take hold like I want. Assume it behaves somewhat like buckwheat...quick to germinate , grows fast.If so figure I can plant it anytime during summer assuming moisture.

Interested in your results and I'll post my results as well.

Comment

This could be the best thread i have ever read! Thanks Rusty! What an amazing read...

Comment

Originally posted by mitchbcs View Post
                                This could be the best thread i have ever read! Thanks Rusty! What an amazing read...
                                Agreed. Please do another one this year or keep this one going. By far my all time favorite thread on TBH!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X